Thread: Age of Empires IV

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Age of Empires IV

Very, very excited. Early days yet but they're really teasing us. I wonder what period it will be? Everyone seems to think that it will be multiple periods but to me it seemed the trailer is just following the progression of previous AoE games. It might be a totally different period. Then again, an Empire Earth-style AoE spanning millenia might be pretty cool. Is anyone else as excited as me? It was Age of Empires that introduced me to RTS so if anything I'm more of an AoE fan than I am a Total War fan, and it doesn't help that my computer doesn't even run any of the AoEs since I upgraded to Windows 10. So AoE IV can't come soon enough.

http://mashable.com/2017/08/22/age-o.../#VNm84W.7IZqm
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Default Re: Age of Empires IV

I have no idea what to make of it.

But any early era without wololooo is incomplete.

The way it is presented in the trailer, it seems to be set in a post-AoE III time frame.

I'd prefer a pre-industrail setting, but I'll end up buying wathever they come up with as long as it doesn't look like AoE Online.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Be prepared for it to be a Windows store exclusive title. Relic has a fairly good track record however I hope the quality is more in line with Company of Heroes 1 rather then their more recent titles.

Uh, if DOW 3 is anything to go by, or everything that Relic has done since being sold to SEGA in 2013, it will probably be bad. Hopefully it will at least be more like the originals in the series than the abomination that is DOW 3 is.

The only good thing that i realized when i heard its relic that is doing it is that it probably wont be ww1 or ww2, which was what i was fearing.

Hopefully it will be crimean war-american civil war-paraguayan war-franco prussian war-up to anglo zulu war (or at MAX ww1...)
    Last edited by Wulfburk; August 26, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Seeing how true they are staying to the original version with the definitive edition of Age of empires 1, I have good hopes for it. They are updating the AI, pathfinding and such but the buildings, units and everything look the same but in better graphics. Buildings look bigger or perhaps the units are smaller.

It does indeed appear like it will be set after age of empires 3, which seemed to get close to 1900 or such.
    So my guess is that they will stick with the formula in a new more modern age that will likely be about world war 1 and 2. They might go into modern territory too but I feel they should not go beyond ww2.
    AOE 3's mistake was already that they wanted to cover too much time which made many units look ridiculous next to each other. Especially since armor is not phasing out in later periods but is actually added as upgrades.

I'd rather see earlier periods myself, but with definitive versions of age of empires 2 and 3 on the way, we will get some of that too.
    Empires: Dawn of the modern war did manage to put WW1 and 2 well into it with unique factions. So I do think it can work.

But then it is a direct competitor with COH 1 and 2, their main game, to say nothing of men of war, steel division, etc etc.

Would be much better for them to do it 1850-1910, which is hardly ever done in games, excluding victoria 2 which is a totally different game altogether.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Either way it's not exactly "the age of empires" anymore though at that point.

Maybe they should dabble with the future instead?

WW2 tech could be the starting point: Age 1 and 2. Age 3 could be modern day and Age 4 could be a little futuristic.

Either way I am far more interested in the definitive editions of age of empires 1, 2 and 3 than in Age of Empires 4 since the trailer indicates it won't be any age I'd care about since it comes after the time period of 3.

Hopefully Age of Mythology gets a definitive edition too.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

"Either way it's not exactly "the age of empires" anymore though at that point."
    Are you kidding? The Victorian era was the golden age for colonial empires, Europe became a powerhouse with the advent of industrialization.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    What's a "definitive" edition?

It's how they are calling this shiny new version of Age of Empires 1 that we can see footage of, and what they are planning for age of empires 2 and 3 too.

I'm really hoping they will add new content to these versions as well. Age of Empires 1 could use it.

Would be great to see maybe some unique units in age of empires 1. Or gates.

If they don't fix the tragic pathfinding in AoE 1, then it is irrelevant whatever they do.

They have, they already showed it in a video. Showed an army of cavalry moving through a forest with lots of loose trees.

Wow, you mean they actually sat down and earned their salary? What kind of magic is that?

Here's hoping it will revive the base building strategy game genre.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Either way it's not exactly "the age of empires" anymore though at that point.

Maybe they should dabble with the future instead?

WW2 tech could be the starting point: Age 1 and 2. Age 3 could be modern day and Age 4 could be a little futuristic.

Either way I am far more interested in the definitive editions of age of empires 1, 2 and 3 than in Age of Empires 4 since the trailer indicates it won't be any age I'd care about since it comes after the time period of 3.

The high period of european imperialism is most definitely age of empires. WWI was caused by imperialism in the first place.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope they stay away from steam technology era. Everything after 1850 is shite.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    I hope they stay away from steam technology era. Everything after 1850 is shite.
    Really? Tell us why?