Thread: Changing Armor formula

Fettel88's Avatar Foederatus

Default Changing Armor formula

Hello everybody! Wanted to ask if it's possible to change the formula for the armor mechanic via pfm, let me explain. Right now damage is reduced by a random percentage from half the unit's armor value to the full armor value. So if a unit have 100 armor any attack they receibe will be reduced randomly from 50 to 100 percent. Well now what i wanted is to change that so instead of percent the damage is reduced by a static value number, in the same case as before if a unit have 100 armor the damage would be reduced by 50 to 100 damage. Basically what i want is to eliminate the percent thing but i don't know if those formulars are editable somewhere in the files. So far i haven't found nothing. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Changing Armor formula

Are you totally sure it works on a percentage? I was under the impression that it already works using static values.

For example a unit with 50 armour suffers a hit that does 60 damage. The armour will stop between 25-50 damage, not 50-100% of the damage done? Does that make sense? It's hard to describe!

What about changing the "Lower armour roll cap" at the top of the Kv_rules table to "1", this would mean that armour would stop it's full value of damage each hit?

Let me know what you find out!

It works as percentaje indeed. Changing "Lower armour roll cap" to "1" should eliminate the random dice thing but the damage reduction will be percent. You can test it fairly easy: Increase a unit damage to 1000, then increase another unit armor to just 100 and change "Lower armour roll cap" to "1". The damage will be 1 always, because that's the minimun amount, units can't do 0 damage. However don't forget that ap damage completely ignore armor.

Now the problem with this sistem is that units with low values fail to deflect any damage no matter how crap are the weapon used agaimst them. For exaple let's take some bretonian swordsmen with leather armor, they have 30 armor. They will reduce damage randomly from 15% to 30% no matter the weapon, even if they were attacked by crappy sticks. On the other hand Unit with high values will reduce damage too much no matter what they're attacked with, exept for ap damage.

Obviously this sistem is so arcade and unrealistic, armour should be effective or ineffective depending on the weapon used. For example leather armor should be able to deflect crappy weapons like daggers or even short swords attacks but fail at anything better, chainmail should be able to stop most blades and spears but still fail at stopping powerful weapons like two handed swords, finally full plate armor should be able to stop most weapons exept warhammers, halberds, maces or other ap weapons. You can't reproduce that as long as armor work as percentaje.
    Last edited by Fettel88; September 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettel88 View Post
    Now the problem with this sistem is that units with low values fail to deflect any damage no matter how crap are the weapon used agaimst them. For exaple let's take some bretonian swordsmen with leather armor, they have 30 armor. They will reduce damage randomly from 15% to 30% no matter then weapon, even if they were attacked by crappy sticks. On the other hand Unit with high values will reduce damage too much no matter what they're attacked with, exept for ap damage.
    The problem is that you have to account somehow for the parts of the body not covered by armor. If you do succeed in making damage resistance a flat values, rather than a percentage, the bretonian may very well be impervious to sticks. But what about the skilled stickfighter that can jam his stick in the soldiers face? How would you account for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    The problem is that you have to account somehow for the parts of the body not covered by armor. If you do succeed in making damage resistance a flat values, rather than a percentage, the bretonian may very well be impervious to sticks. But what about the skilled stickfighter that can jam his stick in the soldiers face? How would you account for that?
    You give them more damage, that reflect their superior ability to do more damage with the same weapon. And don't forget the armor roll dice, let's say a unit armed with crappy sticks have only 20 damage against another unit equipped with leather that have 30 armor. if we configure "Lower armour roll cap" to something like "0.5" If the armor rolls something like 19 or highter the damage will be just 1 but if the armor roll it's minimun amount 15, they guys with the sticks will be able to do 5 damage reflecting they hit some weak spot.
    Last edited by Fettel88; September 13, 2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettel88 View Post
    You give them more damage, that reflect their superior ability to do more damage with the same weapon. And don't forget the armor roll dice, let's say a unit armed with crappy sticks have only 20 damage against another unit equipped with leather that have 30 armor. if we configure "Lower armour roll cap" to something like "0.5" If the armor rolls something like 19 or highter the damage will be just 1 but if the armor roll it's minimun amount 15, they guys with the sticks will be able to do 5 damage reflecting they hit some weak spot.
    Good point I suppose. I had considered actually lowering armor roll cap all teh way to 0 and drastically increasing the armor values. So when you have 200 armour, the enemy has only a 50% chance of actually doing any damage at all, but still has a chance to do full damage.

You may be able to simulate a flat armour reduction to some extent by changing weapon damage. You standardize all normal damage to a certain value, say 25, and put everything above that into armor piercing. Massive downsize off course is that you couldn't really differentiate between plate armor and leather armor, as all AP damage ignores armor completely.