Default Removing a province?

I wanted to remove Valencia (just to test) so I removed it from :

"descr_regions.txt"
    "descr_sounds_music_types.txt"
    "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt"
    "descr_strat.txt"
    "descr_mercenaries.txt"
    "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt"

I also removed the color from the regions map, taking the same color as Toledo, (a neighbouring province) so it should be one big province... and Valencia should disappear....

But the game keeps crashing on me when I hit the "start campaign" button... with this message

"Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

Any idea what I'm missing here?!?

Thanks

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Removing a province?

Did you remove the city and port from the campaign map?
    Did you delete the RWM file?

Outside of that you did everything you needed to (Although I've never deleted anything from the "descr_sounds_music_types.txt" file yet and the game loads OK - I deleted all the existing provinces.

Normally only other file is the win conditions but Valencia isn't mentioned in there.

I also normally take out the HGT but don't think this has any affect as you are using the vanilla map (and it will create errors in the strat file if you remove it due to pixels in the heights TGA being 0,0,0 which the TGA without the HGT file interprets as water not land.

Thx for replying

I removed the city and port, and even recolored the province with the color of toledo, so on the regions map valencia doesn't exist since it's toledo now, one big province.

I always remove the RWM file before starting the game.
    I removed the HGT file a long time ago.
    I even removed the plagues happening at the city's coördinates in "descr_events.txt"
    I even removed the rebel army there...
    Also tried something with the map_features and traderoutes.TGA ...
    so you see I try whatever...

But still the game crashes (with no explanation in the log just "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.") after I select a faction and hit "start".

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

I tryed to edit the name code of a province and got the same result. But adding provinces works.
    Maybe there are something in the pack files?

I noticed the game doesn't even get to creating the .RWM file, it crashes before that.

There is something this game is looking for related to the provinces and doesn't find :hmmm: ...

I'll go try removing the pack files (since they've been extracted anyway) we'll see

Have to find this to start making a map from scratch because if the game keeps searching for unexisting provinces, it's odd...

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderOfTheCrown View Post
    I noticed the game doesn't even get to creating the .RWM file, it crashes before that.

There is something this game is looking for related to the provinces and doesn't find :hmmm: ...

I'll go try removing the pack files (since they've been extracted anyway) we'll see

Have to find this to start making a map from scratch because if the game keeps searching for unexisting provinces, it's odd...

In the campaign_script.txt the camera zooms to Valencia during the introduction when you have advice turned on.

'The nearby rebel town of Valencia will make an ideal first target... '

Until somebody came and filled up the entire province with 20 billion gallons with his PS paint bucket, ofcourse

[tip: if I remove something, I search all other text files (txt but also xml now!) in the data folder for any occurrence elsewhere - just with windows search *.txt *.xml in the top window, your actual search key in the 2nd, and then it will look for that word only in those files]

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

As I said I removed all the provinces at least in the sense that I changed all the files but was still using the original region colour for another named region.

If you aren't even getting the RWM file created please

1) re-check the descr_regions.txt file that there is no refernce to Valencia or colours 187 198 13

2) re-check the map_regions.TGA file to make sure you replaced all pixels of this colour eg mainland Spain and the two islands.

3) Re-check the mercenaries file (although I think this only errors with an RWM file created).

The pack files should have nothing to do with this other than you needed to update the file in the Text folder.

Sorry this may seem obvious but that's normally all that causes the issue. I used the mod folder for storing my amended files. Don't know if you are doing the same?

I rechecked every single file and even unnessecary files until

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    2) re-check the map_regions.TGA file to make sure you replaced all pixels of this colour eg mainland Spain and the two islands.

<me !

Arr damn, sorry to have wasted your time on this guys, it's working now... so far.... .... so far....

Oh well rep for everyone here

I rechecked every single file and even unnessecary files until

<me !

Arr damn, sorry to have wasted your time on this guys, it's working now... so far.... .... so far....

Oh well rep for everyone here
    Argh Islands - I always select the entire colour, and do an edit-fill - gets all pixels of that colour, wherever they are.

Since I havent really removed any provinces yet, could you humour me and check what happens when you start a campaign as spain with advice on, runt the entire intro, and see if it gives trouble, or warnings/errors in the log?

Very curious as to how important those intros are. Thx in advance....
    Last edited by Spurius; December 29, 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurius View Post
    Argh Islands - I always select the entire colour, and do an edit-fill - gets all pixels of that colour, wherever they are.

Since I havent really removed any provinces yet, could you humour me and check what happens when you start a campaign as spain with advice on, runt the entire intro, and see if it gives trouble, or warnings/errors in the log?

Very curious as to how important those intros are. Thx in advance....
    Everything is running fine with intros and advisors... for now...

Thanks

Yep it's funny to see how the camera zooms where Valencia is supposed to be... somehow a little weird tho... ...
    but heh if it works like that...!

I wanted to remove Valencia (just to test) so I removed it from :

"descr_regions.txt"
    "descr_sounds_music_types.txt"
    "descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt"
    "descr_strat.txt"
    "descr_mercenaries.txt"
    "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt"

I also removed the color from the regions map, taking the same color as Toledo, (a neighbouring province) so it should be one big province... and Valencia should disappear....

But the game keeps crashing on me when I hit the "start campaign" button... with this message

"Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

Any idea what I'm missing here?!?

Thanks
    I'm basically having the same problem he did. The only difference being is that I have not opened up the tga files and modified them

Do i need to open the tga files with gimp or something like that and modify to them in order to remove a province? I thought text editing was sufficient

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by dknight237 View Post
    I'm basically having the same problem he did. The only difference being is that I have not opened up the tga files and modified them

Do i need to open the tga files with gimp or something like that and modify to them in order to remove a province? I thought text editing was sufficient
    Yes, you do, including the pixel for the settlement, and one for the port if it has one.