Thread: ERE Which units to go for?

Default ERE Which units to go for?

I am a new player in the TW world, I have downloaded Attila, learned the basics with Sassanids (I went about 40 turns in), and I have decided I'd eventually start the ERE campaign. The unit system seems to be pretty complicated for me, so which units do I need to go for ASAP in the tech tree? I think I can deal with tactics somewhat, but the unit system is, at least for me, having less than 5 hours in the game, very complicated. Input is appreciated.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: ERE Which units to go for?

You're going to be going up against horse archers so make sure your foot archers are up to standard. Advance your infantry as a matter of urgency. You'll need testudo trained troops for the Huns and base level infantry are going to get slaughtered by the goths who will then send their own roman infantry back at you...

I don't worry too much about cavalry, you'll get access to your own horse archers along with sagittarii who are good enough for mopping up and dealing with stragglers... so save the construction space for artillery.

Make sure you advance your artillery research. You'll capture a few onagers along the way which might tide you over, but you'll get nailed if you try to go toe to toe with multiple Hun armies because they'll be packing their own big onagers and all it takes is a quick glance away and they've taken out half your cavalry or archers.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Default Re: ERE Which units to go for?

Go with middle tech tree from military, which upgrades your cohorts and the like. Towns have default garrison, so try to make those units strong as possible. There are going to be a lot of battles, where you just use your garrison. (Though as wre much more)
    Pretty much merc cavalry and archers handle other areas, so keep using them, until your infrastructure is ok. Then you can go to cavalry tree. Tagmata cavalry are epic.