Thread: [Request] Arrows might hurt but fire arrows hurt more.

Default [Request] Arrows might hurt but fire arrows hurt more.

This is a plea for any talented modders out there to design fire arrows more realistically. What made them such a terror on the battlefield was the horrible cries soldiers heard as their comrades were pierced and burned alive. Rather then displaying just another different type of missiles, it would be more convincing if victims burned and screamed like when hit by a flaming onager. The morale penalty would be much more justifiable!

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Request] Arrows might hurt but fire arrows hurt more.

Fire arrows were not used in field battles and even in sieges they were not a common thing. Due to how fire arrows were made, they were actually far less accurate and had FAR less range, required weak bows (since fast flight over long range would cease the fire), piercing capabilities were also smaller. They were never a terror on the battiefield, never. You would be lucky if even siege equipemnt would catch fire, in case of ships it was impossible to burn them with fire arrows unless you hit the sail, because the wood can't catch a fire from such small source of heat (not to mention that the wood on ships is also not dry). If we would make them really realistic, we would take them away from the game or just allow them in siege battles for limited amount of factions.

Just because they look cool in movies it does not mean that they were a regular thing in history.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; June 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Fire arrows were not used in field battles and even in sieges they were not a common thing. Due to how fire arrows were made, they were actually far less accurate and had FAR less range, required weak bows (since fast flight over long range would cease the fire), piercing capabilities were also smaller. They were never a terror on the battiefield, never. You would be lucky if even siege equipemnt would catch fire, in case of ships it was impossible to burn them with fire arrows unless you hit the sail, because the wood can't catch a fire from such small source of heat (not to mention that the wood on ships is also not dry). If we would make them really realistic, we would take them away from the game or just allow them in siege battles for limited amount of factions.

Just because they look cool in movies it does not mean that they were a regular thing in history.
    Yup, fire arrows weren't really used in antiquity.

I don't know how to post a video properly on this forum.
    Btw, check this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTd_0FRAwOQ
    Last edited by Tenerife_Boy; June 20, 2017 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Lol awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Exactly the one I wanted to link. OP, fire arrows were almost not used in history. Piercing power, that's where it's at.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

I honestly wish there was a submod that removed fire arrows from outside of sieges, if that was possible.

I'm not sure now but, aren't already other types of arrows ingame? 1 more penetrating (heavy arrow?) and one whislt arrow? oh and the poisoned arrow...or am I confused with other title?

In Rome II, there are heavy shot, whistling shot, and poison arrows are from TW:W

There are poison arrows in Rome 2. Or at least we had them in DeI at one point. Though I think we removed them because the AI would use them all the time and it wasn't terribly effective. Oh, and they're in Attila too, for the Slavic factions. But they're extremely powerful in Attila, hehe.

Besides the point that they weren't even actually used in battle, there's no way a fire arrow would ever hit a person and burn them alive unless they happened to be soaked in animal fat or whatever accelerants were used at the time. There's a mod called Radious i think you'd really dig, OP.

I think fire javelins is actually more realistic than fire arrows. I'm of the opinion that all fire projectiles be useless against units, only for use on ships and buildings. (and also that you should re-implement fire javelins, especially for marines.) They should all have severely reduced range too. Otherwise I think you should probably remove them from the game.
    Last edited by JPrice94; September 16, 2017 at 06:33 PM.

Foederatus

You know, I can recall Slings and fustibalus/sting-staff's being used to throw incendiary and quicklime-filled containers during sieges. There is also a passage in de bello gallico about the usage in one siege or other.

Technically, In my opinion, a heated (Or possibly red-hot) stone would be far better as an incendiary projectile than any fire-arrow could ever be, as it would be capable of being extremely hot for a far, far longer period of time, and if that thing strikes even a hint of straw, fabric or tinder-like material, it would be going up in flame in moments. Thick beams of wood is more iffy, as you'd be wanting to get the other stuff going up in flames first, but you could certainly put a singe on that thing.

And, IIRC, there was a medieval siege in Finland where staff-slingers hurled ceramic jars filled with red-hot iron filings... that would screw somebodies day up real bad!

So, if anybody wants to make a mod with incendiary-equipped slingers, or have it replace fire-arrows for slingers you won't see me saying no.

Ceramic jars with hot projectiles inside is a good idea, the ceramic insulates the projectiles inside from cooling down in the air.