Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How Much Longer Will Superhero Movies Dominate Hollywood?

Default Re: How Much Longer Will Superhero Movies Dominate Hollywood?

https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/S...Retailer-Panel

MARVEL Q&A AT NEW YORK COMIC CON WITH RETAILERS GOES BAD
    OCTOBER 6, 2017 WALT

A closed Q&A between Marvel Comics and comic book retailers erupted at the New York Comic Con on Thursday after one retailer became vocally critical of the publisher’s decision to change the ethnicity, gender, and sexuality of some of the classic characters, Bleeding Cool reports.

The tensions began when an unnamed seller “specifically [expressed] his distaste for Iceman ‘kissing other men,’ and Thor ‘becoming a woman,'” Newsarama writes. “The retailer’s complaints sparked an outcry among the other retailers present in the room, some echoing his frustration, with multiple attendees raising their voices to speak over each other.”

As Marvel editor Nick Lowe attempted to calm tensions, the original retailer further complained that comic fans leave his store “when they see that Thor is a woman and Captain America is a black man,” and called for Marvel “creating new characters and not messing with the old guys. The old guys are solid.”

“The words ‘black,’ ‘homo,’ and ‘freaking females’ were used multiple times,” Bleeding Cool adds.

Marvel has been heavily criticized for a lack of diversity, although the publisher has experimented with a black, female Iron Man; a biracial Spiderman; a female Thor; and a Muslim Ms. Marvel. Still, the company’s vice president of sales, David Gabriel, recently blamed poor sales on the fact that “people didn’t want any more diversity. They didn’t want female characters out there.”

Many fans have dismissed such excuses, including comic book author G. Willow Wilson. “Who wants a legacy if the legacy is s—ty?” she wrote. “Let’s scrap the word diversity entirely and replace it with authenticity and realism. This is not a new world. This is the world.” Jeva Lange
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

funny how Marvel severs ties with Northrop Grumman only after it appears side by side in a promotional pamphlet because of fans protesting but those same fans are willing to ignore all of the military hardware that appear in every single movie since Ironman. Are people really so naive to think that the a huge MIC contractor like NG wouldnt see the opportunity to finance a giant commercial for their products? And that Hollywood havent always been open to extra cash? Its really hypocritical of people, I mean the MIC is basically a character in these movies. No one watched the Avengers and thought "thank god that aierial aircraft carrier thing isnt real"

I really enjoyed Captain America and the Falcon in the early Seventies and Eighties as both were very likable, heroic figures and not rubber stamps for the existing government but patriotic nevertheless. Big deal if Captain America is black from assuming the legacy.

You can't make people embrace diversity and change. Why would DC and Marvel think that would be effective? Some decisions were flat out imbecilic like female Thor, defying all logic, as has been previously discussed.

Make some new diverse characters but don't be surprised if the best sales as white male superheros. That is what people are used to. You do both/and not either/or. Keep what works like a Greek Wonder Woman and not bizarrely make Wonder Woman a transgender Asian male. It would be absurd. But who knows, there are bizarre Japanese anime with very effeminate male superheroes so maybe a niche market would occur in America?

Guess what, maybe you can't cling to an populist artform that basically got a revamping due to films appealing to nostalgia. Maybe the gravy train is over. I hope so because some great films could be made for a 1/10 of the price of a bloated superhero extravaganza.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Marvel is imploding what can I say.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

I'll watch it tomorrow. As much as I like Wonder Woman and her pseudo-mythological roots I hate how awful the actual writing in her comics can be. Terrible villains and stories, usually Diana is also written in a very contrived way and every so often they give her a massive character revamp where she is barely recognizable. But her concept is so inherently broken that I don't envy anyone that has to write her stories.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

It's more of a critique of Marvel's writing.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I am not sure why people read comix. I even have issues reading Junji Ito, who at least is very capable in drawing horror, but his writing is still lacking imo, despite intense themes.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    A super man leaping tall buildings faster than a speeding bullet.
    I watched Batman glitter in the dark near the Arkham Asylum.
    All those moments will be lost in time, like Themyscira.
    Time to fly.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I am not sure why people read comix. I even have issues reading Junji Ito, who at least is very capable in drawing horror, but his writing is still lacking imo, despite intense themes.
    It depends on which comics. I read Manga from time to time, mostly Shonen genre if I'm being honest.
    Though I have very unorthodox interests in terms of Western comics. I don't read super hero comics anymore so I read things like Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, Scion, Sojourn, Elric, Star Wars, Dragon Age, Warlord of Mars, The Shadow (1930's pulp fiction) etc, pretty much only fantasy. Though I have been looking for a good space science fiction that isn't Star Wars, I'm kind of hoping that it will be Mark Millar's Starlight. I pretty much only do it for escapism, the writing doesn't have to be amazing either it just needs to keep me entertained and wanting to explore the world.

Given how so much Manga in Japan leads to the creation of movies, shows, video games and massive franchises I don't get why so few comic books are ever adapted into shows or movies. I get that the industry is different from Japan but still, half the work has already been done.

It was for kids.

Than it was for nostalgic fans.

Now it's to make a point.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    It's more of a critique of Marvel's writing.
    I've actually seen some of Just Write's videos. In this one I both agree and disagree. Marvel (superheroes in general) and it's writing is inherently self aware and doesn't like to take itself seriously for the reason that the material and the tone is challenging to really take seriously at all. I remember watching Man of Steel and laughing my ass off by how seriously it took itself. Kind of the same with the Dark Knight where they spend most of the movie with a weirdo in a bat costume but then going out of their way to make allegories about Dostoevsky. Then they went out of their way to go into Anarchism in the next movie, a somewhat poorly written movie. So I guess it is all a matter of finding the correct balance.

I actually didn't like the Wonder Woman film all that much, it was mostly boring and the story kinda sucked if I am being honest. The only parts I enjoyed were the camaraderie bits and the part where Ares shows up. I really do think the movie took itself way too seriously and made Diana kind of uninteresting as a character. I hate that sort of emotional preaching. Only reason I don't care for the Avengers is because I find it to be a boring action movie with no substance. While that seems to prove Just Write's point I can't see Wonder Woman or the Dark Knight doing it either, since it is shallow but just hard to notice because it sounds really smart. It's kind of like when Playboy has pages with nude women but then there is an "intellectual" article about whatever the ... that's the "you're doing it wrong" moment. Also in Wonder Woman I laughed my ass off when Krillin Steve died and Goku Diana went Super Saiyan "God mode", not a particularly great emotional moment in my opinion. Also daughter of Zeus? I really hate that, I hate when they with the Greek mythology but don't actually make it better, but that is neither here nor there, I just like to rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    It was for kids.

Than it was for nostalgic fans.

Now it's to make a point.
    Super powered lesbian Hispanic Extraterrestrials who can conceive without the help of a man? Is Gabby Rivera even Hispanic by the way? I call shenanigans.

Stick a label on it.

Patrician

avant garde

She was pretty funny. I don't even know if this is a real character or one they made up just for the Deadppol movie.

Patrician

Marvel propaganda is going over time, now they claim that their Legacy comics have the highest sale of any comic right now. Which is complete bullocks since all they are doing is printing overtime and not actually making any significant sales. Legacy was just a ploy to make people think that Marvel was going back to its roots from say a decade or more. But the fact that the original characters are still playing second fiddle to the new kids is proof that this was just a Marvel ploy. They basically have an all new lineup to replace the originals and mark my words the old characters will get phased out sooner or later.

Patrician

So when will Darkseid Thanos find the Dragon Balls Infinity Stones to take over the universe conquer the universe by threatening to destroy all life? Seriously this was teased since the first Avengers movie and now we are going on the third one, is this the one where Darkseid Thanos shows up?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 17, 2017 at 03:14 PM.

Superhero movies will keep going until ideas like this stop happening.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

There's a full roster of films, one reason the Inhumans got bumped when they added Spiderman.

That and the Inhumans story was more complex than a 2.5 hour movie.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Patrician

I figure the Inhumans was just an attempt to cash in on the unforeseen popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy and also as a massive you to Paramount.