View Poll Results: Should every settlement have walls?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

56 70.89%
  • Nay

23 29.11%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Every Settlement is a Walled Settlement (Poll)

Default Re: Every Settlement is a Walled Settlement (Poll)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Soul View Post
    Hmm, every city have walls? AE suppose to be historically accurate mod. This isn't even about gameplay, because doing this will limit it anyway (all the time in campaign fighting with AI on walls, pfff). You remove the possibility to capture unwalled cities.
    In the time before the (in)famous pax romana every city and settlement at that time, that was autonomous and could afford it, was walled/had defensive structures. So CA´s "Minor Settlements are unfortified" decision is (historically) stupid, because: if they are important enough to be a settlement on the strat-map those settlements were all important enough to have walls in reallity!

Ofc this is only is valid for Greeks, Romans, Syrians, Celts (Gaul, Iberia and Britain). Nomads had ofc no fortified citys (who would have guessed that?), and Germans had the habit of circulating with their villages in their tribal-territorry, so their villages wouldn´t have had too much of fortification (in fact they were mostly unfortified). So fortificated german and nomad settlements are indeed disputable, but walled greek, roman, carthagic, north-african, celtic and orientalic settlements are historical accurate and therfore it needs some very important arguments to not fortify them.
    Medieval II: Hyrule: Total War

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Another thing to consider is fairness and predictability.

If 1-region factions either have a walled settlement or not,
    those with walled settlements are invariably at an advantage.

IMO it would be better to give every settlement walls unless there'a a historical reason not to.
    Most "civilised" cities were walled and the Celts and Celtiberians had their Oppida.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

If you can't make a building that effects the battlemap.. maybe just edit the settlement's battle map to add palisades to it.. maybe siege camps for the defenders and mantlets and stuff for escalation levels.

Yes please every settlement should have walls

Is it possible to have every settlement have walls, but to have the strength of those walls vary massively with settlement level? So at the lowest level it is a wooden pallisade which will have 4-5 breaches after just one turn of besieging, with more time needed to breach as the walls grow.

Seems like that could solve a lot of the problems, in that a low level walled city would essentially become an unwalled city with choke point entries after just a couple of turns of siege. Also the distribution of the breaches (assuming they will be sufficiently randomised) will give variety even when attacking the same settlement.

Isn't there any way to DECIDE whether to build a wall or not just like on Rome I?

I would also love the possibility to build every type of building I want without considering "major" or "minor" settlement

And maybe seeing the actual building when I play a match in that city (Rome I was full of all these features and details that's why I loved it)

again, due to time and engine limitations that the team is working under, we can't go adding in a huge variety of options just yet
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    again, due to time and engine limitations that the team is working under, we can't go adding in a huge variety of options just yet
    I know that the "area" modders can work on is very stricted....I've been modding since Rome I so I might know something about it

However I'm pretty sure you can enable minor buildings for major and viceversa, there are a couple of cool mods of Rome II doing that,

For the small cities there is a cool mod that gives you a chance to place fortifications acting like walls....that can be a nice exploit in the name of old gold rome total war.

And for the big cities you can decide to build a farming place or a public forum without being forced by the type of the city... I think this is a cool feature, at least for a nostalgic rome player like me

In terms of the actual buildings, of course, I had assumed you were on about a settlement adding walls through buildings. Which while possible in vanilla, we don't know how to do ourselves without taking a whole lot of time to do it.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Slightly off topic, but how will garrisons look?
    IMO DeI garrison forces are actually a bit too small, IMO there ought to be at least a 20 stack army in a fully upgraded city.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Major cities has a full 20, as do faction capitals no matter what type of city they are. Minor cities tend to have around 8, but don't forget that we'll be increasing the amount of armies so you can garrison places yourself more often.

+1 walled settlements

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Major cities has a full 20, as do faction capitals no matter what type of city they are. Minor cities tend to have around 8, but don't forget that we'll be increasing the amount of armies so you can garrison places yourself more often.
    Is there ways to upgrade garrison quality? In rome 2 I remember being able to grow your garrison to (not sure but more than 8) but always were stuck with things like peasant infantry.

Paesant infantry don't exist in AE, garrisons try to be authentic. So if you build a Roman fortress, you'll get Roman legionaries. That kind of thing.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

I'm having second thoughts on having every settlement walled, unless there's a way to add walls through upgrading the city later in game.

Definitely no from me.
    1) I think it would bog the campaign down in endless seiges.
    2)Gets rid of battle variety since there would be no more town battles
    3) Discourages open field battles because currently if a walked settlement is being attacked I will always hunker down in it no matter how many troops I have; while if an unwalled settlement is being attacked and i have a ton of troops defending it i will often Sally forth to have the advantages of maneuvering
    4) nerfs hordes since they often rely on sacking easy targets

Personally I feel that walls shouldn't be tied at all to the size of a city or any other arbitrary reason but should be tied to if you want them or not. Make them expensive and have a sizeable upkeep cost. This gives the player another variable to think about in how they want to fortify/ defend their lands.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

The problem is they don't know how to make it so walls are added to a custom settlement via a specific building "without taking a whole lot of time" to work it out.

So either some settlements start with walls and some permanently have no walls; OR
    All settlements have walls; OR
    The campaign is delayed for even longer as they attempt to work out the problem which might not even be possible.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; October 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Pretty much

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Then leave the settlements the way they are mostly unless its really necessary to put walls on a particular important city.

minor settlements already have the option to be upgraded into having walls at lvl 4 settlement, is it reallythat hard to make it happen at lvl 2 or 3?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Fellowsship View Post
    minor settlements already have the option to be upgraded into having walls at lvl 4 settlement, is it reallythat hard to make it happen at lvl 2 or 3?
    I think the problem is they're replacing all settlements with either custom settlements they've made themselves, or settlements they've ported from Rome 2. And they don't know how to link the un-walled battle map and walled battle map together.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast