Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: DACA and Pres. Trump

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: DACA and Pres. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post

They extended the gov for 3 weeks on the basis of a promise by Schumer, now if republicans fail to deliver the shutdown is unequivocally their fault.
    Sen. McConnell and Sen. Schumer made promises to each other. No other Republican or Democrat is on the hook for these promises. So how is the entire Republican Party on the hook and the entire Democratic Party free and clear? Bias showing? Perhaps?

Elfdude:
    To quote the most recent thorough study from Seattle removing the minimum wage removes the lowest rung from your economy and promotes more businesses to rely upon more skilled labor, there's an equal loss of low skilled hours compared to the gain in high skilled hours and there's a surplus gain in economic activity which in turn means more revenues.
    No link and I cannot find a link -- probably my stupidity. I think it is from U of W but all I could locate was Charles Clotfelter and Jacob Vidor which do not seem to list the study as their published work.

Edit: So it was Schumer and not Trump that led to the breakdown of the Schumer - Trump negotiations on the wall. Schumer promised on tenth of what it would cost or one year funding and wanted a full enchilada of DACA in exchange and then withdrew the inadequate offer. He then went out to the media with his Jell-O comment and the media ate it up (pun intended). http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...withdrawn.html
    Last edited by NorseThing; January 23, 2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added an edit

DACA death squads are outside Schumer's house for selling out.

He gets what he deserves. Democrat leaning media have weaponized their own extremists for the past year, if they trash his house, it's entirely liberal media's fault.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Piett View Post
    Line item veto power would get rid of this BS permanently. That way the Senate can put budgets on the desk of the President and he can veto the side unrelated pork of whatever he wants while actually getting the budget going.

That might take a decade or five of work.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/exper...medium=twitter

Plan laid out:
    -path to citizenship achievable in 10-12 years
    -strong reduction to chain migration, only spouses/minors, 25% reduction in arrivals
    -no more diversity lottery
    -25$ bn border wall

I think it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/exper...medium=twitter

Plan laid out:
    -path to citizenship achievable in 10-12 years
    -strong reduction to chain migration, only spouses/minors, 25% reduction in arrivals
    -no more diversity lottery
    -25$ bn border wall

I think it's acceptable.
    Your link states that this is simply a rewording of the Trump Administration plan. I still want to see US Senators getting on board before I think a bit about acceptance. The Democratic US Senators have put themselves into a tight space here. If they cave to Trump, the much farther to the left will make life a bit hard with primary challenges. If they fight Trump, the more reasonable voters will flee the Democrats in the next election. If I was a Democrat, I would be wanting Sen. Schumer out of the leadership about now.

Well, it pretty much is. The 10-12 years timeframe is sort of necessary to make it reasonable to much of the immigration skeptic base of Trump while getting serious concessions on curbing both legal and illegal flows.

As for Dems, they are no different than mainstream Reps. I don't have much respect for the current political class of the West. Trump is leading a much needed refreshment.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Well, it pretty much is. The 10-12 years timeframe is sort of necessary to make it reasonable to much of the immigration skeptic base of Trump while getting serious concessions on curbing both legal and illegal flows.

As for Dems, they are no different than mainstream Reps. I don't have much respect for the current political class of the West. Trump is leading a much needed refreshment.
    I am not a Democrat and I have some real concerns with moving the goal posts to 10-12 years from the current policy of having a green card for 5 years. I am just saying it is little things like this that disrupt what on the surface seems reasonable. I have not problem with the clock starting from now, but do not make it different from other legal residents. This is how we have the mess with other temporary residents than are temporary for a decade or more. So yes, I am concerned about the proposal and about what you may find acceptable.

Edit: I think the biggest problem will be accusations from conservatives about amnesty. Trump needs to craft the proposal to only include people who were minors at the time of entrance into the USA and were accompanied by a guardian / parent. Holding a minor up against the amnesty accusation is easy to defend, but only if they were acting in conjunction with a parent or guardian that could be held liable. This will get quite a bit messier before it becomes a law.
    Last edited by NorseThing; January 25, 2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: addded a bit at the edit

I don't think the 10-12 years necessary to acquire citizenship start from now or whenever the legislation is passed. It'll be retroactive starting from whenever DACA started. Essentially, demonstrate you can support yourself and pay taxes gets you a legal permit and if you do that long enough, it earns you the citizenship.

I still wouldn't do it as long as Democrats abuse identity politics to capture the Hispanic vote and make it a white vs non-white issue, but that's another story.

The Senate has begun debate on DACA. I use a rather broad definition of words such as 'begun and debate' since the Senate has yet to actually debate the issue, not in front of the cameras in the Senate Chamber.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ll-vote-failed

So the Democrat bills get no support from Republicans and the Republican bills get only a small token of support. No 60 vote support on anything. I wonder if there was a vote on the sun rising in the morning whether the Senate could support the idea?

Limbaugh said, "I would be willing right here to support an effort to grant
    permanent citizenship to whatever number of illegal immigrants there are in
    the country tomorrow if you will make as part of a deal they can't vote for
    15 to 25 years. And if they will agree to that, then I'll grant them
    amnesty."
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/19/ru...ressive-on-imm
    Read the whole article at the link.

I do not particularly like the idea of residents becoming citizens but not voting citizens. However it is a position that take away a bit of the critique that all the Democrats want is more Democrat voters.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/19/ru...ressive-on-imm
    Read the whole article at the link.

I do not particularly like the idea of residents becoming citizens but not voting citizens. However it is a position that take away a bit of the critique that all the Democrats want is more Democrat voters.
    It shows that the reason Republicans oppose granting them citizenship is because they'll vote Democrat, which is the reason the Democrats support granting them citizenship. Few people actually give a crap about them personally.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

DACA is again in the news thanks to the DC Federal Court:
    A D.C.-based federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to restart in full the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
    The decision is the latest legal blow against President Donald Trump’s decision to phase out the Obama-era program, which offers deportation relief to undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.
    Judge orders full restart of DACA program - read the full article at the link!

It seems the judge has taken offense to the reasoning of why a Presidential Executive Order has been reversed. “The court has already once given DHS the opportunity to remedy these deficiencies — either by providing a coherent explanation of its legal opinion or by reissuing its decision for bona fide policy reasons that would preclude judicial review,” said Bates, “So it will not do so again.”

I was not aware that any Executive Order reversal is even subject to judicial review. I realize the original order would be subject to such review, but a reversal of the order? This is insanity. Trump has requested Congress to act and they do not or at least have not as of today. That alone would justify the reversal not being subject to judicial revue. The silence of the legislature can indeed speak loudly.

Of course this may be on it's way to appeal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    It shows that the reason Republicans oppose granting them citizenship is because they'll vote Democrat, which is the reason the Democrats support granting them citizenship. Few people actually give a crap about them personally.
    That is a valid concern though. For a straight forward issue like enforcing existing immigration policies and border security to get this controversial is already a symptom of cancer for this country.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678