Thread: XAI: Buildings & Research

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default XAI: Buildings & Research

This module contains research tree optimizations and implements a better food system. This module can be used standalone but is designed for use with XAI.

Research tree
    This module primarily adjusts research costs, and purchased technologies costs. The level advancement is more linear, consistent and logical throughout the tree. The purchased tech costs are lower for each level up to a max of 12k. I also disabled the Roman ancient tech disabler in the tech tree. No other technologies have been changed at this time, if there is an issue you know about, please let me know and I will see if I can get it fixed. I have not played all factions, nor will I ever have time to do so, that is what communities are all about.

Buildings
    In the Campaign AI I lowered the effects of the "global warming event" because it was unbalanced and quite harsh. This however did not address the biggest shortcoming of settlements in campaign game and that is food. It is not a well made system and hinders the AI greatly.

By adding a food commerce system through a number of logical building improvements. We can dramatically help the food situation, buy distributing food through this trade system. This system is not attached to the resources trade system itself, but by sharing food with neighboring provinces. It only makes sense to have markets and other means use this instead of the goofy notion they should just be consuming food. The goal is to hopefully help the AI better cope with food shortages in their empires.

Some of the buildings included are; halls for barbarians, churches for the Romans some other cultures but not all, caravans for the eastern cultures etc,etc. Take a look at the building trees

Since, hordes do not have nearly as many problems with food, but share many of the settlement buildings, they will still get many benefits from the system. I only felt it needed to be added to their markets. I also added food consumption to slave pens.

I did do some major reworking of the building's food consumption. Major and minor settlement upgrades have lower values, while special buildings like coliseums have large amounts of food consumption. All other buildings have been lowered to much more reasonable levels. I added food consumption to some buildings such as slave traders.
    With all of these benefits there must be a cost and the trade offs are these. If damaged, they still will consume FULL food unless destroyed. Just because you suffer an attack does not mean you still do not have people to feed. Plus, all major and minor settlement building have a maintenance cost for ALL factions.

I also took inspiration from Yogi with his added fertility to sanitation mod and added in fertility improvements with the waterworks buildings, but it is toned down and gives you a +1 at level 3 and +2 at level 4. There is one exception, and that is the Eastern factions, they get an additional level of fertility. This should just be enough to help survive the droughts and global warming.

Hopefully, in the future I can address the AI specific issues of food production and squalor compensation and get it to build better cities.

For now, I would like you to try out this module and enjoy Attila! It is still a WIP (work in progress) so I am sure there will be some balancing issues to address.

Grand Campaign- complete
    TLR- Started
    AOC- Started

This module is a highly recommended but not required.
    XAI Modules- designed for the Grand Campaign
    XCAI: Advanced Campaign AI * (1)
    XBAI: Advanced Battle AI * (1)(4)
    XDAI: Advanced Diplomacy *
    XAI: Dynamic stances and movement ! (2)
    XAI: Vanilla Units ! (2)(4)
    XAI: Leaders, skills, and offices! (3)
    XAI: Family, integrity, loyalty, and honor! (3)
    XAI: Research and Buildings !(3)
    XAI: THARBBG module + (3)
    XAI: Advisors, Generals & Wives +
    Skidvar's Garrisons +
    XAI: Bug fix compilation + (OBSOLETE and incompatible when using Skivar's Garrisons)
    (*) is required, (!) highly recommended for best experience, (+) optional modules

This is still a work in progress and your feedback is important!
    I would also consider this a live BETA

Last edited by xeryx; October 08, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix