Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

Default Re: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

HA! Got to love nerd-on-nerd violence. News flash: if you've been playing Total War since Shogun I (as I have), then you are a nerd like the rest of us and no amount of LOTR or Star Wars bashing is going to save you.

That being said, I'm curious as to whether the OP was able to sufficiently swallow his pride and try TWW1 or 2

As for the criticisms, some are certainly true, but if you compare TWW2 at release to any other TW game at release, it is better in all areas: bugs and AI included.
    Last edited by Frunk; October 25, 2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Off-topic & disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRChance View Post
    HA! Got to love nerd-on-nerd violence. News flash: if you've been playing Total War since Shogun I (as I have), then you are a nerd like the rest of us and no amount of LOTR or Star Wars bashing is going to save you.

That being said, I'm curious as to whether the OP was able to sufficiently swallow his pride and try TWW1 or 2

As for the criticisms, some are certainly true, but if you compare TWW2 at release to any other TW game at release, it is better in all areas: bugs and AI included.
    I was actually gifted Warhammer 1 earlier this afternoon by a colleague, so I'm downloading it now. I'll give it a go, but I'm still not really into the fantasy setting.
    Last edited by Frunk; October 25, 2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Off-topic, disruptive & continuity.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Off-topic & disruptive comments have been removed. Final warning.

Campaign mode: Garbage.
    Battle mode: Seiges are pretty bad. There's a severe lack of battle maps because for whatever reason they are no longer seeded from campaign map. Battles are too quick to watch the shiny units fight. Otherwise, it's passable.
    Try Steel Faith mod if you get it.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    they are no longer seeded from campaign map. Battles are too quick to watch the shiny units fight.
    Has that not been the way ever since R:TW? I recall in that game you could find the co-ordinates of a place on the map and use it as a custom battle location.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Has that not been the way ever since R:TW? I recall in that game you could find the co-ordinates of a place on the map and use it as a custom battle location.
    Not since ETW. RTW and M2TW map is tile based and generated battle maps based on campaign maps.

ETW onwards, battle maps are drawn/generated seperately.

In Warhammer 1, the battle maps are less compared to Warhammer 2.
    Last edited by LestaT; November 21, 2017 at 03:52 AM.

OP, CA offers this deal: 16,66666666666667% (1/6) of the game for 100% of the price. Meaning that you have to pay 600% of the price to get 100% of the game. Only an idiot would agree to such a deal. Even if it was the best game ever created (which it isn't, far from it actually), it's an instant no buy because of the extremely scammy and anti-customer business practices.

But you said it was gifted to you anyway, so have fun.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    OP, CA offers this deal: 16,66666666666667% (1/6) of the game for 100% of the price. Meaning that you have to pay 600% of the price to get 100% of the game. Only an idiot would agree to such a deal. Even if it was the best game ever created (which it isn't, far from it actually), it's an instant no buy because of the extremely scammy and anti-customer business practices.

But you said it was gifted to you anyway, so have fun.
    You know you are quite bad with numbers? We have 9 races in WH1, 4 core, 1 free and another two could be free in case of preorders. So technically 7/9 free (yup myself ) or 5/9 at worst. Not sure how to count grim/grave + warlords/kings....so maybe correct score to 6/9 or 4/9. But anyway all the content is in the campaign for AI players. World is not less rich. Every single LL or units could be found during campaign. Nobody has to buy everything..just things that looks interesting for that person and want to play for.

Anyway, there are quite good deals outside the steam but even if im sticking to steamstore:

WH - 60EU - 66% sale -> 20,4EU
    Grim/Grave, Kings/Warlords - 7,5EU - 33% -> 5EU
    Warrior of Chaos - 7,5EU - 33% -> 5EU
    Wood Elves, Beastmen - 17,5 - 33% -> 11,7EU
    Norsca ..still 10EU
    Blood God 2,5EU - 33% -> 1,7EU

So at full price you pay 60EU for base game with 4-5/9 races (remember corrected score due to g/g and w/k) and 70EU to get it 9/9.....where do you see 600%?

At current sale the same 4-5/9 races for 20EU and rest for 50EU...again, iīm unable to count 600% properly? And technically I should not count Norsca as it is quite new and without sale...

Anyway I hope nobody is blindly buying games with all DLCs. And I would myself advise people to try base + blood + kings/warlords at max..just to get feeling....Of course buying without sale..buying everything is expensive. But then go and check what kind of DLCs we had for Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2....Norsca DLC is one of the best we had in looong time.
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    You know you are quite bad with numbers? We have 9 races in WH1, 4 core, 1 free and another two could be free in case of preorders. So technically 7/9 free (yup myself ) or 5/9 at worst. Not sure how to count grim/grave + warlords/kings....so maybe correct score to 6/9 or 4/9. But anyway all the content is in the campaign for AI players. World is not less rich. Every single LL or units could be found during campaign. Nobody has to buy everything..just things that looks interesting for that person and want to play for.

Anyway, there are quite good deals outside the steam but even if im sticking to steamstore:

WH - 60EU - 66% sale -> 20,4EU
    Grim/Grave, Kings/Warlords - 7,5EU - 33% -> 5EU
    Warrior of Chaos - 7,5EU - 33% -> 5EU
    Wood Elves, Beastmen - 17,5 - 33% -> 11,7EU
    Norsca ..still 10EU
    Blood God 2,5EU - 33% -> 1,7EU

So at full price you pay 60EU for base game with 4-5/9 races (remember corrected score due to g/g and w/k) and 70EU to get it 9/9.....where do you see 600%?

At current sale the same 4-5/9 races for 20EU and rest for 50EU...again, iīm unable to count 600% properly? And technically I should not count Norsca as it is quite new and without sale...

Anyway I hope nobody is blindly buying games with all DLCs. And I would myself advise people to try base + blood + kings/warlords at max..just to get feeling....Of course buying without sale..buying everything is expensive. But then go and check what kind of DLCs we had for Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2....Norsca DLC is one of the best we had in looong time.
    I love how you state I'm bad with numbers and then proceed to present completely wrong numbers. lol

In TW:W we have 5 races, not 9. These are humans, dwarves, greenskins, elves and beastmen. They are all core races, not just some as you say. NONE of them is free, that's just a lie. You have to buy the first sixth of the game (that's TW:W) to get the first sixth of the factions. Then you have to buy the second sixth of the game to get the first third of the cut content factions, which are already in the game but locked behind paywalls. That makes these factions cut content and the game pay to play. That model is totally unacceptable in a single player game where they already charge full price up front. Period. No excuses, no exceptions.

So what if the AI can manage them? The player pays for the content the player can play. What's available to the AI is pretty much irrelevant to the player concerning the game's price.

The "nobody has to buy everything" argument is a very old one and it's just not true. These factions are not side content (like a side mini campaign, for example Caesar in Gaul for Rome 2), they are core content of the grand campaign, of the main game. They are cut content, missing content, they are not optional. So if you don't buy them, you don't get the full game. That's not a choice. Unless they're the weird type of person who's only interested in one faction and doesn't care about playing any other, the player is forced to buy them.

As for the 600% of the price, of course your brain refuses to see it, but it's pretty simple and self evident really.

CA divided warhammer in 6 parts:

1) warhammer 1
    2) warhammer 1's cut content dlcs
    3) warhammer 2
    4) warhammer 2's cut content dlcs
    5) warhammer 3
    6) warhammer 3's cut content dlcs

And they charge 100% of the price (that's 60 euros/dollars) for each one of the 6 parts. So to get all 6 parts you have to pay 100% of the price 6 times. 6 x 100% = 600%
    It really couldn't be any simpler than that.

And don't bother arguing that the first part is now at a great discount. We don't know for how long and it doesn't really matter. All games cost less as time passes, that's besides the point. Their official price is the price at release as that's when the vast majority of people wanna buy them anyway, so that's the price I'm talking about. Plus, the OP was talking about warhammer 2 and that costs 60 euros/dollars. I'm sure its cut content dlcs will cost another 60 euros/dollars, if not more.

