Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mod Switch for Dummies

Default Re: Mod Switch for Dummies

Hi mates,
    First of all excuse me by my english...

Just some new insights about how to enable a mod in M2TW. I noticed that after we install some (major) mods that uses mod switch (even using the --io.file at same time as discussed here) we will lose some game goodies like some event movies in game (assasin and infiltration movies for example). So is clear to me that to have a mod that uses mod switch method working surely and correctly without lose any non moded propertie from the original game we need to have all the data folder from the vanilla copied first and then over it install the data folder from the mod. This way we will have in the end all the vanilla files from the original installation (data folder) plus the mod files itself over it. This is a fault from CA that have a bug on the way the game load files when using mod switch.

Another possible way to surely have all the files (original and moded ones) working correctly (after patch 1.2) is to put all the mod files over vanilla install (in the correctly folders obviously) and run it using just the --io_first method - but if you do so you will lose your original vanilla install. This is why the first option is yet the best.

Another possible workaround is to determine the exact files/folders that the game don't read with the mod switch method (data folder) and then just copy these ones for the mod folder at first. For example seems that the sound files are always being loading from the original install as well some others movies folders from the data\fmv just as an example. After we do this them all mods that uses the mod switch method could correctly inform the users or already have these necessary files on their folder structure. The fall back in this case is that the download size will be a bit huge in size, but yet lesser in size than copy all data folder over the mod folder itself.

In the end is a pity that CA don't provided a correctly way to work with mods. Is really crazy that until now we are discovering faults on the way CA implemeted the mod issue.:hmmm:

Y_filip's Avatar Tiro

Does is wor on Win Vista ?
    I have make have download modswitch V1.2 when iwant try to run it (just to test it)

it crash !!!!!!
    and i got error log ftal error !!!!

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

This program is not compatible with Win 7.
    Which is a shame because I could use a app that creates a vanilla mod for modding.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

You probably need to right click and select Run As Administrator. Also this doesn't create a mod it just create a bat file to launch a mod. If you want a mod folder that is basically unaltered vanilla you should grab the BareGeomod mod folder download.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Japabeaner's Avatar Libertus

Thanks man! This helps a bunch! I'm trying to learn how to mod and I'm going to make one based off of Orochi Warriors haha I'll try and learn every aspect of modding and hopefully I can recruit a team once I get modding experience

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234