Thread: Hoplite animations

Default Hoplite animations

This project aims to fix the hoplite animations, giving them a proper aspis grip and an overarm position for the spear.

There are dozens of animations to edit or rebuild, so this is not a simple task.
    My intent is to use this thread as a shared workshop.

These are my actual achievements:
    - all the standing idle animations (from "sps_stand_idle_1" to "sps_stand_idle_11", plus "sps_stand");
    - the "sps_combat_ready" stance, along with "sps_combat_ready_idle_001";
    - A very basic attack fragment called "atk1" which can be used as brick for a complete animation.
    FBX with the animations: Attachment 347762

atk1:

I ran into several problems while testing this stuff. In particular, some animation seems to work using data from other animations. For instance, the "...sync_atk_00X" uses only arms, shoulders and back data, but head, legs and hips come from somewhere else. As a matter of fact, in the FBX I'm providing there is also an "atk1_movement" animation, which was the original one. But in game it's only partially shown, and the result is very similar to "atk1", with no legs or hips movement.

What this project actually need is a clear idea on how animations work and what they do, and possibly a contribution from whoever wants to have fun with some set of animations.
    Last edited by Solitudo; August 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM.

Default Re: Hoplite animations

OMG amazing bro !!! my dream coming true !

Fantastic mate!!

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Me thinks the Rise of Mordor team are the best people to ask, as they plan on getting completely new animations into the game.
    Great work though!
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Long time without news Is there any progress so far on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Long time without news Is there any progress so far on this?
    Yeah hope this is still being worked on...

I think the whole overhead aspis grip thrust thing is just an archeological trend based on misconceptions. It makes no real sense to fight like this all the time and I assume that hoplites not fought like this very often. It maybe was a special technique in the repertoire of a trained soldier but not the primary way of fighting. On the other hand it would make sense to fight like this to retain overlapping shield formation but I am still sceptical...Thrusting with a spear overhead in that grip is not powerfull and costs a lot more energy. It aims at the head which is the best protected part of an hoplite armorwise. Covering your attack with your shield, distracting the oppponent, waiting for the gap and going for the legs or mid section makes much more sense to me. So I would mix just a few aspis grip animations within the standard grip ones. Aspis grip for everyone seems unrealistic.

sry I just realised that aspis is another word for hoplon... Thought the term aspis grip meant the special overhead thrust technique... so everytime I used this term I meant overhead thrust

Don't let this die Solitudo !