And not to mention that they have the audacity to resell the same dlc for the same game (blood). That's outrageous even for CA's standards! That's just a rude and disrespectful middle finger to all their customers. With shameless moves like that, they pretty much tell us that they feel entitled to our money, that they see us as their milking cows. So, from my point of view as a customer, I cannot respect a company that disrespects its customers in such a vulgar and shameless way. So I would advice people to boycott such practices until companies get the message and change their practices to more customer-friendly and respectful ones.

And if you think I'm being unreasonable, or you've labeled me as a hater in your brain, or whatever, you don't have to take my word on any of that. Take Darren's word, who's actually worked for CA for 3 years and he knows how things work there from the inside. He was so pissed off at CA's anti-customer business practices that he quit his dream job. I quote his words: "Total War's feature set is getting more limited, the prices are getting higher and the dlc policy more aggressive. So I guess when I see that a company is thriving and the feature set is being reduced, none of the benefits are being passed on to the consumer and that just pisses me off!"
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 24, 2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Video fixed.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Sorry, strongly disagree with just about everything you've said.

In TW:W we have 5 races, not 9. These are humans, dwarves, greenskins, elves and beastmen.
    Uh... what are you referring to when you say there are 5 races? Are you saying Norsca, Bretonnia, Empire, Chaos are all "human" races? They're completely different.

They are all core races, not just some as you say. NONE of them is free, that's just a lie. You have to buy the first sixth of the game (that's TW:W) to get the first sixth of the factions.
    Really? You have to buy the game to be able to play the base factions? That's preposterous.

Then you have to buy the second sixth of the game to get the first third of the cut content factions, which are already in the game but locked behind paywalls. That makes these factions cut content and the game pay to play. That model is totally unacceptable in a single player game where they already charge full price up front. Period. No excuses, no exceptions.
    Unacceptable to you maybe. There are many people who are happy to pay and buy more as more content is added to the game. And yes, content is added to the game - Norsca is very different after their DLC. No need to generalise and make grand statements about what is or isn't acceptable. If you're not willing to pay more, don't. Period.

So what if the AI can manage them? The player pays for the content the player can play. What's available to the AI is pretty much irrelevant to the player concerning the game's price.
    Another all-encompassing statement... I think I'll let players choose why they play a game. You don't have to play a faction to enjoy playing against the faction. I've never been the least bit upset that I couldn't play as a dragon in Baldur's Gate.

The "nobody has to buy everything" argument is a very old one and it's just not true. These factions are not side content (like a side mini campaign, for example Caesar in Gaul for Rome 2), they are core content of the grand campaign, of the main game.
    ...they're really not core content though. You can play the campaign without them. I spent most of my time playing W1 without them. I haven't bought the beastmen DLC, so yes, it is true that you don't have to buy everything. I'm living proof that you can play Warhammer TW without also buying all the DLC. A miracle?

They are cut content, missing content, they are not optional. So if you don't buy them, you don't get the full game. That's not a choice. Unless they're the weird type of person who's only interested in one faction and doesn't care about playing any other, the player is forced to buy them.
    You're absolutely not forced to buy anything. You can buy what you want. If you want to play more factions, you can pay to do so.

With shameless moves like that, they pretty much tell us that they feel entitled to our money, that they see us as their milking cows. So, from my point of view as a customer, I cannot respect a company that disrespects its customers in such a vulgar and shameless way. So I would advice people to boycott such practices until companies get the message and change their practices to more customer-friendly and respectful ones.
    See, I think your post assumes that CA is obligated to give you, free of charge, all the things that they do after the game is released. Like complaining about Warhammer 2 and Warhammer 3 not being included in the original price. They haven't even finished W2 yet! You may accuse CA of feeling "entitled" to your money, but from over here it looks like you feel entitled to instant ownership of everything CA does with the Warhammer IP. They're out to make money and if you don't think something is worth the cost, don't pay for it. Despite your complaints, you're not being forced into anything. Have a bit of perspective.

Wallllll of text, seriously skip it guys

You know what? I have nice friday and donīt want to spend it by arguing with you. But you would say that I have no arguments...so... Letīs agree that we disagree and have nice weekend, I wonīt be responding to you anymore.

In TW:W we have 5 races, not 9. These are humans, dwarves, greenskins, elves and beastmen. They are all core races, not just some as you say. NONE of them is free, that's just a lie. You have to buy the first sixth of the game (that's TW:W) to get the first sixth of the factions. Then you have to buy the second sixth of the game to get the first third of the cut content factions, which are already in the game but locked behind paywalls. That makes these factions cut content and the game pay to play. That model is totally unacceptable in a single player game where they already charge full price up front. Period. No excuses, no exceptions.
    Oh right. Factions vs races in Warhammer. I admit I was bit lazy here.....BUUUUUUT...While we can say that in Rome2 and other TWs we have really ONE human race divided into many factions. In Warhammer it is quite not possible to simplify things like that.

In WH1 we have 9 playable factions Empire, Vampires, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, Norsca. But just 5 races? Heh nope...that old logic that Humans = Vampires..or Norsca or Warriors of Chaos. Heh they have ing Mammoths in Norsca (and other crap), or just say it face to face to Terrorgheist and your inner parts will end up all around.. Or argue with Chaos warrior that he is weak human... It looks like you havenīt even look at unit roster. Warhammer has such diverse units, armies that this alone is nonsense, only person without any WH (lore) knowledge can even compare Wood Elves, Dark ,High Elves. Whole point of WH is to be diverse as possible, unit wise, ability wise, mechanics wise... So even just WH1 core game your count of 5 is wrong, 9 factions (with multiple sub factions damn this is getting complex..) inhabiting world, 5 playable (Empire, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampires and Bretonnia. See, if you want to compare something similar, at least start with Empire and Bretonnia ) And in case of preorder which is quite valid for any fan supporting CA , they were getting even playable Chaos Warriors and Norsca for free. You pointed out, that price during sales is not important for you, only the original ones are, so here I state I got these for free. THX CA for your aggresive DLC policy

Your worst case example is working only for people unwilling to wait for sale buying everything for full price. In such case well..they got what they paid for 60+70+60.... EU. Clever guy can buy now WH1 for 20 EU now. Sorry thatīs 1/3 of 1/6 so 1/18 of price. And rest for 40 EU while waiting for future Norsca sale. Thats truth. And due to steam not going to collapse anytime soon we can except much more sales in the future...And we can expect similar things for WH2+3..

No, it is not. Missing Wood Elves and inaccessible Athen Loren, Missing Beastmen, No Mammoths in Norsca or no Warriors of Chaos unless you buy DLCs THAT would directly lower our enjoyment from playing any faction. It makes no difference to play as Bretonnia and have none or all DLCs. In both cases the game is very much the same for you.

The "nobody has to buy everything" argument is a very old one and it's just not true. These factions are not side content (like a side mini campaign, for example Caesar in Gaul for Rome 2), they are core content of the grand campaign, of the main game. They are cut content, missing content, they are not optional. So if you don't buy them, you don't get the full game. That's not a choice. Unless they're the weird type of person who's only interested in one faction and doesn't care about playing any other, the player is forced to buy them.
    Weird person could be even you for wanting/buying everything Well then Iīm probably weird too. I really hope you are not playing paradoxīs games with that altitude ...Anyway the DLCs ARE optional. As I said cut/missing content would be having no Wood Elves ingame unless you buy them. But they are in game. You can easily see them during other campaigns and if you like their playstyle, you can buy access. If you do not like their playstyle then nobody is forcing you to buy DLC..Only valid argument might be multiplayer but iīm not playing it so hence for me thatīs not important part. But could be for others...

As for the 600% of the price, of course your brain refuses to see it, but it's pretty simple and self evident really.CA divided warhammer in 6 parts:

1) warhammer 1
    2) warhammer 1's cut content dlcs
    3) warhammer 2
    4) warhammer 2's cut content dlcs
    5) warhammer 3
    6) warhammer 3's cut content dlcs

And they charge 100% of the price (that's 60 euros/dollars) for each one of the 6 parts. So to get all 6 parts you have to pay 100% of the price 6 times. 6 x 100% = 600%
    It really couldn't be any simpler than that.
    This old famous argument with tripple WHs O.o ... It was stated from bery beggining that WH will be tripple part game. Only question could if you are getting enough content for the money. And thatīs pretty subjective. You say no, I say yes. My reasoning is, instead of three non-connected games like Rome2, Attila, now thrones of Britannia I can enjoy all things together on super cool big map. Simply compare numbers of factions, regions, starting positions on maps with previous TWs. Mortal Empires are blowing Empire campaign map and Iīm just waiting for WH3 to add to it... Re-using WH1 assets in WH2 Vortex Campaign is good thing as the campaign map is much richer from start featuring all WH1 cookies and thatīs way before getting all DLCs for WH2. While getting enough new content to ask for full price. You donīt agree fine. But check animation and factions from WH1,WH2 and compare it to any previous TW. In WHs we are getting way more for bucks than before. Just check what you buy as DLC for Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2 ..I can clearly see DLC evolution in terms of content to Age of Charlemagne, Last Roman and now WH DLCs.

And don't bother arguing that the first part is now at a great discount. We don't know for how long and it doesn't really matter. All games cost less as time passes, that's besides the point. Their official price is the price at release as that's when the vast majority of people wanna buy them anyway, so that's the price I'm talking about. Plus, the OP was talking about warhammer 2 and that costs 60 euros/dollars. I'm sure its cut content dlcs will cost another 60 euros/dollars, if not more.
    No, do not even try such logic. Why not count discounts? I know a lot people who are buying only during sales. And steam sales are pretty often. No reason for steam to change it anytime soonAnd much better deals around internet as well. If money is concern then there are many ways to save them. You cannot say price is problem and then not counting possible solutions to it. You have no money then wait for sale. Itīs easy. Iīm also not angry on Boeing for not being able to afford F-22 as my personal plane. Hell there are not even sales for it anyway...

And not to mention that they have the audacity to resell the same dlc for the same game (blood). That's outrageous even for CA's standards! That's just a rude and disrespectful middle finger to all their customers. With shameless moves like that, they pretty much tell us that they feel entitled to our money, that they see us as their milking cows. So, from my point of view as a customer, I cannot respect a company that disrespects its customers in such a vulgar and shameless way. So I would advice people to boycott such practices until companies get the message and change their practices to more customer-friendly and respectful ones.
    They are not re-selling blood DLC. You buy it once for whatever WH you want and then it is free for all others. It si due steam running DLCs. It is more about steam running things in background. WH2 is featuring all DLCs for WH1 for free just to get all the content into ME combined campaign.

And if you think I'm being unreasonable, or you've labeled me as a hater in your brain, or whatever, you don't have to take my word on any of that. Take Darren's word, who's actually worked for CA for 3 years and he knows how things work there from the inside. He was so pissed off at CA's anti-customer business practices that he quit his dream job. I quote his words: "Total War's feature set is getting more limited, the prices are getting higher and the dlc policy more aggressive. So I guess when I see that a company is thriving and the feature set is being reduced, none of the benefits are being passed on to the consumer and that just pisses me off!"

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSV...RepublicOfPlay
    It is your view, your opinion, you are entitled to it. If I understand you would very much prefer older scheme with no DLC, few bigger expansions. But this is no longer working for current world. Just look at Empire with bugs and downs. Never fixed. This DLC policy at least ensure CA has to fixed something from time to time as they need game in +/- good shape for whole time they are planning to sell DLCs..If your problem lies with concurrent DLC policy, thatīs not problem of CA. There are far more worse companies (hi paradox)... http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/...r-got-this-bad

Daren is also entitled to his opinion. But thatīs it. I can evaluate things for myself but I definitely admire his work.

Campaign features more limited
    Up to personal taste....

+I like new province system and limited building slots, many donīt. We can easily see evolution from Rome 2 to WH1, WH2 now with more building slots. CA trying each game slightly different way. More slots, bigger capitols..
    -Limited sieges? Well AI was not great in Rome 2 or even in Med 2 there are many funny stories about it....Definitely would love to see them back in next TW but I understand why CA tried this implementation. Siege battles were always the ones where I can cheat AI in ridiculous ways. 7 vs 1 full armies without crappy units in Empire.
    -Naval combat? It is quite new feature from Empire but in Warhammer it make sense not to include it. I know lore. It would be complete mess to implement. Each ship different model, different combat style..magic, guns, arrows, ramming. It is complete mess with anything from gunship, floating pyramids, ziggurats, viking ships, steamships Almost whole game...But definitely would love to see it!
    +Added magic,monsters,rpg hero skill trees, items in Warhammer ..best RPG experience from any TW so far.

okay we can discuss features for long time. Yup game is more streamlined but I have fun. Naval bombardment in Shogun 2, beach landings in Rome 2, magic in Warhammer. Really reality adaptation would be historical yet little boring. We are playing games after all...But I remember a lot history guys almost having heart attack due to Naval Bombardment in FotS or due to Rome 2 beach landings I consider the last two TW as probably best in history WH1+2 and Attila. Especially Attila gameplay wise is epic, hard and with multiple new mechanics....

prices getting highter
    Yeah because inflacion is real? Not even considering games are getting bigger? Prince of Persia, Tetris, Doom are classic legend and you can sell them as legacy but good luck trying to get rich with such quality game today. Not gonna happen. Minecraft success happens once in years. Anyway there is nice article http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...rchasing-power

DLC more agressive
    And dozens of FLC are nothing? Or that the content is really better? Price went up but again comparing content with DLCs of previous TWs. Well only blind cannot see the improvement over time. So Iīm quite happy. Just look how many things are ahead to pick from. DLC for Rome 2 , Saga game, DLC for WH2....just pick what tastes you best. :-) Nobody is forcing you to buy everything.
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 24, 2017 at 09:23 AM.

The fact remains one could argue the game isnt finished yet and you have to pay considerably more than the initial asking price to get the max out of the game! It's why I am waiting to get everything reduced so that's all future dlc plus Warhammer 2.

I can wait. It's called patience. However what CA and Sega do they tap into people lack of patience...it's usually the younger crowd. Similar thing is done by other companies e.g Starwars battlefromt. Whilst am not saying Total wars are as bad but there are comparisons.

Whether you want to shell out for this is your choice but Perfanios is completely within his rights to question it. Some of your reactions are quite worrying it's almost as if you think he is acting weirdly. Far from it he's using his grey matter and evaluating it all!

But this is leading more into general discussion about gaming as whole...

Things cost more. Inflation is real. Teams are getting bigger and they spend more and more on details,marketing,textures,models,animations...The base price of games is almost the same as years ago, yep the market is bigger and more people play but the competition is getting worse. With Steam, GOG...we have nice access to older quite good games which cost almost nothing. Then sales are somewhat sure thing. You just have to wait. There is reason why games are pushing graphics and new mechanisms, because there is tons of cheaper games with worse graphics etc. They need to sell games else nobody is going to produce new AAA games..

And that si probably why developers are moving into DLC and microtransaction instead of core+expansion sheme. It is more stable income even if we donīt like it. My crucial question is, if the company is not overdoing it. Like in Wither 3 it was quite good way, ...And even TWs itīs not the best way but not even the worst one. The argument abount unfinished game has two sided. Your view again mine. They keep on adding and improving the game. I know a lot games which got almost no updates and content after release. And it is shame. Even if you buy just base game. It is getting better and better. You can look at Witcher series and its evolution. W1+2 got pretty decent free enhanced edition update because players was not satisfied while EA and Mass Effect 3 got the famous "we wonīt chance our artistic feeling" ending...basically showing big ..i.. to players.

By the way, I was reffering to myself as weird one , if iīm buyign all TW as fan..because argument "catch them all" could be quite bad...imagine Crusaderīs Kings II. Cost of all DLCs well thatīs lot..

So in the end...it is still getting down to simple question. Is Warhammer offering enough to be bought for full price? I think yes, as the games are quite cheap for time spent to play them. But sales are legit way to get the games but imagine if everybody does it...you would never ever get grand perfect Med 3. New engine costs money...;-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 27, 2017 at 07:28 AM.

Praeses

I caved and bought WH1 on special, plus one DLC (Lords). I have played about an hour as dwarves, and the campaign seems to be hand-held on rails. The battles are quick (but that's very true to WH tabletop, the battles can be over in three turns), no EB slogathons here. I will try Brettonia and the other factions, I think I did my dough though.

I miss EB, I wish my PC still ran DX9.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I caved and bought WH1 on special, plus one DLC (Lords). I have played about an hour as dwarves, and the campaign seems to be hand-held on rails. The battles are quick (but that's very true to WH tabletop, the battles can be over in three turns), no EB slogathons here. I will try Brettonia and the other factions, I think I did my dough though.

I miss EB, I wish my PC still ran DX9.
    Look at the Steam workshop- tons of mods for Warhammer 1 out that improve things. Only a couple total overhauls with Steel Faith being the closest in theme to EB but personally I think you are better off just adding individual mods for now.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Look at the Steam workshop- tons of mods for Warhammer 1 out that improve things. Only a couple total overhauls with Steel Faith being the closest in theme to EB but personally I think you are better off just adding individual mods for now.
    Thx, will browse. Steel Faith aside, any individual recommendations? I have played very little WH tabletop, so lore is not a huge issue for me, but I do like a bit of tactical thinking in my games.

Steam Workshop has proved very fruitful, got some amazing mods for Age of Wonders III and a few other games which have made the games very replayable.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Depends how fast you play campaigns since CA is probably working on some new DLC (Tomb King most likely) and is definitely working on overhaul that includes Norsca and brings Old World factions in line with New World. I don't think it will affect WH1 but I am not entirely sure as CA back updating a couple things might happen even though they've stated most of their support will be for WH2 and the ME combined map especially.

This is the list of what I was running before WH2 came out-

Orcs&Goblins 8th edition, All Tabletop Lords, Altdorf Imperial City, Better Campaign Map, Better Camera, Vampire Counts Human Levies, Cataph's The Southern Realms, Skip Intro Logos, Rise of the Beastmen, Skip Intro Logos, Ultimate Minor Settlements Pack for Grand Campaign, Varied Generals

I upgraded my gaming PC last week and got a free copy of Warhammer 2. I'm enjoying it but my main bugbear is the fact that I know nothing about the lore and background of Warhammer. It's all just gibberish to me. Is there a quick idiots guide to history/lore of Warhammer? Because at the moment most of the game might as well be in Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    I upgraded my gaming PC last week and got a free copy of Warhammer 2. I'm enjoying it but my main bugbear is the fact that I know nothing about the lore and background of Warhammer. It's all just gibberish to me. Is there a quick idiots guide to history/lore of Warhammer? Because at the moment most of the game might as well be in Chinese.
    Sadly no. One of biggest advantage of Warhammer is rich lore so right now for you it is big disadvantage. I would suggest starting with some youtube lore videos. They are covering different areas but basically only after you watch handful of them, things will start being connected. :-)

ItalianSpartacus has nice lore series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUNj...Rflfi5QVVeVhwH
    IneptGeneral
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-N...8TWQ/playlists
    Arch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHo6...btEwek8JpIfJMo

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki

There are also dozens maybe hundreds of books written Warhammer Fantasy some of which are quite good so I have heard. I've never read anything other than Army books and online but the army books are difficult to get ahold of now- especially some of the earlier ones which were still expanding the lore significantly with each edition.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast