Thread: New Faction: The Sisters Of Sigmar (Several Mordheim factions combined into one)

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Default New Faction: The Sisters Of Sigmar (Several Mordheim factions combined into one)

The Sisters of Sigmar
    A semilore friendly faction mod that aims to bring a combined
    Mordheim themed faction into Total War: Warhammer

The last five months or so I have been working on a faction mod for Warhammer Total War, I thought it be a challange since I began modding this year, but I now feel ready to start rolling out my results in the hopes of recruiting more people to assist me in this project.

Everything here is a work in progress, and all is subject to change! If you see anything that is against the lore or grammer, remember, this is a work in progress.

History and Background

The Sisters of Sigmar was a religious cult situated in the River Stir, smack next to the doomed city of Mordheim. As the Twin tailed comet plowed into the city's streets; the sisters hid away in their keep, thanks to premonitions from their now passed on High Matriarch Cassandora. As Mordheim was infected by the corrupting touch of Warpstone; the sisters swore to clease the city from all evil. The brutal and unothodox High Matriarch Bertha Bestraufrung lead the sisters in their clashes against the many beasts and theives looking to steal the corrupting material for their own ends.
    The sisterhood had always had many enemies, especially since they had a stake in the ongoing conflict between the three Emperors. Heresy the witch hunters cried; the Sisterhood had deliberalty brought the comet, how else were they not killed with the rest of the citizens; they must be cultists of chaos! It didn't take long before the sisterhood was declared heresy. When the last ruins of Mordheim were burned down to it's very foundation; the sisterhood disappeared. Were they burned with the ruins or did they hide? Nobody knew until now...

In the year of Karl Franz coronation a troubled young woman thought herself to have been spoken to by Sigmar. In the blistering flames of her most dreaded nightmares, their hellish fumes a constant reminder of her past filled with death, destruction and doom; as their tormet consumed her mind, she finally came to understand the purpose of it. Sigmar had sent the Norscans, the murder of her father, the treachery of her brother and the rape of her mother all had a purpose; it was Sigmar setting her apart; she had been chosen to rekindle the flames of the Sisters of Sigmar and lead them in a crusade to either cleanse their name or exert vengece upon those who once had betrayed them.

The Sisters of Sigmar is a faction sporting an interesting mix of units, the bulk of them being refugees fleeing from the many norsca raids and the inevitable tide of the Everchosen.

Army List: (obsolete, look at previews for new info)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lords:
    Gothilde von Teufelmacher

Matriarch WIP
    Mercenary Captain WIP

Heroes:
    Sister Superior WIP
    Ostlander Captain WIP
    Kislevity Boyar WIP

Melee Infantry:
    Sisters Regularis WIP

Sisters Novicae WIP
    Ostlander Elders WIP

Bull Warriors WIP

Gospodar Militia WIP
    Droyaska WIP
    Mercenary Champions (Dismounted)

Ranged Infantry:
    Shadow Huntsmen WIP
    Strelzy WIP
    Mercenary Marksmen (Longrifles) WIP

Melee Cavalry:
    Bull Warriors

Mercenary Champions

Ranged Cavalry:
    Road Wardens WIP

Kislevite Warwagons WIP

Potential units:
    Mercenary Swordsmen
    Mercenary Ogres
    Mercenary ogre LL
    Sisters Augurs (Dual Weilding/Great Weapon)
    Ostlander Ruffians (Spears/Swords or Axe/Blunderbuss)
    Kislevite Druzhina Horse Archers (a unloreful take on a unit that would be unique heavy melee/ranged cavalry unit)
    Siege engines such as catapults and various versions of cannons

Diverse mix of ideas and experiments that might make it in in some form or will be discarded.

Previews

Sisters Regularis 25/10-17
    With the release of Warhammer II, new animations and rigid.models have been provided that allow us to futher explore he modding potatial of the game series. Because of this influx of material, alot of textures will be re-done. Additionally, the army list will be expanded upon so that it can include the plurality of unit types and potential army builds that is common place for vanilla factions. In this our first preview, you will you see the now finally finished models for the high quality rank-and-file type unit for the Sisters of Sigmar called Sisters Regularis. Within the order, they are young nuns who have managed their years as novitiates and earned the symbol of their office, a gold engravened Sigmaraite Hammer blessed by the High Matriarch herself. The Sisters Regularis come in three types, Sisters Regularis, Sisters Regularis (Shields) and Sisters Regularis (Dual Hammers). Enjoy!

Zealots 2/01-18
    So much time has gone since my last update, and during that time I have been busy. Though I am not ready to present it at this time, and overhaul of the unit list has been written. I think I have been able to reduce the overall numer of potential units and give them and the faction more of a focus and narrative. In Mordheim, the zealot is the most basic level henchman available to Witch-hunter warbands. Despite their lore based attachement to the Witch-hunters, that shouldn't really stop them from trying to seek the remission of sin in other factions claiming the saction of God. The zealots fill the role of basic infantry units. Though their stats are somewhat comparable to imperial counterparts, they are effectivly a semi-hybrid of Imperial state troops and flaggellents. This will include higher attack, higher charge and lower armour and defence. Zealots come in three types; spears, swords and finally bows. Enjoy.

Woodsmen and Roadwarden draftees 3/01-18
    So shortly after yesterday's preview, we present you an additional one. In this preview, we will present three second tier units, two of them relativly unique for human factions.

Felling timber in the great forests of the old world, woodsmen live normally a meek existance in the service of a noble. However, these are interesting times. With a storm of chaos bruding in the north and ever frequent Norscan raids, commoners are divorced from their familiar life and thrown into the ranks of war. Woodsmen are draftees, men who have been forcefully incorporated into the army, their only equipment and training being the instruments of their trade. Although a woodsman's skills of war can't rival that of the professional soldier, many years of toil with a heavy axe has gifted him a powerful swing with a heavy axe and an intricate instict for ambush. On the field of battle, the woodsmen will serve as a lightly armoured shock infantry unit with high attack low defence and high weapon damage with armour piercing. Add ambush focused attributes and you have a unit very different from from what other human factions currently offer. The woodsman is a lore based unit originating from Warhammer roleplay.

Taking another unit from Warhammer roleplay which once upon a time even had a miniture, the roadwarden patrols the many treacherous roads of the old world. Giften with the permit to walk on land not open to commoners and the license to dispense justice and punishment on the spot, the roadwardens take upon themselves great privilege and risk; few are long lived. Especially during times as this, their ever thinning ranks are stretched beyond measure, and they are forced to fill them with typically unsaviory characters. The roadwarden draftees are men forced into their role, more often than not, filled by the wardens' arch enemy, the highwaymen; one can't vouch for their work, but atleast the roads are patrolled in one form or another. The roadwarden draftees are fast lightly armoured cavalry, fit for the role of support. They come in two types, melee armed with sword and shield and ranged armed with a crossbow. The animation used for the mounted crossbow is the grenade lancher armed outrider animation. This means that though the effect is alot lesser than that or the repeater rifle variaty, the crossbow shots will be coupled with muzzle flashes and puffs of smoke. However, if one can forgive this slight inconsistancy, then the unit will hopefully prove to be a refreshing addition to the Warhammer roster.
    Enjoy!

Sisters Superior 6/01-18

Being the cheif lieutenants of within the Sisterhood's order, the Sister Superior guards the purity an fervour of the order's members. Functioning not only as an example and teacher to her sisters, the Sister Superior will face any threat to the order's cohesion with the fury and anamocity worthy of any servent of Sigmar; heretics, mutants or the sworn enemies of the order, they must all be aware. The Sister Superior a hero unit sith stats and usage comparable to the imperial warrior priest. However, the Superior's battle prayers will be of, well, superior quality because of the factions complete lack of magic. The sister superior offers three different variants which all will be displayed in the preview, coupled by the three different mounting options provided. Enjoy.

Wooden Mortars 6/01-18

Ending this spurt of previews, we will publish and announce our first artillery piece. But, first we will have a little discussion on lore. Because, though wooden cannons have never found a place in Warhammer lore, they have had a place in our own history. Between the various cultures that have made use of them, their common denominator has been their role as a military underdog, i.e it is possible to make cannons out of wood, but you will only do so if you lack the metal to build cannons out of bronze or iron. With this is mind, it seems only fitting that if the more sactioned materials are not of available, then a faction with such a high number of units that could be described as "rag-tag" would turn to alternative materials in cannon production. Therefore, even though wooden cannons never have had a lore based pressence in the game, I can't find a lore based reason why nobody wouldn't or couldn't make them.
    The wooden mortar is a simple artillery piece which will bolster the army list's anti-large capability. Instead of cannonballs or explosive shells, the mortar is loaded with a very old type of ammunition found in our own history. When England and France adopted gunpowder, their first artillery pieces called pot-de-fer -latin for Iron Vase- shot garrots or bolts. Infact, the illustration provided in the wikipedia article linked shots such a garrot. To make up the ineffectivness of a garrot being shot in a high arc, the payload has been increased from one garrot per salvo to three. This will allow the salvo to impact more ground and increase it's chance of hitting. Enjoy.

Mercenary fluff and Hedge Knights 18/01-18

Interrupting the small pause of previews, we will start revealing a few of the mercenary units that will be available to the faction. In this first mercenary preview, we will reveal to you three variations of hedge knights, that is independent knights without land or title. The knights come in one mounted form and the two others dismounted. The first is a traditional lance and barding. The second wields a great axe, and the third a thick wooden shield and a long spear. Enjoy.

An introduction to the mercenary fluff

Though bringing skill and ability that superscedes of the units moslty previwed thus far, their concern is not for monarchs nor ideologies, but themselves. Therefore, their weakness will be their morale, which will be represented not by a simple morale nerf but rather various hexes and augments that will dynamically affect their combat behavior based upon their chances of winning and morale.
    Instead of having generic mercenaries, we decided to make them a part of the old world's history and fluff. Please note, though mercenaries have their place in the Old World through Mordheim and the Town Crier (a magazine like the White Dwarf but about Mordheim specifically), this specific mercenary band and their history as it connects to lore-based events is not lore-true.

In the year 1707, the Greenskin warboss Gorbad Ironclaw lead a Waaagh! against the city Pfieldorf, then Capital for the Imperial province Solland. The raid lead the the collapse of the provicne and its subsequent incorporation into Wissenland. During Gorbad's Waaagh! there were those who created local para-military groups to prtect those the Imperial army couldn't not. Followng the province's collapse, many of these para-military groups disbanded, others - having lost everything in the Greenskin raids - left their old lives behind them and took up the sword as a trade. One of these groups were known as the Red Hand of Retribution, or simply The Red Hand. Though it has been almost 700 years since Solland's collapse, the Red Hand is still an active mercenary band, and they are proud of this fact. Indeed, they make it their business that people know their proud origins, often painting their shields with Solland heraldry, some have even taken to calling them The Red Hand of Solland.

Though The Red Hand is mercenary band rich in history and pride, there are employers who try to avoid them. There are rumours that their true purpose is to force the partition of Wissenland so that Solland can once more be reborn.

Preview

If you have any question, ideas or remarks don't hesistate to contact me via DM or steam (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026974752/).
    Last edited by Matmannen; January 18, 2018 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: New Faction: The Sisters Of Sigmar (Several Mordheim factions combined into one)

Wow this is really good!!! I am eager to try them out!
    is there an expected release date?

Default Re: New Faction: The Sisters Of Sigmar (Several Mordheim factions combined into one)

Quite an interesting idea, good luck with it!

@neolucifer2000 No, currently there is no planned release date. I can with confidence say that it will not be before Warhammer II release. And, even if I did finish it before the combined map is released; I won't release the mod since than it will most likely be ignored because of Warhammer II hype. Additionally, it's an old world faction, therefore it would make sense to release it when the old world is introduced to Warhammer II.

@PaulH Thank you.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Wow Matmannen, this is amazing work
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

@Sebidee thx!

New Preview Released 25/10-17

Any chance we can get the Sisters Regularis as a stand alone Sisters of Sigmar unit for the Empire? No offense to your work, but I'm really not interested in an ENTIRE faction added, but the work you've done on the sisters looks incredible.

New preview released 2/1/18

New preview released 3/01/18

New preview released 6/01/18

Another preview has been posted 6/1/18 This will be the last for for a bit. But, hopefully for only a week or two.

New preview released 18/01/18

Icon6 Re: New Faction: The Sisters Of Sigmar (Several Mordheim factions combined into one)

Great mod will the sisters be part of the Empire as a culture or will they be separate because they are more of an Empire sub faction then a Nation state or province as they are a Military order within the Empire not to different from the Order of the Silver Hammer ( Witch Hunters) or the Church of Sigmar itself also as a bit a call out to another modder I would recommend speaking to Willemsen the creator of the Knights of Empire mod if you want great looking textures for the Knights of Bull or to make sure that the two mods won't conflict, great mod by the way certainly a mod I will have in all my Campaigns for flavor and variety, also where are they going to start Mordhiem isn't on the map and I am not sure there are tools to edit the map
    Last edited by jedi7000nathan; January 20, 2018 at 06:55 PM.
    Supreme Commander of the Galactic Federation, Emperor of the Virtupets Empire, Star King
    Certified Genius
    M L I G: Mandy Luxe is the Greatest
    Erasiel Darkar is OP! Never will be nerfed! He is Winx

Quote Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan View Post
    Great mod will the sisters be part of the Empire as a culture or will they be separate because they are more of an Empire sub faction then a Nation state or province as they are a Military order within the Empire not to different from the Order of the Silver Hammer ( Witch Hunters) or the Church of Sigmar itself also as a bit a call out to another modder I would recommend speaking to Willemsen the creator of the Knights of Empire mod if you want great looking textures for the Knights of Bull or to make sure that the two mods won't conflict, great mod by the way certainly a mod I will have in all my Campaigns for flavor and variety, also where are they going to start Mordhiem isn't on the map and I am not sure there are tools to edit the map
    The current plan is to complete the unit list, heroes and ords to such an extend that the mod can be released as a costum bttle faction. The following step will be to get them onto the campaign map. My first plan was to have them begin somewhere is Ostland, therefore all the ostland themed units. However, I have since cut all of them out because of the narratie implications they would bring. See, the original plan was for the faction to hae a redemption/revenge themed faction where you would either clear the sisterhoods name by stopping the wace of chaos or claim revenge for what the Order of the Silver hammer and the Church of Sigmar did to the Sisterdood during the reign of the three emperors and Magnus the Pious reign.
    The problme is that if the faction was to begin in Ostland, then they woul be so close to both Chaos and the Empire that the campaign would become rather dull. So basically, they'll begin somewhere between the Southlands and the Old World as an expeditionary force that will then have to travel north to finihs the campaign. In order to avoid conflicts by taking settlements from other factions, they'll begin as a Horde but will have the ability to settle. Or, if there is some backwater settlement somewhere, they can also have that and be given a King and the warlord style campaign.

Anyhow, you mentioned Wihelmsen, I crave assistance with the mod. It is only I working on it, and these textures I am making (the ones in the previews and not the old obsolete thread) can sometimes take up to a whole week to make. Not to mention balance, unit invention and meta gaming which is eve´n more difficult.

If you are inclined to help or know somebody who is, it would be vey much appreciated.

So are they an Empire faction or not I want to know just in case I can confederate them, they would be an useful ally to have against Chaos doom-stacks lead by Grimgor's punching bag Archaon as well as their chariot spam, Norscan allies, though I'll bet Norsca will be properly implamented before you are done but they will still be as much or more of a headache if they are patched, because I have seen the destruction AI Norsca in Warhammer 1 post Norsca DLC they are just as bad or worse then before it is also a nightmare for a Mixu's LL mod player to get Nordland and Ostland confederated before they are destroyed by the doomstacks from the Sea of Claws
    Supreme Commander of the Galactic Federation, Emperor of the Virtupets Empire, Star King
    Certified Genius
    M L I G: Mandy Luxe is the Greatest
    Erasiel Darkar is OP! Never will be nerfed! He is Winx

Quote Originally Posted by jedi7000nathan View Post
    So are they an Empire faction or not I want to know just in case I can confederate them, they would be an useful ally to have against Chaos doom-stacks lead by Grimgor's punching bag Archaon as well as their chariot spam, Norscan allies, though I'll bet Norsca will be properly implamented before you are done but they will still be as much or more of a headache if they are patched, because I have seen the destruction AI Norsca in Warhammer 1 post Norsca DLC they are just as bad or worse then before it is also a nightmare for a Mixu's LL mod player to get Nordland and Ostland confederated before they are destroyed by the doomstacks from the Sea of Claws
    Even though the faction currently has Imperial culture, I see no reason why they should be able to confederate with the Empire. After all, they are a mere religious cult and it make no sense for the Empire to stop being an Empire and instead become a huge religious hierarchy. Additionally, the sisterhood would never allow themselves to be overtaken by the Empire when it was the Empire that caused the blackening of the Sisterhods name. No such unification would atleast be possible until they had cleared their name.