Thread: Veteran EB Players ---- My issue

Default Veteran EB Players ---- My issue

So after 3 years I've finally managed to get this mod working and I love it. I've begun a campaign as Romani and I'm currently in 247BC. I've captured 2 out 3 of the immediate rebel settlements to the north, 1 on Sicily and I've kicked the Hellenics off the heel of Italy. I'm trading with every faction in the game and have explored most of the map with diplomats and spies. What I'm confused about though is that it all seems fairly easy and all of the factions are pretty passive. Literally the only faction that has attacked me in 30 years has been the rebels. The borders and regions of all the other factions have also barely changed in the last 30 years. I can see them besieging each other and fighting battles but territories never seem to change (yes I am updating my map information). Is there something wrong with my game? Maybe it's the script? I enabled it at the start of the campaign and it asks me to enable it every time I load a game which I also do. I'm playing Hard/Hard... I'm VH/VH usually but it was my first time on the mod and I heard this mod was supposed to be painfully brutal.. So surely on Hard/Hard it should still be quite challenging?

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Default Re: Veteran EB Players ---- My issue

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon.1989 View Post
    So after 3 years I've finally managed to get this mod working and I love it. I've begun a campaign as Romani and I'm currently in 247BC. I've captured 2 out 3 of the immediate rebel settlements to the north, 1 on Sicily and I've kicked the Hellenics off the heel of Italy. I'm trading with every faction in the game and have explored most of the map with diplomats and spies. What I'm confused about though is that it all seems fairly easy and all of the factions are pretty passive. Literally the only faction that has attacked me in 30 years has been the rebels. The borders and regions of all the other factions have also barely changed in the last 30 years. I can see them besieging each other and fighting battles but territories never seem to change (yes I am updating my map information). Is there something wrong with my game? Maybe it's the script? I enabled it at the start of the campaign and it asks me to enable it every time I load a game which I also do. I'm playing Hard/Hard... I'm VH/VH usually but it was my first time on the mod and I heard this mod was supposed to be painfully brutal.. So surely on Hard/Hard it should still be quite challenging?
    I recommend VH/H or VH/VH. Also it's better with alex exe the ai.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Rome has it easy at the start. You start off not bordering anyone (except Tarentum but the army there is very small) so there are no immediate threats. You didn't mention which city on Sicily you took but taking Messana should start a war with Carthage, and they should come at you after a while. The Gauls generally won't cross the Alps to attack you. However, if you cross the Alps I can guarantee you will witness some very aggressive behaviour. The Gallic factions will be attacking you almost every turn to try to reclaim their lands.

If you want a rough start to the campaign try one of the factions rated "very hard" or "nigh-impossible".

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    Rome has it easy at the start. You start off not bordering anyone (except Tarentum but the army there is very small) so there are no immediate threats. You didn't mention which city on Sicily you took but taking Messana should start a war with Carthage, and they should come at you after a while. The Gauls generally won't cross the Alps to attack you. However, if you cross the Alps I can guarantee you will witness some very aggressive behaviour. The Gallic factions will be attacking you almost every turn to try to reclaim their lands.

If you want a rough start to the campaign try one of the factions rated "very hard" or "nigh-impossible".
    Hey appreciate the reply. Yeah I'm partly regretting not doing VH/VH now but I'll keep my Hard/Hard as I've been doing all day for 3 days. So basically you're saying it only appears like a quiet passive world because I haven't expanded into anyone elses territory? When I do so it'll become more hectic? I basically have 1 and a half stacks in north and south Italy. Perhaps the visual deterrant is why I've not seen anyone? Regarding your Sicily question: Yes it was Messana. I did it after they declared on me anyway which was because I kept sending my general just over the edge of the border to look at the mercenary selection. Obviously I have no access to archers but I found some Cretans on the Sicily border so have been popping back to check every few turns and I guess Carthage got fed up with it.

In that case I'm surprised Carthage hasn't attacked you, but big armies do act as a deterrent for the AI. Don't regret the difficulty. It might be easy now but finishing the game on VH/VH is incredibly tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    In that case I'm surprised Carthage hasn't attacked you, but big armies do act as a deterrent for the AI. Don't regret the difficulty. It might be easy now but finishing the game on VH/VH is incredibly tedious.
    It could be as you say all my weak points are watched by large deterrent forces. Maybe I'll start on someone tomorrow... See if they stop being passive no-movers.

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post
    I recommend VH/H or VH/VH. Also it's better with alex exe the ai.
    Any idea/guide to play EB 1.3 using alex.exe?
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

So update...

Everyone is active... REALLY active. Especially the rebel faction. I have these 2 full stacks of elite barbarian infantry hunting one of my legions.. Little every man is double gold chevron and some of these guys have 38 defense! I'm keeping my legion in the woods.. Basically moving from woods to woods and they have a rough idea where I am because they've passed me a couple of times. These 2 stacks are ridiculous they make vanillas Spartan Hoplites look like bunny rabbits. Carthage have also made their move.. I'm fighting them in Sicily at the moment but fortunately whilst they're infantry are superior to mine, they're 90% hoplites with no missiles so they can get vigorously peppered.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon.1989 View Post
    So update...

Everyone is active... REALLY active. Especially the rebel faction. I have these 2 full stacks of elite barbarian infantry hunting one of my legions.. Little every man is double gold chevron and some of these guys have 38 defense! I'm keeping my legion in the woods.. Basically moving from woods to woods and they have a rough idea where I am because they've passed me a couple of times. These 2 stacks are ridiculous they make vanillas Spartan Hoplites look like bunny rabbits. Carthage have also made their move.. I'm fighting them in Sicily at the moment but fortunately whilst they're infantry are superior to mine, they're 90% hoplites with no missiles so they can get vigorously peppered.
    Whoa a lot fighting, i am foresee
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

I asume the rebel elite stacks are in the alps.
    Just leave them be. they are there because it shouldnt be conquered at first.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    I asume the rebel elite stacks are in the alps.
    Just leave them be. they are there because it shouldnt be conquered at first.
    Yes they are. I take it you know of the two I mean? They're always there and always a problem?