Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SS6.4] Revival of a Dying Breed

Default Re: [SS6.4] Revival of a Dying Breed

Chapter VIII: A Noble Death in Defense of the Capital

Unbeknownst to Emperor Isaakios, the Caliphate army combined with forces from all over the Muslim world. The Khwarezmians and Seljuk Turks accompanied the massive army sent from Egypt. The outcome of this war looked very bleak, and it tried the hearts of even the bravest men throughout the Empire.

Isaakios camped at the river crossing, east of Nicaea, in an effort to block the reinforcing Persian army. Egyptian navies closed in around the Bosphorus and a rogue French Crusader army and fleet lay camped outside the walls of Nicaea whose ambitions were unknown. Isaakios' son, Vakhos Komnenos was stationed as head of the royal garrison at Constantinople. He appealed to the governor of Adrianople who responded accordingly. Efdaimos Lekapinos of Adrianople was a man of impressive composition and rallied his men in defense of the capital. They marched out at once and set upon attacking the head of the Caliphate army. However, the Turks were first to launch an assault against the mighty walls of Constantinople before Lekapinos and his men arrived.

Komnenos ordered his infantry to assemble in a defensive perimeter around the gates and to stop the Muslim ram. The archers were ordered to aid in this fight from the walls, shooting over the heads of the Byzantine infantry at the approaching Turks.

The Turks fell upon the defensive Byzantine formation in droves, but the superior training and equipment of the Byzantines once again proved its worth. Komnenos knew that if he could bog down the Turkish infantry long enough, he would win due to attrition. For the Byzantine archers could fire at the Turks, but the Turkish archers could not fire at the Byzantines, lest they fire into the backs of their infantry. The Byzantine shield wall held firm. The plan worked to perfection.

A Turkish siege tower approached the walls south of the battle at the gates. Komnenos ordered concentrated ballista fire from the impressive towers of Constantinople and the siege tower went up in flames right before it reached the walls. The Turks would have to win the fight at the gates in order to gain entry to the capital now. All attention was directed towards the advancing Turkish ranks. A constant stream of arrows landed upon the Turks, slaying great numbers of them before they could reach the fight outside the gate. Komnenos knew victory was near.

The Turks sent wave after wave against the Byzantine shield wall to no avail, and although the casualties were high on both sides the Turks were forced to regroup and fall back after losing the fight for the gate. The day was won and Komnenos was hailed a master of defense. The capital was safe for now but there was still an army gathered outside the walls comprising of many thousands of Caliphate and Persian soldiers. This was just the first wave of the Siege of Constantinople. Lekapinos reinforcements were needed desperately.

At long last, Lekapinos and his army from Adrianople arrived. Komnenos sallied forth and consolidated forces with him. The Muslims were camped all around the walls of Constantinople in an effort to suffocate the city into submission. This provided a unique opportunity to attack the head of the Caliphate army, who was camped outside the western walls. Lekapinos and Komnenos engaged the Caliphate general Abdul-Aziz ibn Hujayrah.

The battle opened with a missile engagement, as thousands of Caliphate horse archers charged the Byzantine ranks, forming cantabrian circles as they fired. The archers of Adrianople brought a new type of bow, with much greater range that had a more devastating impact on the enemy. They outranged the horse archers by far and shot them down. The Caliphate horsemen were forced to fall back. Komnenos then ordered his infantry to advance and meet the Egyptian infantry head on. The fighting was brief as the Caliphate forces were stunned that they were now on the defensive. The Byzantine infantry massacred the Muslims. Komnenos ordered a final cataphract charge on the flanks of the Muslim army, and they were annihilated.

Two swift Byzantine victories produced a new sense of war fervor. It seemed the odds had now become even, miraculously.

Immediately, the Khwarezmian army east of Nicaea finally pushed across the river. Emperor Isaakios, now at the fragile age of 80, knew he must finish the job in order to save his empire. With not many days left in his life, he ordered to attack. The battlefield would be a dusty plain, north of Nicaea. With numbers even on both sides, Isaakios' men charged the field. The Byzantine infantry clashed with the Persian line and the cavalry engaged on both flanks. How unfortunate it was that the Persians brought their most elite cavalry to the field, comprising of knights and horses armored head to toe, which made quick work of Isaakios' light knights. The Persian heavy cavalry then turned inwards and charged the infantry. In a chaotic fray of man and horse, the casualties were unlike anything Isaakios had witnessed. Swords, spears, shields, javelins, knives, and horse were used in the ensuing fight. Both sides suffered thousands of casualties in the melee, and it was at this moment that Isaakios decided he would either become the victor, or die in the midst of it. He ordered his bodyguard cataphracts to charge around the melee and hack down the Afghan peltasts who were dealing excessive damage to the Byzantine infantry. Persian reserve light cavalry responded by swarming Isaakios bodyguard. The Byzantine archers tried to pick them off but were unable to do so in time. Isaakios fell, slain by the Persian horsemen. But still, his men fought on to the very last man. When all of the Byzantine infantry had been slain, the archers reformed and fired shot after shot at the remaining Persian infantry until there were no more than ten Persian infantrymen left. The Afghan javelinemen engaged the archers until they were finally broken. The army was Isaakios was defeated, but the Persians were halted from marching on Constantinople.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This noble last stand made by Isaakios allowed Komnenos and Lekapinos to form a plan of attack on the remaining Muslims outside the walls of Constantinople. A few months later they attacked the remaining Muslim army and drove them from the field. The combined strength of the Constantinople royal garrison and the army of Adrianople was a formidable force, and Komnenos knew this. His men marched in, confident that victory was near.

The Byzantine front ranks absorbed the initial cavalry charge with poise, and eliminated them with efficiency. The battle was short. The death of their general Abdul-Aziz ibn Hujayrah in the previous battle was seen as a terrible omen for the Jihad. The men crumbled in fear and broke. Komnenos, with the desperately needed aid from Lekapinos, had won. Both men returned to the capital as victors in the war. Once again, the empire was safe.

Adanlohrd2's Avatar Libertus

When I saw the post I thought it was going to be a tale of a great defeat and the taking of Constantinople by the Muslims. What a great tragedy it would be, but how good it was not. From what I saw there was a weakness in the monitoring of the seas, since the muslims made attacks by the sea, right? What you said about the French crossed and his unknown interests is also something disturbing. I suggest you create good relations with Catholics right away. A crusade after a jihad would be a catastrophe. I'm glad it was time for the ballistas, and Isaakios was responsible, if I'm not mistaken.

"He ordered the construction of ballista towers in Constantinople to help prepare for the defense and ordered the levy of all nearby towns to support the garrison." (Chapter VII)

And good to see that in the end:

"Once again, the empire was safe" (Chapter VIII)

Indeed, a misleading title but not incorrect. Isaakios' death is a huge loss but it was inevitable seeing as he was 80.

From what I saw there was a weakness in the monitoring of the seas, since the muslims made attacks by the sea, right?
    Actually, the Islamic armies marched by land and navies met there to attempt to blockade the port of Constantinople. They were all destroyed by my navy stationed defensively at the port of Nicaea.

I suggest you create good relations with Catholics right away. A crusade after a jihad would be a catastrophe
    This is rather complicated situation. My relations with the Catholics are very poor, and there would certainly be no cooperation with them in the event of a crusade. But a crusade would definitely be to my benefit as I could capitalize on the offensive and take back more possessions that belonged to the eastern Roman Empire centuries ago. The crusade would be the distraction I needed in order to launch a new offensive in the East without worry of attack from both Muslims and Catholics.

At this point, everything seems well, unless the pope launches a crusade on Constantinople right after this jihad... Well I would definitely need to come up with a different strategy for that. And in fact I already have one in mind if that thought becomes a reality.

Adanlohrd2's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    unless the pope launches a crusade on Constantinople right after this jihad
    This is what i'm talking about!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

try to get shiponatores ASAP will made constantinople invulnerable against all but the strongest and largest attacks

good writing again Emperor
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123