Thread: "Pardoned captives" - consequences of releasing prisoners?

Default "Pardoned captives" - consequences of releasing prisoners?

Hello.

What are exact results of after-battle action when we set prisoners free?

Of course we have slightly smaller recovery (5% difference its absurdically small value) and we have impact on diplomatic relations with other empired.

Increase of leadership is obvious.

But I didnt notice (maybe I'm stupid) that if we release prisoners there is more soldiers in enemy army that retreates (or maybe numbers i saw were so small that I didnt notice it)

In all previous Total Wars when we attacked some army second time it was automatically killed if we won.

Is there any change in this rule when we release prisoners?

They go somewhere? AI have any option to recruit some units without cost or faster?

Or there is no any impact on such field? They are released as option but in fact they "disappear" from world in the same way as they would be killed - only it has different effect on leadership potential increase, recovery money and diplomatic relations with other nations?

Default Re: "Pardoned captives" - consequences of releasing prisoners?

PS - of course I wanted to write that "no increase of leadership is obvious" (when we release prisoners).

I haven't noticed them returning to their army - I don't believe the captives actually 'exist'. I think it's a number based on how many broken/shattered soldiers you run down, but you can get traits and ancillaries (or whatever they're called) that increase the number of captives you take. It would be silly if you released more captives than you took, or suffered because of these bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    I haven't noticed them returning to their army - I don't believe the captives actually 'exist'. I think it's a number based on how many broken/shattered soldiers you run down, but you can get traits and ancillaries (or whatever they're called) that increase the number of captives you take. It would be silly if you released more captives than you took, or suffered because of these bonuses.
    I don't remember until which Total War there was indeed mechanism that prisoners who were released after battle came back to enemy's army. For sure in Medieval I this system worked. And I think that also in Medieval II but can be mistaken. I'm sure for 99% that in Rome II it worked.

I think that now released prisoners just disappear as they implemented this system when diplomatic relations changed in different way when we release (or kill) captives and there is choice between money and leadership.

In playing as Empire:

You get money.

The enemy army doesn't get back the prisoners, at least according to the new campaign I played to test this; the army retreats and their numbers look the same as in the panel where you choose to pardon/ execute/ take on captives.

When an army is defeated a second time it is killed off, regardless of what choices you make with the captives.

I am like 95% sure that in MTW2 (some) soldiers are returned to the defeated army, but only if you chose to ransom; I would have to test that out to make sure. But like in all TW games, defeating a second time kills off the army regardless of the choice.

You might be asking what's the logic behind it: well the logic is completely game-based: the captives feature allow for three bonuses to your army as a result of winning, and it is all about choosing one of said three bonuses.

EDIT: I think it doesn't return troops in MTW2 either; I just defeated a Polish army in my HRE campaign, and the army's numbers remained the same when I chose to release them. It is possible that the captives may count as Wounded, and like all wounded troops have a chance to die and just so happened that none of them are proc'ed to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    In playing as Empire:

You get money.

The enemy army doesn't get back the prisoners, at least according to the new campaign I played to test this; the army retreats and their numbers look the same as in the panel where you choose to pardon/ execute/ take on captives.

When an army is defeated a second time it is killed off, regardless of what choices you make with the captives.

I am like 95% sure that in MTW2 (some) soldiers are returned to the defeated army, but only if you chose to ransom; I would have to test that out to make sure. But like in all TW games, defeating a second time kills off the army regardless of the choice.

You might be asking what's the logic behind it: well the logic is completely game-based: the captives feature allow for three bonuses to your army as a result of winning, and it is all about choosing one of said three bonuses.

EDIT: I think it doesn't return troops in MTW2 either; I just defeated a Polish army in my HRE campaign, and the army's numbers remained the same when I chose to release them. It is possible that the captives may count as Wounded, and like all wounded troops have a chance to die and just so happened that none of them are proc'ed to survive.
    Thanks. But there is some problem with this "second defeat".

But this is problem for another topic what i will just make.

Quote Originally Posted by gattaca20000 View Post
    I don't remember until which Total War there was indeed mechanism that prisoners who were released after battle came back to enemy's army. For sure in Medieval I this system worked. And I think that also in Medieval II but can be mistaken. I'm sure for 99% that in Rome II it worked.
    I'm quite sure you don't get troops back in Rome II, or any of the games since Empire - since they programmed Warscape for Empire it's just not part of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    You do in Medieval 2, assuming the ransom is accepted - they are released as separate units in a separate army.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    I'm quite sure you don't get troops back in Rome II, or any of the games since Empire - since they programmed Warscape for Empire it's just not part of the engine.

You do in Medieval 2, assuming the ransom is accepted - they are released as separate units in a separate army.
    Not in M2TW but original MTW. Your ransomed units will reappear the next turn in one of your province.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Not in M2TW but original MTW. Your ransomed units will reappear the next turn in one of your province.
    You're right. Got it confused with release prisoners.

In MTW2 the soldiers reform into units (often severely diminished, rarely full size) and retreat, HOWEVER, not always, sometimes their numbers were so crippled that even if you release, their army just disbands lol.