Thread: Total Eclipse of 2017

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Default Total Eclipse of 2017

Has anyone else observed the eclipse? I was a little too far south to see totality, but I saw a partial eclipse. I'd seen eclipses before when I was a kid, but this was it's always nice to see another one.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Total Eclipse of 2017

did you remember to keep your glasses on even while it was partially dark

so you didnt unwittlingly damage your eyes?

Haha yeah, the local library has been drumming that into kids for the past couple of weeks.

Here's the live feed. We're at the tail end but it's still fun. https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive/#NA...Public+Channel

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I was dumb...DUMB...today.*

I wandered outside forgetting about the Eclipse (thought it was tomorrow) and was wondering why it was relatively dark and looked up at the sky thinking we were finally getting some overcast weather and realized it as soon as I looked at the sun. Luckily it was only for a fraction of a second. Hurt like a though.

I do remember years ago seeing a very partial eclipse in the Bay Area and looking at it for a full minute with sunglasses on and it didn't hurt but whatever...younger eyes I guess.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I was in the zone of complete totality, I live just South of Charlotte so we only had to drive like 3 hours (normally one hour... traffic) to see it down in Newberry. Got to see the whole thing, played Also Sprach Zarathustra when it finally covered up the sun and timed it perfectly.

You can glance at the total eclipse for a second, quickly, or see it indirectly out of your peripheral vision, but never look at a partial eclipse.

Partial eclipse doesn't compare, even at 99% totality it's like broad daylight out. Experiencing the total eclipse is kind of like the same as before a bad, tornado-producing thunderstorm. Where the sky turns dark and has an almost green tint to it, and the cool breeze picks up. Then it suddenly goes black, the sky itself turns purple and looks like it does during a sunset. But instead of one half of the sky turning colors, it's like a ring of fire around the horizon.

Not taken by me, this was by a friend in East TN:

Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; August 21, 2017 at 07:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm about a ten hour driving distance away from the zone of totality. I could have gone but with school starting back I simply couldn't. It sucks but I know in the future I will try my best to see another one. It will just be a while.

It was still cool seeing it on the livestream, even though I know it's nothing compared to seeing it on the ground.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

There's supposed to be another total eclipse in Austin in 2024. I'll be in my forties then.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Runs from Austin thru Tennessee to Maine, basically, yep.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a good time to go visit family.

Texas is actually getting two within a six month timespan.

I would like to see both. I personally think annular eclipses look just as cool but either way I want to see at least one. We will see.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lol I like how they just all avoid europe.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

What is this racism. Antartica gets an eclipse but Australia doesn't? en institutionalised racism.

Blog Entries

Silly caligula, the eclipse just doesn't want to go near a penal colony

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It knows it'll just get caught in the web of one of your giant-ass spiders and get stuck, that's why it doesn't go to Australia.

You'll get one eventually. I'll live long enough to see it do this again right across the middle of South Carolina in 2078.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Maybe an eclipse already tried to get to Australia but died unnoticed in a camp in Papua-New Guinea because it was black?

Eclipses are cool, though, as they allow us to test General Relativity.
    Last edited by Iskar; August 22, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

At least Darwin and Perth are fairly close to the 2023 eclipse. Poor New Zealand gets cut out completely.

Praeses

Well I don't care, I didn't want to see the eclipse anyway. Stupid things, just a moon interposing itself between a planet and a star, with the freakishly anomalous coincidence that the size of the moon exactly occludes the sun while allowing the corona to be visible in a moment of extremely rare natural beauty, who wants to see that? #corncob
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I do remember years ago seeing a very partial eclipse in the Bay Area and looking at it for a full minute with sunglasses on and it didn't hurt but whatever...younger eyes I guess.
    Nope...Nineteen cases of solar retinopathy, they all were young. Visual prognosis after solar retinopathy - British
    Same here, all patients were young Acute eclipse retinopathy: A small case series - NCBI - NIH
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I saw it from a live feed. Good stuff, wish i could see it from up close.

You guys are lucky. Here, in Greece, the next Total Eclipse that we will be able to see will be in 2088 if i'm not mistaken.

My Picture Gallery

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Eclipses are fun. No doubt about it. I however slept through it after an all night with TWM2.

Kind of like how I missed my first computer class final nearly four decades ago in college. Yes I probably was not ready for college.

I think I get more excited about sporting events, moon rocket launches, just walking through a research lab, etc. than an act of nature though. It is probably just a flaw within me.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Just a bit south of totality - and had to work. But my wife and kids got drive north to see full show. Even the partial was cool I especially liked the crescent shadows
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.