Thread: Elephants in Macedonian Wars

Icon10 Elephants in Macedonian Wars

First of all, thanks for an amazing mod!

I am a big fan of the Macedonian Wars short campaign. My favourite factions is the Seleucids. They are however missing elephants. Would it be possible to add elephants to their roster, even as a starting unit? It would be great to see some armoured elephants crushing foes under their feet.

Thanks again for all your hard work. It is appreciated and loved!

Default Re: Elephants in Macedonian Wars

Play Taksashila in the GC! Indian elephants best elephants!

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Antioch had elephants in his Greek campaign so it makes sense (He lost them at battle of Thermopylae because someone AGAIN crossed the goat path).
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Indeed. They were again present at Magnesia, Rome's first cross into Asia. There the elephants made a right mess of thing for Antiochus when they stampeded through his phalanx, contributing to the Roman victory. Seleucids are just not Seleucids without elephants. They were synonymous with the dynasty, their image appearing on coins, blazons and seals. Seleucus I, the founder of the dynasty, was even given the epithet of Master of the Elephant after his victory at Ipsos, where the beasts played a decisive role. Antiochus III used elephants at every major battle, with perhaps his eastern anabasis, as the beasts are not mentioned by Polybius accompanying the monarch.

It would really be wonderful if elephants can be added to the Macedonian Wars

Patrician

He had elephants in his anabasis after he defeated Bactria and probably got more when he moved to India.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    He had elephants in his anabasis after he defeated Bactria and probably got more when he moved to India.
    Indeed KAM, you are right. He "Confiscated" those from Bactria and then also obtained some from reaffirming his treaty with Sophagasensus.

They totaled 150 on his return trip from the east

Antioch had elephants in his Greek campaign so it makes sense (He lost them at battle of Thermopylae because someone AGAIN crossed the goat path).
    If you've ever listened to The History of Rome podcast (if not, you should, it's fantastic), his explanation of why Antiochus III lost is something to the tune of, "Although he chose the famous bottleneck at Thermopylae to fight the battle, the Seleucids were not the Spartans, the Romans were not the Persians, and everybody and their mother knew about the goat path Ephialtes showed to Xerxes." Great explanation, and also shows why it was such a boneheaded decision on the Seleucid general's part.

Patrician

To be honest, he knew about it and he especially placed a lot of troops to secure the goat path while he send other party to attack Romans from behind. What is even sadder to Antiochus battle plan was that when Romans broke through the goat path, his own troops were already looting Roman camp. Difference was that when Antiochus troops saw looting of their camp they routed from GREAT positions while Romans did not care about looting of their camp and pressed forward. Overal Antiochus plan of Theromopylae defence was nothing short of great and the best plan to defend in history if you ask me. His mistake was on the part of troops positioned to defend the goat path but that was all it take.

Wow, he really oversimplified that, I'm actually going to have to actually read up on that battle now. That is probably one of my favorite parts in Roman history, fresh off of beating (surviving) Hannibal and proceeding to almost immediately taking on the whole eastern Mediterranean... pretty amazing period.

Patrician

Yes, I highly encourage to read about Antiochus campaigns. He is one of my favourite commanders. His battle plans were great but he too often got carried by his own ambitions. While he made some mistakes, often he had just plian bad luck

I have to agree with KAM. The defence at Thermopylae was a sound defensive plan. Antiochus was out numbered by the Romans and out manoeuvred. He was forced to take a defensive stance at the Hot Gates. The "goat paths" were defended by his Aetolian allies. The Romans could not break through Antiochus' impenetrable phalanx. Two Roman contingents were sent along the"goat paths". The one was defeated and repulsed by the Aetolians, but the second Roman group fell upon the other Aetolian contingent while they were still asleep and slaughtered them. If they were not asleep on the job, Thermopylae might have turned out different.

I have to agree with KAM. The defence at Thermopylae was a sound defensive plan. Antiochus was out numbered by the Romans and out manoeuvred. He was forced to take a defensive stance at the Hot Gates. The "goat paths" were defended by his Aetolian allies. The Romans could not break through Antiochus' impenetrable phalanx. Two Roman contingents were sent along the"goat paths". The one was defeated and repulsed by the Aetolians, but the second Roman group fell upon the other Aetolian contingent while they were still asleep and slaughtered them. If they were not asleep on the job, Thermopylae might have turned out different.

Apologies for the double post!

Yes, I highly encourage to read about Antiochus campaigns. He is one of my favourite commanders. His battle plans were great but he too often got carried by his own ambitions. While he made some mistakes, often he had just plian bad luck
    Pyrrhus-like then?

Lun's Avatar Libertus

Off topic maybe, but how do you unlock seleucids in macedonian wars campaign?

The more factions playable submod

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----