Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Hey jdofo, your preset works with GemFX but not reshade right? Sorry I'm still very new at this.

Default Re: Guide to Getting Great Graphics in Medieval 2 (how to make EB2 look as good as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by ipickert55 View Post
    Hey jdofo, your preset works with GemFX but not reshade right? Sorry I'm still very new at this.
    Yes, it's a preset for GEMFX 1.0.9. #46

I heard that there might be better performance through ReShade, so I might adapt this preset in the future when I find some time. Enjoy it!

I've had some problems getting Reshade to work, I have followed the instructions in the video to the letter 3 times, and each time I complete the steps the game fails to start, the only way to get the game running again is a clean install, which also means I have to go through the hassle of reinstalling this great mod. Has anyone else encountered problems like this? where the game and mod is working fine, but attempted Reshade installation breaks the game. I wish I could remember the error message, as I'm sure that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Inamabilis Sciurus Rubrum View Post
    I've had some problems getting Reshade to work, I have followed the instructions in the video to the letter 3 times, and each time I complete the steps the game fails to start, the only way to get the game running again is a clean install, which also means I have to go through the hassle of reinstalling this great mod. Has anyone else encountered problems like this? where the game and mod is working fine, but attempted Reshade installation breaks the game. I wish I could remember the error message, as I'm sure that would be helpful.
    It sounds like there's something wrong with your configuration file (medieval2.preference.cfg) rather than reshade, since reshade does not alter any game files. Did you copy/paste the CFG from the video description? If so, perhaps your resolution is incorrect or something similar. There will never be a reason to have to re-install the game as a result of reshade (which is just a few files put into the M2TW directory — they can be deleted manually in a few seconds). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HaHawk View Post
    It sounds like there's something wrong with your configuration file (medieval2.preference.cfg) rather than reshade, since reshade does not alter any game files. Did you copy/paste the CFG from the video description? If so, perhaps your resolution is incorrect or something similar. There will never be a reason to have to re-install the game as a result of reshade (which is just a few files put into the M2TW directory — they can be deleted manually in a few seconds). Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply, I copied manually as I was unsure about the fact that I had some items in my list that were absent in yours and vice versa, so I identified the ones that were present in both but had different values and changed those, the mod is running perfectly, however whenever I attempt to implement ReShade that's when the problems occur. I may give it one last go, but will finish my current campaign first.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I believe that with external graphics programms each mod loses its identity.
    Explain. Each modding team desides what kind of essense their creation will make. That includes the style of texturing, the style of models , the enviroment , minor mods like better sky or water etc.
    By changing that essense you no longer play that mod.
    Back in years what JMRC (this mod's animator) helped me in an animation I offered him my total collection of Marka fixed horses in the shapes his team would desire as a move of gratidute.
    He explained that his mod would keep their horses because they fit 100% to the style of the units they mount them and MARKA horses would look alien to the mod.
    In this link you can see the diference in style (not better not worse-just diferent style) of our mod to this wonderfull one! The images are snapshots without any changes from te battle field.
    My humble sugestion is to play EACH mod with its UNIQUE essense it offers to us all. Feel what its creators wanted you to feel playing it. That includes minimods unit additions.
    PLEASE do not use other mods units as addition to this mod or another. The diferenece of styles will ruin the easthetics.
    Play this mod as is...Enjoy it...learn from it and its creators years of hard work.
    There are moments (in history), in which a nation owes,
    if it wants to be considered as a great one, to be able to fight.
    Even without hope of winning. Just because it has to.
    Greek War motto.
    XXI Armored Brigade. Proud that served in that unit in 1996!
    "Spartans do not ask how many (enemies are) but where they are"!
    XXI Armored Brigade's motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I believe that with external graphics programms each mod loses its identity.
    Explain. Each modding team desides what kind of essense their creation will make. That includes the style of texturing, the style of models , the enviroment , minor mods like better sky or water etc.
    By changing that essense you no longer play that mod.
    Back in years what JMRC (this mod's animator) helped me in an animation I offered him my total collection of Marka fixed horses in the shapes his team would desire as a move of gratidute.
    He explained that his mod would keep their horses because they fit 100% to the style of the units they mount them and MARKA horses would look alien to the mod.
    In this link you can see the diference in style (not better not worse-just diferent style) of our mod to this wonderfull one! The images are snapshots without any changes from te battle field.
    My humble sugestion is to play EACH mod with its UNIQUE essense it offers to us all. Feel what its creators wanted you to feel playing it. That includes minimods unit additions.
    PLEASE do not use other mods units as addition to this mod or another. The diferenece of styles will ruin the easthetics.
    Play this mod as is...Enjoy it...learn from it and its creators years of hard work.
    Well, I agree on the essence of the message, but I have to disagree in the generalisation and exaggeration.

EBII on my high-end laptop (emphasising it is not a potato, only that) doesn't look near as good as the EBII twitter unit previews pictures. On the contrary, I have this fake oversaturated and artificial colours/contrast/lighting from original M2TW, and that really kills all the hard work accomplished by EBII team. I have already asked them what do they use in order to get that quality but didn't get any reply. So I felt oblied to tweak an external graphics program (GEMFX profile #46) for the first time, in order to fully enjoy EBII as it deserves. It took me many hours/days to enhance the graphics while keeping EBII design essence, and I humbly believe that it is a good compromise for other people that might have felt the same. You will still play EBII, do not dramatise.

The conclusion is that it depends on the hardware/software everyone has in order to play it (e.g. screen calibrations and personal preference, of course). I agree that there are many presets for games which over do it and I dislike them as well, but that doesn't mean that using an external graphical injector is killing the work made by splendid modders if done right (quite the opposite, it can bring back an engine to its glory days). Trust me, it is very tricky and challenging, even a decimal variation within a parameter among tons of them can make a whole difference for better or worse. Without these tweaks, I could barely enjoy EBII as I enjoy it now, so let people decide what they need, as they can even disagree with some decisions. That's the beauty of mods, submods and so on, no one is forcing you to use them but there is always another step for creativity. In fact, even sometimes submods become better than the original mod (becoming another mod in itself), so just play as you prefer and let others play as they want too. Cheers!
    Last edited by jdofo; May 15, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5