Thread: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Default Divinity: Original Sin 2

So this comes out in a couple days (September 14th), looks pretty good. I've played a bit of the early access, but have been saving most of my playtime for full release where all the features will be implemented. This game actually features origin characters, premade characters with their own personal quests and individual goals that you can play as or recruit as companions. Chris Avellone even pitched the undead origin character Fane, really cool stuff. Your companions can even kill main story quest NPC's out of nowhere!.. A ton of old time RPG choices, and I've heard that there are even multiple ways of doing just the very beginning, so there is gonna be a ton of replayability. I'm pretty hyped, I've been waiting for it since it came out in early access, but wanted to play the full release version. "Game master mode", PvP arena, and 4 player coop too, but I doubt I'll ever touch it.

Last edited by SturmChurro; September 12, 2017 at 02:17 AM.

Default Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Damn, you beat me to it.
    This looks really good. Never played the first one/ EA, but I have been tracking progress on this one. And reception has been remarkably good for an EA title.

I def. prefer me some good turn based combat, like it way more than the messy RT+ pause style of BG and it's epigons.

Further pros:

- fully voiced (quite a feat with 1000+ npc's)
    - live orchestra soundtrack

and Larian seems to have a pretty good reputation (no DRM!!!), so I might give it a shot. Question is: will this be as enjoyable in solo mode?

True, I've played Pillars of Eternity recently and the combat is a complete mess, not enjoyable in my opinion at all. Divinity's turn based combat isn't just like any other either because of all the combo effects, and even simply the environment. Like something as simple as raining in game, can have good, or bad effects for your fight, depending on your build, and your enemies. The 5 hours or so of the EA that I played was definitely pretty good, it is much improved on the first one, which also was pretty good, though a bit cheesy.

It is enjoyable in solo mode, but I prefer to play solo, I can never really get into an RPG when I have someone blaring over a headset or something. I'm a very slow player, I like to read lore entires, books, etc. explore the environment and look everywhere, it's not like you get a lesser experience if you play by yourself, but I think that really just depends on the person and their play style. I have no doubt it'd be fun playing with someone or a group, but personally at least for my first couple playthroughs I'd rather just play by myself.

^
    Thanks.

I also absolutely detest playing with headsets. Playing with friends was way better back then, sitting on the couch with your buddies.
    Do you have any idea how many companions we can expect? Besides the 5 on on the front page (who are also playables I guess, according to their introductory videos), I know there is atleast one that was created in a writing competition, but I haven't seen anyone any others in the vids.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; September 12, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    ^
    Thanks.

I also absolutely detest playing with headsets. Playing with friends was way better back then, sitting on the couch with your buddies.
    Do you have any idea how many companions we can expect? Besides the 5 on on the front page (who are also playables I guess, according to their introductory videos), I know there is atleast one that was created in a writing competition, but I haven't seen anyone any others in the vids.
    Well, this game does have couch coop split screen.

There are 6 companions/origin playable characters, If I am right. Red Prince, Fane, Lohse, Sebille, Ifan, and Beast. I don't think a couple are in the EA, the undead origin character isn't on the banner. If it is anything like the first game they will have henchman (generic characters) that you can hire, but I am not sure. I will say this, and I saw it in the early access from the brief bit I played, the companions don't actually have a set class, well they have a default class, but you can actually change them to whatever you want them to be through dialogue at the start when you recruit them, which is pretty cool. I hate it when companions have classes that clash with mine.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

This game is awesome. All the amazing combat of the first one with much better writing, story, and voice acting.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Delicious lizard butt, skeleton booby, THIIC Dwarf woman, what else you can ask for?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    much better writing

Last edited by hellheaven1987; September 20, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Indeed, it's much like the first but better in every way. I thought the first had a bit too much cheese, while this one still has it, but I don't feel overwhelmed by it, it's just the right amount. Companions are interesting, and the voice acting is much better, funnilly enough Sebille's voice actress is the same as the narrator/weaver of time in DOS and also plays the female Inquisitor (British accent) in Dragon Age Inquisition. It can be a rough ride at first before you get the hang of the game especially with the armor/magic armor mechanic, but that adds a whole new layer of strategy. Overall, pretty good, I'd recommend it even at full price which is still not too much of a hit, great price for what you get.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

playing this game felt like getting dropped in to an old school RPG but updated with actually good 3d graphics.

finished it like a week ago, honestly a really solid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    playing this game felt like getting dropped in to an old school RPG but updated with actually good 3d graphics.

finished it like a week ago, honestly a really solid game.
    And the fighting system is so much better than the old real time/ pause formula. I tried it a bit, but I don't know if I would continue playing because it's so linear, and it shows you how linear it is: the levelling system is way too restrictive. Generally, I prefer the somewhat linear progression over Skyrim, where you have a complete sandbox, which hurts storytelling and requires a system where everything gets scaled to your level. But Divinity is too much in the oppsite direction. Since one level makes so much a difference and the fights are pretty beefy, you basicially feel railroaded where you have to go. While the map may be pretty open, the levelling system tells you exactly where you have to go and where not to. I often had the situation where I ventured out, realized that everything in the area is too strong, and consulted a walkthrough if I missed some quests to scrape the needed XP to progress further.
    A linear game like the typical JPRG is cool by me, but having a pretty linear game dressed like an open world is annoying.

Also, while the Origin characters are not bad, it seemed that there were very few interactions between them/the player. I know they can clash in the later game, but I was disappointed in how little they had to say, apart from the one liners to comment some situations. Since they concentrated on 6 fleshed out characters, compared to the dozen companions in BG2 etc, they could've done more in this department imo.

Still, a commendable effort and all in all, a very much needed modernization of the cRPG. The makers of the Planescape or PoE games could learn a thing or two from Larian, what the difference between aemulatio and epigonism is.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; October 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM.