Thread: Soviet Union Lands On The Moon First.

Default Soviet Union Lands On The Moon First.

What happens if the Soviet Union reaches the moon first? It's a good question that helps explain the historical meaning of the space race.

if the USSR reaches the Moon first, NASA almost certainly has to go to Mars. I just can't imagine the cultural horror of American history books teaching to American children the first words uttered on the moon as quoted by a Soviet astronaut. The ultimate propaganda victory over capitalism if there ever was one.

That said, space races are incredibly expensive, and the billions of dollars -not to mention human and resource capital- that goes into funding one is going to drain both countries economically and perhaps lead to an earlier collapse for the Soviets.

Last edited by Dick Cheney.; March 19, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Allied to the House of Hader
    Member of the Cheney/Berlusconi Pact

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Soviet Union Lands On The Moon First.

US government would send someone on moon to replace Soviet flag with US flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Probably a lot more investment into Space during the 70s and the 80s by both sides, as the race would continue.

Likely larger space stations, more Moon landings by both sides, but I doubt anything else would come of it.

Permanent settlement or a Mars mission would be too much for the technology of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Cheney. View Post
    What happens if the Soviet Union reaches the moon first? It's a good question that helps explain the historical meaning of the space race and adds helpful insight about a future space race to Mars.

if the USSR reaches the Moon first, NASA almost certainly has to go to Mars. I just can't imagine the cultural horror of American history books teaching to American children the first words uttered on the moon as quoted by a Soviet astronaut. The ultimate propaganda victory over capitalism if there ever was one.

That said, space races are incredibly expensive, and the hundreds of billions of dollars -not to mention human and resource capital- that goes into funding one is going to drain both countries economically and perhaps lead to an earlier collapse for the Soviets.

The space race was doomed to die. Nazi and Stalin era scientists can't live forever.

If that happen I can imagine Jimmy Carter holding a secret meeting with NASA officials and astronauts, informing them of a new secret project to out-do the Soviets:
    "You will land on the sun!"
    "But sir, it is too hot to even approach it!"
    "What, do you think I'm an idiot? You will fly at night!"

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@HH - why the crack at Carter?

---------

I would guess doubling down by the US in terms of resources. Mars seems the obvious stated goal but I think more likely is Dyson gets his funding and Project Orion gets a green light. A flag planting on Alpha Centauri in 2 centuries or so does not really work for the now... So maybe a flag planting on Titan would be dramatic enough and show off the fancy speed potential of Orion.
    Last edited by conon394; July 03, 2018 at 07:12 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

In order for the Soviets to reach the moon first they would need a more powerful rocket than the same one they've been using fo previous missions. The main Soviet engineer, sadly I can't recall his name, had repeatedly requested funding for this project, but Khrushchev kept rejecting him in favour of public housing and infrastructural funding.

Eventually Khrushchev agreed, the main engineer had died before or shortly after getting funding, again I don't recall exactly, but the US had already landed on the Moon. In order to be the first again, the Soviets, instead of following the Americans, decided to build the first space station. Nevertheless the Soviet economy was in shambles and they were unable to fund any new breakthroughs on their own.

With them out of the race "doing what was hard, to paraphrase Kennedy, was no longer necessary, and that is why no Human has landed on Mars to this day.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω July 03, 2018 at 12:43 PM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει