Thread: BATTLE REPORT AAR: Second Dutch spainish war ( war of dutch indipendence) Battle of the Boarders [ River crossing]

Icon1 BATTLE REPORT AAR: Second Dutch spainish war ( war of dutch indipendence) Battle of the Boarders [ River crossing]

Battle Report

WAR OF DUTCH INDEPENDENCE
    Second Dutch Spanish War

BATTLE OF THE BORDERS

Setting of Situations:

In the beginning of this the Second war between my Growing Dutch United provinces, and the vast Empire that is Spain the year would be 1765. As one could imagine being the second war now, and one previous battle the year before hand of this one ,between the people of the self proclaiming independent Dutch and the historically talented campaigning Spain fighting has been immense. looking here as what was the second battle of this war it found sheer significance, for it turned the tide greatly for my united standing dutch, of which in 3 years time, from 1764- 1767 the Dutch fought for and held both Flanders as well as the Rhineland to which were previously occupied by the Spanish. this battle set in course the plan to what would shake and rock the world of the Spanish colonies of central Europe.

some side notes: the settings for the campaign are M/H.. i know i know what some are thinking medium.. campaign setting. but to be fair this one was my first empire campaign ever and i didnt want to get completely swamped by war not knowing the game mechanics stuff building outside capitals and such naval battles and what not. HOWEVER i do come from medieval total war 1 2 kingdoms and stainless steel. also time in with age of empires and loving the history of the american revolutionary war of 1776 you catch my drift. it did kick of heavy once i came back to this game and time has gone by and this is when this action takes off. remember no cheats or what not this is all legit ( dont think you can cheat this but have to make clear ) if i lost this battle i would had been F.. you know. in the Europe. LETS BEGIN !
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PreBattle

The second battle between Dutch forces of Amsterdam and the Spanish colonies of Flanders was held between the two Provinces at the bridge crossing south west of the city of Amsterdam.
    The Lay of the land was ridged, and provided good defensive posters on most fronts. Heavy dense forests occasioned both sides. Providing good cover with optimal plain for open volley.
    The River had two crossings. One bridged another fording but access on two fronts could be achieved by both armies. With the Dutch at the start of this battle out numbered nearly 2 to 1.
    Utilisation of these crossings combined with strategically placed defensive would be the only possible win.

The Dutch Army

[IMG][/IMG]

The Army of the Dutch Held 2,462 Men in total. And was commanded by General Wybrand Langendijk with his main fighting Forces deployed to the Port of the Netherlands for defensive. Aswell as a Remaining Brigade ( i call full stacks Brigades as what goes higher then unit .. brigade) inside the city of Amsterdam. The Army of Spains colonies held 3,126 men. Commanders of the Dutch army rallied and discussed action plans for several hours before emerging. The decision was to split the army into two seperate, Equal contingents. Poise defensive posters against BOTH river crossings. Engage and harass the Spanish into attack.

Circled in yellow is the second position of the Dutch held lines. to there north east was the position of reinforcing units from the home dutch brigade.

The Spanish Army

[IMG][/IMG]

The Spanish Army from all intelligence gathered before and during as well as after the battle was interesting to say the least. As said before there total numbers before battle consisted of 3,126 men including artillery, Line infantry and regiments of horse. Commanded by Colonel Christian Velasquez , Their Conduct before battle was continuous. Marching there men tirelessly around there end of the field of battle. As i would pan over there units. most were tired from the lack of confidence in there generals decisions to deploy to one side after another.

Never the less their army was staggering . and the utmost caution against them was and had to be taken.

Battles Start

Harassing fire from the eastern side fording access artillery regiments of the Dutch began opening fire of positioned Spanish in range of the Fixed artillery guns. After 20 minutes ( real time ) the Spanish ordered several Regiments of horse and line infantry across the fording depth. previous engagements from the General and staff of the Dutch on an open Spanish artillery regiment were also successful. Also likely leading reasons to the Spanish first assault.

casualties from the first of the major engagements in this battle would appear devastating for the Spanish. However, Undeterred by such a loss. there regroup and reform, back on their side of the river banks made sigh the dutch commanders. A long drawn out battle would likely be had. Re organising the units Commanders on both sides called in reinforcements for the losses sustained in the first engagement. preparations for an assault across the western bridge were well underway in the war command tents of the dutch. If they could just gain ground across the river. and form up lines, the dutch could squeeze the Spanish into tight cross fire battle. eventually fording across the eastern river bank and coming into what would be the rear of the Spanish lines.

In order for the Dutch commanders to successfully cross the river on one side. the realised they would need to divert attentions to the other. Choosing the bridge side seem more optimal for the crossing. To this point in the battle. The bridge defending western contingent had seen no fighting. The Spanish stuck to just the one assault on the eastern fording depth after the loss of an artillery regiment. General Wybrand retreated from battle after engaging him self the spainish artillery leaving the colonels of his army in command. whom quickly ceased the opportunity. and moved 4 different regiments of line infantry across to poise against the Spanish main line. Two regiments from the Eastern Fording Depth were dispatched to "make noise" and occupy what they could. Upon the realisation of the action. Spain suddenly split their army in two. Equalling the oncoming crossing Dutch for defensive from the west. and amassing more then what the Eastern Fording depth had in defence. The second assault from Spain on the eastern fording depth swept aside the two diverting contingents ( seen above ) whilst crossing the river. As well as defending the on coming dutch from the western bridge.

The Battle's Belly

The Action of splitting their army would prove devastatingly fatal for Spain. On order of the Artillery commanders, and with the reinforcing Dutch contingents from the north east. a rain or bombardment and defensive posters were brought forth to the eastern fording depth by the Dutch. What ensued, was a massive second assult the Spainish . and an utter crushing defensive by the Dutch. Including multiple directed volleys, pitched battles and charges by the Dutch dragoons. Artillery all the while raining down upon the lining and attempted struggling push of Spain.

[IMG][/IMG]

With the Second failed assault on the Eastern Fording depth. more forces were directed to the Western bridge. Crossing it aiding the men already on the other side of the river volleying with the defending Spanish . recovery from the Second assault would prove very difficult for spain . and slowly but surely the Dutch Cleaned up the area and pushed fully across the river crossings.

[IMG]

The AfterMath

Having Fought one battle similar to this with a loss the Dutch had finally found retribution for the losses. With Spainish dead and dying scouring the area. and the distant foreground showed not but the routed Regiments of Spain. with the victorious cries of pro-suing Dutch contingents behind them the tide of the war looked greatly turned.

[IMG]

With the final Spanish contingents routed, Victory was finally had. After four Gruelling hours ( REAL TIME! ) the battle was over. General Wybrand was not killed in the battle but still gained little to no honour on account of his routing. dispite a Heroic Victory and out cry from the state senate. with letters from the Head of the Army in the state house of commons. no action was taken for his efforts.

[IMG]

The Spanish had committed much of there fighting forces toward the battle of the borders. With its loss, they yet still fought honourably and more bravely then ever. Battering the Dutch killing 1,388. Yet with the utter staggering defeat with 2,465 losses, there reform and regrouping efforts would prove hard tasked.

[IMG]

Postlude to the battle the Dutch Government prepared for all out invasion. with there fathers, sons , brothers and husbands so Victorious . the People of The Netherlands Cried out to be freed. Proud and sight struck. the Government and people of the United Provinces prepared for the invasion of Independence . Through a series of battles such as this . did finally the Dutch see the Tri- colonies born. The Netherlands, Flanders as well as the Rhineland. Would fly United Provinces flags.

In the year following 1767, 2 years after the grand and glorious Battle of the Borders. The Dutch Government held Summits with the Monarchy and house of Government of Spain. With Peace and prosperity in mind the Dutch open wary negotiations. Following such a massive force frontal and successful invasion. Surely, Spain would not accept. To there surprise. the Spainish government handed back an counter offer. Peace. and Trade. The House of Commons of the Dutch people erupted with cheer. " an independence for your nation gained is one thing. But accepted by the enemy is another." the president closed the statement at the end of the final turn.

OUTRO:

i can not thank you all enough for the visit. i hope my AAR was to everyones taste. ive had a few before but i think this is my best. please comment like tell people i love to share the stories of our glorious and grand times of all total war games. live strong and fight on comrades. more to come !!!!
    Last edited by Speekerofages; July 22, 2017 at 08:58 PM.