Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 14th February 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 4th August 2017]

Nicely done, I'm looking forward to your next chapter!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 4th August 2017]

Why give us the teaser? Yes, I think it can stand alone as a chapter. That said, I am very impressed with the start to this tale. I just subscribed. I like the fact that you are brave enough to give us a great narrative without a lot of pictures. Not that pictures and in game shots are bad, but this is a very good method that focuses on the writing. I also like the use of the author edit to add a bit of explanation and a link or two that fills out the background. Your beginning with the poem / prophecy sets the tone and hints at what will come. Now we are seeing the pieces appear related to the prophecy.

edit: a bit of self promotion -- I had posted a first blog that deals a bit with what I like in your posts in your AAR. The blog can before I read your AAR, so it may serve as a real endorsement of this style of an AAR.
    Last edited by NorseThing; October 10, 2017 at 06:27 PM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Why give us the teaser? Yes, I think it can stand alone as a chapter. That said, I am very impressed with the start to this tale. I just subscribed. I like the fact that you are brave enough to give us a great narrative without a lot of pictures. Not that pictures and in game shots are bad, but this is a very good method that focuses on the writing. I also like the use of the author edit to add a bit of explanation and a link or two that fills out the background. Your beginning with the poem / prophecy sets the tone and hints at what will come. Now we are seeing the pieces appear related to the prophecy.

edit: a bit of self promotion -- I had posted a first blog that deals a bit with what I like in your posts in your AAR. The blog can before I read your AAR, so it may serve as a real endorsement of this style of an AAR.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying this.

The teaser is mainly so people know I haven't abandoned the story. Just had some other stuff to handle so haven't been able to work on this for a bit. But I have a new chapter ready, which I'll be posting after this post.

I get what you mean about the use of screenshots. Some stories and some writers work better with more of a comic book / illustrated novel approach, while for others their strength lies in the narrative. I'm probably the latter, as I've always been found I work better with words than pictures. That said, I'm intending to use some screenshots where appropriate. I have some from a coming battle which I think add a lot to that part of the story, so I'll definitely be using more then.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

P.S. Thanks for the blog post, was an interesting read.

“Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR.)
    Chapter 4: Into the Fog

“Will this blasted fog never cease.”

“Oh quit your complaining. You're the one that's always talking about wanting to get out more.... Besides, I'd have thought you'd like the fog. Hides that ugly mug of yours.”

“Ugly mug? UGLY MUG! When I catch you I'll hide your ugly mug with my fist.”

Suddenly there's a crash, followed by a bang, and then I hear laughter. “You'll have to find it first.”

“Quiet!” I hiss, load enough to carry to their ears, but hopefully not so loud as to carry further.

The young warriors fall silent.

I know they mean no harm, and usually I would allow such banter. It is good for the younger warriors to let off a bit of steam on the march. It keeps their wits sharp and ready for the battle ahead, builds camaraderie with the men they will soon be fighting and dying alongside, and chases away the demons of doubt. But this is not the time, nor the place. I know full well how far a voice can travel amongst the mists that currently shroud our way, and the dangers of being caught in an ambush in such a miasma. We cannot afford to give away our position so easily or so cheaply, or risk paying the price in blood.

But it is more than that. I have felt a growing unease these past few days. There is something unnatural, evil about this fog. It clings to the body like the cold, damp embrace of a malevolent creature, sapping our strength and will with every step we take. The chill is like claws piercing my skin and I feel it down to my very bones. I have not known such a thing in all of my years.

And then there is the timing. So close to the dark forests of the east the weather can do strange things to an unwary traveller, it is true. But this fog came upon us on a clear day, starting the very moment we entered the Eburones territory and there has been no let up since. Now, as we approach their stronghold of Atuatuca, if anything it seems to be growing thicker, like some foul beast conjured up by dark magic. What terrible oaths must the Eburones have sworn to see the Gods, or something else, intervene in such a fashion? If this is truly the work of the Gods, then I fear what price must have been paid to gain such favour... and what other surprises they may have in store for us?

Or perhaps it is simply fog....

The Eburones...

It came as no surprise when Caxtos suggested we seek trade partners and allies amongst them, for the Gods have seen fit to bless them with an abundance of talent. Their glass working skills are both admired and respected by many tribes, for the glass they create is of the finest quality. It is valued even by we Nervii, for though we would usually shun such trappings of luxury, our druids use Eburone glass to perform some of their rituals of knowledge. Yet for the Eburone, such great talent has come at a terrible price. Their leaders are cursed with insanity.

Their current Chieftain calls himself "Ambriorix the Mighty." Amongst many of the tribes he is known by another name, "Ambriorix the Mad." Though this is never said to his face, for he is renowned for flying into a rage at even the smallest of slights. His father and grandfather, both also Chieftain of the Eburones before him, were in their own ways no better.

I have heard it said he believes himself to be the God Segomo made flesh, his personal bodyguard "The Swords of Segomo" said by him to be invincible warriors who can never lose a battle. Perhaps today we shall discover the truth of the matter...

For I would not underestimate such men. My family have fought the Eburones for generations, for with the dark forests behind them their only path to expand is through us. When I was but a boy they took my father from me, impaled through the heart by an Eburone spear. But this was no great battle, worthy of song and story. Just a minor border skirmish fought over something none still remember, but that took so much from me.

Several winters later, when I was now a young warrior eager to get his first taste of battle they came again, in force this time. They thought to take our lands from us. But we made them pay a heavy price for their hubris. Their leader, Ambriorix's grandfather Cativolcus, was slain by Nervii hands that day, as were many of his warriors. But no battle is without losses on both sides. Though we may have won that day, I saw my older brother cut down before me by the same sword that nearly took my own life, and left me with scars I will take to my grave. It is a sight that still sometimes haunts me in the darkest hours of the night.

And then, for some 20 winters now we have had peace. For while Ambriorix's father was as insane as his grandfather, he was not a violent man. His insanity manifested in peaceful endeavours, like the arrangement of flowers, or the creation of truly bizarre glass sculptures that I doubt even the Gods, in all their wisdom, know what to make of. It was hoped that with his passing, the son would prove himself be like his father. A nuisance, not a threat. How wrong we were.

What kind of leader he is has been made clear to all. To murder an emissary sent under the banner of peace is an act of the vilest treachery. And to deliver his head like that demands an answer. There can be only one response...!

And that is what worries me. Ambriorix may be mad, but I do not take him for a fool. He knows that we are coming, so what does have planned for us when we arrive?

What lies within this fog?

Author's Notes:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Historically Cativolcus and Ambriorix were actually co-Chieftains of the Eburones at the time of the Gallic Wars, but as Rome 2 only portrays Ambriorix as leader I've decided to borrow the name Cativolcus for his grandfather.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; October 15, 2017 at 06:54 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

This is lovely - very atmospheric. Your use of the fog enhances that, I think.

The history of the relationship with the Eburones, and the possibility that their druids might have strange and terrifying powers, also add nicely to the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    This is lovely - very atmospheric. Your use of the fog enhances that, I think.

The history of the relationship with the Eburones, and the possibility that their druids might have strange and terrifying powers, also add nicely to the tension.
    Thanks Caillagh. Wish I could claim credit for the fog, but it's actually what the game threw at me in my first battle (coming soon,) and it was just too good an opportunity to miss.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

P.S. First post updated with correct Update date and link to latest chapter (thanks Alwyn.)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Thanks Caillagh. Wish I could claim credit for the fog, but it's actually what the game threw at me in my first battle (coming soon,) and it was just too good an opportunity to miss.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    The game may have provided the fog, but you were the one who made such effective use of it in your narrative. I think you should be taking all the credit.

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 15th October 2017]

Good update! I enjoyed the way that the fog comes across almost as a living thing and that the combination of the fog and the unpredictable nature of Ambriorix create tension and uncertainty. The details, such as the contrast between Ambriorix and his father, are well done, too.

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 15th October 2017]

The game may have provided the fog, but you were the one who made such effective use of it in your narrative. I think you should be taking all the credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good update! I enjoyed the way that the fog comes across almost as a living thing and that the combination of the fog and the unpredictable nature of Ambriorix create tension and uncertainty. The details, such as the contrast between Ambriorix and his father, are well done, too.
    Thank you both. Glad to hear the fog effect () worked so well.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I came here from Historia Quod Barbarorum.And i am amazed.Your story is great.I like how your story describes the Romans destroying the equilibrium that had existed between the different tribes for generations.I especially liked your opening sentnces

'Let them lie drinking wine in their couches while dreaming of conquering real warriors' Great job..

My personal problem-Like Historia Quod Barbarorum i seem to have a problem remembering Celtic names here too.
    The author's notes give valuable information.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I came here from Historia Quod Barbarorum.And i am amazed.Your story is great.I like how your story describes the Romans destroying the equilibrium that had existed between the different tribes for generations.I especially liked your opening sentnces

'Let them lie drinking wine in their couches while dreaming of conquering real warriors' Great job..

My personal problem-Like Historia Quod Barbarorum i seem to have a problem remembering Celtic names here too.
    The author's notes give valuable information.
    Thank you Mad Orc. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Rome's arrival in Gaul really is like dropping a stone into a pond. The ripples are felt far away, even if you don't see the splash.

I'm quite pleased how the opening turned out. Part of the inspiration for this whole AAR started with thinking "what would a barbarian version of the Caesar in Gaul opening sound like," so I kind of went from there. I also tried to have them mirror each other.

The Romans see the Gauls/Belgians as barbarians who need to be civilised. Their refusal to admit defeat and willingness to die in battle rather than give up their freedom is a weakness. They also look down their noses at these "savages."

The Nervii, with their Spartan like existence shun most luxury, so they see Romans lying around on couches and drinking wine as a weakness. They're equally dismissive of the Romans, but for different reasons.

As a culture, Romans see war as a means to an end, while for the Nervii war is an end in it's own right, so they don't see that Rome has anything to teach them. (If the AI starts using siege weapons, that's probably going to change a bit.) Equally, Rome think themselves superior, but have harsh lessons to learn in the forests of Gaul.

When it comes to their religions, where as for Caesar the Roman Goddess Fortuna "favours the bold," to earn Toutatis's favour requires bravery. Caesar's basically relying on luck, while the Nervii put their faith in courage. Toutatis is also believed to have been a "tribal protector" which again fits with the more defensive campaign I expect to have to fight when I meet Rome.

Finally, the biggest mirror is probably the last few lines. Caesar would see the tribes "Divided. Scattered. Conquered." in his quest for power. Whilst for the Nervii it's only by being "United. Fearless. Ruthless." that they hope to stop Rome in it's tracks and ultimately drive them from their lands.

As for Celtic Names, I'm probably going to add a Dramatis Personae as the story progresses, so hopefully that will help. I'm also trying to give characters well defined personalities to make them easier to identify.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Fabulous my man,just fabulous,your answer to my comment is better than the story itself.Great man.The thought process i clear and conscise.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

“Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR.)
    Chapter 5: Fog of War (Part 1.)

What lies within this fog?

This is the question that haunts me these many days and nights as we cross the lands of the Eburones. I have sent many scouts out far and wide searching for clues to the Eburone's plans. My scouts are brave men and women. Fleet of foot, cunning of wit, bravely travelling great distances alone in enemy territory. Each knowing that should they run into trouble there is nobody there to save them but themselves. The information they bring is often paid for in blood. And what they report... it troubles me greatly.

Nothing!

Every scout comes back with the same story. They tell of farms without their farmers. Of fields left deserted by the very labourers that should be preparing for the harvest. Of empty woodsmen's cabins, fishermen's huts and hunters dwellings. In the time it has taken us to cross the Eburone lands, they have seen not a man, a woman or a child. But why? What dark scheme is this?

All I can think of is that Ambriorix has summoned every member of his tribe to Atuatuca, the Eburone stronghold. A great and powerful host, waiting for us to march upon their gates so that they may make their stand for a madman. But if that were the case, surely we would have seen sign of them by now? Any army of that size leaves footprints just as surely as a herd of deer. There should be something...

Blast this fog!

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 3rd February 2018]

Good update! You've got me interested in what has caused these mysterious disappearances. (I like the true line-of-sight feature of Rome II battles, especially when one (or both) sides in the battle is has units which are good at stealthy attacks. I wonder if that has contributed to the significance of the fog in the story - although it sounds like these events could be inspired by events in the campaign map, more than the battlefield).

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 3rd February 2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good update! You've got me interested in what has caused these mysterious disappearances. (I like the true line-of-sight feature of Rome II battles, especially when one (or both) sides in the battle is has units which are good at stealthy attacks. I wonder if that has contributed to the significance of the fog in the story - although it sounds like these events could be inspired by events in the campaign map, more than the battlefield).
    Thanks Alwyn.

I'm also a fan of true-line of sight. It's fun hiding units behind hills sometimes. As for what in game inspired this, I'll probably cover it in an author's note once I've finished this mini-arc (the "Fog Arc" if you will.) I think it gives nothing away to say "it's a bit of both."

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I like the idea of a 'fog arc' as a small part of this. That alone is a big reason to actually play some of the TW games with for on an then with fog off. Yes each has its advantages and disadvantages, but you cannot appreciate the fog of war unless you have something to compare it to as well. Putting this into the narrative is a great idea that I might 'copy'.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Glad to see you back and writing Welsh Dragon, and good to hear that your save conundrum got sorted out! I greatly enjoyed this little taste of what is to come in the story... very atmospheric.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I like the idea of a 'fog arc' as a small part of this. That alone is a big reason to actually play some of the TW games with for on an then with fog off. Yes each has its advantages and disadvantages, but you cannot appreciate the fog of war unless you have something to compare it to as well. Putting this into the narrative is a great idea that I might 'copy'.
    Thanks NorseThing. You make an interesting point. I've always played with Fog of War on, but I can imagine it's quite different playing without it. And feel free to "borrow" the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Glad to see you back and writing Welsh Dragon, and good to hear that your save conundrum got sorted out! I greatly enjoyed this little taste of what is to come in the story... very atmospheric.
    Thanks Axis Sunsoar. Yeah, losing all those saves was a real pain, so very glad to find I had them backed up after all. The next (probably few) chapters deals with my first battle scenes, which is something I haven't really done before, and I also want to include some screenshots so I'm setting up image hosting for them, so its taking a little while to get it all right. But next chapter is coming... when I finish writing it.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    I was going to say "chilling".

I want to know what's going on, but I feel I should be hiding behind the sofa just in case...

I was going to say "chilling".

I want to know what's going on, but I feel I should be hiding behind the sofa just in case...
    Didn't realise I was writing horror or Doctor Who. But glad to hear I'm building tension.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast