Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.5 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.2 [11.02.2018]

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [26.8.2017]

the papal states is a special kind of faction called papal_faction and has its own unique mechanics which were recycled in the Baltic campaign to represent the emperor.
    this made sense as most of Frankia were outside the map.
    there is a small campaign-script that sends the character "Pope1" of-map and freezes the AI to make the faction static and merely use the mechanics.

making this faction active would have undesirable effects, so would simply deleting it from descr_strat as it is called by the script with reference to this named character.
    if i remember correctly there is also a script that give HRE excellent relation with the papal state, ensuring that he will accept a request for crusade.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [26.8.2017]

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    the papal states is a special kind of faction called papal_faction and has its own unique mechanics which were recycled in the Baltic campaign to represent the emperor.
    this made sense as most of Frankia were outside the map.
    there is a small campaign-script that sends the character "Pope1" of-map and freezes the AI to make the faction static and merely use the mechanics.

making this faction active would have undesirable effects, so would simply deleting it from descr_strat as it is called by the script with reference to this named character.
    if i remember correctly there is also a script that give HRE excellent relation with the papal state, ensuring that he will accept a request for crusade.
    Yeah, i know about the Papals of the Baltic Campaign.

I believe the whole campaign script has been removed, and i have only re-implemented one of the economical scripts yet for all factions in the Grand Campaign. So the Pope1-script should most likely not exist in descr_scripts at least.

I did add a new faction in place of the Papals to remove it as a playable faction once more. However, by doing this i actually did replace it's entries with "Ireland" in descr_strat - should that matter as the scripts are removed from descr_scripts? The same CTD exists no matter if it's there or not - but i managed to remove the text about the "Pope call crusade" from the log, as well as other issues seen there. The one remaining thing would be connected to building db level being different than EDB level or something, and another thing connected to the file with custom religious scripts - where i removed the "papal_states" text and made the lines that used to be <Papal_States> into <>. Not sure i used the right symbols here in the post. Anyway, if i removed the text it states "could not find any faction" and if i keep the papal states-text it states "faction missing" as i removed it from descr_strat and sm_factions - but even if it's kept i believe there were issues in the log.

I managed to play a campaign as the Imperium Romanorum in the Grand Campaign, and even though it crashes to desktop once in awhile unlike 3.1, 1.5 and so forth - it is perfectly stable in battles and after battles and CTD:s only happens at ending turns for random turns as the rebels do their turn. And the positive thing is that i played for 46 turns, and even though i must have had maybe six or so crashes during that time, everytime i re-started the mod i could continue. So it's a minor nuisance but nothing game breaking up to turn 46 at least - where i stoped playing. The question would be obviously how to make the rebels not crash that often, as in earlier builds the mod didn't crash at all almost.

But as long as it's possible to re-start and continue and there is NO constant CTD at the same time and place - the mod is pretty playable. But it's not near finished as i still need to replace two rosters, add most of the scripts (that i don't suspect might cause issues, mostly conserning economy), add custom settlements, balance the new armies and re-balance the slavs/balts/Finns/Sami and Franks - plus probably fix issues. It would be great if that CTD could be made less common, but as long as i can start it up and continue i think it's good enough.

Also, i have implemented all the TLK new songs to the Grand Campaign now, fixed some ownerships that were wrong as i played and fixed the wrong music playing for some settlements in Frankish lands. I have added music for Muma, Gwynedd, Northumbria/Wessex and Alba - they all have five regions each plus unique strat-map songs as well. Then the Magyars got the Huns-music from DBM on the strat-map. I am gonna add the battlemusic soon, as i never did in TLK due to the Magyars spawning and owning no lands. In the grand campaign they have at least three regions. And obviously i want the Romans to have their own unique music, was gonna use DBM music that i really like - mostly Rome TW music and new nice tracks. However, i believe it's better to either give them new songs or add a blend of music from DBM and from other places as well. They are currently sharing the Frankish music as placeholder music (works well as it's actually Roman songs from some movies plus real catholic songs, but the catholic songs doesn't fit well - it will be replaced. All the music is cut heavily since february (TLK) and July (WotN 3.1) when i edited all songs in order to not use more than half of the tracks. In 2016 it used the full songs which was too much obviously. DBM-songs are the same as in DBM.

Gonna add the Magyar-region songs, add the Roman songs, improve the Gwynedd songs with Arthurian Total War songs and finally check that all the Viking songs plays in every region held by the Vikings. Then i am possibly going to divide slav/balt and rus songs but that is still just an idea.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 27, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Hi there,

well, you could simply download the submod files and compare them to yours
    with a text-comparing software. In general I have simply deleted all faction
    related entries in all the .txt files. If you should need specific help just send me
    a private message.

Cheers,

Aphain

I have also run into the music bug, and the fix worked perfectly. This is an awesome sub mod, I really love the buildings!! One issue is that as the Gardariki, can I not create ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2bigforyou View Post
    I have also run into the music bug, and the fix worked perfectly. This is an awesome sub mod, I really love the buildings!! One issue is that as the Gardariki, can I not create ships?
    I will have a look into the files - cool that you like the mod so far.

UPDATE:

You were right, they are the only faction currently unable to construct ships - this will be fixed in version 1.7.
    As a little bugfix simply copy the attached files into your WotN/data folder and overwrite all files.

Cheers, Aphain

FILES REMOVED - FIX ALREADY INCLUDED IN NEWEST VERSION
    Last edited by Aphain; January 10, 2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: fix included in newest version

Awesome work, Gutland has had it too easy for too long!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon14 Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [26.8.2017]

Hi Guys,
    thanks for the great mod. I'm enjoying it now and I'll try to help you a bit with bug-spotting (as I usually do, see here)
    Two issues for now:
    - there's something wrong with the description for Inexperienced Milites:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [IMG][/IMG]

- the 2D pic for Caballarri is very, very blurry. Other 2D are ok, but this one...
    [IMG][/IMG]

On the traits:
    - description of the Louis the Pious suggests the Frankish Kingdom was undivided until 843. While formally it might have been true (but what does it mean "formally" at that time?), it would be more precise 840 (death of Louis)

More will follow.
    cheers
    JoC

Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Guys,
    thanks for the great mod. I'm enjoying it now and I'll try to help you a bit with bug-spotting (as I usually do, see here)
    Two issues for now:
    - there's something wrong with the description for Inexperienced Milites:
    [IMG][/IMG]

- the 2D pic for Caballarri is very, very blurry. Other 2D are ok, but this one...
    [IMG][/IMG]

On the traits:
    - description of the Louis the Pious suggests the Frankish Kingdom was undivided until 843. While formally it might have been true (but what does it mean "formally" at that time?), it would be more precise 840 (death of Louis)

More will follow.
    cheers
    JoC

Hi there,

cool that you enjoy the mod so far and thanks for pointing out bugs to me.
    The building description should be easily fixable - I will do this right now.
    Concerning the picture: This is content from the main mod, I will try to provide a higher quality one but I cannot promise anything.
    You are right about the trait but I'm a bit reluctant to change it because it is a hint for the player towards the planned reform event
    which will take place in 843 (just to avoid confusion: as for now it is not part of the mod and will be added in a later version).

Cheers, Aphain

UPDATE:

FILES REMOVED - FIX ALREADY INCLUDED IN NEWEST VERSION
    Last edited by Aphain; January 28, 2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: fix included in newest version

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.1 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [10.01.2018]

Those unit pics are very old and that's why they look blurry. I remade most of the Saxon pics in TLK: WotN but not these.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Hi Aphain & Mr_Nygren,
    thanks for the swift answer!

I would like to repeat: I'm very positively surprised there's such a mod for this period. It plays very well, much better than the ATW - Age of Charlemagne (you may read what's detrimental in this mod in my post here). As I got to read stuff on this period now, I've played your submod - and it was fun for me. Thanks!

As you may have read in the other thread, I find playing with the Franks very easy on
    vh/vh.

This is because:

1. the AI is very non-aggressive: over the first
    40 turns it didn't attack, leaving me with possibilities to conquer neutral villages and to build up the economy. I had to pay upkeep for just 1 army (10+ units) for conquest and dealing with the rebels (they appear frequently what is really good);
    2. the related issue is you're in the corner of the map and you're not threatened by many factions (plus Obrodrites turn to be your allies by the script),
    3. there're a few independent villages around you may easily conquer and rise your faction up to 7 settlements without wars - each provides income of 500-800 what can support your army well,
    4. traits of Charlemagne and Karl are great for city building (-20% building costs, -4squalor etc.) - I've managed to build a Large Town within 20 years and a Town (
    Cruoninga
    ) as well.
    5. religious change progresses very quickly. You build a church, you've got access to priests - and they convert within few years. By 800 whole Saxony is Christian. The other sources of public unrest are really scarce.
    6. buildings are cheap in relation to the units (especially to the mercenaries or cavalry) and you can build your economy very easily.

I don't know what's going to happen in the script after 805 (I'm not going to play as it's too easy for me now), so some of my comments might be erroneous.

The situation in 805 is as follows:

My conclusion is: it's too easy.

I've got some ideas how to change things:
    1) script the Saxonian uprisings as they happen in history (up to 804, and perhaps an additional support from the south from Bavaria?) - ideally there should be additional faction "Saxons", but I don't think there's time to introduce it in this mod (M2TW is 10 years old, after all) - so perhaps large armies of the rebels would be enough - ask the EBII team how to make it aggressive: in that mod there're big rebel stacks in most of the provinces at the beginning and they do siege your cities;
    2) script the war with the Danes early, or simply make relations with them horrible at the beginning - they're the biggest faction, they should go against the Franks (but they go against other weaker factions, at least in my game),
    3) I'm not sure about scripting the Obrodrites alliance - this makes the game more resembling history, but in history it was dictated by circumstances, to given by external factors. I think it should be the result of the play (common enemy: the Danes, some bribes from the Franks to the Obodrites etc), not of
    the the script.
    4) take away the tools of Christianization: give access to an additional priest from the second or third level of the Church building (not from a village!); lower the conversion benefits of the Churches; lower the conversion speeds;
    5) raise the costs of the buildings (I'd perhaps write about it later) -
    it's very easy to build up your economy now (admittedly, the income doesn't raise so much so building many buildings doesn't mean much more money, but still);
    6) increase the devastation loses (in the EBII style) - this will make the rebels armies more painful for you, even if they're passive.

Ok, this for the Franks, I hope it might help.

cheers
    JoC

Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.1 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [10.01.2018]

Hi there,

thanks for the information and your impressions. I will consider all of them,
    however at the moment I'm quite busy and development of the submod is
    thus rather slow. Furthermore I would like to provide a feature-complete version
    first, before investing time in balancing (which is, after all, a quite subjective matter).
    Nonetheless I will provide hotfixes for all "mechanical" bugs - because I myself value
    "stable mods" and will always choose a stable solution over a feature-rich one.

Cheers, Aphain

Hi Aphain,
    I fully agree that the „mechanical” bugs are most irksome and a dev should concentrate on getting rid of them. Stability is the biggest advantage of a mod. I don’t play Europa Barbarorum I (the best mod for the Rome TW) just because I was always afraid if there’d be another CTD after a long battle. Or don’t play Titanium anymore as CTDs are indeed frequent (sadly, there’s so much bounties inside that mods, I’m huge fan of Byg’s Grim Reality).

In this respect I’m amazed with the Wrath of the Norsemen – its fully stable. I didn’t have any CTD in 140 turns of playing. Amazing.

I think my ideas for the Franks are just optional and are just ideas. Simply, the Franks are easy and might be played by a novice player (like, for instance, Rome in the Europa Barbarorum II).

However, I’ve got, however, a slightly different opinion on “balancing (which is, after all, a quite subjective matter)”. I don’t think it’s so subjective. Of course, people have different playstyles and they’re many ways to skin a cat, but there might be obvious un-balances, artificial exploits, always-winning strategies. They should be got rid of, I think.

Until now, I’ve spotted three things in WotN which I’d call obvious exploits. I think they’re WotN-specific, not your submod-specific. I put them here as I’ve got here conversation, Mr_Nygren & al. read all the posts on the forum (I suppose), so there’s not point to switch to another thread.

So : three things that may be employed by a player to abuse the M2TW engine and the WotN mod design:
    1. Hitpoints – you get a lot and you’ve go invincible general
    2. Number of generals – easy way to have automatically-renewable heavy cavalry.
    3. Trade treaties – easy way to get a lot of money out of AI.

Hit points: immortal generals.
    My generals got many traits which add 2, 3 or 5 hit points. They’re very easily obtainable (perhaps as the generals are in the field, I haven’t delved into EDCT) and a general can get them from different traits. As you add the armor and the shield benefits of the bodyguard units the result is: many generals are close to being immortal.
    A player’s exploit is simple: he just sends generals to fight. They charge against heavy spearmen and they survive long fighting. I’ve seen several times my generals surviving the battles alone or with just 1 other guy. And they would kill hundreds of the enemies. Pretty unhistorical as would want to kill (or take prisoner) a general.
    A solution is a non-brainer, of course: just lower the HP bonuses in the EDCT.

Number of generals: heavy cavalry for free (or heavy infantry, if a bodyguard unit is composed of)
    The problem with the hitpoints wouldn’t be so serious if there’d be few generals in the game. However, the M2TW engine offers you a new general if the number of the provinces is higher that the number of generals you’ve got at the moment. In the WotN the provinces give little income but there's plenty of them. So you can get plenty of generals. The brake is on money: their upkeep costs a lot (970 per unit for the Slavic bodyguards). As a general sucks so much money, you simply don’t allow another adoption. The result is: the number is constantly lower so the engine keeps on offering you adoption / marriage every turn. So you send your general into the heat of the battle, he fights to the last men, he kills 400 enemies, and then he dies. And… on the following turn you just agree to adopt a new one. In the gameplay it means that you get a free unit of heavy cavalry. Given how good cavalry is, it means a free best unit free-of-charge anytime you need it. But even if the general doesn’t die - his unit is automatically replenished within 2-3 turns. Again – free cavalry, no building, no recruitment needed.

I’ve used both exploits (hit points + limitless generals) in my game: for 60 turns I didn’t recruit a single unit to be used in battle (only for garrisoning) and something like 10 villages were conquered only with bodyguard cavalry units (as they have no walls you don't need any infantry). So why to have the whole beautiful bunch of units present in the mod if the master strategy is so simple?

A solution to this problem: lower the number of soldiers in a bodyguard unit and lower the costs accordingly. On Huge size: not 50 for the FL, but 20 (what would make a general’s unit consisting of 10 guys, not 25, and lower the costs by multiplying by 2/5). This would also have a side benefit that a player would employ them more often as governors of the settlements – for now a general sitting in a town is just a waste of huge money on his bodyguard (he costs 900 while he can add to the income 20 or 50, really at his best: no sane player would use a general as a governor).

Interestingly - in The Last Kingdom mod the number of bodyguard cavalry is indeed lowered: the base value is 15 riders.

Trade rights’ treaties – easy way to get a lot of money
    This I’m not sure to what extent they may be abused but playing Vendland after conquering a number of provinces (I had perhaps 10-15 villages) I was offered by the AI a lot of money for trade rights. From the Obodrites I got 5000 florins, from the Franks 10000, and from the Prussians 20000. Other factions, admittedly, didn’t offer it, so perhaps it’s just one-time exploit.
    Each time it enabled me to fund many, many buildings (as one costs 600 or 1200). No need raid or strive to squeeze your economy.

Solution: I don’t know but for somebody who does CAI/diplomacy programming it should be doable. I know that EBII adopted a special script to take money out of the AI if it has more than 30000. Apparently, if the AI has more money (and in the WotN it accumulates much more), it has perverse effects on the game. Quintus Sertorius knows the details.

You may also say that’s a matter of the home rules – I do have them, see here, even if not all of them applicable to WotN. However, I think that after testing the balance (what I’m trying to do for you :-) such exploits should be fixed by the mods’ dev. I’ll do it for myself on the hitpoints and the number of bodyguards (it’s just tinkering with EDU and EDCT).

Uff, so much for writing. Now get back to this wonderful mod.

I hope it will help you :-)

Can you tell what features in the “feature-complete version” are you going to implement?
    I understand those:
    "- more events
    - more unique traits, ancillaries and buildings
    - region based recruiting system
    - more historical characters
    - new units?"

Cheers
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 09, 2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Style&grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Aphain & Mr_Nygren,
    thanks for the swift answer!

I would like to repeat: I'm very positively surprised there's such a mod for this period. It plays very well, much better than the ATW - Age of Charlemagne (you may read what's detrimental in this mod in my post here). As I got to read stuff on this period now, I've played your submod - and it was fun for me. Thanks!

As you may have read in the other thread, I find playing with the Franks very easy on
    vh/vh.

This is because:

1. the AI is very non-aggressive: over the first
    40 turns it didn't attack, leaving me with possibilities to conquer neutral villages and to build up the economy. I had to pay upkeep for just 1 army (10+ units) for conquest and dealing with the rebels (they appear frequently what is really good);
    2. the related issue is you're in the corner of the map and you're not threatened by many factions (plus Obrodrites turn to be your allies by the script),
    3. there're a few independent villages around you may easily conquer and rise your faction up to 7 settlements without wars - each provides income of 500-800 what can support your army well,
    4. traits of Charlemagne and Karl are great for city building (-20% building costs, -4squalor etc.) - I've managed to build a Large Town within 20 years and a Town (
    Cruoninga
    ) as well.
    5. religious change progresses very quickly. You build a church, you've got access to priests - and they convert within few years. By 800 whole Saxony is Christian. The other sources of public unrest are really scarce.
    6. buildings are cheap in relation to the units (especially to the mercenaries or cavalry) and you can build your economy very easily.

I don't know what's going to happen in the script after 805 (I'm not going to play as it's too easy for me now), so some of my comments might be erroneous.

The situation in 805 is as follows:

My conclusion is: it's too easy.

I've got some ideas how to change things:
    1) script the Saxonian uprisings as they happen in history (up to 804, and perhaps an additional support from the south from Bavaria?) - ideally there should be additional faction "Saxons", but I don't think there's time to introduce it in this mod (M2TW is 10 years old, after all) - so perhaps large armies of the rebels would be enough - ask the EBII team how to make it aggressive: in that mod there're big rebel stacks in most of the provinces at the beginning and they do siege your cities;
    2) script the war with the Danes early, or simply make relations with them horrible at the beginning - they're the biggest faction, they should go against the Franks (but they go against other weaker factions, at least in my game),
    3) I'm not sure about scripting the Obrodrites alliance - this makes the game more resembling history, but in history it was dictated by circumstances, to given by external factors. I think it should be the result of the play (common enemy: the Danes, some bribes from the Franks to the Obodrites etc), not of
    the the script.
    4) take away the tools of Christianization: give access to an additional priest from the second or third level of the Church building (not from a village!); lower the conversion benefits of the Churches; lower the conversion speeds;
    5) raise the costs of the buildings (I'd perhaps write about it later) -
    it's very easy to build up your economy now (admittedly, the income doesn't raise so much so building many buildings doesn't mean much more money, but still);
    6) increase the devastation loses (in the EBII style) - this will make the rebels armies more painful for you, even if they're passive.

Ok, this for the Franks, I hope it might help.

cheers
    JoC

I suggest you to play the original 3.1 if you want a greater challenge with economy - it's made out so that you as a player Will need to raid to get your economy going. It's way harder based on what i've read about Aphains submod. He made the economy easier.

- About the AI i agree. I Will try to implement a better AI later.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I suggest you to play the original 3.1 if you want a greater challenge with economy - it's made out so that you as a player Will need to raid to get your economy going. It's way harder based on what i've read about Aphains submod. He made the economy easier.

- About the AI i agree. I Will try to implement a better AI later.
    Hi Mr_Nygren, thanks for your answer and for working on this mod!

However, the problems I had described here are not related to the economy.

They come from the other features of the mod:
    - map & settlement system: the vastness of space combined with small (village) initial scale of settlements (this is important for the game engine giving you free cavalry),
    - the diplomatic AI - might be abused as I've described (I guess this is not the Aphain's submod change),
    - the M2TW inherent problem with CAI. It simply doesn't know how to cope with the settlements that are further away than one-turn-move. I've got once a discussion on this topic with the EBII creators: the AI errs at finding his way to a foreign settlement to conquer, it hesitates, it uses just part of the movement points. This s hardcoded so it must be taken into account while designing gameplay, not programming the AI. It might be true that the vanilla WotN plays better in this respect, I haven't checked the differences.

Perhaps the Hitpoints issue stems indeed from the Regnum Francorum submod, but it's exactly what I wanted Aphain to draw his attention to: that introducing of fancy traits can have adverse effects on the gameplay - unless the benefits are well-though-out. Perhaps vanilla WotN3.1:B would do better in this respect, I don't know.

However, I think Aphain made some serious improvements in many other departments so, personally, I'd rather want him to adjust the gameplay, than just reverting to the WotN vanilla.

EDIT:
    Can you tell me one thing: how it is with the religious change? There're two religions in the mod (pagan and Christianity) and factions are pagan at the beginning (but the Franks). Can a player change its religion during the game? (I think the Obodrites religious change is scripted - and this might be the product of Aphain).
    I'm asking about it because there's an (apparent) possibility for the pagan factions to build the churches - if other religious buildings are dismantled.
    Furthermore, if I have a look at the "vanilla" WotN:B 3.1 the'res chains for both churches and Orthodox churches (a bit strange for this time of history...). What' going on with the religion then?
    I don't think you've made any special changes to how the Piety works on spreading religions (as most of the generals have simply 3 Piety)?

EDIT 2:
    I've indeed checked the "vanilla" WotN:B 3.1, as you'd advised. I do see differences, but I don't see things which would make RF submod economy much easier: the prices of the buildings are the same, the number of the buildings has rather been reduced than otherwise.

In the WotN:B 3.1 there're some mistakes (eg. Franks have two church lines), and there're more buildings for some factions. Obviously, the Franks are not so historical like in the RF submod, but there's that fancy pope option.

@Aphain:
    - you've removed the "pope" option and possibility to call a crusade in your submod? Is it because it would be ahistorical (crusades here were invented in 13th century)? What do you think about possiblity of a "crusade" mechanism in terms of "Imperial" intervention in the North? (actually, I think it was devised in such a way).
    - changes to the buildings hurt Slavic factions much. Was it done on purpose?
    - do you have a more full list of you changes, other than the one at the beginning of this thread? (I'm mostly interested in the changes to the non-Frankish factions, as I've spotted big differences in the building trees).

cheers
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 29, 2018 at 06:53 AM.

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.2 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [28.01.2018]

Hi there,

I did remove the crusade mechanic and the papal faction because they led to a huge number of unknown exceptions and thus crashes.
    Furthermore the mechanic was rather useless because the Franks and Obodrites were the only ones who could call a crusade anyway. I do have
    plans for a bunch of scripts which will be more immersive than to call a crusade/imperial intervention.
    About the Slavs: I will have a look, but in general I have decreased the available building tiers for several factions simply because they
    weren't advanced/rich enough to build/sustain something like that or simply did not posses the technology.
    I do not keep a changelog because I'm the only developer and do this for fun. I have developed a lot of submods over the years for my
    own entertainment and this is simply the first one I have released to the public.

Oh, and about the hitpoints: I have decreased the number of hitpoints severely - your generals will still be a lot beefier than in most mods
    because I think that this contributes to gameplay (your general should be used as your best unit after all and not be held back like in nearly
    all total war games and/or mods) and to the general mood - after all we're in the age of legends and sagas.

Cheers, Aphain

UPDATE:

I have decided to make priests not recruitable anymore - instead you will get missionaries from time to time
    which you can then use to try to convert certain settlements.
    Last edited by Aphain; January 29, 2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: missionaries

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.2 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [28.01.2018]

Thanks, Aphain! As you see I really enjoy and appreciate your work, thanks for sharing!

I understand the removal of the crusades, and I think it's a good choice.
    About the Slavs: I think you might be both right and wrong . Right: the Slavs were much less advanced than the other people in 8th century (archeology usually discerns them by their low-quality pottery). However, they were probably not much less advanced than the Scandinavian people outside Denmark or Oslofjord (may also the Malarfjord). Furthermore, the Slavs were very fast to learn new technologies. It was not accidental that they lingered independent in the former GDR till 12th century (and in Poland to these days ). So I'm not sure - I think it's plausible they would have developed those more advanced buildings. And this is good for the gameplay.

Hitpoints - I understand and agree (and I hope to see +3HP, but not +9 )

Priests - you're really hasty! I'm still no sure how to deal with it. There're just 2 religions (plus heretics), right? Perhaps you're right...
    Overall - in this mod the religion matters little. Only on the frontier (expanding Franks), perhaps for the Obodrites. For Vendland just in 3 villages.

JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 29, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Hi there,

I have checked the building options for Vendland and the Rus (Gardariki) and have found that
    they can actually build nearly everything. They are missing the advanced ships of the Scandinavians
    and the high-class buildings of the Frankish capital but apart from that I cannot see anything
    that would be missing? They are even able to build quarries, paved roads and Christian cathedrals
    which I find quite advanced.

Cheers, Aphain

Quote Originally Posted by Aphain View Post
    Hi there,

I did remove the crusade mechanic and the papal faction because they led to a huge number of unknown exceptions and thus crashes.
    I did the same thing in the Grand Campaign, but i still have crashes - it would be really good if you could playtest the version of the grand campaign that i have and see if you can find the reason of why it CTD?

Maybe i have forgotten to remove something that you removed..

As otherwise it will never be stable unless Horsa has a stable version.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.3 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [04.02.2018]

After playing Regnum Francorum i must say most is impressive as for the Frankish Faction - great job!

- However, you have changed things in the descr_strat and/or descr_SM_factions such as ownerships of factions or cultures..

This is not good, because these things dictate what custom settlement shows up in battle..

- Playing as the Francs and attacking a rebel settlement that should use the Frankish unique village, instead it is using vanilla with some roman extra buildings just like the Saxons of TLK:WotN - this is correct for the Saxons but they should not be in use by the Francs in WotN: The Baltic.

As i replaced my original mod i will need to re-download and fix this asap. I am thinking of uploading a WotN Regnum Francorum crediting you on the official site as an alternative download of this mod. But the settlements cannot be wrong.

- You have most likely seen that french settlements had other factions as owners and thought this was wrong - and so you did "correct" this "mistake" by adding the Frankish faction as the owner...

- But in reality every ownership and culture was correct. I had to use other factions as owners to make the custom settlements spawn in just those places, otherwise Francia would build it's settlements everywhere and other factions would get the wrong settlements.

I am gonna change the ownerships back and the cultures so that the correct settlements will spawn in the campaign. Then upload.

- The Havamal

Default Re: [RELEASE] Sub-Mod: Regnum Francorum 1.6.3 for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1 [04.02.2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Aphain View Post
    Hi everyone,

I made this submod for WotN 3.1 which is focused on the Frankish campaign but also changes
    stuff for other factions (I highly recommend to install this for everyone because it fixes a lot of stuff).

Regnum Francorum 1.6.3 (for WotN: The Baltic Release 3.1)

Features:
    - completely overhauled building tree (for all factions)
    - new buildings
    - special buildings in your capital (only settlement which can construct stone walls)
    - removed unused factions
    - cleaned up most files
    - important characters will spawn
    - new events
    - new ancillaries
    - new traits
    - new ships
    - new/updated texts
    - redone family tree
    - new settlement and region names for Frisian and Saxon Regions
    - new character names
    - fixed some bugs and a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes

Planned Features:
    - correction of all spelling/grammar mistakes
    - more cleaning up of the mod files
    - more events
    - reform into East-Francia after 843
    - more unique traits, ancillaries and buildings
    - region based recruiting system
    - more historical characters
    - new units?

Credits:
    - the "1648: Thirty Years of War" mod team for some building pictures

Download:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cw...QSwJZYAlF4Nt0N

Installation: (for Steam and non-Steam users)
    - install WoTN 3.1 from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-of-t...elease-beta-30

- go into your WotN mod folder and delete the "WotNbeta.bat" and "WotNbeta.cfg" files
    - download the submod
    - unzip the folder
    - copy the content into your WotN mod folder
    - if asked, overwrite all files
    - run the "Cleaner.bat" file once (double click)
    - start the mod by running the "WotN.bat" (you can create a shortcut for this file)

Cheers, Aphain
    Oh, you have updated the mod some days ago.. I actually tested the version "regnum_francorum_3" from aug 16 2017 that i downloaded back then but never implemented until now.

- I will download the most recent version and check it out . - I guess the ownership-issue is still an issue though.

Edit:

After reading your changes again i see that you have "removed unused factions" - the problem is many unused factions were in fact used to enable the custom settlements for specific regions only (viking areas has certain settlements which then upgrade into specificly chosen upgraded settlements, Norse regions had mountainous settlements for village and town, Kvenland/Häme use the Albian settlements of TLK:WotN, Francs are using the Frankish Roman settlements and the Slavs do use Norse as well).

- No matter who conquers those areas the settlements would stay the same - in order for the region to have it's distinctive feeling both when it comes to the music as well as the look of the settlements.

- By removing the Unused factions from "all" files you may have destroyed this system in the process.. And this is a reason not to make your version offical. I will look it up though - sucks if that's the case because it's a great improvement in most areas.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; February 07, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

- The Havamal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast