Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [submod] Slower AI Expansion

Default Re: [submod] Slower AI Expansion

I came here to cheer you up guys, very needed submod

Ah very nice! This is exactly the mod I was looking for. I hope for a good success! Greetings

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Here is the first version of what Joysong and I have been working on. The factions have been split up in 45 different groups, which each have unique preferences for what to do when they occupy a town (although about ten faction groups are for the campaigns for the DLC's). This deviates from the original mod by CIAagent11, in that there is much more difference between different factions, and overall there will be less liberating, and more of the other options will be used. We put quite a lot of points in vassalizing for example, although the AI seems a bit reluctant to use this.

Some examples of faction preferences:
    -Rome likes to conquer
    -Eastern factions generally like to vassalize
    -Greeks have a lot of points in liberate
    -Barbarians really like sacking

Remember though that the decisions the AI makes are in the end random, so there is no guarantee everyone behaves as we'd like them to behave. Everyone has at least one point in occupy, to not curtail them too much. Still compared to vanilla DeI there should be less empires forming, and more liberating, sacking and vassalizing. AI expansion should really be a lot slower. (With the notable exception of Rome.)

I would also like to stress that this is very much a work in progress, these are by no means the perfect settings, but we are happy enough with them that we want you guys to be able to enjoy this, and hopefully give feedback. Please try this out and share your experiences, so that we can improve this further.

@slower_expansion_modified_v05.zip

Greek strategos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
    Here is the first version of what Joysong and I have been working on. The factions have been split up in 45 different groups, which each have unique preferences for what to do when they occupy a town (although about ten faction groups are for the campaigns for the DLC's). This deviates from the original mod by CIAagent11, in that there is much more difference between different factions, and overall there will be less liberating, and more of the other options will be used. We put quite a lot of points in vassalizing for example, although the AI seems a bit reluctant to use this.

-Rome likes to conquer

Remember though that the decisions the AI makes are in the end random, so there is no guarantee everyone behaves as we'd like them to behave. Everyone has at least one point in occupy, to not curtail them too much. Still compared to vanilla DeI there should be less empires forming, and more liberating, sacking and vassalizing. AI expansion should really be a lot slower. (With the notable exception of Rome.)

I would also like to stress that this is very much a work in progress, these are by no means the perfect settings, but we are happy enough with them that we want you guys to be able to enjoy this, and hopefully give feedback. Please try this out and share your experiences, so that we can improve this further.

Will test it and report back.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mepper View Post

-Rome likes to conquer

This might be a dumb idea but will this be save game compatible? Or will it ruin my current campaign? (At about 35 turns in)

Thank you for the effort and dedication in putting this submod up, I imagine this brings a fresh new experience in campaign!

I for one would like slower expansion so that I can at least meet and immerse in all the creative cultures and units DEI has made, as usually smaller factions are destroyed before I can even meet them - I refuse to spoil myself in seeing them in Custom Battle for immersion's sake again.

Although I like the Vanilla DEI as well, there's something great about being part of two or three super powers going toe to toe evenly after a build up.

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Asve View Post
    This might be a dumb idea but will this be save game compatible? Or will it ruin my current campaign? (At about 35 turns in)
    It should be savegame compatible. This just changes what the AI decides to do when it captures a settlement, so it should in theory just affect future AI decisions, and not mess with your save. Although I admit that I haven't tested this yet.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Just wondering is it possible to start a campaign with this mod active, then turn it off later when I feel I'm ready for the AI to expand?
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Slaxx Hatmen View Post
    Just wondering is it possible to start a campaign with this mod active, then turn it off later when I feel I'm ready for the AI to expand?
    Yes, that should work just fine.

In my current game, the Lusitani and Editani are perhaps a little bit too strong, they just come across Iberia. I have concerns when I march in as Rome there, that I there only those two factions will find times apart from Carthage.

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Sedulus View Post
    In my current game, the Lusitani and Editani are perhaps a little bit too strong, they just come across Iberia. I have concerns when I march in as Rome there, that I there only those two factions will find times apart from Carthage.
    Hmm, that is not really how we'd like them to behave. I don't know from the top of my head in which faction group they are, so I can't directly change their behaviour. I'll have to ask Joysong, he is the one who digs in the files to see specifically what faction is in which group. He currently doesn't have time though, but should be available again in the weekend. It might be that they just got lucky and rolled occupy or raze a lot of times, but if this behaviour is seen in more campaigns we will nerf their expansion chance even more in in the next patch. Some factions are quite reluctant to stop expanding (the Odrysian Kingdom for example).

Just out of curriosity: Are there a significant amount of vassals and satraps being established? We really have put a lot of points in that, but somehow the AI really -at least in my games- likes liberating and occupying a lot more.

Thanks for the feedback

No stress! If I am honest, I do not really notice this with the satrapies, or had no eye on them. However, I have noticed that Leptis Magna has formed a new faction, Lybia. I had so far in no games. Also, Sinope is again grown up which was previously taken or extinguished by Galatia. So it looks quite good. Let's see, maybe something is going on in Iberia in this direction.

With pleasure!

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Those Iberian factions were celtic, just like the Odrysians. I have nerfed the expansion chance of every celtic faction to 10% (0.5 point in occupy, 0.5 in raze or loot). To keep the total at 10 points per group the leftover points were added to either liberate or vassalize.

I have the feeling that this and previous versions cause quite a lot of liberations, we will try to lower this number in next versions in favor of vassalizing.

@slower_expansion_modified_v06.zip

That is, I can start a new game ... :-)
    Celtic? Is there no Iberian or Celt-Iberian group for Iberia?

Mepper's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Sedulus View Post
    That is, I can start a new game ... :-)
    Celtic? Is there no Iberian or Celt-Iberian group for Iberia?
    1. That is not necessary, you can simply update the mod and continue playing, that should be no problem. Unless you want to start with these settings of course.
    2. No, there is no Iberian group. There are 'minor_celtic', 'minor_celtic_alternative' and 'playable_celtic'. Lusitani is 'playable_celtic' and Edetani is minor_celtic.

No, I like to start again. It`s not a problem. :-) Already to see if the settings have brought something to the Iberian fractions.
    Ah ok, good to know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3