Thread: Started playing recently, need some help

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

Default Started playing recently, need some help

Got Warhammer for 12 euros in humble bundle and it was sitting in my library for a long time. Then I decided to start playing, got the WE DLC and got down to business.
    My first game was Wood Elves which was a mistake, due to being completely clueless about the game and I didn't fully understand the amber mechanic. Second was Dwarfs, and it seemed extremely easy on Normal. I've had one full army, conquered entire starting region, then proceeded to do the same with two other provinces. No one really opposed me. Just moved my army, destroyed puny garrisons, healed up for a turn or two, and continued. Went back to WE as Durthu, won the game around turn 100, with only a few battles. Used amber on tech, used boni to ally with Empire, Bretonnia and Dwarfs, upgraded the tree and won the battle.

So I decided that normal was too easy. Started Dwarfs again on Hard and got my but handed down to me, TWICE. AI was suddenly sending armies against me, multiple opponents from multiple directions, as soon as I moved my first army, two almost full AI armies were there, and proceeded to sack, raze and conquer with impunity.

I started a game as the Empire, and I'm doing okay-ish. Reiksland and Wasteland (Marienburg) under my full control, and one to the south 2/3. But now, Chaos has appeared, Norsca attacked me and is sending armies my way, VC are pressing hard from the east and I can only afford two almost full armies to defend two fronts, and my enemies field at least two full armies in their respective fronts. Furthermore, there are two full Beastman armies (neutral so far) which are raiding my provinces, and I dare not attack them.

After this introduction, I wanna ask some questions:

1) Is there really such a huge difference between Normal and Hard or was I just lucky in my first few games? I'm struggling a bit on hard and feel it would be better to lower the difficulty, but I don't want to do that if it is going to be walk over like I experienced earlier.

2) How hard can I expect defeating Chaos would be on Normal/Hard? Do they run out of steam after taking some land (like Mongols in Med2) or do they press on relentlessly unless the player stops them?

3) What's the best way to deal with Vampiric Corruption? I know there are some techs and buildings that help, but if I'm moving my armies to Vampire land, they're gonna suffer a lot of attrition before I take it? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and endure the attrition?

4) Does Chaos attack Vampires?

5) If I ally Bretonnia, which I'm protecting from Chaos, would they send armies to help me against Chaos, even though they aren't directly threatened?

6) What's the best way to deal with Mammoths? Can they run amok like elephants in previous games, if you pester them?

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Started playing recently, need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    1) Is there really such a huge difference between Normal and Hard or was I just lucky in my first few games? I'm struggling a bit on hard and feel it would be better to lower the difficulty, but I don't want to do that if it is going to be walk over like I experienced earlier.

2) How hard can I expect defeating Chaos would be on Normal/Hard? Do they run out of steam after taking some land (like Mongols in Med2) or do they press on relentlessly unless the player stops them?

3) What's the best way to deal with Vampiric Corruption? I know there are some techs and buildings that help, but if I'm moving my armies to Vampire land, they're gonna suffer a lot of attrition before I take it? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and endure the attrition?

5) If I ally Bretonnia, which I'm protecting from Chaos, would they send armies to help me against Chaos, even though they aren't directly threatened?

6) What's the best way to deal with Mammoths? Can they run amok like elephants in previous games, if you pester them?

1. Off the top of my head, the harder difficulties add bonuses to the AI players' income, morale, while adding penalties to your public order and diplomacy success rate. If I recall correctly, the normal difficulty incurs no bonuses or penalties to either side. I tend to play on very hard because the battles seem to end too quickly with an enemy route on lower difficulties.

2. I feel Chaos is much more tamed now than ever, but it could be because I'm more conscientious of the end times. In my experience, Archaon originally would lay waste to everything North of Karaz a Karak and Athel Loren. More recently they seem to be rather tamed depending on the success of the Vampire Counts to absorb the brunt of their invasion.

3. Use the encampment stance, it will slow your movement (usually requires 50% or so movement points minimum) but you wont incur corruption attrition. Some races have access to underways (e.g. Dwarfs, Greenskins, Wood Elves) that also circumvents corruption attrition.

4. Yes, in my experience they tend to either wipe out Vampire Counts or crash against them repeatedly.

5. Yes, if they're also at war with Chaos and you set a Chaos army as a joint military target (done via diplomacy screen).

6. The answer to that varies on the race you're playing. Generally a few units that have ant-large bonuses will do the job. They're big and slow, so I imagine skirmisher cav that out ranges (e.g. Outriders) them will do the trick with minimal losses. As Dwarfs, I'd bring cannons/bolt throwers and throw some Slayers at them. I haven't experimented with every combination, but I imagine Vampire Counts would have the hardest time with Mammoths.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

They get bonus income and they get some leadership boni. They are also more agressive.

Depends which faction you play, Empire and Norsca have it the hardest. The final Chaos invasion generally get to where they are going until they are stopped by the player as those factions. As Dwarves, VC and Orks or Wood Elves you dont have to concern yourself with them at all.
    Raiding stance dont suffer from corruption. Otherwise just move from settlement to settlement and dont siege, just instantly attack.

Rarely. Only if the Vampires own significant lands in the Empire. And Vamps usually win that confrontation.

Yes if you ask them through War Coordination in the diplomacy screen.

Massive missile focus will bring them down rather quick. Vamps is the only race that really has troubles. They will have to use Crypt Horrors, spirit leech and blood knights.

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks guys!

Empire and Norsca have it the hardest
    Aren't Norsca allied to Chaos or something? I've noticed they've declared war on me when Chaos invaded.

So mammoths are like any other monsters. They can't run amok and kill their own troops, you have to kill them or rout them the usual way.

A few more questions:

1) What about Beastmen? Their armies appear randomly on the map, if I'm not mistaken. I killed one and said "Faction destroyed" but some other beastmen tribe appeared. Any way to make sure they don't appear in your territory or do you have to accept that they may randomly pop up anywhere and at any point?

2) What are "ward saves"? I've seen some artifacts give this bonus. In tabletop it is apparently flat damage reduction - how does it work in the game?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

If you play Norsca, you can wage war against Chaos, which I imagine is very difficult.

Yes, Beastmen can randomly appear anywhere at any time. It's somewhat annoying, but it is lore-accurate.

Ward saves are indeed a flat damage reduction for all types of damage. They are great.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."