Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury

Default Canterbury

CANTERBURY

Home to the Primate of England, Canterbury is one of the most populous cities in the realm. Granted a charter only recently, in 1448, the city is thereby ruled by a lord mayor and a sheriff. Surrounded by sturdy Roman walls, which have been repaired continuously (specially during 1378 and 1401) the city is rather well defended. However, Canterbury's major atraction is its cathedral, seat to the Archbishop and one of the greatest pilgrimage sites in all England, as home to the shrine of Saint Thomas Becket, whose cult was widespread all over Europe, from Castile to Sweden.

• Canterbury Cathedral: This radiant monument to God's glory is the oldest cathedral in England, originally founded in Anglo-Saxon times and then rebuilt & expanded further by the Normans and Plantagenets. It holds special significance in the Catholic Church in England, and its Archbishop is the most powerful representative of said Church in the country. +10% income, +2 Charisma, +2 levy and taxation rolls. Characters may also seek refuge within the Cathedral for up to 1 in-game year and, unless permitted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, anyone who would do harm unto them on its consecrated ground will certainly have to face some consequences at the Church's hands.
    • The People of Canterbury: Canterbury is a major charter city of England, and its large population is keenly aware of their rich history & religious significance to the Kingdom. They will defend the city with their lives should they be given reason to fear that the attacking army intends to loot its sacred treasures and their homes. d5*d1000 Militia (75% Militia Longbows, 25% Militia Footmen) will spawn when the city comes under attack unless its people happen to actually like the attacker more than its present controller and are confident that they won't sack the place upon victory.

The Primate has a splendid palace, built within the grounds of the cathedral, a palace that has suffered the ire of the populace once, being ransacked in 1381. Still, the recent archbishops have restored it to its former glory, being a residence befitting the Archbishop. However, both Thomas Bourchier and his nephew Humphrey prefer Knole House, a palatial manse with excellent hunting grounds and removed from Canterbury and its populace. The archbishop also has several castles, including the imposing Saltwood Castle.

Canterbury Upgrades

Monastic Sponsorship: +5% province income (for clerical characters)

Retainers

Former Cut-throat: this man is an able bodyguard, being adept at recognising and preventing attempts upon a person's life. -1 to assassination rolls against the owner.

Skilled Physician: A doctor, perhaps having studied at Oxford or Cambridge, very skilled in the field of medicine. -2 to age-related death rolls for this character.

Gifted Lawyer: Able to try wrangle his employer out of tricky situations using the very comprehensive and complex Common Law. +1 charisma.

ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY
    CARDINAL HUMPHREY BOURCHIER
    Born 1437 (36)
    Titles: Lord Chancellor, Cardinal, Archbishop of Canterbury
    Children: None acknowledged.

Phlegmatic:
    - Austere: This character disdains pomp and pageantry, instead preferring a plain & simple (the uncharitable might say 'rigidly spartan') lifestyle. +5% income, -1 Charisma.

- Empathic: This character is strongly attuned to the emotions of others and cares for them, making them great friends or kinsmen to have - but poor warriors and generals. +2 Charisma, -1 to battle/joust/duel rolls.

Sanguine
    :
    - Upbeat: Nothing seems to get this character down. They're perpetually smiling and looking on the bright side of even the darkest developments, truly the kind of optimism that can be infectious...or delusional, if the situation is bad enough. +1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding).

Addiitonal Traits (6):
    +2 Charisma
    +2 Survival
    +2 Wealth

Biography: Son of the late Henry Bourchier, 1st Duke of Aumerle, and nephew to Thomas Bourchier, Archbishop of Canterbury. Humphrey was destined to the clergy long ago, under the auspices of his uncle, who wished a heir to his legacy from his own blood. Dean at Canterbury for several years, he was later raised to the bishopric of Exeter and in 1473, after his uncle's death, he was ordained as Archbishop of Canterbury. Little is known of Humphrey's character and traits, even if he was, briefly, Lord Privy Seal during his uncle's service as Lord Chancellor of the Realm. However, at first he was never intended to become a priest and received formal training in arms like all his brothers. A quite unusual priest, he likes to live as any other noblemen and, since he became Bishop of Exeter, like a peer of the realm: he hunts, he trains and he whores, albeit in the privacy of his residence. As fiery and hot-headed as Lord Scales or Lord Ferrers, he is burdened by his priestly duties and vows. Nevertheless, he tries to be a worthy successor to his late uncle.

Archdiocesan Incomes

Incomes: 1,000

Income Bonuses: 150

Trait income Bonus: 150

Canterbury Bonus: 100

Expenses: 0

Totals: 1,300
    ------

Treasury: 1,300

King's Will: 5,000

Totals: 7,600

------

Treasury: 7,600

Loan Disbursal: 1,000 and 7,900

Loan repaid: 1,000

Totals: 1,300

------

Treasury: 1,300

Loan Disbursal: 2,700 to Thomas Bourchier

Loan repaid: 0

Totals: 2,700
    ------------------------------
    1484 II

Treasury: 2,700

Loan Disbursal:

Loan repaid: 3,790

Expenses: 200 (Buildings)

Totals: 7,690

Outstanding Loans
    Arthur Plantaganet: 1,000 pounds

7% interest per year, acceleration available.

Accrued Interest: 70 pounds

Principal repaid: 1,000, repaid in full

William Hastings: 900 pounds

7% interest per year.

Accrued Interest: 63 pounds

Principal repaid: RePAID IN FULL

Richard, Duke of Gloucester: 7,000 pounds

1% interest per year.

Accrued Interest: 140 pounds

Principal repaid: 0

Thomas Bourchier: 2,700 pounds

1% interest per year.

Accrued Interest: 27 pounds

Principal repaid: REPAID IN FULL

Canterbury 'Good Works' Account
    70 pounds
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; September 01, 2017 at 12:45 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: Canterbury

A messenger outfitted in the Duke of Gloucester's livery, including bearing Richard's personal badge of a white boar on his chest, arrives at Canterbury with a message for the Archbishop: he's wanted back in London. Given the news of the Archbishop of York's passing and the resulting vacancy of the post of Lord Chancellor, it wouldn't be hard for the Archbishop to guess why.

Upon his return to Canterbury, Humphrey pens a letter to the Holy Father in Rome...

A message is sent to the pope detailing the reasons for the Queen's excommunication and interdict. Along with the message is a notice promising a large donation from Canterbury, the sum of 2,500 pounds, payable from the Pazzi bank, upon receipt of said promissory note from England.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The sun was high on the horizon as a carridge trundles up towards Canterbury bearing William Hastings to see the Arch Bishop.

Hastings is granted an audience. Humphrey almost expected this to be a royal messenger with a warrant.

Hastings greets the Archbishop. "Eminence I heard about your brothers imprisonment. It was quite a shock especially on the heels of Stafford. Many Lords being accused of treason it seems." There had more to it it seemed with Archbishop Excommunicating the queen.

The man was led into the Archbishop's offices, an elaborate, multistory structure containing offices, apartments, and chapels. The Archbishop was in such an office when Hastings was led in. "Many are being accused, and none are being convicted." The Archbishop replied after listening to the man. "The Queen had best be reminded that bearing false witness is a cardinal sin, though I believe that God's light is not shining on London city this year."

Hastings nods, "I had heard of that declaration. It is a shame the people of London must suffer for the Queens arrogance." He sighs shaking his head. "There must be a way to make matters right for the people while still seeing justice done." He pauses now trying to read the Archbishops responses.

This was the first time anyone had asked Humphrey what a reconciliation would take, but he had given it much thought nonetheless. "Last time I went to the Queen. She closed her doors to me and publicly harangued me. Now the Queen must come to me, in Canterbury, and ask for absolution after her repentance. I am sure we could come to some arrangement for the restoration of the city's ministry as well as the Queen's return to the fold of the church. My brother's release, my reappointment to the position of Lord Chancellor, among some other small matters."

Hastings nods thoughtfully as though he was considering something for the first time. "And what if the Queen will not come to you? There must be another way to return London to Gods light if the Queen in her pride refuses to bend." Hastings says. "She is only a Regent after all, it bodes poorly for the kings reign to start so... troubled." Hastings cared little if Woodville ever reconciled with the church. He had spoken against her assent to the regency on multiple occasions and had advised the King against sending his Royal uncles away.

"Then I would suggest that the government do what it can to remove the Queen Regent from exercising total, unrestrained power. I will not return to Court while the Queen remains in her position." Humphrey replied simply. "The Queen must be held accountable for her actions before the Realm and God."

"Then perhaps it is best to see the queen is removed and a more restrained hand put in her place." Hastings says simply. "Matters in the realm could then be put right." She had never been supposed to be regent in the first place, and already two lords languished in prison.

"I think that is exactly what is needed. The King may even begin to rule in his own right with the aid of his counselors." Humphrey replied. "Though talk such as that is more likely to end up with you being clapped in irons around the Queen, such is the depth of her lsut for power and control."

"An interesting solution to the problem we are facing your eminence." Hastings says nodding as though in agreement, "But for such a plan to work there would need to be Lords supporting the King. The Queens men make up potions in the highest offices of the realm." A bunch lickspittles willing to lick the Queens boots as long as they get her table scraps he adds silently to himself. "Without Lords to oppose their power the Queen is unchecked."

"We need not look farther than the King's uncles, I think. The Queen did her best to banish them. We must insist that upon the completion of their appointed duties, they return and supplant her as was the original arrangement. She has proven herself no better than all women: vengeful, petty, and of a weak constitution. She cannot be allowed to rule on her own." the Archbishop replied. "Further more she is an excommunicant. Such persons are always unfit to rule."

"Then we must assemble the Lords, and find Lord Clarence. With his brother fighting the Scots in the North it may be some time before Lord Gloucester can return to take his place by his brothers side. Regardless the longer the Queen remains in power the worse I fear it will be for the people of England." Hastings himself had been vocal against the Queens supplanting of the Royal uncles.

"Any such movement will have my blessing and sanction. We cannot be rules by an excommunicant." A smile was growing on his lips. The Queen would pay dearly for her arrogance.

"I have already begun approaching other Lords about such a move although I must do so cautiously. If the wrong ear gets wind of my intentions I will end up next to your brother and Lord Stafford." He shakes his head and grimaces. "There are some who share our concerns though."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

At some indeterminate point in time, Gloucester's lieutenant William Catesby arrives at Canterbury to seek an audience with the Archbishop. It is understood that the duke is marching off to fight the Scots, and will probably want a loan to increase the size of his army.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

A certain Sir George Neville wishes to speak with His Eminence, the archbishop of Canterbury.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast