Thread: Anybody use entirely gunpowder armies?

USSJ's Avatar Laetus

Default Anybody use entirely gunpowder armies?

you're more likely to do it for empire/napoleon but still.
    an army of nothing but musketeers and gun cav and arty. would that be effective if commanded right? (plus some pikes for holding the line)

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Anybody use entirely gunpowder armies?

Never gone with Only gunpowder, but I do like to experiment with battery armies, which are armies with a large amount of cannons - basically bringing napoleonic warfare into the medieval era.
    Those kinds of armies usually fare well with musketeers and gunpowder cavalry for support, since the gunpowder weapons demoralize the enemy into routing, but they suffer heavily if the enemy ever reaches the main line - and they do that often...
    I would say that the best strategy is not using pikemen or other infantry for "holding the line", but rather use 4-6 units of cavalry to proactively intercept any enemies that get too close. If you manage to micro the cavalry effectively, it would definitely be a powerful army in field battles. The main problem would be that it would have problems with taking settlements without any infantry to close off streets and cut down defenders.
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by USSJ View Post
    (plus some pikes for holding the line)
    You buried the lead brother .

Check out this guide if you haven't before now :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?316825-TW-Guide-M2TW-How-to-Employ-Pikemen

Pikes FTW
    Last edited by UndrState; July 26, 2017 at 09:39 AM.

krazyfilmer123's Avatar Libertus

I don't usually use gunpowder units, and for that, I wouldn't use gunpowder armies. If do, they're musketeers, but archers support from behind. Otherwise, I stick to only using cannons for sieges and nothing else.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

The only time I even came close was with the original first Shogun with a peasant army. Even then each General was with a heavy cavalry bodyguard. I admit to a bit of fun that time though. Maybe it was a guilty pleasure of sorts. Truthfully, gunpowder changed war more than anything prior and nothing since until the mechanization / armor in WWI coupled with the air power has been as big of a 'game' changer.