Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sinclair Broadcasting brings 'troubling' rightwing bias to local news

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sinclair Broadcasting brings 'troubling' rightwing bias to local news

I do enjoy the instant "triggered" at left or right bias in the news when it's against peoples own views. If it's biased any side, it's not news, its propaganda, that's the thing people should be triggered by. With Trump in office however, you can hardly be shocked at more leftist stance in reporting, it's pretty hard not to be left of majority of his or his administrations policies and actions.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Default Re: Sinclair Broadcasting brings 'troubling' rightwing bias to local news

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Mainstream media bias in the US is a pretty well known fact, I'm surprised you would even ask for sources. Let's look at coverage on Trump, for example, since that's what you chose to prove media bias in favour of the right.
    Means nothing without a comparative on a democrat leader, such as Obama. Also, Trump is not a traditional republican, and has a notoriously confrontational style with the media. It is not really a fair argument about bias towards the left. It is, perhaps, an argument for bias against Trump.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    Means nothing without a comparative on a democrat leader, such as Obama. Also, Trump is not a traditional republican, and has a notoriously confrontational style with the media. It is not really a fair argument about bias towards the left. It is, perhaps, an argument for bias against Trump.
    There is a comparison to 3 other presidents in the article i linked in a later post. I believe Obama there is listed as 60% positive.

OP used bias in favour of Trump as a right wing bias, so I feel it only fair to use bias against Trump as a left wing bias.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

There is a comparison to 3 other presidents in the article i linked in a later post. I believe Obama there is listed as 60% positive.

OP used bias in favour of Trump as a right wing bias, so I feel it only fair to use bias against Trump as a left wing bias.
    Bias against trump from the media is neither left nor right wing. Trump's platform is anti-intellectualism and distrust of the media. Various newspapers that have endorsed a Republican in every election for over a hundred years didn't endorse Trump.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Bias against trump from the media is neither left nor right wing. Trump's platform is anti-intellectualism and distrust of the media. Various newspapers that have endorsed a Republican in every election for over a hundred years didn't endorse Trump.
    Again, I am just using the OP's logic.

You can be critical of a person and still praise him for doing good things. 97% negative coverage is in no way justified. "A good act does not wash out a bad. Nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward"

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Again, I am just using the OP's logic.
    \

Not really, the comparison to having "must run pro trump segments" would be "must run pro democrat" segments, not negative coverage of trump. Even conservative news outlets criticize trump because he does idiotic stuff so frequently, even though they probably don't disagree with what he's doing.
    Last edited by empr guy; August 20, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Boy what a surprise. A family owned private company (yes a publicly traded company) wants to enforce their version of family values via the family assets. This thread is about nothing. Can we just call this the Seinfeld thread? Is this somehow different because the company is based in Irving Texas (conservative) versus New York City (liberal)?

Also, if you have looked at the stations, many of these do not even have local news programming. They are a bunch of lower transmission signals carrying channels such as GetTV. Let us not mix up 'largest' or large number of stations with simply identifying stations with local news programming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ision_stations

Let us also not confuse private companies with public policy and government policy. The Sinclair group stations can be watched or ignored. This is no more a crisis in the 21st century than any other media concentration. I do not particularly read or watch a large number of outlets, but I am perfectly able to be selective.

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    Not really, the comparison to having "must run pro trump segments" would be "must run pro democrat" segments, not negative coverage of trump. Even conservative news outlets criticize trump because he does idiotic stuff so frequently, even though they probably don't disagree with what he's doing.
    Having a must run pro trump segment does not mean that you can't criticise him once that segment is done with.
    The mainstream media does not need a must run anti trump segment, because that's basically what these news outlets have become regardless, whether told to or not.

I know that conservatives criticise him too. That's basically what I said. You can criticise a person you support when he does something wrong, and you can praise a person you oppose when he does something good. 97% negative is unjustifiable.

Praeses

It is concerning if pre-packaged political rants are put forward as news. If there's evidence of this in any network that's a worry. Its well known FOX is rabidly pro Republican, and most especially Tea Party, and other networks are known to have a more or less liberal Democrat bias.

Media monopolies are also a concern. If one family has acquired a significant chunk of TV airtime, and is evading media ownership laws, that is newsworthy.

Trump is a special case as he did go out of his way during and after the election to antagonise both media figures and media owners. If he gets negative press its because he has literally asked for it.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

and still he has certain media kissing his ass. he isnt a special case, he just likes to portray himself as such. not all media is fake news to him.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    and still he has certain media kissing his ass. he isnt a special case, he just likes to portray himself as such. not all media is fake news to him.
    Not in what is considered mainstream media he doesn't.

Having a must run pro trump segment does not mean that you can't criticise him once that segment is done with.
    It still inserts pro trump news into the broadcast even if there wouldn't have been any, it's propaganda.

97% negative is unjustifiable.
    Why? What if what he's doing is 97% negative? I don't think you realize how little he's actually done besides throw tantrums on twitter.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by Telamon View Post
    Source?

Sinclair is the largest television operator by total coverage, it is not 'some'.
    Of the big 6 tv companies:
    Comcast (NBC): heavy liberal bias
    Newscorp (FOX): cuckservative republican
    Disney (ABC): liberal bias
    Viacom: heavy liberal bias
    Time Warner (CNN): liberal lying media
    CBS: liberal bias

And those are the infamous 90% of US tv media.

Should we touch newspapers as well?

It still inserts pro trump news into the broadcast even if there wouldn't have been any, it's propaganda.

Why? What if what he's doing is 97% negative? I don't think you realize how little he's actually done besides throw tantrums on twitter.
    The economy is doing very well. That alone should net you more than 3% positivity.

Propaganda is committed by a state, not by a private company.

Praeses

The economy is doing very well. That alone should net you more than 3% positivity.
    Trump fixed the recession, wall street and NAFTA in less than a year? Rubbish, the US economy is in deep trouble, and the effects of printing money and handing it to the bankers who broke the system will be playing out for decades.

Propaganda is committed by a state, not by a private company.
    Nonsense, propaganda is defined by the OED as The systematic dissemination of information, esp. in a biased or misleading way, in order to promote a political cause or point of view. Also: information disseminated in this way; the means or media by which such ideas are disseminated. It is no way limited to state mis/information, and term is actually derived from a Catholic Church organisation.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

And the problem is what? So it is propaganda. I would point out that all media presentations are some form of propaganda whether they be editorial, or simply newsroom editor decisions on what to present and how to edit the material. Can you be more specific in what is wrong with this particular bit of propaganda?
    Or is your complaint that a higher authority above the local station in the ownership chain is submitting this material to be carried? We all report to higher levels of command -- even the newsman presenter in the local news broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Trump fixed the recession, wall street and NAFTA in less than a year? Rubbish, the US economy is in deep trouble, and the effects of printing money and handing it to the bankers who broke the system will be playing out for decades.
    Did I say he completely fixed all of the problems? No, I don't believe I did.

Nonsense, propaganda is defined by the OED as The systematic dissemination of information, esp. in a biased or misleading way, in order to promote a political cause or point of view. Also: information disseminated in this way; the means or media by which such ideas are disseminated. It is no way limited to state mis/information, and term is actually derived from a Catholic Church organisation.
    It appears that you are indeed correct, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    And the problem is what? So it is propaganda. I would point out that all media presentations are some form of propaganda whether they be editorial, or simply newsroom editor decisions on what to present and how to edit the material. Can you be more specific in what is wrong with this particular bit of propaganda?
    Or is your complaint that a higher authority above the local station in the ownership chain is submitting this material to be carried? We all report to higher levels of command -- even the newsman presenter in the local news broadcast.

Total BS, media isn't automatically propaganda.

Trump has only ever harmed the economy and every time reporters desperate to say nice things praise him for being able to read he starts defending neonazis. Hard to believe but yes the state of American politics is actually that dumb.

Praeses

Did I say he completely fixed all of the problems? No, I don't believe I did.
    Fair enough, mistook your point. Presidents often get the kudos/blame for the economy in the term when it often depends of actions taken in previous presidencies.Not sure if we are seeing too much of Trumps actions taking effect yet, is consumer confidence up?

It appears that you are indeed correct, my mistake.
    Mate I'm here to learn too, love it when I get corrected.

Trump has only ever harmed the economy and every time reporters desperate to say nice things praise him for being able to read he starts defending neonazis. Hard to believe but yes the state of American politics is actually that dumb.
    This is really not that hard to understand. Condemning both sides does not somehow equal defending one of them. Both sides were bad and both deserved condemnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Fair enough, mistook your point. Presidents often get the kudos/blame for the economy in the term when it often depends of actions taken in previous presidencies.Not sure if we are seeing too much of Trumps actions taking effect yet, is consumer confidence up?
    Consumer confidence is the highest it has been for over a decade now according to Bloomberg.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast