Thread: How to deploy both melee and musket infantry with the eastern factions?

Default How to deploy both melee and musket infantry with the eastern factions?

Greetings fellow Empire players, recently I started a new campaign with Persia, I am using some minor mods a campaign overhaul and AUM that gives the possibility to recruit some nice swordsmen and other units.

My problem is that I cannot make work together melee and musket infantry in a flawless manner.

The fact is that I cannot use them together properly because musketmen tend to make too many friendly fire casualties and leaving my melee infantry in defensive position it's kinda of a waste.

I seek any kind of tactical advice.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: How to deploy both melee and musket infantry with the eastern factions?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How to deploy both melee and musket infantry with the eastern factions?

Yes, unless your musketeers are on higher ground, friendly fire will be a problem. The only units which can shoot through others without causing a lot of friendly fire casualties are light infantry (and I believe that they will cause some losses.) Could you recruit some Hillmen (or other light infantry) and put them behind your melee infantry?

Could you use your musketeers as the centre of your line, with melee units on the flanks? This might allow you to use your melee infantry against enemy melee cavalry. When the enemy's melee cavalry are gone, your horsemen can charge the flanks and rear of the enemy line with impunity.

It's the Empire's fault that musketeers shoot when the enemy is in their range, ignoring friendly units and land elevations in front of them. This was fixed in Shogun 2.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Greetings fellow Empire players, recently I started a new campaign with Persia, I am using some minor mods a campaign overhaul and AUM that gives the possibility to recruit some nice swordsmen and other units.

My problem is that I cannot make work together melee and musket infantry in a flawless manner.

The fact is that I cannot use them together properly because musketmen tend to make too many friendly fire casualties and leaving my melee infantry in defensive position it's kinda of a waste.

I seek any kind of tactical advice.
    That sounds familiar when I played Russia since the unit roster have both melee and infantry. It depends if you are a defender or an attacker.

I always try to hide a group, I often group two units together before starting a battle in-game, of melee units and deploy them either on the flanks of my line of defense and/or placed them near the artillery, just in case the enemy use their cavalry towards my artillery.

When attacking, I can use melee units to make the coast clear for my infantry to advance without facing artillery fire or secure my artillery when advancing from one spot to another. All I need to do is get the enemy artillery started to fire at my melee units, preferably taking cover, without risking too much and the same thing can also my cavalry when moving to a more threating position in the middle of a battle.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

If you want to use melee units there are a few things you can do. Keep in mind the mechanics are built around Pike and Shot type tactics. Despite the inclusion of non- European factions, the game engine is better suited for European style tactics. That being said.

The best option would be to use light infantry. Soften the enemy via casualties/ reduction of morale. Then send your melee troops in. A similar tactic is to concentrate your artillery on an area, and then have your melee troops charge in. A final suggestions is the use of bowman. I am pretty sure this is recruitable unit for Persia (Cavalry). You can maneuver them on the flanks to reduce attrition as well.

A thought to consider. The game ai isn't smart enough to know when to stop firing. You can stop your units from firing in the control panel. I have to do this whenever I coordinate my units (e.g. artillery firing on a unit I am currently charging or my nits are obstructing the line of sight).

It is a a little bit of micro managing, but I tend to do that anyway. It's whats make the playing this game fun.

If you want them all in a line, I find something akin to the Roman maniple formation works pretty well. Deploy your ranged infantry in standard long lines (depending on your choice of mods/ranked fire options, of course,) with your melee infantry in squares or columns between the ranged units. Slight modifications depending on the situation may be required, but overall it's fairly effective in a variety of situations, allowing you to close with the enemy (or let them close) while quickly responding with both ranged and melee.

If you want to be really silly, set up a bunch of pike squares with muskets in line between them. This REALLY screws up light cavalry, and I find it's super effective in India.
    The above post is in a pre-alpha state and does not nessecarily reflect the final writings of the poster. As such the poster cannot be held responsible for any statements made in this post.