Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Britannia - Sky1 and Amazon Co-Production on the Roman conquest of Britain

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Britannia - Sky1 and Amazon Co-Production on the Roman conquest of Britain

So, not sure how this one managed to escape my television news but later this year we are getting a series on the conquest of Britain by the Romans. Has some decent people attached to it too.

I wonder if this will kind of be like how Netflix help produces The Last Kingdom when it comes to the relationship between Sky1 and Amazon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(TV_series)
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Britannia - Sky1 and Amazon Co-Production on the Roman conquest of Britain

Seems like it may be rather non-historical. It depicts the British resistance as being led by two queens (Kerra and Antedia), when it was in fact two sons of the late king Cunobeline of the Catuvellauni named Togodumnus and Caratacus. I'm not sure if there were any noble or royal women named Kerra and Antedia involved in the British resistance against the Romans. It seems like a cheap ploy to attract female viewers to me, if not a strange stand-in or representation of the later Queen Boudica of the Iceni who led a revolt against the Romans two decades later in 60-61 AD. Either way it's already on the wrong footing. Hopefully it is saved by a good narrative, cinematography, production quality, and well-choreographed fighting.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Britannia - Sky1 and Amazon Co-Production on the Roman conquest of Britain

Does it have non-white actors? That is the only thing needed.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Edris Elba is playing one of the Queens. True Story!

He has the acting chops im sure.

Apparently there is of course a black legionary who will play a prominent role. I am not sure but i think i don't like the guy who plays Aulus Plautius. He seems to play the same kind of character as in The Walking Dead and i just never saw Aulus Plautius as some madman he is in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiH7Ypz6PU

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Apparently there is of course a black legionary who will play a prominent role. I am not sure but i think i don't like the guy who plays Aulus Plautius. He seems to play the same kind of character as in The Walking Dead and i just never saw Aulus Plautius as some madman he is in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiH7Ypz6PU
    Wow. That looks terrible. The acting, the environments, pseudo-woad face paint, and bizarre clothing/armor all look horribly cheesy to me. LOL. Almost nothing about that struck me as being authentic to the time period. Their depiction of the Druids is amusing to say the least. The single black legionary could be explained away as some Ethiopian in the Roman army (since there is evidence that some of them served in it). As I mentioned above, the main problem here is the depiction of prominent noble women running and organizing the initial resistance to the Roman invasion, which I've dispelled in my previous post. There weren't a dozen women named Boudica running around in Britannia at the time. There was only one Boudica, and she was only relevant some 20 years after the period in which the show is set.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Caratacus was the real leader of the resistance no? Seem to remember he was a real thorn in the Romans side for an absurd amount of time.

In any case this looks genuinely bad. I dont understand when you got the money and the intention, why not do things right? Ask historians for advice, portray the characters faithfully, get beliveable costumes. Roman britain have been researched extensively, the knowledge is out there.

Oh and +1 for the close combat testudo. Classic.
    Last edited by Påsan; August 11, 2017 at 09:32 PM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

the black guy gets sacrificed first or what, how very 80s

this looks pretty meh.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Well, that just looks like a pseudo-historical Game of Thrones knockoff. Definitely be giving it a miss.

This stuff is annoying because once this inevitable fails due to its stylistic and narrative choices the blame will somehow fall on audiences not digging Romans or some such. Rome and the stories of Rome are cool, it's the crappy execution that turns people away. Not that I think it would've been particularly interesting in the first place considering its focus on Britain, which aside from Boudica has probably the least interesting Roman history.
    When the doctrine of allegiance to party can utterly up-end a man's moral constitution and make a temporary fool of him besides, what excuse are you going to offer for preaching it, teaching it, extending it, perpetuating it? Shall you say, the best good of the country demands allegiance to party? Shall you also say it demands that a man kick his truth and his conscience into the gutter, and become a mouthing lunatic, besides?
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Telamon View Post
    This stuff is annoying because once this inevitable fails due to its stylistic and narrative choices the blame will somehow fall on audiences not digging Romans or some such. Rome and the stories of Rome are cool, it's the crappy execution that turns people away. Not that I think it would've been particularly interesting in the first place considering its focus on Britain, which aside from Boudica has probably the least interesting Roman history.
    Not sure about having the least interesting history, considering the importance of Britannia in several Roman rebellions and civil wars, let alone the launching point for the political and military career of Constantine the Great. In fact, he was declared emperor while still stationed in Eboracum (modern-day York).

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Why is that actor walking around with his mouth open? He has the most bewildered look on his face and seems completely lost. Did he accidentally walk on set?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; August 24, 2017 at 01:16 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Is there even any show nowadays that isn't a feminist power fantasy?
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Oh.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Telamon View Post
    Not interesting to non-Brits perhaps but it's pretty interesting for Brits, since we never get to see our Roman history on screen. There was a series about Boudica in the 70s, but the last film with Boudica in it was released in 1927, not including an awful British/Romanian TV film from 15 years ago. I'll definitely watch this, it looks OK, no worse than the Last Kingdom anyway.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Not interesting to non-Brits perhaps but it's pretty interesting for Brits, since we never get to see our Roman history on screen. There was a series about Boudica in the 70s, but the last film with Boudica in it was released in 1927, not including an awful British/Romanian TV film from 15 years ago. I'll definitely watch this, it looks OK, no worse than the Last Kingdom anyway.
    Seriously, dude? There have been like three movies about Roman Britain in the past 10 years: The Last Legion (2007), Centurion (2010), and The Eagle (2011), all of these movies having rather big-name actors. You missed them all somehow?

Going back a bit further, there was also King Arthur in 2004, perhaps the most popular of the bunch, albeit obviously more mythological than the other ones.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma
    The Last Legion (2007)
    Possibly the worst pre-fight speech ever....

So bad....

Centurion and The Eagle were both decent movies, though not by TWC standards of scrutiny...

Oddest thing in the Eagle has to be Mark Strong (who's British) playing a Roman who's settled in Briton having an American accent....

What the ...

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

I have always found it fascinating that there are way more books/films/documentaries out there about Roman Britain than say....Roman Italy xD
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I have always found it fascinating that there are way more books/films/documentaries out there about Roman Britain than say....Roman Italy xD
    I wouldn't go that far, but there is certainly an inordinate number compared to say Roman Belgium or Roman Croatia. It's obviously because the Anglican-speaking world has bigger production budgets for films and TV than these two countries I just cherry-picked, for instance.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Is there anything about Roman Gaul? As far as I can think of some Julius Caesar films have the conquest of Gaul, there is also the film Druids which also has Julius Caesar in it, so no coincidence. Julius Caesar was probably the best thing to happen to Gaul I guess.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast