Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When the Hell is the Next Historical Title?

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default When the Hell is the Next Historical Title?

I am so sick of Warhammer. i hate it. I tried to like it, I tried to play it. Its just shite, it doesn't feel like a good strategy game. I hate the atmosphere, and the feel of the game. I have loved total war for nearly 15 years now. And I feel like they sold out.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; August 01, 2017 at 08:23 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: When the Hell is the Next Historical Title?

I agree they did sell out. And yes, I found Warhammer as well. The atmosphere is paper thin and game play feels like a being strapped in a chair and forced to watch the Cartoon Network. But cash is king and a lot of people like cartoons Come to think of it historical Total War is a cartoonish version of history. Anyways, I digress. ICYMI, Jack Lusted is bringing forth a new Total War historical title on the Attila engine for 2018 that should be announced soon. The next "full" historical title is also in full development and will follow Jack's game -- in 2019? I hope that won't be an attempt to do "Victoria" with twenty unit stack armies. Bismark would not be amused.

I don't Like Warhammer At All But Niether do i like Sword Total Wars. Since Fall of The Samurai i have not Enjoyed Total War

Bruno_Magno's Avatar Foederatus

Total War Warhammer is not a masterpiece, but it's not that bad. I think of it as a different kind of total war, with Knights who can not dismount and huge monsters (the best part of the game IMO). I got it recently and I'm already in my second campaign, which, with the use of some MODS, is quite fun.
    I had a much greater dislike with the launch of Rome 2, with the limit of armies, the need for generals, the imperium system and (mainly) the total exclusion of economic growth. Despite this, after some time and (thanks modders) some MODS I came to have fun with the game.
    I believe the next historical game will be released in 12 to 24 months, probably a Total War Saga. In contrast, the next major historical title should take a little longer.

Next historical is likely after War Hammer 3 - so 2020?
    The Saga DLC/mini-historical games will come up before then.

lol. They have separate teams working on each sub-franchise (Warhammer, historical, saga, etc) but the problem is they're not going to release two big games in the same 1-2 year timeframe and cannibalize each other's sales. Maybe we'll get lucky and get the historical game between WH2 and WH3, but since the WH series is supposed to a trilogy, my guess is the historical game comes after...
    Last edited by lolIsuck; August 01, 2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: continuity

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I agree they did sell out. And yes, I found Warhammer as well.
    And the sky is still blue. Seriusly you've done nothing but riff on every total war game since before rome 2 was released. Dont understand why you even bother with TW any more. Also cant belive you acctually bought warhammer after all that "juvenile trash" you were pulling back before release.

I think Warhammer is in the talk for the best Total War ever. It certianly from a purely TW mechanics standpoint has unnmatched replayability and diversity among its factions.

However id be keen on a new historical total war, if they build a new engine for it. Preferably renissance - 30 years war since its the only major european era not really covered yet (although its been done in part, poorly, by late medieval - early empire)

However they wont release a standalone direct competotor to their own game, so not before after the triology is done. So two years from now would be my guess.
    Last edited by Påsan; August 01, 2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Seriusly you've done nothing but riff on every total war game since before rome 2 was released. Dont understand why you even bother with TW any more. Also cant belive you acctually bought warhammer after all that "juvenile trash" you were pulling back before release.
    Hee hee...I got WH for ten dollars about 6 months ago and I had fun for ~12 hours. Until I found the vampire faction in my game, was blown away by the stupidity of it and had to quit. Just kidding - but I found the battles pure arcade, so after a while I auto-resolved through the Chaos invasion and then quit out of boredom. Steam says 25 hours.

My love of history, especially military campaigns, will keep me tethered to CA as long as they make historical games. Always a fan but never a fan boy. Bring me a glorified but genuine take on a historical time and place, and I'm hooked. Put mega-cities in the Sahara desert to "balance the map" and I'm going to criticize. And concepts like faction diversity don't speak to me at all unless they flow from something authentic. Come to think of it even a well-drawn fantasy can be immersive too, but Warhammer is like a tedious parody of LotR. In my opinion it's drivel but it sells so it must speak to people. I don't get Pokemon either, but that's very popular.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Well consider this:
    2017 Warhammer 2
    2018 DLC and Saga Total War
    2019 Warhammer 3
    2020 New Historical Title
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post
    Well consider this:
    2017 Warhammer 2
    2018 DLC and Saga Total War
    2019 Warhammer 3
    2020 New Historical Title
    Try this instead:
    2017 WH2
    2018 Saga Feb/March and WH3 September
    2019 New Historical Title (which has been in full production since early 2017)

Saga coming in Feb/March next year TWH3 in September next year

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Try this instead:
    2017 WH2
    2018 Saga Feb/March and WH3 September
    2019 New Historical Title (which has been in full production since early 2017)

Saga coming in Feb/March next year TWH3 in September next year
    Probably not. The Warhammer games are coming on an 18-month window.
    2018: Saga Title
    2019 May-ish: Warhammer III
    2020 Late: New Historical Title

And I hope against all hopes it will be Victoria Total War.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

If they can release 30 units as free-LC but can't give historical fans more than just a stupid generic name rather than a preview, a trailer, or even screenshots (you know all the things Warhammer gets), you can be pretty sure that Saga will be postponed. And they will claim it is for polish and such, but its bottom of the list, along with the other historical stuff.

2019 for Saga(maybe late 2018), post 2020 for the new Historical title

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    If they can release 30 units as free-LC but can't give historical fans more than just a stupid generic name rather than a preview, a trailer, or even screenshots (you know all the things Warhammer gets), you can be pretty sure that Saga will be postponed. And they will claim it is for polish and such, but its bottom of the list, along with the other historical stuff.
    CA is still in the middle of hyping for Warhammer II, and hyping for Norsca as an extension. There's no way that Warhammer III is released before 18 months from the release of II, so we're looking at a year gap for a game. Perfect time for Saga. I expect hype for that to start in Feb of next year.

It is actually so dissapointing its funny. I mean great for the people that enjoy Warhammer. I am happy for them. But it just feels so hollow for me, skin deep. Like I got bored after a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    ... The atmosphere is paper thin and game play feels like a being strapped in a chair and forced to watch the Cartoon Network. ...
    I logged in after like 7-8 years because that expression was so funny and I would almost agree except that warhammer is the only title I have not bought. I have 1-5 copies of every title from Total War series previous to Warhammer. Regrettably though, CA were already going in that direction especially after SEGA took over.

I think the message has been pretty clear. 30th anniversary of CA: Warhammer gets free DLC, paid DLC, and a new release, historical fans get the same "we're totally working on it, scout's honor" they've been saying for years now and will be saying for years more. At this point I'm more curious as to which license CA is pursuing rather than which era the next historical game will be in because we know which one CA sees more money (and therefore, will put more effort) in.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by MrJade View Post
    CA is still in the middle of hyping for Warhammer II, and hyping for Norsca as an extension. There's no way that Warhammer III is released before 18 months from the release of II, so we're looking at a year gap for a game. Perfect time for Saga. I expect hype for that to start in Feb of next year.
    I don't want hype, I want concrete information. All that "its gonna be huge, it's massive, we are working on it, just see in the next 12 months" without anything to back it up

im not whining, I call it a valid complaint about how CA treats the historical fans (you know, the people who have been buying their games for over a decade) as annoying pestering people who they need to satisfy while not making any money out of them, and the poor way they handle it. Every blogpost was basicly "stop annoying us and come back when we need your money"

Posts merged; off-topic statements removed. ~ Frunk
    Last edited by Frunk; August 05, 2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Posts merged; off-topic statements removed.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

This is a thread about the release date/details for the next historical Total War. It's not a place for discussing cartoons and/or politics. Let's stay on topic, please.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    I don't want hype, I want concrete information. All that "its gonna be huge, it's massive, we are working on it, just see in the next 12 months" without anything to back it up

im not whining, I call it a valid complaint about how CA treats the historical fans (you know, the people who have been buying their games for over a decade) as annoying pestering people who they need to satisfy while not making any money out of them, and the poor way they handle it. Every blogpost was basicly "stop annoying us and come back when we need your money"

Posts merged; off-topic statements removed. ~ Frunk

I stopped trusting their promises a LONG time ago.

My last post saying what I really think of them was deleted by moderators, but I wouldn't not use nice words to describe how I feel anymore.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; August 08, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

I play warhammer from time to time and have warhammer 2 pre-orderd but it's just a game I can't get 'into'. All the previous historical games I can lose a day easily just getting engrossed into a campaign. Yeah I think the biggest kick in the teeth was the 30th year celebrations and it was all Warhammer based, just sort of forgot about all the previous historical games, not even a unit DLC or something just to freshen up some of the previous games it's like we don't exist. As much as I love their previous games I think CA/Sega will milk this warhammer thing until it can't be milked anymore and as a poster above said they are probably already looking to license some other fantasy game or world as it seems to draw in a much larger crowd =|.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast