Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How Much Longer Will Superhero Movies Dominate Hollywood?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: How Much Longer Will Superhero Movies Dominate Hollywood?

Okay to be fair the trend so far has only been a lack of sales. But will we see another trend in the loss of millions of dollars every year? It isn't the end of the world but the fact that they lost this much money is a sign of something going wrong.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

well me personally, I think Marvel sealed their fate the moment they signed the dotted line. But theres only so many directions that company could go.

Thats coming from my own heartfelt belief that at the end of the day, the cape movies will die off and the comics will continue to lose readers. And because I think the studio system is self-destructive by nature.
    Last edited by RedGuard; September 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

If they do it correctly, once the superhero trend dies down, they can use it as a cheap platform to try out other genres, like the Japanese with their manga, before it's optioned as anime, television dramas or films.

But you have to be willing to invest, or allow the comic to run as a lose leader.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I am really incensed that Hollywood screwed around with the Inhumans and ruined it. That just doesn't seem possible given how many successful Marvel films they have made.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yntVtTgoQ5Y

Other than Black Panther, Black Bolt was my favorite superhero.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 21, 2017 at 04:57 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Pls, stop making all those superhero movies. They are so superficial
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Here's the thing, filmaking has become blockbuster oriented. These films are outrageously expensive, often costing in excess of 100 million. These vehicles are utilized by independent film actors like Scarlet Johannson and Alicia Vikander so they can earn enough money from them so that they can afford to participate in independent films.

Cinema has totally changed due to streaming. The public doesn't support movie theaters anymore. And no wonder as the public is simultaneously cutting the cord of cable tv and streaming their entertainment.

If you were to calculate the average wages of Americans in 1973 compared to today and based upon inflation, then you can clearly see the death of the middle class.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...-than-in-1973/
    They lack the money to use these dying forms of media and hence the production companies put more eggs in one basket by attempting a huge production.

Meanwhile this has simultaneously caused found footage horror films as some portion of zero budget film makers will have a huge return on investment due to streaming.

You know things are rotten when Hollywood takes a jideigeki favorite like the 47 Ronin which had a long history of successful remakes and turns it into a 175 million comic book extravaganza that sucked donkey phallus.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 22, 2017 at 02:59 AM.

Scarlet Johannson is not really 'independent' actress, though. She started her career by being in a movie by FFC's daughter. Beneath the Skin (or how it was called) was the only indie film with her i have seen, and i wouldn't say she was particularly good in it either...
    Not that she is the worst hollywood fiend or anything - compare with people like Jennifer Lawrence, who is really a disgrace, imo
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Actually Scarlet Johanssen mainly made independent films for most of her career.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Actually Scarlet Johanssen mainly made independent films for most of her career.
    I don't care. She is of the wrong politics.

My theory is that despite Millenials having more spare time than any generation in history, they have been conditioned for immediate gratification. Everything is about immediacy even vicarious living by entertainment.

They don't read books only texts. What else you expect but comic book films? How can a film have literary allusions with such shallow buffoons as spectators?

We're living in a time of triggering leftists and hyper political correctness gone mad. How the could you make a period drama today or even a war film that actually reflected history? Instead herculean effort must be made to satisfy the extreme left regardless of what actually transpired.

Take Joan of Arc. If made today her band of supporters would be comic book superheroes, all female lesbian and including transexuals and no mention of Christianity would exist. Instead she would be trying to free France from climate change deniers! She would probably be Wiccan too. One of her followers would to be of African origin and there probably would be a female Chinese kung fu artist.

Because today's Antifa would consider Joan to be a rabid white nationalist Christian fundamentalist, instead the screenwriter would have her embrace not only English culture but Iberian Islamic culture plus refugees.Since she was a monarchist, they would make her a proto-communist.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 22, 2017 at 03:44 AM.

Besides the increasing ticket prices, more of us have really large screens at home, and increasing access to a large selection of quality visual media.

I am really incensed that Hollywood screwed around with the Inhumans and ruined it. That just doesn't seem possible given how many successful Marvel films they have made.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yntVtTgoQ5Y

Other than Black Panther, Black Bolt was my favorite superhero.
    Question: Honestly, did you think they were going to succeed at EVERY thing they filmed?

I mean, hell. You should be able to answer no right off the bat if you watched any of the Netflix or ABC shows because if you have you've seen some pretty bad episodes mixed in the overall shows. No production company bats 1.000. This is true.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Have you read about how screwed up the production was from start to finish? It began as a film franchise, not a serial. I don't know but it might be the curse of the Fantastic Four tainting the Inhumans as that is how they begin in Marvel history.

The entire crew sounded lost at ComicCon as if even they didn't want to be there.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOn3pK_F1s
    Old Ramsey Bolton should be a pro at working the crowd by now due to GoT.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LFuEqDKAA

It sucks that they screwed up Black Bolt.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 22, 2017 at 09:58 AM.

In a word, yes. I've got the sites I follow and I've heard what's happened. Doesn't take away from my question.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Money and preparation, though sometimes it's all for naught.

The entire production looks amateurish considering the budget. No group can always make a good film and I would bet I have praised more very low budget productions than most given the thousands of tv and film shows I have seen.

Gaiden wants us to ignore mediocrity and not mention it even when it plumbs the depths of abysmal.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 22, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

Oh please. Budget has nothing to do with the equation of praise. Budget is relative to what you need to make it work for what you're filming or animating. That's a variable that is HILARIOUSLY independent of whether something is deserving of praise in any industry for which budget is relevant and you damn well know it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

What's the most prominent trait of Medusa? Her hair.

Figure out how it becomes part of the story, and budget for that special effect.

As usual, cue a ridiculous response by Gaiden the Marvel fanboy that demonstrates he didn't read what I wrote. He responds to what he presumes.

The forum software is even worse than it was a year ago
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM.

As usual, cue a ridiculous response by Gaiden the Marvel fanboy that demonstrates he didn't read what I wrote. He responds to what he presumes.

The forum software is even worse than it was a year ago
    Come now. Independent films frequently make very good films without very extreme budgets and get high praise for very work. And they also get very damning reviews from both viewers and reviewers when they crash and burn. Just like the big budget industry. Same as any other industry. You think Marvel is special with their mega budget films? No. They're just another film company that happened to be the first company to succeed at the tentpole film world. Big whoop.

But one thing you don't do is give a movie 250 million dollars in budget when it only needs 20 million dollars to be made. And this applies in every other industry as well, whether its Computer Games(try convincing me that Braid needed the budget of Call of Duty, please, let's hear it), Concerts, or Music Recording. What side of the bed did you wake up on that you're this damn unrealistic this morning?
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson