Thread: Diplomacy having a laugh

Default Diplomacy having a laugh

Why in the world would this military ally that i had liberated, with a positive relationship of +127 declare war on me? Especially considering they are already at war with two of their neighbors...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U what!.jpg  

Default Re: Diplomacy having a laugh

They see that you are weak and ripe for picking.

Which difficulty are you playing? Do you have any other mods turned on?

If you are playing on Hard than I think this is "normal" because DEI is balanced on normal difficulty, Rome is suggested to play on Hard so that it wont be that too easy.

Playing on normal.
    I could agree with the observation I am weak. Yet doesn't explain my 2 Legions in Sicily, Navy+ 1 Legion in Nrth. Italy, and of course the positive diplomatic modifiers.....

Greek strategos's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by tumbitiger View Post
    Why in the world would this military ally that i had liberated, with a positive relationship of +127 declare war on me? Especially considering they are already at war with two of their neighbors...
    That's a vanilla Rome 2 issue. It's know and sadly we can't do much about it.

Although its been a while. Don't remember it being that nonsensical.

Snowball effect of having 20 wars ongoing: people declare war on you for near no reasons.

Positive relationship is a deterent more than an inability to hostile actions against your self, and the AI decided it wasnt detered enough.
    Also it seems like some factions are almost hardcoded to betray you, especially those with historical reasons, but that may just be an illusion.

Started a game as Rome (Hard campaign difficulty), quickly defeated the Etruscans and took Taras from Epirus to consolidate the Italian peninsula. Sued for peace with Epirus, who accepted, and Syracuse, who had declared war but there had been no military actions from either side. Syracuse accepted the peace agreement.

I spend ~20 turns in peace just teching up and building up my war chest for an eventual aggressive campaign, but suddenly, Syracuse declares war on me again.

The next turn, after doing absolutely nothing, they ask for a peace agreement and offer me 3000 coins for it.

Umm

Quote Originally Posted by tumbitiger View Post
    I had similar situation in vanila WoS - my spartan ally declared war with me. Positive relation +311. Normal difficulty. Perhaps diplomacy works like dice roll in DnD games. It something illogical like that happens, try to reload autosave.

What could help would be to change the relation bonus for having liberated a faction. It should be much more, put it as high as is possible...or at least over 200. That would "deter" them even more.

Its already really high - higher than any other bonus if I remember. We don't want guaranteed allies as explained many times before. You can liberate every single region on the map now, unlike in normal vanilla. So it would be too poweful if it was a guaranteed friend. The use of liberation right now is to create chaos and border regions in areas you don't want to yet conquer.