Thread: Recurring CTD on Argonath with Balrog

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Recurring CTD on Argonath with Balrog

Allright lads; had a quick check on the forum and found some mentions of a Balrog crash, but none relating to this. I play a battle on the Argonath map, me as Gondor and the Misty Mountain Orcs as the AI. Give them a Balrog and start the battle. Runs fine except for when I try to double click/zoom over the river to the Balrog. Instantly CTD's every single time.

I've reinstalled, deleted geography_new, tried to run as admin (the game doesnt launch when I do that - can't find kingdoms.exe when I do) and updated it to the latest patch (3.2 update + hotfix).

Any ideas?

Default Re: Recurring CTD on Argonath with Balrog

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzopdippidybopbop View Post
    Allright lads; had a quick check on the forum and found some mentions of a Balrog crash, but none relating to this. I play a battle on the Argonath map, me as Gondor and the Misty Mountain Orcs as the AI. Give them a Balrog and start the battle. Runs fine except for when I try to double click/zoom over the river to the Balrog. Instantly CTD's every single time.

I've reinstalled, deleted geography_new, tried to run as admin (the game doesnt launch when I do that - can't find kingdoms.exe when I do) and updated it to the latest patch (3.2 update + hotfix).

Any ideas?
    Custom battle right? Do other custom units make you CTD (Ents, Sauron, Spiders)? Have you tried using lower video settings? Turn off shadows quality (set to None), and use medium "Unit and Effects Detail" , and, medium texture quality.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Thanks for the reply. I've played Osgiliath and normal battles with the Balrog in my army and it ran fine. Also played Cair Andros with spiders in the enemy army without major issue (some pathfinding but nothing shocking). Surely it's not a hardware issue? I'm running the game off a new ASUS G752VS......

I'll first try running with shadows off, then try lowering settings and get back to you!

Turning shadows off appeared to fix the issue for me with the Balrog; however I played a battle in "Mordor" and the enemy army had Sauron. Same problem again (even with shadows off).
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; August 30, 2017 at 02:42 PM.

For some users, these issues do happen from time to time, and here is a whole thread related to it:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...wolves-crashes

If you are running Win 10 or 8, you could set both of your kingdoms.exe and medieval2.exe applications to be run in Windows 7 Compatibility mod, and try battles with Sauron, and these special units again.

Apparently, Win 10 and 8 suck when it comes to M2TW game engine, and, compatibility mod tries to fix their issues with it.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    If you are running Win 10 or 8, you could set both of your kingdoms.exe and medieval2.exe applications to be run in Windows 7 Compatibility mod, and try battles with Sauron, and these special units again.

Apparently, Win 10 and 8 suck when it comes to M2TW game engine, and, compatibility mod tries to fix their issues with it.
    Tried that already and for me it didn't make any difference, the crashes still happened. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to try this and it might help with avoiding the game freezing during battles, which seems to happen to quite a few people (including me) lately.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Tried that already and for me it didn't make any difference, the crashes still happened. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to try this and it might help with avoiding the game freezing during battles, which seems to happen to quite a few people (including me) lately.
    Microsoft screwed up a lot of users with few of their latest patches released. I would bet some of those affected M2TW game engine as well.

If you have Win 10 or 8, and wish to try with Win 7 again, use the VirtualBox dual OS installation (so you can keep your Win 10/8 OS, and have Win 7 along with your OS).