Thread: Why you don't attack?

Default Why you don't attack?

Hi everybody,

I was playing as the WRE when Ostrogoths started to besiege one of my walled cities. A couple turns later they launched the assault. Once on the battlemap I saw that they had four siege towers but as soon as the battle began they left the siege towers. As it was one of those cities covered by a river on one of its sides, with an unprotected bridge, they sent a couple of cavalry units to the other side of the river using a forge, but the rest of the army kept walking around the city, being wiped out by towers.

Is this normal? Is there a mod to solve this AI problem?

Thanks

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Why you don't attack?

I would also like to know the answer to this. Haven't played any sieges but this doesn't sound promising.
    Are we back to M2TW that the knights were sitting tightly while my archers were killing them?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I had something similar during my campaign as Armenia in Rome 2. I was at war with Cimmeria. During the siege of Panticapeum my forces got attacked by a full 20-unit stack of Hoplites, Militia Hoplites and some cavalry. During the battle only cavalry dared to attack, while Hoplites simply stood still while slowly getting wiped out by my Eastern Slingers. Seems to be a bug.

I've had this happen a few times too in the map you've described. It's Sirmium, isn't it? I didn't reload and try again because I always take the win when the AI bugs out like that. I think that map is bugged, though I'm sure I've also defended against the AI attacking normally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    I've had this happen a few times too in the map you've described. It's Sirmium, isn't it? I didn't reload and try again because I always take the win when the AI bugs out like that. I think that map is bugged, though I'm sure I've also defended against the AI attacking normally as well.
    The problem seems to be that the brigde is unprotected, so to have a decent battle what yo need to do is to place your barricade on your side on the bridge, so the ai doesn't see the bridge as an "open" acces". Anyway, more concerning is the fact that the ai almost never attack protected cities, even if they aren't walled. I'm still loooking for an ai mod that solves this.

i think is relative to difficulties of game ,which difficulty you play ? i dont see any stupid movement like that in legendary difficulty !