Thread: XAI: Vanilla Units optimization

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default XAI: Vanilla Units optimization

XAI: Vanilla Units re-balance
    This is a vanilla units re-balance that is a WIP. It currently changes the moral and costs of units.

XAI is a core improvement mod and designed to fix most of the vanilla issues that are present in the game. XAI modules are designed and balanced to work together as a complete mod. Its main purpose for being modular is easy adoption for other modders, easier troubleshooting, and updating.

Having higher morale so they fight longer without fleeing and it also changes the maintenance costs of vanilla units to be a standard of 50% cost of the original value. This is designed to work with XAI: Dynamic stances module and the XBAI.

This module is required for use with the XAI: Advanced Battle AI, for best performance.

There are 4 levels of troops training; Poorly, trained, well, and elite. If they were miscategorized by this then their moral level will be wrong. It is up to you guys to report these to me so I can correct them.

I did not see a need to do any changes to the basic units stats like melee and stuff at this point. Morale is the biggest issue with the units, and I have now calibrated them to the XAI system of morale. This would be a HUGE undertaking and I would need a team of people to redo the units table, the right way.

Here are the changes to morale
    Poorly trained got a big boost of moral from 23 to 30 (this may need to be lowered a few points)
    Trained is now set to 42
    Well trained is at 55
    Elites are all now at 65!!
    No more ridiculous numbers like 108!! This is where the biggest discrepancies were. Your generals are about where they should be now, and all those uber units only have their other stats to fall back on. They are now breakable but it will take some doing I am sure.

This is an optional module but balanced for use in the XAI
    XAI Modules- designed for the Grand Campaign
    XCAI: Advanced Campaign AI * (1)
    XBAI: Advanced Battle AI * (1)(4)
    XDAI: Advanced Diplomacy *
    XAI: Bug fix compilation *
    XAI: Dynamic Stances and Movement ! (2)
    XAI: Vanilla Units ! (2)(4)
    XAI: Leaders, Skills, and Offices! (3)
    XAI: Family, Fame & Honor! (3)
    XAI: THARBBG module + (3)
    XAI: Advisors, Generals & Wives +
    (*) is required, (!) highly recommended for best experience, (+) optional modules
    The numbers denote they are balanced to work together with those modules.

This module is 100% my work and you may not use my work without permission on any other officially released mods or projects anywhere on the internet or for any other Total War game. Please be specific about issues you may find and use the modules to isolate issues, by deactivating or activating them.

This is still a WIP and there will be a lot of work to do on units, feedback is welcome

You may download HERE

Last edited by xeryx; September 29, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Default Re: XAI: Vanilla Units optimization

It's a good start. But don't you think the health stat is a bit ridiculous too? Maybe it can be done according to the trained factor... Of course, this will need adjustment of other stats in turn.

Viking,
    Yeah it is a big task for sure. I like the idea though I would need to get a baseline as to what middle ground value to go for men. Maybe, you can help with that?
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Well, not sure actually. I never modded that part of the game. It's a complete overhaul we are talking about here that involves all kinds of balancing, including missile damage, accuracy, etc. If you make health too high, I guess warriors will walk around with three arrows sticking from their head. Too low and each arrow will be an instant kill. At least, that's how I think it works, but not sure. I can be totally wrong here, but it seems quite complex, if you ask me. Also, I'm not really sure how health works, because the health from the encyclopedia doesn't match the one from the actual game anymore. I think it used to match, though.
    Last edited by Viking1978; September 19, 2017 at 07:38 AM.

I did some work to change the health hit points and mass on men in the BAI. They will be more consistent with real life. I was able to cover this in the general fields so it was actually pretty easy. Now I could remove all the "bonus hitpoints" from the vanilla units stats. But I don't think that is a good idea ATM. This is where the big problem lies. however, some units need buffs to keep them in the fight longer. This could really open up a can of worms actually. So for now, I will just stick with the basics.

I will put put that up for upload sometime soon.
    Last edited by xeryx; September 19, 2017 at 07:12 PM.

For anyone interested in helping with XAI, please PM me. I have a large project that I would like coordinate amongst other team members, if you are familiar with PFM, and have tinkered around with modding. That is really the only requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    For anyone interested in helping with XAI, please PM me. I have a large project that I would like coordinate amongst other team members, if you are familiar with PFM, and have tinkered around with modding. That is really the only requirement.
    If your'e looking for a starting point, I'd take a look at the 2015 award winning mod "Tuskmod" by Wallrusjones. He activated a few unit stats that were dormant since Shogun II, and made many balance changes that improved the base gameplay. It got a lost of play testing as well. I think because it ONLY balanced vanilla units and didnt' add new ones are flashy new graphics, it's been overlooked, but for balancing, it has to be one of the best mods available for Attila.