Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Looks like the peak players for WH 2 so far is 70,165, how does that compare with other recent TW titles?

111,909 WH1
    26,237 Attila
    118,240 Rome 2

Not bad at all

Attila was 45-50k at launch , not 26k.

Source:steamgraph.net

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Outrageous bugs? There are only a few minor ones from what I've seen, the largest one being units that seem to auto-cancel orders during battles, but CA has already addressed that and said they're working on a patch.
    This. Although bridge battle AI isn't very good. "Outrageous bugs" was Rome II, this release is pretty smooth.

On another note, mods have done wonders for this game as they usually do. 4x vortex resources for rituals is a great addition. If you're looking for a sandbox experience, theres x999 vortex rituals needed which makes it pretty much impossible for rituals to even happen, let alone the end game.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Actually AI is way better, overally..of course there are problems in some areas but overall AI is way way better. There are problems especially for Skaven as they are not an average race/units. Sieges battles are same not worse and naval combat is missing but the same was true for WH1. Overally many things will be tweaked in time with updates,patches and generic factions will be changed to fully fledged out ones. So far no real trouble or failure. Looks at users score. Great! Plus a lot of features is still ahead like Mortal Empires... :-) It´s fialure only in eyes of these ,who wanna see failure...

Like if you compare it to WH1 it is already way better. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; October 06, 2017 at 03:32 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

If you aren't aching for money and at least somewhat enjoyed the first game, I'd recommend it. Especially given how the steam workshop is now up and running.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I would add, if you havent bought this and only wanted to play historical gajes then I would suggest not to buy Warhammer.

My experience playing Warhammer is that my experience historical game for the past 15-16 years suddenly feels so bland.

Can't imagine what more exiting new feature that can be introduce for the next Total War historical game, even if it's based during China's warring states or the wars of the 3 kingdoms.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Outrageous bugs? There are only a few minor ones from what I've seen, the largest one being units that seem to auto-cancel orders during battles, but CA has already addressed that and said they're working on a patch.
    How about these:

1) My Doom Engineer blew himself up at a city, and even though he succeeded (of course...), when I laid siege to and attacked the city in the very same turn, all of the walls were intact on the battle map, despite the fact that even the settlement info panel stated they were damaged and had breaches in them.

2) Another issue I had last night was that I cleared a town of its garrison, but sacked it instead of razing or occupying it because I needed the money and the slaves. The following turn, a small enemy army entered said town, so I thought I'd go back and kill them too, no problem. I did so, but the garrison had respawned with full force and health in a single turn... :-\

And I'm sure there are a lot more like these.
    Last edited by r3dshift; October 06, 2017 at 06:09 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I would add, if you havent bought this and only wanted to play historical gajes then I would suggest not to buy Warhammer.

My experience playing Warhammer is that my experience historical game for the past 15-16 years suddenly feels so bland.

Can't imagine what more exiting new feature that can be introduce for the next Total War historical game, even if it's based during China's warring states or the wars of the 3 kingdoms.
    Ill get around to WH 2 eventually but my experience with WH 1 was exactly the opposite of yours. I've played all the Total Wars and never have I gotten bored as fast as I did with Warhammer 1. I won't generalize my experiences though and neither should you. I think it's probably more about whether the individual finds WH world interesting.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Ill get around to WH 2 eventually but my experience with WH 1 was exactly the opposite of yours. I've played all the Total Wars and never have I gotten bored as fast as I did with Warhammer 1. I won't generalize my experiences though and neither should you. I think it's probably more about whether the individual finds WH world interesting.
    I'm not selling the game to anyone, yet everyone can generalize their experience in whatever games all they want in a forum. I dont find Warhammer world that much interesting either.

The Sengoku Jidai period is one of the best era for me anyway but when talking about games, seeing that how Warhammer and now Warhammer 2 developed and being fantasy, it does not really restricted in whatbelieves or not compared to historical games in terms of overall gameplay experience. Well, again I'm not sure how the next historical game can top that (talking about new historical title, not saga and DLC for Rome2/Attila) while maintaning the historical feel.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
    How about these:

1) My Doom Engineer blew himself up at a city, and even though he succeeded (of course...), when I laid siege to and attacked the city in the very same turn, all of the walls were intact on the battle map, despite the fact that even the settlement info panel stated they were damaged and had breaches in them.

2) Another issue I had last night was that I cleared a town of its garrison, but sacked it instead of razing or occupying it because I needed the money and the slaves. The following turn, a small enemy army entered said town, so I thought I'd go back and kill them too, no problem. I did so, but the garrison had respawned with full force and health in a single turn... :-\

And I'm sure there are a lot more like these.

The first sounds like a bug, but an outrageous bug? Empire had outrageous bugs. Rome II had outrageous bugs. That just sounds like a minor feature not properly working once.

The second one has been in for a while. AI gets huge bonuses to replenishment, especially for settlements.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Yup, especially if you let enemy one turn to repair city. You can be outraged that AI is having such high bonuses that Agent actions are almost worthless but it is not a bug. The first problem could be related to dmg done to structures. Walls have HP. Its possible your agent did dmg but not enough...at least my interpretation. Or maybe just gates were open ;-) Definitely not a gamebreaking bug in comparison with Rome 2,Empire... but then,your choice anyway :-)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Def a pickup on sale for me simply because I'd like to know how many DLC's will be released.

Also I still think the series needs a new engine. I have been watching lionhearts and Vulcanhdgaming vids and the game looks really fun! But and there's a big but. The battles are still fast paced and I have noticed when you watch lionhearts games especially you dont actually see much of the close up fighting because he is too busy controlling units zoomed out.

Ok you say! It still looks fun but I have noticed when you zoom into the actual fighting the units hitting each other seems off to me. They go flying yes but with no actual contact so for me it lacks how do I say it...physical oompf. Ok there are some really nice effects with magic and the occasional dramatic effect.

Plus some of the larger creatures are great! Moreover the campaign looks to be good and from what I can gather engrossing.

However the lack of factions is a bummer.

P.S Oh and I am a Fifa player. Which this year has a lot more ways to make coins and fun online battles etc.

P.P.s There are still issues with sieges. There's a bug where the gates will open when they havent actually been destroyed and the pathfinding again seems dodgy. I can actually link a vid to this before you say I am making things up (because some bright spark will always try and make excuses on this forum). It's in one of Lionhearts latest vids if you go on youtube and he actually says it.

Oh and I am still playing a Norsca campaign on steelfaith just put it on hold but will have another go. I too like Huberto lost interest in playing after a few months.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; October 08, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    I would say don't bite. I was disappointed. It's fun at first playing with the shiney stuff. But once it becomes clear that armies have been dumber down and the game is really blob wars you get tired of it and wish for a new historical game that uses a better and more realistic engine.
    Basically once I unlock all of the units in a faction I get bored quickly.
    this is a really weird and strange opinion. if you can get bored of the unit variety in a warhammer game. you probably shouldn't be enjoying any of the historical ones as they are basically filled with clone factions.

please explain what you mean by dumb down. what blob are you seeing that I am not seeing in my games? are you by any chance selecting all and right click a single target? or do you expect units to stay in formation while in melee? I formed lines with my units and they hold perfectly with guard mode on.

and finally, do you know how to play the game? have you play the game at all? how are our gaming experience be that different?
    Last edited by Frunk; October 09, 2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Off-topic personal references removed.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    this is a really weird and strange opinion. if you can get bored of the unit variety in a warhammer game. you probably shouldn't be enjoying any of the historical ones as they are basically filled with clone factions.

please explain what you mean by dumb down. what blob are you seeing that I am not seeing in my games? are you by any chance selecting all and right click a single target? or do you expect units to stay in formation while in melee? I formed lines with my units and they hold perfectly with guard mode on.

and finally, do you know how to play the game? have you play the game at all? how are our gaming experience be that different?
    It's just a game. He's entitled to his opinion as are you

p.s I know exactly what he is getting at. Quite a few of us want to see a change in the engine...a different approach rather than flashy/fast arcadey battles. (that being said I still give the game a solid 7 at least and I know it must be hard to recreate warfare as detailed/realistic as perhaps some want).
    Last edited by Frunk; October 09, 2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Continuity; off-topic personal references removed.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Let's discuss each other's opinions civilly, please. Further off-topic personal references will not be tolerated. Thanks.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    It's just a game. He's entitled to his opinion as are you

p.s I know exactly what he is getting at. Quite a few of us want to see a change in the engine...a different approach rather than flashy/fast arcadey battles. (that being said I still give the game a solid 7 at least and I know it must be hard to recreate warfare as detailed/realistic as perhaps some want).
    notice how I never try to shut him down, notice the questions. and then I noticed the same old "flashy/fast arcadey battles" yea, my last reply, I don't waste time. I am just glad CA doesn't take some of the opinions seriously.
    Last edited by Frunk; October 10, 2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Insulting Others & Defying Moderators
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
    A pity, as I was expecting more based on the PR hypetrain.
    Best way to make yourself unhappy ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I think Dark Elves have it the easiest for personally countering rituals with their moving cities. You can have huge recruiting centers anywhere on the map, that can also bombard during battles on land. Other than them I guess, the high elves can attempt proxy wars, but it just isn't as reliable as having a dark elf coastal powerhouse empire. Makes you feel like the US war machine.

Maybe if they allowed you to fight battles for your intervention army it would be better, because I just know the auto resolve does NOT favor them at all pretty much ever... or let you control them on the campaign map, but they deteriorate over time? If the 10k armies get destroyed within 1-2 turns the lower cost intervention armies are just absolute garbage on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    In the later stages, I use my allies more intervening the rituals. If they are not at war with the said faction, I just bribe them.

In my Morathi campaign, I use Naggarond as intervention forces against High Elves, my own armies against Lizardmen (Mazamundi) and my Greenskin ally (forgot the name) against the Skaven (Clan Pestilence).

Manage to stop few rituals this way.

Currently I'm diverting all my forces towards Ulthuan to support my DE allies to prevent HE from completing their 5th rituals. Skaven and Lizardmen still haven't passed 3rd ritual while I'm halfway between 4th and 5th.

Campaign is pretty relax and fun since I'm playing on Normal. Not much intercontinental war and most wars are on the same continent except AI DE and HE which started near DE area but then the HE got pushed back and now defending Ulthuan, even without my involvement.

Turn 160 now and there's still many favtions on the map.
    I would love more inter-continental fights actually. Setting real expeditions in order to stop your enemies' rituals yourself instead of just pushing a button to see a force magically appearing out of thin aire and being teleported right behind ennemy's lines right at the doorstep of the enemy's ritual center (I'm actuallty surprised nobody find this system totally absurd and stupid, gamey at least).

That's what I did at first because I didn't know about the intervention's mechanic so I sent directly Tyrions's army down in the jungle to interrupt a ritual. The magical stream pointed frpom the vortex to some mysterious ruins in the middle of the jungle (yes, that was indeed a skaven city). The feeling of exploration was great as I pushed Tyrion's army further, having to avoid storms at sea, loosing troops to attrition, and crossing neutral territories, not knowing if the factions would declare war to me...

I also could see my economics driven down suposedly by the extra lenght of supply lines (only explanation I found for some extra costs that appeared in my economy) which if it's the right explanation is surprisingly realistic for a fantasy total war campaign mechanism.

That's exactly how I would love to see the intervention thing, instead of this lazy teleport button. We need a system like the M2TW's crusade where you can set an expedition that would benefit from speed/logistics bonuses. And of course, you would still have the possibility to engage mercenaries.

Or at the very least, if this teleported intervention force thing is the only way,then it would be already better to be able to command your intervention forces instead of having the AI doing it for you in the actual system...
    Last edited by Yerevan; October 10, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

I regret preordering the game. Bugs like your units not pursuiting routing enemies, broken auto-resolve for Skaven and naval battles and rogue armies now spawning in legendary difficulty are incredibly annoying a how could they not notice it? Crashes i would say sometimes are hard to avoid but features being disabled entirely and no one noticed? Makes it even worse how much they have invested in marketing this game.

Rogue armies spawn in every difficulty level though it does seem the VH and Legendary ones are a bit stronger- 1.5 armies within a couple turns after spawning and enough high tier units to beat most garrisons. Still adds some variety and makes no where 100% safe which is good. Map edges/corners always gave such a huge advantage in TW games it is a bit less in Warhammer 2 due to climates as well at least for the starting positions where most of the climates on their edges are unsuitable.

No, they are not spawning in legendary difficulty and many players have reported it already. It was a huge oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlucio View Post
    No, they are not spawning in legendary difficulty and many players have reported it already. It was a huge oversight.
    It isn't that Rogue armies never spawn just they do so way too rarely but when they do fairly powerful.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast