Thread: AdunabAAR!

Default AdunabAAR!

Think of this as a combination AAR/mod guide/preview. It’s an AAR because I’ll be taking you through the campaign step by step, highlighting the emergent narratives that make the Total War series such a damn good time. It’s a mod guide in the sense that I’ll be explaining some of the mod’s innovative mechanics as we go – some of which are unique to our faction of choice, others of which are global. And it’s a preview because we’re gearing up for the 3.3 release of Dominion of Men, which adds some fun surprises to units, recruitment, and more. I’m playing the developer’s build, which is currently a work-in-progress of 3.3.

And as for faction: we’ll see how far we can get with the Kingdom of Adunabar – a big faction with a ton of options (and just as many challenges). Adunabar has long seemed to me one of the more popular factions of the Fourth Age since it was introduced in The New Shadow around a decade ago. In Dominion of Men, with a full map to explore and lots of new mechanical quirks to put through their paces, Adunabar promises one of the most involved campaigns of them all. But because of that, I suspect some players struggle with the faction. Here, I hope to give the ol’ girl the treatment she deserves, and provide some tips for anyone new to the mod – or, if disaster should strike, to at least go down swinging.

Before the campaign

Some basic stuff first. Dominion of Men (DoM) actually contains 3 different “campaigns”: one which provides the starting state and options for all the Mannish factions, another just for the Dwarves, and another just for the Elves. You choose your faction, and then follow the menus to find the relevant campaign.

Next, ensure the settings are correct. It is HIGHLY recommended that you follow the suggestions, and keep the campaign difficulty at Medium, set the battle difficulty to Hard, and keep the unit size at Large.

Medium campaign difficulty helps keep things fairly balanced. The AI will be a bit more reasonable diplomatically, and will not stubbornly hurl hordes of troops at you. Well, there’ll still be hordes, but fewer hordes. Just trust me on this: you’re not a wimp if you choose Medium campaign difficulty. It’s plenty hard.

As for the battles, the mod was designed around Hard difficulty there. This is somewhat less of an issue, so if you prefer the AI to have no bonuses, you could pick Medium (though you’ll have an easier time); or you could indulge your inner masochism and choose Very Hard.

Large unit size is important because as a rule, DoM’s cities feature relatively low population. Huge unit size will drain your cities and alter the dynamic between unit matchups. This is especially an issue for the Elven or Dwarven campaigns, since those factions are intended to be on the wane during the Fourth Age and have very low population growth, but it is also relevant for the Mannish factions. Again, the mod was designed around Large.

With all that set, off we go.

Summer, 356

The mod opens with some descriptive text outlining your faction’s situation and offering a bit of advice. The Kingdom of Adunabar is currently engaged in a civil war over the rule of the Reunited Kingdom of Gondor and Arnor, so clearly the Reunited Kingdom will be our main enemy.

The first thing I do when starting a new campaign is cruise around the map and check my settlements. This takes a while as Adunabar, since we have territory in Mordor as well as eastern Arnor – and even Rivendell itself! This last settlement (a recent capture from the Elves, apparently) is rather unhappy with our rule, however, so I move my capital to Ost-in-Agarlad; with the administrative center of the realm a bit closer, the folk up north are less likely to revolt.

While we’re at it, let’s check finances. Losing over 3,000 per turn! At this point, I know the temptation is to raise taxes and disband troops. But in my view, that is a mistake. Raising taxes will make more money, but it will hurt my king’s Authority and make his governors and generals less loyal, which can ultimately *hurt* my finances (as well as a host of other things, including troop morale and more). And why disband troops when they can give their lives in service of the Kingdom? I’ll need every soldier at this point.

So how to solve the financial problem when you can’t build your way out? Conquest is the only option. For now, as counter-intuitive as it may seem, I set taxes to “Low” everywhere (even the forts).

Next I check out the royal family. The family tree in DoM shows only the immediate family of the current ruler; there are several other cousins and more distant relatives of differing houses. My king, Imrazor, is sitting with a substantial force at Minas Ithil.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Don’t be fooled by the zero Authority; the game takes a full turn before all the stats and traits activate. We’ll come back to his Authority later. In the meantime, we can tell that he is fairly capable, and wholly Cultic. The overwhelming majority of my family members (FMs) are Cultic, in fact, with just 2 exceptions: Hirgon, an elderly governor at Lathron; and Gildor, who will be my main commander in the North.

The Cultic issue is a major one for Adunabar. DoM features several “alignments” (essentially religions, a mechanic introduced in Barbarian Invasion). The Ways of the West are for factions influenced by the Valar or Numenoreans; followers of this alignment include the Reunited Kingdom, Elves, Dwarves, Rohan, and more. The Shadow Cult is for the newly-risen cult devoted to Morgoth; initially it is followed only by Adunabar, but characters of many factions can be converted through random events, and some factions (Rhun, Harad, and Dunland) can steer their entire realm into the ways of the Cult. The Ways of Darkness are followed by Men who turned away from the West or were never subject to its influence; Far Harad and Khand are good examples.

Adunabar is unique, as it is the only faction that can choose between following the Cult OR the Ways of the West. Initially Adunabar is resolutely Cultic, but if I were to tear down more than half of those Cultic temples and replace them with West-aligned buildings, I would see some major changes: no more Orcs or Trolls or Wargs; no more Cultic Mannish units, either. In their place, I would have an entirely different (and entirely human) roster of Adunabar’s finest: Royal Longbowmen, elite macemen, and more, all bearing the bright star of Numenor on their livery.

We’ll see how this all plays out. For now, I’m content to explore the Cultic unit roster and throw hordes of bloodthirsty monsters at the staunch defenders of the West. But who knows? I may end up with lots of Men of the West in my family tree due to random events. If that happens, I may roleplay a revolution. Of course, such a turn to the West wouldn’t necessarily mean the end of the wars – after all, my kingdom is the heir of Numenor, and the rightful inheritor of this corner of Middle-earth!

After scoping out the FMs, I move on to diplomacy and agents. (For some fantastic diplomacy tips, see the guide posted here courtesy of Wambat: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...iplomacy-Guide.) We begin allied with Dunland and Khand, and at war with the rebels (or “independent peoples”), Elves (was it someplace we conquered?), and the Reunited Kingdom. Allies and enemies both go into the calculation for your king’s Authority; you want more of the former and fewer of the latter.

As far as our allies go, Dunland will be reliable if only because they aren’t close enough to betray us. Khand is another story altogether. They begin the campaign also allied with Rhun, and Rhun often pushes into eastern Mordor. When Rhun starts a war with us, Khand will likely drop the alliance – and even if not, Khand is close enough to try expanding into Mordor on its own account. I’ll want to cast about for another likely ally or two, but I don’t expect it’ll be easy. Meanwhile, I send a Rogue (“Assassin” from the vanilla game) east to explore Rhun. I also train a couple of Emissaries: one for the North of the realm, and another for the East.

I have a single Emissary to start, and he’s hanging out in Harondor, a neighboring principality south of Emyn Arnen. Harondor will probably be busy fighting Harad for the early years – good thing, too, since the last thing I need during my invasion of Gondor is an invasion coming up through Ithilien. I don’t know yet if I’ll want to commit myself to an alliance with Harondor, though, since they tend to be the losers in the Harad war, and I don’t have the resources to help them win. For now, I ask for trade rights and 500 mirian. They accept.

Building next. I’m hemorrhaging cash, so I can’t go too crazy here. However, I do want a source of cheap slave warriors and garrisons, so I need Orcs; and of course I’d like to get some Trolls! In DoM, Orcs and beast units are only trainable in the mountain-holds found in Mordor and the Misty Mountains. So I queue up an Orc-pit in Cirith Duath and Beast Trackers in Cirith Gorgor. Finally, I notice that Ost-in-Agarlad lacks a wall. It’s pretty vulnerable to attack by Rhovanion or Rhun eventually, so I start establishing it as a Minor Province to get to the requisite level of development where walls become available. (Note: the building browser is your friend!)

Finally, troop movements. The only way out of our spiraling debt is to use all of those expensive troops to conquer the rich lands of the West. I gather all the troops I can in the North and put them under Gildor’s banner to send them toward Bree.

In the South, I expect to be fighting on at least 2 fronts soon. My heir, Zimrahil, moves east from Lond Nurnen to pick a fight with Rhun. Maybe if I hit them hard enough early enough, they will not grow into a huge threat. And maybe if I attack them – instead of the other way around – Khand will keep our alliance. Zimrahil’s forces are few, so I send some support from the other Nurn settlements.

The greatest clash will be in the vicinity of Minas Anor. I gather as many troops as I can under King Imrazor – including higher-tier soldiers from Barad-Eden and Emyn Arnen – and march west, stopping just short of Osgiliath.

Whew. That first turn is always a long one. Let’s see what the winter brings…

Winter, 356

My garrison at Threeways is approached by an Emissary from Tharbad offering trade rights and map information. I counter with a demand for 500 mirian, and they accept. I don’t expect I can depend on Tharbad for very long, but I think I can at least hold them off at Threeways should they try to push north.

I also get an adoption offer.

Minalcar looks like a decent candidate; he will be the lord of Lond Nurnen. Talented governors will be a valuable commodity given the sheer number of settlements I own and the need to be constantly fighting.

Following the Oath of Eorl, Rohan declares war on me. So far this is just a formality, but we do share a border near Calenhad, so I’ll need to be vigilant.

Now that the first turn has passed, we can see how my king’s Authority is looking.

5 crowns – average. What does this mean, exactly? Well, Authority directly influences how a faction leader is viewed by his subordinates. Every FM has an “Opinion of Liege” trait that varies depending on, well, their opinion of their liege. A king with high Authority will enjoy FMs with a higher Opinion of Liege, but that opinion is also based on other factors, such as the family relationship, personality differences, and lordship status of the FM. Currently, Imrazor has some disloyal lords (notably those who don’t share his Cultic ways), and some more supportive ones (such as his sons). We’ll keep an eye on both Authority and Opinion of Liege as the campaign progresses, since these can have a meaningful impact on how the game plays out. But for now, I’ll point out an excellent reference guide to Authority and Opinion of Liege compiled by The Sloth: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...of-Liege-trait

As for major moves this turn, Imrazor and his host move directly to Minas Anor and find the place relatively undefended. I settle in for a siege. Technically, he could assault, but it’s smarter to wait for the RK to try to relieve the siege than risk throwing lives away against those powerful walls and defenses.

In the North, Gildor bypasses the Watchtower of Amon Sul.

There are some Reunited Kingdom troops garrisoned there, but as a permanent fort, Amon Sul offers few benefits – low income and no recruitment options. Instead, Gildor will move on to Bree, a much richer settlement. Meanwhile, stragglers from Rivendell gather and will march to the Watchtower later.

I hit “End Season”. Sure enough, the RK attacks Imrazor at the walls of Minas Anor. Curiously, they have left behind the greater part of their army.

It ends up a straightforward battle. I set up my ballistas to fire at the most fearsome RK units – the Company of the Guard and Men at Arms. A battle-line of Swords of the Shadow holds, while my cavalry and other infantry flank.

Soon enough, the rival king goes down beneath a charge from Imrazor himself, and the RK army routs. They are cut down fleeing across the plain, and Imrazor the Great Conqueror marches into the White City, choosing to occupy it.

Summer 357

That first battle went well, but the downside is that there are plenty of well-armed and dangerous RK forces at large. A threatening stack moves up from Pelargir and I consider attacking it… but, consisting as it does of Citadel Catapults and more Company of the Guard, I decide it would be better to fight off an assault rather than an open battle.

Imrazor sets about establishing Adunabar’s reign in the city. First step is to destroy buildings that are of no use. This includes military training facilities (since I need to build my own anyway) and any “Dominion” building. Since Minas Anor is a homeland for the RK, they have a “Homeland Dominion” established there. Until I destroy that, I can’t train troops or effectively build my own upgrades. Away it goes, and Imrazor gets to work establishing Provincial Pacification, which will unlock future options.

However, destroying a “Dominion” building has consequences. The rest of the realm, detecting the lack of control in the new province, tends to be a little more uneasy, and the public order penalties remain until you establish your own Dominion. This is most strongly felt in Rivendell, which becomes downright rebellious. I see that by establishing Consultation there, I’ll get a little law bonus – just enough to avert the risk of revolt.

The real benefit of Consultation is that it allows you to establish either a Military, Financial, or Administrative Policy in the province, each of which allows you different construction options. But for now, I’m just looking for a quick loyalty fix.

Further west, Gildor arrives at Bree and lays siege. The Hill-trolls in his army would allow an immediate assault, but I’m not in a rush here – and I’d welcome the chance to eliminate any RK reinforcements that try to break the siege.

At the end of the season, Zimrahil, on his way through rebel-held territory east of Mordor, is attacked by an overeager army.

These ragged hillfolk and disaffected Easterlings are no match for the armed might of Adunabar, and are quickly dispatched – but I was hoping to avoid such conflict, and leave the rebels alive as a deterrent for Khand. With regret, Zimrahil leaves the battlefield and moves further east, into the lands of Rhun.

Winter 357

A marriage offer this time: Anducal is a capable man and will make a fine son-in-law.

His sympathies for the Ways of the West may even prove useful; Imrazor plans to make him lord of Minas Anor and leave the place West-aligned rather than attempt a lengthy and costly conversion.

The Reunited Kingdom army near Minas Anor seems reluctant to attempt a siege. Imrazor waits to make a move.

Summer 358

News from the South: Harondor and Harad are at war. Harondor is the aggressor - good news, since Harad is much the more dangerous foe.

Closer to home, the Reunited Kingdom army has moved away from the vicinity of Minas Anor. Imrazil leaves his new son-in-law in charge of the city and marches south, to the Crossings of Erui. Momentum must be preserved in this war, at least until finances stabilize.

In the East, Imrazor's son and heir Zimrahil finally reaches the first settlement of Rhun. Laying siege, he declares war with these Easterlings - and thankfully, recognizing Adunabar's initiative and power, Khand drops its alliance with Rhun, remaining our ally!

Given Khand's movements toward Mordor, driving this wedge between the Easterling factions is all to the good.

Far to the North, reinforcements from Rivendell arrive to place Weathertop under siege.

Winter 358

The upstart kingdom of Rhovanion has not been idle: they have taken the Brown Lands. Even though Adunabar's economy is not yet stabilized, I queue up a palisade in Ost-in-Agarlad to prevent sudden assault. Elsewhere, Homeland Dominion is begun to be established in Minas Anor; this will bring the great city fully into the fold.

The Reunited Kingdom's army, meanwhile, has lost the will to fight. Imrazor marches south to Pelargir, a wealthy, prominent, and well-developed city. Perhaps here the RK will finally challenge this invasion...

After a cold siege in the wild East, Zimrahil's men assault Adel. Only a handful of warriors defend it, and they are quickly cut down.

The settlement is sacked, earning some 3,000 mirian, but it is too disloyal to hold.

Here I have several options. I could relocate the capital closer to Adel, but that would increase unrest elsewhere, including the already-volatile Rivendell. I could simply abandon Adel, now that it is nearly useless to Rhun, hoping that independent rebels sieze control rather than Rhun itself.

Instead I choose a different option.

By gifting the province to Khand, I deny it to Rhun and potentially draw the two factions into a war. Of course, this involves risk: Khand will grow stronger as a result, and is likely to betray me as soon as they get the opportunity. But Rhun is much the greater threat. Rhun has tremendous room to expand in the north, while Khand is hemmed in by Far Harad and Harad in the south. Rhun's units are generally also more of a threat. We will see if this gift earns some measure of loyalty from our ally... but even if not, it seriously weakens our foe.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Aexodus's Avatar Civis

Default Re: AdunabAAR!

Great write up!Looking forward to the next one mate!
    So much death! What can men do against such reckless hate?

Summer 359

The Orc-pit in Cirith Duath is finally complete. The lesser Orcs available for recruitment are small and weak, but boast large numbers and cheap upkeep costs. 121 Snaga-hunters cost only 30 mirian per turn, and their crude bows give them some use as garrison troops. They are far superior to the Grim Spears I have been using for this purpose; the latter are relatively well armed and expensive, and can serve well in a battle line. I begin recruiting Snaga-hunters and sending them out to replace the spearmen wherever possible.

In the wide lands of Rhun, Zimrahil attacks and scatters a small Easterling force outside Adel. No large enemy forces are seen, but perhaps we will encounter stronger resistance further north. Plans are made to march on Tham, the Easterling capital to the northeast.

Elsewhere, sieges drag on. Ominously, a spy from Tharbad is driven out of Threeways. The rest of the season is quiet.

Winter 359

The cold months witness a flurry of diplomatic activity.

Emissaries from Harad approach agents of Adunabar, offering alliance, trade rights, and map information.

I counter with a demand for 1,000 mirian, and the deal is secured. This alliance will not endear me to Harondor, but it may help raise the prestige (and Authority) of Imrazor.

As Zimrahil marches toward Tham, an Easterling emissary offers peace. Rhun is too poor to offer much in the way of gold for this ceasefire, and they will not submit to be our vassal – so the war will continue. Perhaps we will have peace later, when a few more of their cities have been sacked. But at this stage, I have no interest in allowing them to become a great power.

Another ceasefire offer comes from the Elves. They too are unwilling to part with much mirian, but I accept this truce regardless. I will not be able to prosecute a war against the Elves at least until the Reunited Kingdom is driven out of the North. Until then, I’ll take the opportunity to reduce the number of active enemies I face.

Finally, a spokesman from the Beorning Chiefdom arrives at Lathron to offer trade. We share no borders, however, so trading does us no good yet. Instead, I offer them 980 mirian for their map information. They have expanded south along the Great River, which is encouraging – perhaps they will come into conflict with Rhovanion and keep the latter busy.

This winter also sees another adoption candidate: Hathaldil, a Man of Nurn.

His skill at farming output and knowledge of the Easterlings may be of use if and when a war with Khand erupts. I send him to govern Morduath, at the southeastern edge of the Sea of Nurn.

Outside Bree, Gildor’s siege is disturbed by an attempt at a sally from the trapped soldiers within.

The besieged are handily defeated, shot down by my arrows and smashed apart by my Hill-trolls. Bree is occupied.

Summer 360

With the capture of Bree, the Adunabar economy shows signs of stability at last, predicting a profit for the first time.

Gildor begins the necessary infrastructure (destroying enemy Dominion and military buildings and establishing Provincial Pacification) and presses on to the north-west, leaving only a skeleton garrison at Bree. The only city left to the Reunited Kingdom in the area is Annuminas, capital of the North.

Rebels from Fornost have other ideas, however.

They attack Gildor’s army but are soon put to flight – just as well, since Fornost will likely be the next target after Annuminas falls.

In Rivendell, Indilzar begins establishing an Administrative Policy, which will allow construction of buildings such as libraries and cultural advancements.

It is hoped that this will tamp down some of the rebelliousness of the province, which no doubt still houses disaffected Elven and RK sympathizers.

An emissary from the expanding Kingdom of Rhovanion offers to trade. We agree, for a little gold. I expect war with Rhovanion will come soon enough, unless other wars distract them, but a little trade income will help us to prepare.

Winter 360

Alarming news at the start of this season, as Rohan descends from the West and besieges Calenhad!

Imrazor has few options. His siege of Pelargir has carried on for some time, but despite the arrival of a RK army, no fight seems immanent. He could assault the city and then rush to defend Calenhad – which would leave Pelargir at the mercy of the RK – or he could abandon the siege unfought.

He chooses the latter. As it turns out, the sight of his approaching army is enough to send the Rohirrim back to their huts, but these horse-lords must be dealt with eventually.

In the East, Zimrahil arrives outside Tham and settles in for a siege.

It, like Adel, will be impossible to hold if captured, but it can at least be sacked and looted.

In Eriador, Gildor besieges Annuminas. But Bree is experiencing unrest – perhaps a spy? We have our own agent in the area, and place him in Bree to counter any enemy agents.

But dwarfing the news of Bree’s unrest is news from further south: Threeways is under siege! War with Tharbad has come.

Summer 361

Few forces are in the area to rescue Threeways, and the trapped garrison is likely too weak to hold off an assault. Gildor is occupied with the siege at Annuminas… but there are Cultic troops still besieging Amon Sul. I order them south, lifting the blockade of the watchtower. Leaving those RK soldiers is a risk, but perhaps this force, united with the Threeways garrison, will be enough to push back against Tharbad?

In Gondor, Imrazor turns his attention to a large RK force that is approaching Minas Anor.

There are some doughty warriors here – Men at Arms of Dol Amroth, Blackroot Vale Bowmen – but the truly fearsome RK units are absent. Imrazor takes the opportunity to wipe a large force of his foes off the map, and attacks, in the first large set-piece battle of the war.

The RK forces deploy on a hill past some wooded terrain, which prevents my ballistas from joining the fight. Seeking to deny them the advantage of higher ground, I group my army and maneuver them to the right, as though attempting to outflank. The enemy turns to face us, and in the process allows us to gain the hilltop before fighting begins.

The Dol Amroth riders make a mighty charge, but they are surrounded and cut down. Troops on both sides are tired, but in the end Adunabar’s discipline wins the day and the RK force is demolished.

After the battle, Imrazor moves to besiege Arnach – and Rohan threatens Calenhad once more. The following season, Imrazor moves north yet again, this time with the intent of bringing Rohan to battle.

East of Mordor, Khand begins to stir. A Khandian army besieges the independent settlement of Amrun Megor, and another force moves west, toward the borders of Adunabar. Our alliance holds – for now.

Winter 361

Rhun finally gathers forces to challenge the siege of its capital.

These wildmen are poorly disciplined, however; they attack in several small waves rather than as a united body.

While they are dispatched, the battle is something of a draw: The Easterlings have done damage to Zimrahil’s forces, and the enemy chief manages to escape to Tham. The siege continues.

Another significant battle occurs before the year is out: the forces from the siege of Amon Sul have arrived to drive Tharbad away from its siege of Threeways. The city garrison joins with these forces, and marches up a wooded hill to where Tharbad’s infantry awaits.

On seeing the combined Adunabar army crest the ridge, Tharbad’s army withdraws. They make good targets for my archers, and I rush some cavalry forward to attack the two enemy family members who led this invasion (Tharbad’s FMs command units of infantry, not riders). These swordsmen may be strong fighters, but they are vulnerable to the shock of Adunabar’s cavalry. The bulk of Tharbad’s army manages to retreat, but their leaders are left dead on the field.

After the battle, we get a Proven Commander notification!

I’ll take it. Agrahil isn’t the most polished captain, but I am in sore need of FMs in the North. He gathers his forces and marches south, to take the fight to these river-lords of Tharbad.

Summer 362

The City-kingdom of Tharbad emerged in the confusion of the early Fourth Age, when Adunabar’s bid for power tore the Dunedanic realm asunder. Located at the crossroads of important trade routes, the rebuilt city of Tharbad boasted a population from several cultures that includes settlers from Rohan, Dunland, Arnor, Gondor, and even the native fisher-folk. The city’s influence grew along the Greyflood, and when war erupted, the leaders of Tharbad declared their independence and neutrality from both the Reunited Kingdom and Adunabar.

But the time for that independence is at an end. Approaching the out-works of the city, Agrahil bypasses the northern fort and lays siege to Tharbad itself.

Perhaps the Merchant-king who rules the city will submit to our overlordship; if not, he and his realm will be destroyed.

In the East, Zimrahil concludes the siege of Tham with an assault. The settlement is manned only by the chieftain and his few bodyguards; the battle is soon over, and Tham laid waste.

Above: Mace-wielding Nurn Guard and Spears of the Shadow cut down Tham's chief.

Rather than abandon the place entirely and allow Rhun’s forces to march back in unopposed, Zimrahil leaves behind a unit of mercenaries. The settlement will still rebel, but it is hoped an independent force will take control rather than the Chiefdom of Rhun. As for Zimrahil’s army, it moves west. With Khand’s movements in east Mordor, we cannot afford to push further north. But on our way back to Nurn, we can strike at one more lightly-held settlement of Rhun. Hopefully that will be enough to hold back the Chiefdom’s power in the region.

Meanwhile King Imrazor manages to bring the Rohirrim to bay at the crossing of the Mering Stream west of Calenhad.

Our ballistas weaken the enemy lines before the infantry marches across the bridge. The two armies come to grips, and the result is a costly victory for Adunabar.

But our wars have brought plunder, and with it the lords of Adunabar begin to build. In Minas Anor, mines to reap the wealth of the mountains. In Bree, Homeland Dominion. In Threeways, Control Posts to allow basic recruitment. Elsewhere I queue up various Charters. These “buildings” grant no benefits by themselves, but they allow further developments to exploit the resources of the provinces in which they are established. A Construction Charter in Barad-eden, for example, will later allow us to build either a Metalsmith Workshop that will increase speed of construction, or a Stonemason Workshop that will reduce construction costs. An Estates and Farmlands Charter in Emyn Arnen will allow us to build wineries to increase that province’s income.

At summer’s end, with Imrazor fighting along the borders of Rohan, the Reunited Kingdom finally makes its move, besieging Minas Anor with a small force.

Though my own forces there are few, I have confidence in the great city’s walls, and choose to wait for the assault rather than send reinforcements.

Winter 362

Imrazor presses west, leaving Minas Anor to its own defenses. He arrives at Aldburg and lays siege. Sacking this settlement may delay further attacks from this quarter.

In the North, the RK seems to have a bit of life yet. A few of their forces, formerly trapped in Amon Sul, have made their way to Threeways and lay siege tentatively. But Agrahil has no time to answer this threat, engaged as he is in the siege of Tharbad. A large army from the City-kingdom has come to relieve its capital.

The battle is the most uncertain that our forces have fought so far. The enemy are disciplined, with enough numbers to overwhelm our line.

Early in the fight, an Orc-band routs; Agrahil throws in cavalry to plug the gap and rally his troops. The riders are key to this victory, and after much fighting they manage to drive off both enemy forces.

Tharbad is ours. Its citizens are cast out and sent in chains to Adunabar’s governors. For his heroic victory, Agrahil is awarded the title High Captain of Foot, granting him a Command bonus. This bonus does not apply on the battlefield itself; it merely ensures that Agrahil will be the chief captain on the field if another FM should be present in the army.

And from the East, more good news: Khand is at war with Rhun! Let the Easterlings fight, and keep them out of our lands!

Summer 363

Zimrahil, the king’s heir, arrives at a small, unwalled Easterling settlement just south of the Sea of Rhun. This is the far western extent of the Chiefdom’s authority; taking this province will help secure our holdings around the Anduin. Zimrahil assaults immediately and takes the city, laying waste and abandoning it before turning south, toward home.

Above: Nurn Guard again play a prominent role.

Later in the year, more good news from this front: Tham has rebelled, to an independent force. Rhun is now confined to the northern and eastern fringes of the map, and should be no problem to me for some time.

The battle for Tharbad now over, Agrahil moves his forces north, to relieve Threeways. He leaves a small garrison in Tharbad. Thankfully the roads in this region allow quick movement of armies – he may need it, should the City-kingdom seek to reclaim its capital.

In Rohan, Imrazor assaults Aldburg. Even inside the walls, the riders of Rohan are formidable opponents.

But Aldburg is soon taken and laid desolate. What to do with it now? I send an Emissary to Dunland in an attempt to gift it to them, but they are reluctant, even with a sum of gold attached to the offer. Imrazor’s army is in no shape to continue the conquest of Rohan – especially not with the RK pushing back in the south. He burns what he can and abandons the city.

With our coffers suddenly full, I look to the future. Barad-eden can train some unique units: Grond’s Men! These are hammer-wielding, mail-clad, fearsome brutes – just the kind of troops I want more of. I begin establishing Barad-eden as a Major Province so I can build the requisite military infrastructure.

The defining moment of the year comes at the end of summer – an assault on Minas Anor.

With such tremendous towers and walls, I confidently place my forces in front of the gate to await the foe. But a spy has opened them, and soon the enemy is upon us; our infantry are slain to a man. The lord of the city retreats to the twisting streets. Over the course of the day, the RK infantry are charged again and again, some fleeing, some regrouping.

The RK captain is slain by a bolt from a tower, and when the day runs to a close, the city remains in our hands. It was a close-run thing, however – I won’t be so careless next time!

Winter 363

Time to check in on our faction leader’s Authority again. Last we checked it was 5. With our recent string of victories and conquests, as well as our financial boost, it has risen to 7.

This makes most of our FMs more loyal – i.e., they earn more money for us when governing, they lead our soldiers better in battle, etc.

Our Emissary in Dunland makes another attempt to give our ally Aldburg. Their initial reluctance is understandable; the province is far from Dunland itself, and will prove difficult for them to hold. This time, we offer more cash: 5,000. Success! Dunland gets a province, and we get a more secure western border. Hopefully they can hold it.

In the North, Agrahil pursues the retreating RK force all the way back to Amon Sul, where he lays siege.

Summer 364

The path south of Minas Anor is clear of foes for now, so Imrazor moves to besiege Arnach. But RK forces lay in wait, and attack at the end of the season. We set up at the top of a long slope, where our ballistas and archers can fire down into the approaching enemy.

With this victory, Arnach is secured for Adunabar. Imrazor chooses to occupy.

Winter 364

There are more RK troops in the area, but Imrazor has no desire to become trapped in Arnach. He removes to the crossing at the river Erui and meets reinforcements from Emyn Arnen. But the RK refuses to take the bait; they lay siege to Arnach.

In the East, as Zimrahil marches out of Rhun, Erebost revolts to another independent army, denying Rhun that settlement too. And news comes of a war between Khand and Far Harad away to the south. More good news, as it will keep Khand even busier!

However, the war between Harad and Harondor has taken an unsettling (but not unexpected) turn: Harad has begun conquering cities in southern Harondor. It will not be long before I have a powerful Empire at my southern border.

Finally, I observe that the Orc-pit in Cirith Gorgor has finished. This allows me not only to train lesser Orcs here, but more importantly to upgrade my Beast-trackers. I establish Troll Caves in the province, and eagerly await the addition of Hill-trolls to my southern armies…

Great AAR! Really inspiring to play again^^
    When can we expect version 3.3?

Probably not for a few weeks at least. Webba is busy currently, and he'll have to do the heavy lifting. My text descriptions are done, but that's extremely low-tech stuff

Glad you guys are enjoying this! Feel free to let me know if you think I should try some different strategies.

Aexodus's Avatar Civis

Is it just you and webba that are working in FATW currently?

Yep!

Great work guys. Thank you for continuing this wonderfull project.

Thanks, Stark1, good to see you

Summer 365

Returning from the sack of 3 Easterling settlements, Zimrahil lays siege to Athrad-morn, on the northeastern fringe of Mordor. This independent town has not yet fallen into Khand’s grip, though they did besiege it briefly.

Taking rebel settlements is always a risky move, as it tends to accelerate the aggressiveness of nearby factions. We’ll take the chance anyway. Khand is currently fighting 2 other wars, against Rhun and Far Harad. If they decide to strike out at us, better to let the conflict begin now while they are distracted.

In Gondor, Imrazor breaks the siege of Arnach. The RK forces in the area are small; he chooses to ignore one force and instead destroys 3 companies of swordsmen who stand athwart the road to Pelargir. He then lays siege once more to the city at the mouth of the Anduin.

But the Reunited Kingdom has not been idle. A large army appears from the western fiefs to contest the siege.

Our infantry is limited, but we outmatch the foe in archery and cavalry. Ballistas soften up the approaching enemy, and cavalry charges carry us to a heroic victory.

Pelargir is finally laid waste. News of this victory spreads through the kingdom, attracting a new retinue member: a Hero of the Dunedain now rides with Imrazor.

Winter 365

Little action occurs this season, apart from some construction in Nurn – a harbor in Morduath, and City Development in Lond Nurnen. The latter will allow specialization of the city ... in a direction I have not yet determined. Perhaps an increased Cultic military presence would be useful; or improved farming techniques to further exploit this fertile region.

In the North, the great city of Annuminas falls with a whimper. The garrison starves out rather than facing a cruel death at the hands of trolls and Cultists.

Annuminas is occupied; its small population will offer little resistance to its new masters.

Summer 366

Lathron, the small settlement just north of the Argonath, begins to establish itself as a Minor Province, the first step toward building walls. With the increased activity of Rhovanion to the north, Lathron feels vulnerable.

In the East, Rhun begins to reassert itself.

The Chiefdom retakes Tham from the rebels, and rejects our offers of peace by asking for humiliating payments. Perhaps they will soften later.

Gildor’s army has spent the better part of a decade outside the walls of Annuminas; they march now to Fornost, the rebel-held city just to the east, and lay siege.

Meanwhile, the Elves send another emissary. Our conquest of Annuminas brings us close enough to open trade with the Firstborn. They agree to pay 1,000 mirian for the privilege, and we accept.

In the South, the RK resurgence continues. Arnach is threatened by a small army, and a larger one approaches Pelargir. I have no wish to abandon Pelargir, but nor do I want to lose Arnach. I begin to train some units in Emyn Arnen to send to the city’s relief.

Winter 366

Rivendell has languished long enough. The memory of the Elves who once lived here is strong, but it is time to establish it as a province fit for Men. I do this by queueing up “Eriador Outlands” in Rivendell. This will make the province part of our Mannish realm by increasing population growth and allowing recruitment of our troops. It is expensive, but necessary – if Tharbad seeks to outflank us and send troops up the Hoarwell, Rivendell must be prepared to stand against them.

Troops in Gondor have been sent to the succor of Arnach. No family member leads the army, only an untried lieutenant.

It is enough, though, and the RK forces are driven away. The victory yields a Proven Commander!

Gorlim is acceptable, and will prove useful in the coming war for Gondor, as the RK is definitely on the move.

Indeed, the season is barely out when the foe springs into action, sending even more troops from the west to blockade Arnach and Pelargir. The king is trapped inside the coastal city.

Better news comes from the North, where the last vestiges of the Reunited Kingdom have finally been destroyed: Amon Sul falls without a fight.

In desperation, rebels gather to drive off Gildor at the siege of Fornost.

While the battle is won, the rebel leader and a few of his brigands make it back to the city; the siege must drag on.
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; August 16, 2017 at 08:26 AM.

Summer 367

Beast-trainers in Cirith Gorgor report the readiness of a new unit...

Our kingdom began the campaign with but a single unit of Trolls in the North, drawn no doubt from wild places in the Ettenmoors. Now these brutes can join with our armies in the South.

Imrazor's Authority, meanwhile, has risen to 9 - no doubt due to the string of victories and conquests. But an army of the Reunited Kingdom has gathered and seeks to contest these recent acquisitions. They lay siege to Pelargir, but the king sallies immediately.

The RK set up in a line of infantry. Once again, Adunabar's cavalry proves decisive, as the riders outflank and charge the melee.

Just to the north, a smaller RK force has attempted a siege of Arnach. Angbor - son-in-law to the lord of Emyn Arnen - rides to the defense, and the garrison reinforces his attack. The enemy are driven off once more.

Winter 367

With the winter season approaching, Zimrahil reassesses the siege of the Athrad-morn rebels. Taking this settlement would mean having to defend all of East Mordor, a broad swath of territory, from Rhun and perhaps Khand. What's more, his men are starving. The great expedition into Rhun has been a success, but his men have been campaigning for years far from home. He decides finally to return to Lond Nurnen, to resupply, heal wounds, and prepare for any coming need.

Summer 368

In the North, the recently-promoted captain Agrahil, following the siege of Amon Sul, moves toward the Greyflood to prosecute the war against Tharbad. He sets his sights of Ridhmallen, a small, unwalled settlement in Western Cardolan.

Only lightly held by militia, Ridhmallen falls quickly to Adunabar's trained soldiery. It is the last settlement of Tharbad north of the river - apart from the Northguard Fort, which will be Agrahil's next target. For now, Ridhmallen's enslaved populace is sent to governed settlements throughout the kingdom.

Later in the year, scouts in western Gondor bring news - large armies of Harad and Harondor have landed along the coast near Dol Amroth!

No doubt this explains the RK's sluggish response to our invasion. It looks as though the farmland outside Dol Amroth has been raided; no doubt several battles have been fought here while my armies swept in from the east. This is all to the good; neither Haradrian faction is a foe to Adunabar, and their presence here will facilitate our expansion further west.

Winter 368

Diplomatic overtures are made to the Chiefdom of Rhun once more. I want an end to the war, if only to avoid the penalty to my king's Authority - but I also want Rhun and Khand to feel free to continue their own feud.

The cost of peace is heavier than I would prefer. I particularly dislike giving map information, but at this point I feel I have little to fear from Rhun, and I can well afford the payment.

The following seasons see few military maneuvers on my part. In the summer of 369, Agrahil sieges the Northguard Fort, just outside Tharbad. That same season, seeing an army of Rhun approach the Khandian settlement of Adel - the town I gifted Khand after taking it several years ago - I send Khand another gift, this time of mirian.

Elsewhere, I build - walls in Lathron, Homeland Dominion in Ridhmallen, Control Posts in Pelargir and Arnach.

By the summer of 370, Fornost's rebel garrison is starved into submission, and the city is ours.

Now freed from pressing matters, Gildor will stay on as Fornost's governor, while the bulk of his army turns south toward Tharbad.

The same year, troubling diplomatic news: Khand and Rhovanion form an alliance. Rhovanion has expanded to include territory from the River Running all the way to the Anduin and the Ash Mountains. We share an under-manned border with them, with the small settlements of Lathron and Ost-in-Agarlad remaining exposed. Should Rhovanion decide to attack, Khand will no doubt seize the opportunity to drop its alliance with us. An attack on Rhovanion would likely convince Khand to remain in our good graces - and yet, opening another military front seems unwise at this point.

Soon after forging its alliance with Khand, Rhovanion launches an attack on the Beorning Chiefdom. Good! Let the wild Northmen fight amongst each other.

We will need the time to focus again on Rohan.

There are few troops in the area to answer this threat. Calenhad itself is undermanned. It falls to Borondir - part of the next generation of nobles coming of age in Emyn Arnen - assemble what few troops he can. He approaches with a small mixed force of Orcs and Men, but north of Minas Anor is halted by a second expedition of Rohan.

This lesser army is small, but led by two family members, each commanding a powerful unit of Riders. Thankfully, while they stand for battle, these Rohirrim withdraw as Borondir's soldiers approach in good order through wooded terrain that would be poor fighting ground for their horses. The besieging army at Calenhad follows suit, and withdraws across the Mering Stream before our forces can come to grips with them. Borondir takes up a position at the bridge. More troops will be mustered here, and perhaps a more permanent invasion of Rohan will follow...

From the East, news of another siege, with less direct impact on our kingdom - but a siege that we should not ignore. Rhun, growing again in strength, has surrounded Adel.

Zimrahil and his army have had time to retrain and resupply. He sets out once more to the eastern lands. Our peace with Rhun is only a few years old, but it may be necessary to break it in order to preserve the balance of power among the Easterlings.

In the summer of 372, the garrison at Northguard Fort starves out, and our forces take the last remnant of Tharbad's power north of the Greyflood.

The time has come to project our power across the river. Fresh with forces from the sieges of the North, Agrahil leads an attack against a few Tharbad Militia who attempt to hold the crossing.

There is little chance for these poorly-trained, poorly-equipped spearmen. Our bowmen shoot them to pieces and our unstoppable infantry - spearheaded by mighty Hill-trolls - serves the final blow.

That one troll is having the time of his life!

With these men swept aside, Agrahil can come to grips with the larger Tharbad army.

They may have numbers, but this army is rather low-tier, mostly made up of half-wild axemen and barely disciplined militia. My archers, deployed at the front, pelt the enemy and goad them into attacking my superior infantry. On the flanks, trolls and cavalry wreak havoc, and soon there is a mass rout. No survivors return to Tharbad's capital-in-exile, Greyholm.

Oh, you say you like trolls?

Soon... soon...

Summer 373

Imrazor decides it is time to press our advantage in the west of Gondor. He drives off a small RK force outside Pelargir, and then moves his army to the next city along the coast: Linhir. The enemy king is trapped here! With ballistas in tow, the assault is immediate.

The gates are no match for Adunabar’s siege engines. But as our soldiers make their way to the city center, they suffer fire from the king’s bodyguard: a unit of White Company.

Trolls and cavalry charge these elite bowmen – soon the enemy king is trod under foot and hoof. The remainder of the garrison suffers a similar fate, and Linhir is ours.

In the North, fresh from his victory against Tharbad, Agrahil moves to the small settlement of Swanfleet. Though it is unwalled, he opts to lay siege and wait for a counterattack or the garrison’s starvation. Adunabar must be wary not to expand too quickly, lest public order across the kingdom suffer.

At the end of the season, a Beorning emissary offers alliance, trade, and map information.

These bear-men might be useful trade partners in the North, and a thorn in the side of the other Northmen factions. We coax a thousand mirian from them and accept the alliance.

Closer to home, there are more signs of a resurgent Rhun. The Chiefdom has taken Athrad-morn, bringing them right up against our eastern border in Mordor.

Winter 373

Nevertheless, Zimrahil and his army must come to the aid of Khand, lest the East fall under a crimson tide. He attacks the Rhun army besieging Adel, and the foe withdraws in the face of our superior arms. Ignoring them for the moment, Zimrahil continues east, with the intent of threatening a settlement that escaped the attention of his earlier expedition: Amrundor.

Summer 374

But events conspire against him. Khand suffers another siege to the south, in Muldin.

With the aid of the Khandian garrison, Zimrahil slaughters the Easterlings and scatters the survivors.

Trapped between Adunabar and Khandian riders, the enemy chief is slain.

Things still look grim. At the end of the season, Adel is besieged again, and so is the Khandian settlement of Amrun Megor right at our border.

At the other end of the realm, Tharbad attempts to relieve the siege of Swanfleet.

But Agrahil’s soldiers command the ford. His archers shoot down the relieving force, then his infantry turns and cuts down the reinforcing garrison. Hill-trolls and cavalry sweep in from the rear and smash the enemy general’s bodyguard.

The victors march into Swanfleet and begin the reordering of this rural province.

Winter 374

As he turns for the north, Zimrahil finds an army of Easterlings blocking his path. He welcomes the opportunity to come to grips with these savages.

Above: slingers out front, infantry just behind, backed by archers and cav.

Above: Enemy axemen attack.

Above: On the left flank, Spears of the Shadow hold off Eastland Raiders.

Above: In the center, Swords of the Shadow take the fight to the enemy chieftain.

Above: Swords of the Shadow hold fast on the right flank. Cut down to a fraction of their former unit size and surrounded, to their great credit they do not break.

Above: The enemy lines finally snap, and vengeful swordsmen hack down the routers.

Zimrahil makes plans for the coming seasons: rescue the beleaguered city of Adel, but perhaps let Amrun Megor fall to Rhun. If it does, we can take it for ourselves, and help close off the entrance to the wealthy Nurn settlements.

Summer 375

Preparations are made and the march north complete. Zimrahil attacks the sieging army at Adel. Again, Rhun’s forces withdraw.

Winter 375

Diplomacy follows. Our emissaries in the south report that Khand has taken losses in their war with Far Harad. We offer a gift of 2,000 mirian to help them stave off their enemies and maintain the balance of power.

Zimrahir moves eastward, once again approaching the borders of Amrundor. Forces of Rhun have gathered here.

Zimrahil offers battle, but after some skirmishing, the enemy withdraws to the settlement, their forces largely intact.

The next season, Zimrahil will finally approach and besiege the town.

Meanwhile, in Gondor, Imrazor continues to press his advantage against the Reunited Kingdom. He installs a governor in Linhir and brings his army to a commanding position atop a hill in the center of Dor-en-Ernil, intending to draw the attack of the RK troops in the region.

For now, however, the enemy sends a small force to besiege Linhir. They are likely not a threat to the settlement, so Imrazor remains in position.

Summer 376

Imrazor’s patience is rewarded; the RK attack from 2 sides.

Our position on the high ground allows the ballistas and archers to decimate the foe as they toil up the slope. Imrazor leads a cavalry charge that kills the enemy captain, and an infantry charge downhill sends the rest running.

The reinforcing enemy army, witnessing the annihilation of their counterparts, withdraws.

Imrazor has won a heroic victory – a fitting capstone for his kingship. He boasts 10 Authority, and has led his kingdom to wealth and great conquest. But he has grown old, and as he gazes out from the windy hill-tops, he wonders whether he will live to see the end of this war.
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; August 18, 2017 at 07:39 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Great AAR, I like how you try to weaken Rhun and support Khand in its struggle against them. Supporting either directly or indirectly the weaker factions against those which have a potential to get two overpowered is what I always do in any total war game/mod when my poistion allows me to do so (in FATW Dale is a perfect faction for this kind of things).

With regard to the preview part of your AAR, beside new amazing looking trolls I have not noticed anything new in the build, or have I just overlooked something? I am really curious about unit roster changes and campaign map changes you have mentioned in another thead.

I love playing the diplomatic game - when it's possible to do so! Surprised how well it's working in the East, to be honest.

There are a couple of other new things that will show up in future installments

Winter 376

Imrazor, feeling old age in his bones, moves down from the hills to lay siege to Tarnost. This provocation is enough for the Reunited Kingdom to halt their own siege of Linhir and attack.

The result is a heroic victory, but survivors manage to retreat to the city. The following season, Imrazor assaults.

Ballistas shatter the city gates, and our soldiers pour in. After a confused melee in the streets, we seize the higher ground and cut down the enemy militia. Tarnost is ours – and with it the famed ancient Elf-haven, Edhellond.

This battle is the old king’s last.

Imrazor dies in the summer of 377 in the heart of a Gondor that he has largely wrested away from his rivals. During his reign, Adunabar has expanded to dominance in Arnor, razed the camps of the Easterlings, and pried loose some of the most renowned cities and strongholds founded by the Men of Numenor.

It falls to his son, Zimrahil, to continue this legacy.

But Zimrahil faces a stubborn Chiefdom of Rhun. These Easterlings have brought an army to the very shores of the Sea of Nurn, and lay siege to Lond Nurnen itself. The garrisons of these seaside towns are small, but they will have to hold out – Zimrahil’s army is many seasons’ march away.

The new king opts for a quick conclusion to the siege of Amrundor, assaulting in the winter of 377.

Above: Swords and Spears of the Shadow push rams to the wooden walls.

Above: Swordsmen, macemen, and axemen rush to the gate and hack through the stiffest resistance of the defenders.

Spears of the Shadow celebrate after clearing the town center.

The town is laid desolate, looted for valuables – and then gifted to Khand, along with 5,000 mirian to help their war efforts. Zimrahil marches west.

Also in 377, Borondir, gathering forces on the Mering Stream crossing west of Calenhad, deems his host strong enough to invade Rohan. He lays siege to Aldburg – this time with intent of keeping it.

In Gondor, the RK move to take advantage of Imrazor’s death. They lay siege to Tarnost, whose garrison has been much reduced by the war.

Summer 378

The Rohirrim have made sudden inroads in Dunland, capturing most of the chiefdom’s strong places. The Dunlendings are driven to the mountain holds or to the sea, and it is likely only a matter of time before they will be eliminated by the horse-lords. Adunabar’s forces in the North are not strong enough to invade Rohan from that direction, but our invasion from the southwest has drawn their attention.

Borondir assaults Aldburg before many more reinforcements can arrive.

Above: Riders of the King's House make formidable opponents - especially for my lower-tier soldiers and Orcs.

Our men (and orcs) take heavy losses, but the city is ours – again. Next turn, however, Rohan lays siege.

On the other end of the kingdom, Rhun assaults Lond Nurnen. Only a handful of soldiers garrisons the city, but its stout stone walls will make it hard going for these fur-wearing wildmen.

I deploy a single unit of Dark Bows on the walls.

They exhaust their arrows and then draw swords, fighting hand-to-hand against the axemen and skirmishers who clamber up the ladder. When a large enemy warband approaches, however, I pull my bowmen back to join the rest of the garrison on the hill at the city center.

The Grim Spears hold admirably, while mighty Axes of the Shadow slam into the enemy flank. They are soon routed. Good to know my faith in these troops was not misplaced!

Summer 379

Zimrahil arrives outside Athrad-morn, northeast of Lond Nurnen, and establishes a siege.

We will make this our eastern outpost and staging ground, to protect the Nurn heartland.

Also in this season, a new commander, Elentirmo, gathers a small army and lays siege to Sarnford, just northwest of Threeways.

Sarnford is independent, so it will be an easy capture, and it will allow us to trade with the Dwarves of the Ered Luin and the Hobbits of the Shire.

Winter 379

This season sees three crucial battles for Adunabar.

First, outside Athrad-morn, Zimrahil dispatches an Easterling army sent to relieve the settlement.

Some interesting terrain allows me to set up my troops in a rocky defile, to avoid being outflanked. My mercenary slingers go to the front, where they can skirmish and harass the lightly-armed foe. When the survivors manage to contact my battle-line, they are cut down by fresh, elite soldiers.

With the destruction of both enemy armies, Athrad-morn is taken and laid waste.

The second battle is much more fraught.

Borondir has become wary of these Rohirrim, and the enemy have brought some well-armed riders to this fight, especially in the reinforcing army. At least the narrow confines of the settlement’s streets will negate some of the foe’s cavalry advantage.

My Snaga-hunters are set on the wall to deal with the enemy reinforcements. If their ram breaks through, we will be attacked from two sides and likely overcome. Fortunately, these lesser Orcs do their work well, shooting down the enemy footmen.

Facing the brunt of the assault are the rest of my archers: Dark Bows in the main, with a single unit of Orc-hunters. These latter are armed with spears as a secondary weapon, and will be of use later in the fight. Once all the arrows have been loosed, many of these archers return to the slope near the city center, but some are caught by the fast-moving enemy cavalry and are obliged to fight (and die) at the walls.

The enemy pours in.

Above: Borondir and a company of Orc-champions await the coming storm...

Our archers have whittled down most of the infantry, but it is the cavalry that we fear the most – these bold warriors on horseback push our lines *up* the hill, though to their credit our mercenary swordsmen (pictured above with red shields) do not break. The orcs in Borondir’s ranks earn their keep, the Orc Champions cleaving man and horse with their axes, and the Orc-hunters spearing riders who make it past our more heavily armed swordsmen. But it is Borondir himself – and a small unit of Horsemen of the Shades – that deal the decisive blow, charging into the fray and unhorsing the enemy captain. Their morale shaken, the Rohirrim turn and flee.

Above: My Orc-hunters will have their pick of horseflesh tonight!

Finally, the recently-captured Tarnost comes under attack by the RK. The enemy have brought some of their more formidable troops: King’s Longbowmen and Men-at-Arms.

But they are obliged to toil uphill to our ranks, under ballista and arrow fire. And when they reach the top of the hill, there are still the trolls to deal with...

Tarnost has been preserved for Adunabar, but the war for Gondor is not yet over. The next push will be toward Dol Amroth, the largest city remaining to the Reunited Kingdom and the greatest threat to our ambitions in the region.

Aexodus's Avatar Civis

Good read yet again Count! + rep
    Last edited by Aexodus; Today at 11:54 AM. Reason: Images working now