Thread: Possible battle.xml modifications for Historical battles?

Icon5 Possible battle.xml modifications for Historical battles?

Historical battles in R2TW are not really historically-accurate in some ways regarding unit spawns and winning tactics.
    Since there are not any mods modifying battle configurations for historical battles, and it seems feasible to edit it, I decided to try modifying unit keys in battle.xml in .pack files using Pack File Manager, and succeeded in substituting some of the units with some more historically-accurate ones.
    But when it comes to editing unit orientations and consulting this tutorial on Total War Wiki:
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War...Definition_XML
    which said "
    Allowing free deployment on the battlefield
    By removing or commenting-out the <battle_script> tag (within the <battle_description> tag) any battle script will be prevented from executing and the battle will enter deployment phase when run (assuming deployment is not skipped with the <skip_deployment> tag). This allows deployment of units around the battlefield during the deployment phase, which is useful because units in the controlled army can then be deployed to their desired start positions.

When the Start Battle button is clicked the game will write a version of the XML to the following file:

%appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Attila\logs\battle.xml
    "
    After setting up game environments by modifying preferences.script.txt and user,script,txt in %AppData%\The Creative Assembly\Attila\scripts, doing what it said in wiki and subsequently finishing deployment before clicking start battle in game, however, the logged battle.xml didn't show up as expected, so I cannot extract desired unit position data.
    I wonder what went wrong in this process, and further, if it was actually feasible to create a mod to overhaul vanilla historical battles.
    Thanks!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Possible battle.xml modifications for Historical battles?

Hi Felix_Mundial, welcome to TWC!

I'll move this thread to the Mod Workshop where hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Thread moved from Rome II Technical Discussion & Support.

Thanks Frunk, cheers

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

In Attila at least, you don't need to edit battles.xml to edit historical battles. I assume its the same for Rome 2.

I've made 2 historical battles for a Game of Thrones mod for Total War: Attila. You may want to check out the files to see how its done. I should stress however that I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing lols, and its a lot of trial and error. DETrooper may be able to help you out more since he knows how to script and he made a tool that is 100% required if you want to make cutscenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    In Attila at least, you don't need to edit battles.xml to edit historical battles. I assume its the same for Rome 2.

I've made 2 historical battles for a Game of Thrones mod for Total War: Attila. You may want to check out the files to see how its done. I should stress however that I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing lols, and its a lot of trial and error. DETrooper may be able to help you out more since he knows how to script and he made a tool that is 100% required if you want to make cutscenes.
    Thank you very much, my friend I'll check it out and update in this thread if it is convenient to you. I will also try contacting him.

Wow, it is the Seven Kingdoms mod, which I had favorited via Steam Workshop as soon as I catch up with what I've missed in GoT series lol. Great overhaul, thank you for your dedication