Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mod Switch for Dummies

Default Re: Mod Switch fo Dummies

Hi Severdhope I downloaded your modswitcheasy 1.05 I have'nt done much with modding I have LTC mod and added the Heraldry mod.What I want to be able to do is try other mods is this what your mod switch is for.

I believe those mods come with their own mod switch. This just makes a blank one for adding your own files or mixing other mods like I do. I have downloaded several mods, but I don't think I have adopted any of them in their entirety. I think the closest thing to an entire mod at the moment is the diplomacy from Shaba's mod v1.4 and the agents from v1.5
    Idealists are like the captain that knows his destination, but doesn't know how to sail,
    Realists are like a captain who knows how to sail, but not where he is going.

Huge Cathedral Fix
    Mod Switch for Dummies
    Lite Historical Positions Mod - recruiting!

Ok i am a real dummy- how does this actually work? I take I install various mods to /mymod folder, but then what?

run the launch_mymod.bat or make a shortcut of it on your desktop.
    Idealists are like the captain that knows his destination, but doesn't know how to sail,

Huge Cathedral Fix
    Mod Switch for Dummies

Default Mods, Installing mods, Modswitch, io-switch for Dummies

There seems to be a Giant confusion about how to install mods or how to make mods and how to use these features included in the game.

First of all the

Mod switch info:

It was first used, because we had no access to the game, the game could not be unpacked without the 1.1 patch so we couldn't just drop everything into the main /data folder.

So modders used the "MyMod" switch.

So how does it work?

First, if you install any mods, with this switch, you will notice an extra folder named to whatever the mod is, let it be "Darthmod" or "Lands to Conquer mod" or anything.

The mod comes with a batch-file (.bat), which you use to launch the mod.

When you launch the game, - because of the batch file , the game first loads, whatever is inside that Mod-folder and then loads what is inside the /packs folder.

Limitations.
    I am not sure of the whole list of the limitations to this, but so far, no textures or animations would load from a custom created Mod folder. Beside that, modded effects will not load either.

The --io.file_first switch

This handy control switch came with the 1.1 patch and it looks like that it will be the dominating mod switch to be used now on.

What does it do?

Let's go back to an unmodified M2TW. When you launch the game, the game will access the main total war/data folder, but ONLY looks for the following folders:

animations
    fmv
    world
    sounds
    cursor

That's it.
    Everything else gets loaded from the total war/packs/ - folders, including textures, files etc.

So what happens if I put modded textures/text/xml files into my main /data folder?

Nothing.

Why?
    Because the game is loading everything from the compressed .pack folders.

How do I make the game Load the modded texture files?

You will need to use the io.file_first -switch.

How do I do that?

If you downloaded a mod, it probably came with a .bat -file (batch) which included the following code line inside:

--io.file_first

So What is that?

io means ~ Input/Output. file_first = self explanatory.

That simple code line tells the game to look for the files inside the main /data folder BEFORE accessing the .pack - folders.

So whatever modified texture or text file you put inside the main /data folder, will be read in before the .pack file (IF you used the --io switch) and altering your game as your modded files tell it so.

So , what if I delete modded files out of the main data folder, while I have the --io -thingie implemented?

The game will read all the necessary files from the compressed .pack folders.

What if I want to use a mod that uses the "mymod" folder and switch but I also want to use a mod which alters the textures or effects?

You will need to tell your game, to use both.

How do I do that?

First, your mod-switch related mod probably came with a batch file, which upon opening (right click --> select edit from the drop down list), you find something like this:

medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg

You need to add the io switch like this:

medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg --io.file_first

So what does that do?

It will access the "DarthMod" folder first, then goes straight to the main data folder and loads those files/folders as well.

Why is this so complicated?

It isn't. It's very similar to the Oblivion mod installs and many other games, it's actually safer, because you will never have to reinstall your game, because the main .pack - files remain safe.
    If you want to delete a mod, just go inside the main /data folder and delete all the modified files with the exception of these:

animations
    fmv
    world
    sounds
    cursor

What if my mod modified the "world" folder?

First of all, you should have made a backup before you installed, and if the mod was using the Mod-switch (not the io switch), then you are safe, because the modified world folder is inside a /mod folder, similarly to the "bigmap" mod you can find in the mod threads.

Do I have to unpack my files if I won't make mods myself, but only install?

No.

Will the mods work without unpacking my files?

Yes.

Why don't modders all switch to the --io -switch option instead of creating extra folders, and just knowing that textures and effects and other things do not work from the custom mod-folder?

I would say, they will. The only people should keep on using the mymod-switch are the ones who modify the /world -folder, basically making a new map, but even them could start using the --io switch folder, if they warn the people to make a backup folder of the /world - folder.

What if I delete the .pack- folders?
    DON'T DO THAT!
    You will have to reinstall your game.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; January 02, 2007 at 05:34 PM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: Mods, Installing mods, Modswitch, io-switch for Dummies

Must say I don't share your views on the mod folder. For a lot of tasks, using the mod folder is the better option because you don't have to copy out the files and stuff again for each mod.
    However, it's true that some files don't work with mod folders, so if you want to use one of these, you'll have to use io.file_first

I'd always try using a mod folder first though...

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Must say I don't share your views on the mod folder. For a lot of tasks, using the mod folder is the better option because you don't have to copy out the files and stuff again for each mod.
    However, it's true that some files don't work with mod folders, so if you want to use one of these, you'll have to use io.file_first

I'd always try using a mod folder first though...
    I think, we just gonna need a mod-manager program made.

Most people will remain confused about where to put files since both formats are being used.

I think it was a big mistake from CA (modding wise) that the mod-switch doesn't work with textures, otherwise we would have no problem and the -io switch could be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    I think, we just gonna need a mod-manager program made.

Most people will remain confused about where to put files since both formats are being used.

I think it was a big mistake from CA (modding wise) that the mod-switch doesn't work with textures, otherwise we would have no problem and the -io switch could be forgotten.
    In regards to the mod manager program, do you mean something like this?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=912

I haven't used it yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
    In regards to the mod manager program, do you mean something like this?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=912

I haven't used it yet myself.
    Not sure if that works with texture files or mods that require the files placed inside the main data folder. There is no way around those, as far as I know.

Well actually frogbeastegg over at the org put my nose onto a real problem. A lot of the text files aren't actually read when using file_first

I tried replacing export_units.txt for example, and it just didn't generate a strings bin - whereas it worked fine in a mod folder.
    This is pretty weird and really annoying because now we don't have anything to properly work with.

Although, I am currently working on a process of putting the files that aren't searched for in a mod folder into the base data dir, because seemingly they are used when you put io.file_first = 1 in your config, and the rest of the files are then taken from the mod folder.
    One file for which this works is the .modeldb file...
    Last edited by alpaca; January 01, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Well HA actually frogbeastegg over at the org put my nose onto a real problem. A lot of the text files aren't actually read when using file_first

I tried replacing export_units.txt for example, and it just didn't generate a strings bin - whereas it worked fine in a mod folder.
    This is pretty weird and really annoying because now we don't have anything to properly work with.

Although, I am currently working on a process of putting the files that aren't searched for in a mod folder into the base data dir, because seemingly they are used when you put io.file_first = 1 in your config, and the rest of the files are then taken from the mod folder.
    One file for which this works is the .modeldb file...
    Hmmm, that's weird. So basically, the io-switch isnt as dependable as they say so?

It looks like, the best thing to do is to use both, by having the text stuff in the mod folder and having the textures in the core data folder and using both switches at once in the "MyMod.bat".

You know this problem would be a problem and things would be a lot easier, if everything would just work out from the mod folders.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    Hmmm, that's weird. So basically, the io-switch isnt as dependable as they say so?

It looks like, the best thing to do is to use both, by having the text stuff in the mod folder and having the textures in the core data folder and using both switches at once in the "MyMod.bat".

You know this problem would be a problem and things would be a lot easier, if everything would just work out from the mod folders.
    Yep that's exactly what I thought...

Well after actually unpacking the files to the vanilla data dir, the changes started to appear o_O
    Maybe there are some key files the game needs in order for that to work?

Edit: Well figured out that for the text files you need text/filter.san and text/filter.san.chk
    There's probably a whole lot of that kind of thing...
    Edit2: To be sure that your changes work, you'll have to ask users to unpack all the files... That sucks quite a bit
    Last edited by alpaca; January 01, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Default Re: Mod Switch for Dummies

I've downloaded this file, however i don't have winrar. Is there any way i can extract/unpack it without having to download winrar?

Do you have Winzip?

Huge Cathedral Fix
    Mod Switch for Dummies

How do you get this to work with Steam? Ive set this up as far as the .bat and have everything done right, yet when I hit the mod .exe it says failed to find Steam.

horsearcher. you have a good Q&A... that helps dummies like me alot but another question.

I downloaded the smoke everywhere modified files (download section). and I am currently running Big map mod and ultimate AI mod. why cant I simply put those modified files in the data folder under the bigmapmod folder. If the bat file runs those files first.. why doesnt it register the ones I place in there??... makes no sense... the Big map mod already tells it to read its folder first... ? what am i missing....?

so as far as i understand :
    you don't need to unpack your pack file unless you want to mod the game your self
    if you install a mod , there will be smth like modname.cfg file inside the mode folder
    just create a bat file , type the line :
    modname.cfg--io.file_first
    then save and lauch the mod you want with the bat file appropriate
    am i right ? , there's any mistake ?
    _____________________________________________________________________________

to use files in the original data folder, use the file_first command. The mod-switch was required pre-patch, but is no longer necessary. I still use it anyway.

Huge Cathedral Fix
    Mod Switch for Dummies

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Upon trying to start a campaign from the in-game menu, the game tells me "please select an item from the list" or something. This happens when clicking "grand campaign" in the single player menu. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast