Thread: Ninja's Total War mod - Fall of the Samurai Rework

Default Ninja's Total War mod - Fall of the Samurai Rework

!!! DOWNLOAD THIS PATCH FILE AND ADD IT TO DATA FOLDER !!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0y...hzRy1QVXM/view

This patch file includes reworked clan traits and effects, and reworked agent skills.

This patch file is not essential, but strongly recommended to enjoy fully rebalanced campaign.

You must remove this patch file from the /data folder manually to run Shogun 2, RotS campaign or uninstall this mod.

----------------------------------------
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1088548898

Steam Workshop link
    (Choshu AI suicide bug hotfix)

Full-scale, real Boshin War mod for you!

1.0 Patch notes
    24 July 2017

Faction rework

Note : Reworked Faction trait and Agent skill tree need the patch file(Ninja_FotS_patch.pack).
    Without the patch file, you will have Vanilla FotS agent skills and faction traits.

Satsuma
    Emperor's Ambition

The Shimazu of Satsuma domain survived the Sengoku Jidai, but the Tokugawa Shogunate always feared their great potential, such as regular tribute from the Ryukyu Kingdom and trade with China. Although Satsuma is inclined to follow Imperialist ideology, they rose to power by helping the Shogunate in the court of Kyoto in recent power shift, and they will not let this opportunity slip throught their fingers. Satsuma has abundant treasury at the start of the campaign, with an effective administration. They also have well-trained foreign veterans.

- Dominion : reworked, now "Begins with additional funds(10000)"
    - Administration : +5% -> +10% reduction to administration costs

Note : Everybody starts with two provinces anyway. They need some buff too.
    Frankly, their real trait was the position and their clan trait was so insignificant.

Choshu
    Emperor's Fury

Choshu is the very heart of “Sonno-Joi” movement. Recently, Choshu domain was banished from the court of Kyoto by Shogunate loyalists' plot, and declared an enemy of the state. Although Choshu suffered financial disaster by recent conflicts such as their failed assaults against Kyoto and Western fleets, it also helped them to realize the importance of modernization and to nurture many strategists. Knowing the barbarian technology is essential, Choshu armies cost less, and have morale and movement range bonus. Also, Ishin shishi recruited in Choshu will be of high quality.

- Now starts with a Kiheitai unit. (Damn, starting general is Takasugi Shinsaku himself, the leader of Kiheitai!)
    - Vanguard : replacing Marauding, +15% to campaign movement range
    - Fanaticism : replacing Impetus, +1 to morale for land units
    - Starting Ishin Shishi renamed : Katsura Kogoro
    - Starting ally faction : Tsuwano (Iwami)
    - Starting enemy faction : Kokura (Buzen)
    - Starting with two provinces : Suo, Nagato
    - -2000 to starting treasury

Note : I HATED Choshu always being wiped out in 2-3 turns. Choshu was in crazy bad situation in 1864, yes, no doubt about it.
    But...you know. I want them to lead Imperialists and invade into eastern Japan just like they did in history.
    Looting gives player very bad honour penalty, and it even stacks up to -3. I don't think looting bonus in Shogun 2 does any good, so I changed it.
    Choshu had many great generals and strategists who led Choshu to victory in Boshin War. Why no bigger, greater bonus, such as movement range?

Also, my tedious tests proved AI Choshu was actually killing themselves by an AI malfunction.
    That was why Choshu was always being crushed like worm even though they are normal difficulty in player's hand.
    So I completely reworked its starting situation, and did almost 100 different solutions and test plays to do that.
    (Historically, Iwakuni Domain was kinda vassal state of Choshu anyway)

Katsura Kogoro or Kido Takayoshi : google it.

Aizu
    The Protectors

Aizu is ruled by the Matsudaira clan. The Aizu-Matsudaira family owes its position, and even the family name, entirely to the Tokugawa shogunate. Matsudaira Katamori, the lord of Aizu was recently appointed the Protector of Kyoto, which was nothing but a perilous suicide mission to the Aizu domain and its people. He reluctantly accepted this dangerous position and led Aizu armies into Kyoto to protect the Emperor from the traitors. Also, to protect Kyoto from the Imperialists, the Matsudaira sponsored Shinsengumi, a Ronin police force loyal to the Shogunate.

- Faction leader : Matsudaira Katamori now has historically accurate model.
    - White Tiger Force : Slightly increased stats.
    - Black Turtoise Force : Accuracy increased.
    - Starting province : Kyoto
    - Starting ally faction : Kuwana, Sendai
    - Starting Vassal : Aizu Elders(Region : Fukushima)
    - War tax : replacing Tradition, +5% to tax rate
    - Bushido : -10% -> -20% to recruitment costs of traditional units
    - Starting Shinsengumi renamed : Saito Hajime
    - Starting General renamed : Yamakawa Okura

Note : I gave Kyoto to Aizu without buff and only for historical accuracy, and it made its difficulty into 'legendary', and also caused AI malfunction.
    I have decided the change of their starting province.
    I want them to be REAL defenders of Kyoto(Kyoto-Shugoshoku) and the Vanguard of the Shogunate in Imperialist Campaign,
    and wanted Aizu players to experience real 'Bakumatsu(Late Tokugawa Shogunate period)' as a defender of Kyoto.

FotS trad units usually come with 'expiration date' (in Korean gamer slang...) and do no good after mid-game, and that's exactly why this game is named 'Fall of the Samurai'.
    So I thought it should be no problem even if cost bonus is doubled, for EXP bonus is now gone and Shinsengumi is limited to 3 units max.
    Also, Aizu can use Kyoto Mimawarigumi Police Force as well now.

Yamakawa Okura : He changed his name into Hiroshi AFTER the Boshin War.

Saito Hajime : Rather well-known Shinsengumi agent who survived the war and served in Seinan War as Imperial soldier also.
    (Many samurais of Aizu joined expedition force during Seinan War from their old hatred against Satsuma)

Sendai

- Starting General renamed : Date Kunishige

Agent Rework

- Shinsengumi : Skills give more bonuses to public order and conversion.
    - Ishin Shishi : Skills give has more bonuses to inciting revolt.

Note : Considering their historical role, I felt their role in game is the reverse.
    Historically, Ishin Shishi agents usually conducted political assassinations of Shogunate Samurais and Rangaku Scholars(foreign studies) while inciting Nationalist revolts,
    and Shinsengumi agents usually chased them down personally and maintained peace through many violent actions.

- Womanizer : Now gives very small amount of movement range bonus.

Note : Who the hell made this trait?

Immorality option

- Every single one of starting general characters now have immortality option.
    Even if they fall in battle, they respawn in clan capital after few turns.

Note : Who wants randomly generated riffraffs and Historical clans ruled by widows?
    Use your starting generals wisely, for they are no longer feeble soldiers!

Victory Condition Rework

Fukushima(Aizu) added to victory condition for following Imperial factions, ONLY for long, domination campaigns :
    Satsuma, Choshu, Tosa, Saga
    : see Battle of Aizu(or Aizu War)

Nagato(Choshu) added to victory condition for following Shogunate factions :
    Aizu, Sendai
    : see Choshu expedition

- Now you must hold 20 regions under your direct control in Short Campaign.

Campaign rework

- Prestige(Fame) value per vassal is reduced to 1.
    - Realm divide options give more bonuses.
    Republic : +2 to happiness(factionwide), increased tax rate.
    Shogunate : +2 to morale for friendly units(factionwide)
    Imperial : -1 to enemy morale(factionwide)

- Buff buildings :
    Tier 1 Training Camp : Build time 3 -> 1.
    Tier 2 Military Hospital : Build time 5 -> 1. Replenishment bonus 50% -> 30%.
    Tier 2 buildings : Build time is 5 -> 7

Note : What good is Military Hospital if it can't be built in the front?
    You can build it much faster and cheaper in the front to help your armies replenish faster,
    but tier 2 buff buildings take same build time as a result.

- AI will build railway ASAP no matter what their policy is.

Note : Waging war to ally just because they won't build railway I need? How terrible.
    This change is made only to stop that nonsense.

Economy rework

- Increased income from early buildings, and lowered overall building, land/naval unit costs, upkeep greatly.
    - Decreased town growth from buildings in half.
    - Doubled Short Campaign research rate bonus.

AI Cheat rework

- Battle : same morale penalty applies to AI from following reason : Death or flight of generals
    - Campaign map : following AI cheats are reduced or removed : movement range.
    - AI cheat reworked.
    - AI will research much faster and actually recruit many late units in endgame.
    - Minor clans will get financial penalties.
    - AI will no longer harass players with Navy.
    - AI armies/fleets will have slightly shorter campaign movement range than player's.

Note : I just hated it. Your Daimyo is dead, you sons of whores! RUN!
    AI will be more deadly if left unchecked and will develop more late game units, but (hopefully) will no longer give players frustration or steamrolling job.
    You will see more playable factions actually served main role in Boshin War growing stronger.

Also, AI always bombards structures with small, cheap fleet. Player just couldn't block it no matter how strong their fleets are,
    and AI could make players suffer great economic disaster with only a couple of gunboats.
    AI will no longer cause such frustration which does not improve campaign experience at all.

Unit rework

- Kisho Ninja : Replaced with 'Kogatai Ninja'
    Historically, Ninja soldiers of Koga asked the Shogunate for employment through centuries, but Shogunate turned them down.
    They served in Imperialist Army as small, but modernized special unit called 'Kogatai(Koga Company)' to avenge their insults.

They are can shoot enemies from stealth. They are snipers with deadly charge,
    but they are very vulnerable in melee and will be hunted down if they get discovered by enemy.

Shogunate factions can only recruit them in Traditional Dojo chain, but Imperialist factions also can recruit them in tier 3-4 propaganda buildings.

- Kyoto Police : Replaced with 'Kyoto Mimawarigumi Police Force'.
    They are basically Shinsengumi with lower stats and old matchlock.
    As I mentioned, I didn't like Shinsengumi is being the bulk of Shogunate armies.
    Instead of Shinsengumi you can use this unit, which serves very important role in early game.

But remember : they will be outdated very soon, for their stat and weapon is far worse than Shinsengumi and they also have max unit cap of 3.
    I made this change to help Aizu defend Kyoto(or conquer Imperialist domains around Kyoto).

- Armstrong Gun : Now have max unit cap of 6 and has only 1 gun per unit. AI will recruit these killing machines more often. Greatly increased amount of its ammunition.
    - Parrot Gun : Now have max unit cap of 6 and has 2 guns per unit. Greatly increased amount of its ammunition.
    - Gatling Gun : Now have max unit cap of 3 and has 2 guns per unit. Range, ammo and the lethality of bullets are greatly increased.
    - Artillery units have better battle movement speed and better movement range in Campaign map.

Note : Artillery units were simply overpowered. They could kill 400+ men with only one unit!
    I thought they needed some nerf seriously. They now have more ammo or better stat, as a reimbursement to their nerf, which worked great.
    And their bad movement range only caused frustration. I changed it.

- Shinsengumi Police Force : Reduced size to 120, have greater stats and fearsome 'second wind' ability, but only can be recruited 3 units max. Now recruitable from tier 3-4 propaganda building.
    Now has "Second Wind" ability and greater stats.

Note : Shinsengumi only had 200 men at its peak. I wanted them to be heroic unit leading the battle, definitely not the bulk of Shogunate Army. They are special, secrect police force.

- Yari Ki : Now have more charge bonus, but weaker in prolonged melee, just like Yari Cavarly in Shogun 2. Also, overall movement speed is decreased. Well, men are wearing heavy armour!
    - Sabre Cavalry : Have increased speed and its cost is lowered. Better in prolonged melee.

- Many infantry units with rifle use bayonet in melee now. Some poorly trained militia or units with exceptional swordsmanship(like Shinsengumi) will still use their Katana.

- Unit HP is increased by 1(+50%), and damage of ranged weapon was increased by 20-30% to adjust overly fast battle speed of Shogun 2.

- Guns : Gunpowder weapons have adjusted range, but the gap is not critical. Your old-styled infantry can still deal some damage to modern infantry units if used wisely.

- Bayonets : Modern Gunpowder weapons now have shiny and razor-sharp bayonets!
    Most modern units use bayonet in close combat with few exceptions.

Goal is simple : to save Choshu from early annihilation, and to make real 'Boshin War' between Shogunate and Imperial forces.
    I understand that Choshu was on the brink of total annihilation in 1864, but who wants Boshin war without Choshu? They need some remedy.

As Shogunate factions, you must defeat Choshu, the leading domain of Sonno Joi movement and complete Choshu expedition to win campaign.
    As Imperial factions, you must defeat strongest and most resilient Shogunate loyalist faction, the Aizu domain.

Some factions don't have this changed victory conditions. That's because they were not 'major factions' in Boshin war itself.

+ I tried to make change on Tosa Rifleman for historical accuracy. Their weapon actually could fire 15-20 rounds per minute.
    And I thought it would make very unique and interesting unit if they have that high RoF and low accuracy(they made hell lot of smoke), but I failed to adjust the animation.
    (FYI, other rifles and matchlocks have historically reasonable RoF)

+ Man, fixing AI Choshu suicide was one tough job.
    Last edited by Torment1234; August 04, 2017 at 12:03 PM.

Default Re: Ninja's Total War mod - Fall of the Samurai Rework

Current issue : Shogun 2 mod manager is not working when I trying to update any mod.

It is only a possibility, but I may use google drive for new versions if there is any updates. I don't feel like I need one for now though.

I got hella personal works to do, and I need some rest, so Shogun 2 rework 1.0 version will be released later in August - September.

Hotfix : From day 1, I KNOW. Choshu AI malfunction happened again.

It is because Choshu is sending all armies into Kyushu to help Kokura(Ally) and gets backstabbed by its enemies from the mainland.
    And goddamned S2 Mod manager is not working again. Hotfix is up.
    Last edited by Torment1234; July 24, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

This is my FIRST SUCCESSFUL UPDATE with Shogun 2 mod manager ever. I'm filled with overwhelming joy. God damn it.
    More like a minor hotfix, but I insisted on writing notes for it.

1.01 patch notes
    27 July 2017

- HP / Firepower : Reverted back to original.

Note : I tried HP remake, and it was failure. I'll revert it back to original until I find better answer.
    I want to make Shogun 2 battle slightly slower than now(more precisely, reduced lethality),
    but this only applies to ranged weapons. Shame.
    Only ranged weapons were under the influence of HP buff, so it almost became 'Return of the Samurai'.

- Castle : Now provides replenishment bonus from tier 4.

Note : Actually, this is a buff for Choshu and Aizu, which have high tier castles from the beginning.
    Also a reimbursement to Military Hospital nerf.

Patch File

- Aizu - War Tax : 5% -> 10% to tax rate

Note : Aizu was even harder than I thought or intended.
    Last edited by Torment1234; July 25, 2017 at 09:30 PM.

1.01 Known issues :

- AI agents : Too many and too annoying. Will greatly reduce AI agent cap(if impossible to do so, success chance) in 1.02.
    - AI Naval harassment : One of main issue, and AI is still doing it.
    - Armstrong gun : Will be 2 guns per unit in 1.02. Nerfed too much.
    - Endgame : Fund becomes too absurdly abundant, Steamrolling issue.
    - Turncoat Aizu : Aizu is betraying Shogunate when it is AI-controlled. and DAT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD.

To reduce endgame fund(which is almost cheat-like!), I think I should nerf technology effects as well.
    And growth effects will be nerfed even more. Instead, some buildings will provide more income.

There is no limit in Shogun 2 'Town growth', so it reaches 10k+ in Endgame. Doesn't look good.

New Unit : I will add a new Satsuma faction unit in 1.02. It is faction unique and historical.

1.02 Patch mod plans

- Will be great change in agent skills in 1.02, mainly emphasizing Ishin Shishi and Shinsengumi agents' concept.
    (Ishin Shishi as revolutionaries and terrorists, Shinsengumi as vicious secret police)

- I'm thinking about changing Aizu tax rate faction trait into something else.
    It's historical, but it is only helping overly booming endgame economy.
    It should be, and will be something that helps Aizu in their hardcore early game.
    (Can be reverted back to Original trait...XD)

31 July 2017

New Faction Unique Unit

Sekihotai

Faction unique unit for Satsuma.

Historically, these militia soldiers were an Imperialist rebels served Satsuma domain, but later hunted down and disbanded by Imperialist government, for their 'impersonation of Imperial soldiers'. Some claims their demise was a betrayal and a false charge by Imperialist Army and Satsuma who promised a tax cut to Sekihotai, which they couldn't afford. Their 'betrayal' is still a controversial subject.

- 240 men per unit, 3 units max
    - Very high morale
    - Poor accuracy and reloading skill
    - Average melee skill

- Required technology : Domain and the Realm
    - Can be recruited in Propaganda chain building(Tier 1-4)

Units

- Shinsengumi Police Force : Increased melee attack, melee defence, charge bonus, morale.

Note : They were reduced to 120 men per unit, and they were underpowered by that number alone.

- Armstrong Gun : Now have 2 guns per unit.

Note : Simply one Armstrong gun couldn't outmatch two Parrot guns.

Technology

Reduced overall Town growth, Reduction of administration costs, Unit upkeep, Tax rate bonus by technology.

Note : Wanted to nerf endgame budget which was almost absurdly abundant.
    I can't make great change like Rome 2 due to limits of the game, but I will do what I can.

AI difficulty handicap effects

- Added Town growth values.
    - Major clans : Reduced maximum number of AI agents. (1 in Easy and Normal, 2 in higher difficulty level)
    - Minor clans : Can no longer use agents.

Note : It was even worse than Rome 2. I'm not sure if agent key is working or not just yet.
    If you ever to see minor clan agents or 3+ same kind of agents from the same clan, please leave a bug report.

Faction traits

- All changes were reverted back to Vanilla except :

Choshu - Vanguard(+20% to campaign movement range, originally Looting bonus)
    Satsuma - Dominion(starting with additional fund, originally 'starting with two regions')

Patch file

Now only rebalances Ishin shishi and Shinsengumi agent skills.
    Completely reworked agent skill tree.

- Shinsengumi : Specialized in Army buff, Assassination, Public order.

Possible maximum attribute level of each action

Propaganda 4
    Inciting revolt 3
    Bribe 4
    Public order 5
    Assassination 4
    Army buff 4 (melee defence)

Shinsengumi Skill tree effects

Tier 3 Taskmaster : *Instill discipline +1, +2 to the melee attack of all units in the army in which this man is embedded
    Tier 4 Discipline : *Instill discipline +1, +5 to the charge bonus of all units in the army in which this man is embedded

Tier 1 Intimidator : +5% to the chances of killing enemy agents in self-defence
    Tier 1 Vicdicator : +5% to the chances of killing enemy agents in self-defence
    Tier 5 Secret Agent : +10% to the chances of killing enemy agents in self-defence

Tier 4 Antagonism : Chances of killing enemy agents in self-defence(15%) were removed,
    Now -15% to the cost of shinsengumi action.

- Ishin Shishi : Specialized in political support(propaganda), Inciting revolt.

Possible maximum attribute level of each action

Propaganda 5
    Inciting revolt 5
    Bribe 5
    Public order 3
    Assassination 3
    Army buff 3 (charge bonus)

Language

Now supports Korean version.
    Last edited by Torment1234; July 30, 2017 at 11:56 PM.

1.03 Preview

- AI cheat : I liked new AI but AI had bit too much bonuses and they caused late game steamrolling and frustration, which I hate the most.
    Some values will be adjusted accordingly, mainly for the Normal difficulty.

- AI agents : Nerfed them but still thinking about this issue. I want to reduce AI agent number, but I couldn't. I think I gotta reduce critical chance of AI agents to zero.

- Units : Big buff for Carbine Cav, and rather small buff for Revolver Cav. Revolver Cav can no longer use Cantabrian circle ability.

- New unit : Thinking about adding Tier 4 Elite Shinsengumi unit for the late game(and nerfing current Shinsengumi Unit slightly), but I'm having some difficulties.

- Defenses : Castle batteries will be nerfed. AI factions are actually building those, which is very impressive, but kinda overpowered now.

- Arty : Overall Unit Cap will be slightly increased. I want to stop AI from recruiting Wooden Cannons in late game, but I cannot do it just yet.

1.03 Patch
    19 August 2017

Difficulty level cheat

- AI : Reduced cheat on low difficulty level. (Research, income, upkeep...)

Note : Tried to reduce steamrolling.

Building

- Economic Growth : Decreased in half(Almost)

- Income : Higher in low tier buildings, lower in high tier buildings.

Note : To provide players with more challenging late game.

Unit

Carbine - Effective range is increased to 175.

Revolver - Effective range is increased to 80.

3, 4 Tier Infantry Units

Imperial - Increased Charge bonus, melee attack
    Shogunate - Increased Accuracy, Reloading
    Republic - Increased Morale

Applies to Infantry(3 Tier), and Guard Infantry(4 Tier).

Aizu Unique Units

Azure Dragon, Vermilion Bird - Have increased melee capability and better charge.

Note : More unique late game units. Not bad, huh?
    And I'm trying to make Bayonet charges better option in battle.
    Especially for Aizu Unique units and Imperial late infantries.

Aizu Unique units had no use whatsoever because you don't need them at all as soon as you get Shogunate Inf.
    I tried to make them useful in Traditional armies, with good melee capability. BANZAI!!!

Kogatai Ninja - Have increased melee attack and charge bonus.

Kyoto Mimawarigumi Police Force - Now uses Musket instead of Matchlock. (Range - 165)
    Increased accuracy and reloading skill, decreased melee attack and charge bonus.

Note : Mimawarigumi became little Shinsengumi and I didn't like that very much. Now they have better rifles.

AI

- Major Factions : AI Aizu, Choshu won't switch their allegiance any longer.(But the player can)

- Minor Factions : Gets great penalties in recruitment and unit upkeep.

- AI Agents : Gets greatly reduced success chance.

Note : I want to make Boshin war into clash of powerful major factions. That's all.

Thanku

Is this mod still valid? Mod Manager 3.0 is not detecting it.

I have the file from the first post in the Data folder for my game.

I have adjusted the data path for Mod Manager 3.0 to the folder for the Steam location.

Picks up no mod files. I can launch the game just fine but the adjustments listed in the posts above do not take effect.

Help?

What happened to this mod? I paired it up with Darthmod and increased units for FotS and it ran perfectly. I had the most fun Aizu campaign going on before this mod disappeared from the Steam workshop. Is there any chance you'd bring it back? Please do.