Thread: Low FPS

Default Low FPS

I don't know what the problem is but, for some reason, the FPS on the world map is completely ruined. I'm getting about 15 FPS whereas on the Main Menu and in battle I'm clocking between 40-50. I have a very good computer, but I also know that RTW is so old that it can't take advantage of the amazing graphics card and multi-core processor, after a point but I've seen Let's Plays and other videos where the world map screen and mouse movements is nice and smooth. Does anyone else have this problem? And if they do, do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Low FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marius Sabinus View Post
    I don't know what the problem is but, for some reason, the FPS on the world map is completely ruined. I'm getting about 15 FPS whereas on the Main Menu and in battle I'm clocking between 40-50. I have a very good computer, but I also know that RTW is so old that it can't take advantage of the amazing graphics card and multi-core processor, after a point but I've seen Let's Plays and other videos where the world map screen and mouse movements is nice and smooth. Does anyone else have this problem? And if they do, do you know how to fix it? Thanks.
    What RTW version is it? Is it retail or is it Steam?

If it's Steam then do this:

1. Where is RTW installed and sometimes it can be important to know where Steam is installed e.g in the UAC-protected C:\Program Files (x86) directory.
    2. If RTW is a Steam version then check how much diskspace you have left on C:\, because the campaign map requires a lot of free diskspace in order to work properly.
    3. Backup those gamesaves you have in the C:\My Document\My Games\<game\Saves\<save files of a game> directory before deleting them, and doing that often improve the FPS in-game.

Right now I've a similar problem with ETW due for not having enough diskspace left. Which reminds me to ask you, you didn't say what kind of hardware you are using is it a HDD or is it a SSD for Windows?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I have version 1.5 and it's on Steam. I have 604 GB of disk space left. It's an HHD drive on Windows 10. I also have 8GB of DDR4 RAM and a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz processor if that makes a difference.

What brand is your video card, is it Nvidia or AMD?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

Hmm... I have a Nvidia GeForce 750 GTX Ti (2 Gb) and everything is working, except for ETW at the moment.

Did you recently updated your video driver? Updating a video driver can sometimes either improve or make a working game be unplayable. If you recently updated the video driver then go back to the old one, just to see if that helps.