Thread: "Faced with an invasion, Antioch arms its citizens" WTF

Align's Avatar Laetus

Default "Faced with an invasion, Antioch arms its citizens" WTF

I don't know if this is XC or actually just a vanilla feature I never saw before but it's complete .
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1098970829
    I originally laid siege to the city and took it when the seleucid army sallied and got crushed, but since taking cities on the AI turn crashes to desktop sometimes (this being one of those times) I had to reload and lift the siege, leaving my army just standing around outside the city. After being attacked by another army and crushing it and the garrison (which joined in as reinforcements) to a man, Antioch was left empty - same result as when I crushed the garrison directly, so that seems fair to me - until my turn rolled around again and a full stack of stupid spawned in out of nowhere, with the advisor giving me the message in the title.

pls nerf

Align's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: "Faced with an invasion, Antioch arms its citizens" WTF

Well, I've calmed down a bit now. I suppose it wouldn't have been half as bad if it wasn't for the crashing. Loaded an earlier save anyway, and this time beat the sally and got the city without crashing, but instead it crashed later when I tried to save, and now I crash intermittently when trying to load... just one of those days I guess.

Align's Avatar Laetus

Guess that campaign is lost. Crash on ending turn, crash on loading a quicksave, crash on loading an autosave...

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Align View Post
    Guess that campaign is lost. Crash on ending turn, crash on loading a quicksave, crash on loading an autosave...
    Quicksave & autosave are two surefire ways to encourage ctd's, they are commonly known as "buggy saves". The quicksave or autosave routine can fail which results in a corrupted save. If this happens and you don't have any manual saves you can return to then you're in trouble as the only save you have is corrupted so you have to start a new campaign. I never use them, I always manual save and rarely have any ctd's in any mod I play.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 05, 2017 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Align's Avatar Laetus

Hm, come to think of it autosaving can be turned off, so I suppose if I do that I can continue that campaign with the old manual save. Bit of a shame that was after Antioch's full stack, but at least I don't have to start all the way from the beginning. Thanks for the tip!

Hm, come to think of it autosaving can be turned off, so I suppose if I do that I can continue that campaign with the old manual save. Bit of a shame that was after Antioch's full stack, but at least I don't have to start all the way from the beginning. Thanks for the tip!
    Take into account that TW itself is unstable after a few hours play due to a memory leak. Ideally if you are playing for a few hours at a time you should save and come out of the game every 1-2 hours to desktop to allow your RAM to reset itself, this will help too.
    You could also defrag regularly, this also helps as sometimes it can be your system that can causes the issue, or alternatively you can do what I have done which is to take control of virtual store, here is a link on how to do this, it's for Med 2/Kingdoms but works the same for RTW. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Store-Problems

Align's Avatar Laetus

Erg. Well, turning off autosaving sadly didn't help so I guess that's out. And permissions seem to already be locked to "allow" for everything, so that doesn't appear to be the problem either.

Erg. Well, turning off autosaving sadly didn't help so I guess that's out. And permissions seem to already be locked to "allow" for everything, so that doesn't appear to be the problem either.
    The suggestions I gave you will not help you're present game if it's already corrupted. Unfortunately you may have to do a complete install (RTW included) if all else fails. the virtual store tip has to be done manually so if you have not done it previously it can't already be set.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 05, 2017 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Typo

Align's Avatar Laetus

I thought I'd come back to this and ask how exactly the mechanic in the first post works. My new campaign is going well enough, not without its setbacks but I'll manage - however, after Taxila did this while it was under siege, I've seen the Eastern Kingdom walk around with three full stacks of silver/silver elite troops including more than a dozen elephants where previously there was only garbage troops. Do they at least suffer some sort of downside? Can this event trigger for me, if one of my cities come under siege? What exactly is the condition, since taking Antioch was no problem this time?

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Advisor trigger after player's military units within vincinity of 1 tile surrounding specific settlement (most likely to be important historical capitols) next turn it would trigger advisor and script to spawn army inside settlement but reduced population by 2000. They are there for player who desire epic climatic battle. But if you don't like it, just ignore advisor, if you not clicking her, script will not auto-activate and spawning any units.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Align's Avatar Laetus

Well, it certainly made life more interesting for me for a while, having to fend off multiple full stacks, but I'm glad it's optional. I had no idea, I was just clicking the advisor to zoom to the event...