Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Research) The Alan Kingdom

Default Re: (Research) The Alan Kingdom

Hey Linus, mind adding the estimated date of period for each image? If you don't mind, it would save us from researching the dates on these images. It is nice to see that the Os Bagatar helmet is a thing with the Alans, since I made the model for the 14th century Georgians to use. I don't really see the use of lamellars with the saints, but rather what seems like cured (boiled) leather armour to shape out a breastplate. It has a globose shape to it which indicates some potential innovation from Western European armours. I see some typical Byzantine padding pattern on the left saint. Both saints seem to make some use pteryges in a similar manner as you can find in depictions of 13th century miniatures as far as Israel controlled in the Kingdom of Jerusalem (Bible française abrégée, XIIIe siècle [Bible de Saint-Jean d'Acre] http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b550071673 ).

Byzantines seem to do something similar with their armours as well in their early 14th century Romance of Alexander miniatures.

However, the hourglass shape of Western European armours doesn't really show up until the later half of the 14th century.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: (Research) The Alan Kingdom

Jup, added the approximate dates. Concerning the armours: Jep, leather armour seems to describe those of the Zelenchuk murals better. Anyway, still keep in mind that these murals might have been drawn by Byzantine artists. I would only include these armours for a handful of generals, reflecting the relations with Byzantium and Georgia.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; October 22, 2017 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12