Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: XCAI: Campaign AI feedback thread

Default Re: XCAI: Campaign AI feedback thread

Just to add a bit of my experience here; I'm playing my first Attila campaign as the Sclavenians. I noticed that as soon as I had a few provinces under my control, my economy is freaking out of control. It's now turn 76 and I've conquered the entire Sassanid empire and all of its puppet stets, with EIGHT doom stacks ready to roll over the Eastern Roman Empire when I feel like it. My income is 44,000 per turn.

Is this how things are supposed to turn out, or did I do particularly well? With the amount of money I have just about every settlement I own is building up towards max every single turn.

Do you still plan to update the mod for Attila with some campaign economy/building/diplomacy balancing? Or has Thrones of Britannia caught your attention as potential new title to mod? Those of us looking for a decent vanilla experience are kinda stuck right now between Junaidi's philosophy of buffing the crap out of AI for any of it's shortcomings or playing it fair and square with your modding collection but being left with little challenge past mid game when strong alliances form and most trade resources are secured.

Keep up the good work ... and stay on the dark side. Old med2/rome fossils like us have been kinda left hanging by CA recently with that whole Warhammer business, I've gotta admit.

I've recently been on a streak of playing Paradox titles like EUIV/Stellaris/HOI IV for a change, and after 500+ hours of bashing through superficial complexity laden on the player, I was somewhat taken aback when I realised AI has workarounds for most game features that players actually have to babysit. It's honestly easy to give up on trying to fix a dumb AI no matter the title, developer or genre, so I won't hold it against you if you're completely burned out with TW modding at this point.

2+ years after release, here are some examples from above mentioned of the abysmal state of AI in those titles:

- https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=741805475
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1140543652
    - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=692253918

AI-wise, strategy genre is really dead-in-the-water, from dysfunctional AI in Supreme Commander, to the likes of Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, Paradox games, TW games, and more recently, Endless Space 2. I find myself jumping from one title to the next, because no game manages to 'stick' after learning the basics. Lack of a challenge and human-like AI opponent is really disheartening.

With octo-core CPUs, 64-bit computing and tesla-grade GPUs entering consumer gaming market, one would think there would be enough processing power for us PC enthusiasts to enjoy a good strategy game. Sadly, it seems that dumb AI is not a technical limitation, but a business and design decision. It's designed to be dumb on purpose, and it's not designed to be good because it would siphon away the money from other, more marketable features.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

I just happened to drop in here by accident and I saw your post. I thought I would let you in on a few things.

Firstly, I am currently working on a Battletech mod called XAI Battletech! Once again fixing the majority of the short-comings of the base game. It will be done in a few months.

Second; Burned out fixing AI is an understatement. I did my best with Attila, but honestly there is so much broken in the game, I quit! Siege Battles are what made me stop completely. While working on Attila I realized many things about CA. 1) their coding is a relic and it is so full of crap from previous iterations of the previous games, I am amazed it works at all. Game programmers do not communicate well with each other and because their code is inefficient full of bloat. CA does not truly believe in investing in good AI because they can rely on MP now to make them money. Honestly, I don't think there are many companies that care about single player anymore.

I personally hat MP in most games, because I like to have fun, and I don't have fun in MP 80% of the time because the majority of people playing online are jerks to other people.

I may take a look at their newest game this winter. We shall see.
    Last edited by xeryx; August 22, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567