Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Byzantines never achieved anything of value in their entire 1,000 year history?

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Byzantines never achieved anything of value in their entire 1,000 year history?

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Sanchez View Post
    He holds the Gospel.
    Interesting! But isn't that historically unrealistic? I thought the gospel was written after he died?

And if it depicts the concept of Jesus in heaven after the resurrection, how would he obtain a copy of the book? Unless it is meant to be a figurative representation of an abstract concept, i.e. you can read about Jesus in the gospels. It is a bit confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: The Byzantines never achieved anything of value in their entire 1,000 year history?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Interesting! But isn't that historically unrealistic? I thought the gospel was written after he died?

And if it depicts the concept of Jesus in heaven after the resurrection, how would he obtain a copy of the book? Unless it is meant to be a figurative representation of an abstract concept, i.e. you can read about Jesus in the gospels. It is a bit confusing.
    Curan was not writen by Prophet either. Am I right? In fact the ONLY Achtiname Prophet "signed" with His palm was His degree about Christians.
    Now the 2nd part of the answer of what Byzantines achieved comes to the end of the following video

See 25:30
    But worth to see both videos from start to the end because they contain some truths we simply chose to ignore today.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Thanks for posting, Anthonius II. I'm looking forward to see the video when i get home from work tonight.

Byzantium is an interesting historical subject for the Greek nation i think because the modern nation seems to connect with the ancient Hellenistic civilisation for tourism purposes. But actually i wonder if the traditional culture we find in Greece today is more connected to the Byzantine period?
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Seems more of a way of legitimizing the Gospels.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Thanks for posting, Anthonius II. I'm looking forward to see the video when i get home from work tonight.

Byzantium is an interesting historical subject for the Greek nation i think because the modern nation seems to connect with the ancient Hellenistic civilisation for tourism purposes. But actually i wonder if the traditional culture we find in Greece today is more connected to the Byzantine period?
    In fact "Greeks" never bypassed Rome (what you call Byzantine).
    For Greeks that still call themselvs Romioi (romans) the time is quite relative.
    In Church chants and prieches are ussing the SAME hellenistic-Roman language of the 4th-15th century (when you hear this chunt you can hear how the byzantines realy spoke).
    Translation of the chunt lyrics

God is with us, know this, nations and be defeated.
    For God is with us.
    Harken to the ends of the Earth,
    For God is with us.
    Ye mighty, be conquered,
    For God is with us.
    For if again ye prevail, again shall ye be conquered.
    For God is with us.
    And whatever plan ye shall create, the Lord shall scatter.
    For God is with us.
    And any word ye shall utter, it shall not dwell in ye,
    For God is with us.
    And we shall not be afraid with your fear, nor shall we be perturbed.
    For God is with us.
    The Lord our God we shall bless, and He will be our fear.
    For God is with us.
    And if I shall be obedient to Him, it shall be to my sanctification.
    For God is with us.
    And I shall be obedient to Him, and through Him I shall be saved.
    For God is with us.
    Behold, here I and the children that God hath given me.
    For God with us.
    The people that wandered in the dark hath seen great light.
    For God is with us.
    We who dwell in the land and the shadow of death, light shall shine on us.
    For God is with us.
    For a Child hath been born to us, a Son, and He hath been given to us.
    For God is with us.
    No beginning was created on His shoulder.
    For God is with us.
    And of His peace there is no boundary.
    For God is with us.
    And His name is called: an Angel of Great Will.
    For God is with us.
    Wonderful Counsellor.
    For God is with us.
    The Mighty God, the Sovereign, the Prince of Peace.
    For God is with us.
    The Father of the everlasting ages.
    For God is with us.
    Glory to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    For God is with us.
    Now and ever and unto the ages of ages.
    For God is with us.
    God is with us, know this ,nations and be defeated, for God is with us.

Its forbiten to be changed.
    Their bond today is the Church -the one of the 1st Counsils- that define their identity and their past.
    Its true though that since the foundation of the New Greek state almost 200 years ago, Greeks have an identity conflict that was created by the 19th century French that loved Hellenic antiquity and wanted to errase that Roman past from Greeks. The matter is quite complicated and not for this thread to debate on.
    Few facts to remember:
    Greeks WERE NOT the only Roman Citizens
    Hellenistic language became official state language in Heracleius reign.
    Greeks were THE LAST Roman citizens untill 1453 that 2nd Rome fell.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; July 31, 2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Adding translation
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    For Greeks that still call themselvs Romioi (romans) the time is quite relative.
    In Church chants and prieches are ussing the SAME hellenistic-Roman language of the 4th-15th century (when you hear this chunt you can hear how the byzantines realy spoke).
    Translation of the chunt lyrics

God is with us, know this, nations and be defeated.
    For God is with us.
    Harken to the ends of the Earth,
    For God is with us.
    Ye mighty, be conquered,
    For God is with us.
    For if again ye prevail, again shall ye be conquered.
    For God is with us.
    And whatever plan ye shall create, the Lord shall scatter.
    For God is with us.
    And any word ye shall utter, it shall not dwell in ye,
    For God is with us.
    And we shall not be afraid with your fear, nor shall we be perturbed.
    For God is with us.
    The Lord our God we shall bless, and He will be our fear.
    For God is with us.
    And if I shall be obedient to Him, it shall be to my sanctification.
    For God is with us.
    And I shall be obedient to Him, and through Him I shall be saved.
    For God is with us.
    Behold, here I and the children that God hath given me.
    For God with us.
    The people that wandered in the dark hath seen great light.
    For God is with us.
    We who dwell in the land and the shadow of death, light shall shine on us.
    For God is with us.
    For a Child hath been born to us, a Son, and He hath been given to us.
    For God is with us.
    No beginning was created on His shoulder.
    For God is with us.
    And of His peace there is no boundary.
    For God is with us.
    And His name is called: an Angel of Great Will.
    For God is with us.
    Wonderful Counsellor.
    For God is with us.
    The Mighty God, the Sovereign, the Prince of Peace.
    For God is with us.
    The Father of the everlasting ages.
    For God is with us.
    Glory to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    For God is with us.
    Now and ever and unto the ages of ages.
    For God is with us.
    God is with us, know this ,nations and be defeated, for God is with us.

Its forbiten to be changed.
    Their bond today is the Church -the one of the 1st Counsils- that define their identity and their past.
    Its true though that since the foundation of the New Greek state almost 200 years ago, Greeks have an identity conflict that was created by the 19th century French that loved Hellenic antiquity and wanted to errase that Roman past from Greeks. The matter is quite complicated and not for this thread to debate on.
    Few facts to remember:
    ...and after that they basically became either subjects of the Ottoman Empire or that of the Venetian Republic. Many of those under Venetian rule converted to Catholicism, like many had when the Latin Empire was established in the 13th century following the Fourth Crusade. Many of those under Ottoman rule converted to Sunni Islam and/or joined the Janissary corps. However, what lived on in both Venetian and Ottoman-held territories was the original Greek Orthodox Church, one of the last vestiges of the fallen medieval Eastern Roman Empire. Bartholomew I of Constantinople, the current Archbishop and Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, is a representative of that ancient office, if not the living, breathing embodiment of the whole tradition itself.

Everything is quite simple really. The Gospel was written after the death of Jesus Christ and after His Resurrection. If this image were an illustration of the evangelical events, the earthly life of Jesus Christ, then it would be illogical.

But it's a icon, and the icon is often symbolic. The Gospel is the teaching of Jesus Christ recorded by his disciples, He keeps it as his true author.
    Also the Gospel is a symbol of Jesus Christ. For example, before the confession, a Christian kisses the Gospel, which lies on the throne and symbolizes Jesus Christ as king on the throne. Also during the Liturgy, the priest takes out the Gospel from the altar as a symbol of Jesus Christ, and his presence in this place at this moment.

On the other hand, he is God, and just finished his earthly life, but didn't end his presence in the world (Matthew 28:20). In this sense, He too can keep the Gospel in His hands

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    ...and after that they basically became either subjects of the Ottoman Empire or that of the Venetian Republic. Many of those under Venetian rule converted to Catholicism, like many had when the Latin Empire was established in the 13th century following the Fourth Crusade. Many of those under Ottoman rule converted to Sunni Islam and/or joined the Janissary corps. However, what lived on in both Venetian and Ottoman-held territories was the original Greek Orthodox Church, one of the last vestiges of the fallen medieval Eastern Roman Empire. Bartholomew I of Constantinople, the current Archbishop and Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, is a representative of that ancient office, if not the living, breathing embodiment of the whole tradition itself.
    In fact there are places that Roman Empire still exists (calendar/time/tradition/language).
    Those are the Monasteries and espesialy those in Holly Lands. Closer to Europe Roman Empire exists in the Athos (The autonomus state of the Patriarch of Constantinople with monks and monasteries from Orthodox Christians from all arround the world).
    For Educational purposes only:
    Mount Athos 60 minutes part 1
    Mount Athos 60 minutes part 2.
    Remember that Mount Athos became a monastic community after the will of the Emperor Nikephorus Phokas that financed St Athanasius (founder of the 1st Monastery in Athos) with his promise that when the legitimate Emperors would take their thrones he would join as a simple Monk. When Ioannes Tzimiskes and his friends assasinated Nikephorus they found him sleeping on the floor with a monk's tunic.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Few facts to remember:
    This entire thread was written out of a semi-ignorant Western context that often tries to disconnect the "Roman" connection with the Balkans. The culture, cuisine, and traditions of the Eastern Roman Empire still exists today - in Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, and rather indirectly - in Russia. I hear Byzantine chant music every time I enter a church. In regards to cuisine, even modern Turkish cuisine is largely drawn from medieval Roman cuisine - much of which is shared throughout the territory of the former Eastern Roman Empire.

The fact of the matter is that most of the modern, non-Slavic nations of the Balkans still refer to themselves as Romans one way or another (Romioi - Greeks, Românii - Romanians, Rrãmãnjã - Aromanians, etc). Reading the chronicle of Theophylact Simocatta shows that before the 7th century, the Greek and Latin speaking peoples of the Balkans were all part of one nation, only to be eventually divided by Slavic settlement. One thing really neat about the modern day Romanian language (that cannot be found in any other Romance language) - it preserves a plethora of Latin military camp slang that stems from the time when an overwhelming number of soldiers and generals were recruited from the Danubian provinces of the empire.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    If you want to discuss that, please do so in another thread. The subject of this thread is the Byzantine Empire, and whether it achieved anything of value. Thank you.

In relation to the Byzantine infuence and cultural achievement in the Balkans and Russia, to what extent do those countries see themselves as successors of Byzantium? For example, Bulgaria seems to have been one of the main enemies of the empire during its existence. How are they Byzantine? And do people identify with Byzantium in Russia? Or is their connection only religious? To what extent did Byzantine culture influence the eastern European countries?
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; August 01, 2017 at 07:01 AM.

The subject of this thread is the Byzantine Empire, and whether it achieved anything of value. Thank you.

In relation to the Byzantine infuence and cultural achievement in the Balkans and Russia, to what extent do those countries see themselves as successors of Byzantium? For example, Bulgaria seems to have been one of the main enemies of the empire during its existence. How are they Byzantine? And do people identify with Byzantium in Russia? Or is their connection only religious? To what extent did Byzantine culture influence the eastern European countries?
    I hoped that you saw the videos.
    Inorder to understand that world we need to go to basics.
    1: There is ONLY Roman Empire and not Byzantine one.
    2: Since Council of Nikea ,Emperor does not own the Empire. The Empire and the entire Universe (oikoumene) belongs to God.
    Emperor simply serves God's Will on Earth and for that there CAN BE ONLY ONE EMPEROR. That justifies why Charlemagne was NEVER uknowleged as Roman Emperor since there was already one.
    3: Romans of the middle ages (many still call them byzantines) continue the practice to "allow" other human races to settle in their lands under the obligation for those people to guard Empire's borders.
    "Allow" is a quite dificult meaning , because in many times Empire had no other choice to accept the settle because it had not the power to do otherwise.
    Bulgarians are such an example. But beware...For romans the areas Bulgarians lived and defacto ruled , were STILL part of the Empire! I know that its quite complicated but we must not try to put our way of thinking in to theirs directly.
    4: It is true that while many Slavs embraced Christianity they claimed the right to become equal Romans as the rest of the nations that already had Roman citizeship.
    We still do not know the reason why Romans did not offer that citizeship (remember that the great Roman-Bulgarian war started when Bulgarian trade moved from Constantinople's Customs to Thessalonike's one as "foreigner trade" and that ment much more taxation). If you see a Serbian Imperial Eagle it is silver. Once in the past Serbs tried to have it in Gold (only the Roman Emperor had that right) but the rest of former Romans (greeks mostly) rebeled in that idea.
    Russians like Austrians had an Imperial Eagle in black but Russians changed it to golden one espesialy in the last century and more after 1990!
    That based on Peter the Great vision to name him self as Roman Emperor and that is why he named Moscow "3rd Rome".
    Russians STILL try to revive the Roman Empire under their rule.
    That means that their policy aims:
    To stop the Patriarch of Constantinople be uknowleged as Hoikoumenical. That is why they refused to participate in the latest Pan Orthodox Counsil last year.
    To claim that because most Orthodox Christians are under their rule their leader deserves to be called Emperor of the Romans.
    Finally what many people ignore is that the Roman Emperors NEVER called themselves CEASAR.
    It would be a huge insult if someone adressed an Emperor as Ceasar.
    Emperors used the title August/Augustos/Αυγουστος since the 1st Roman Emperor ever!
    Ceasar/Tsar/Tzar/Caiser were version of a title that Romans gave to Barbarian Kings as reward! The title never ment to describe an Emperor.
    See how Roman Emperor Leon VI the "Wise" opens Leonis Imperatoris Tactica military manual.

The underlined word is August! Above it , its the word Autocrator (the one that has no other authority over him).
    Now...This is the signature of the LAST ROMAN Emperor Constantine the 11th in 1453.

Constantine faithfull To God Basileus and Autocrator of the Romans , Paleaologos.
    See the previus videos for the titles.

It is true though that everywhere there is an Orthodox community of any nationality, people feel that they are participating to the continuity of that glorius past.
    Like this guy some time ago.

In relation to the Byzantine infuence and cultural achievement in the Balkans and Russia, to what extent do those countries see themselves as successors of Byzantium?
    And do people identify with Byzantium in Russia? Or is their connection only religious? To what extent did Byzantine culture influence the eastern European countries?
    For Russia is a religious continuity primarily. Alphabet, book culture, religious art. To a lesser extent the idea of Moscow - 3rd Rome (after the fall of Constantinople and the occupation of the majority of Orthodox Christian countries by the Muslims). But the Russians never identified themselves with the Romans.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

After the fall of Constantinople to the Turks, the socio-cultural legacy of the Roman Empire remained in two locations primarily - 1) The vibrant Greek-speaking community of Constantinople centered around the Patriarch and 2) North of the Danube in Wallachia and Moldova where many Roman noble families settled - Doukas (Duca), Kantacuzenos (Cantacuzino), etc). Even politically, the Moldovan ruler Stefan III had plans to have himself crowned Roman Emperor in the case Constantinople should be liberated from the Turks, as he ruled the last remaining independent Orthodox state in the region. To that end, in 1472 he married a Roman princess from the former Imperial family, Maria Asanina Palaiologina. "Byzantine" architectural styles also continued to flourish north of the Danube in regards to churches, until Russian neo-classicial styles became predominant during the late 1700s. Romanian historians tend to refer to this theme as "Byzantium after Byzantium."
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Actually Byzantine Chant is closer to Old Roman Chant than Gregorian Chant is.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Sanchez View Post
    For Russia is a religious continuity primarily. Alphabet, book culture, religious art.
    Also church architecture!

The Alexiad...

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    The Alexiad...
    Fake News! Anna K very bad (or dishonest) person, Komnenoi stole the throne. We need to #DrainThePolis! Sad.

I do think the Alexiad is a bit of hero worship, but its pretty cool to have the views of an actual imperial princess on events. The personal stuff about how much she hates the arrogant Franks is cracking stuff.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Also church architecture!
    Right!

The middle ages architecture was a continuity of the early Imperial (until 330AD)Roman architecture embracing few hellenic/hellenistic ellements.
    Byzantium 1200 page has photos and 3d videos that we can see many things.
    See them and compare thme with Galerius' Thessaloniki reconstruction (that was the main reason that the city was the 1st cantidate as 2nd Rome).

The recent works in Thessaloniki's Metro construction revealed the "Imperial Street" (6 meters lower that the curent surface) that follows the same line of the modern central Egnatia avenue TODAY:

Ignore the greek voices in the 2nd video but simply see how the street was in 4-6th century.