Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 14th February 2021]

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 2nd April 2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The return of the runners is a good moment! I like your line about what Eburone warriors had to think about, as well as agreeing with NorseThing about "Even a fanatic has his limits." I hope that the young warrior will be right about the Swords of Segomo!
    Thanks. One of the things I'm enjoying with the AAR is looking at how what happens in game compares to the realities of warfare. As for the Swords of Segomo, well I think we all know how tough Gallic General's bodyguards can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Here I was thinking the battle had ended. Segomo might have something planned, better be careful.
    Perhaps...

Perhaps not...

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    A great tale to be sure and for a man of Belgium a very interesting read. Especially your depiction of Ambiorix, who is a popular hero in Belgium for his rebellion against Caesar, intrigues me. I wonder what made you decide to add this legend of madness to the Eburones? I like the slowpaced telling of your tale detailing much of the thoughts of the main character, Boduognatus. That way I feel more connected to the tale. I also like the way you describe the swaying of the balance in the battle. The shock felt by the Nervii, the waning of their morale by a twofront battle, the strengthening of their resolve when reinforcements arrive and ultimately the breaking of the Eburones' will to fight by this setback. Still as Darkan had said, maybe the crazy Ambiorix has something in mind to surprise the Nervii once again.

A great tale indeed!
    Thank you Turkafinwë. It is high praise indeed to receive such words from a true Belgian. I admit my knowledge of Belgian history is rather limited, so that's really interesting hearing about how Ambriorix is a hero of legend over there. It's always fun to pick up new bits of history. Funnily enough, I'd never actually heard of the Nervii until they were added in Caesar in Gaul. But reading about them on the Total War wiki I kind of fell in love with this idea of a Barbarian tribe with an almost Spartan love of warfare, shunning riches and luxuries while travelling great distances just to join a fight. And I had fun playing them in Grand Campaign too. So when Alwyn suggested I try my hand at AAR writing, and I decided to go for one of the smaller campaigns rather than the Grand Campaign, they seemed like a good pick. I hope I do your ancestors proud!

As for Ambriorix and the Eburones, as well as other historical figures, I've decided with this AAR to take the approach that whilst they may share names with famous figures or factions of the period, they are their own characters and people. So their personalities will largely be shaped by what the game gives me, in terms of both character traits and actions.

So with Ambriorix the Mad, early in the campaign the Eburones declared war on me out of the blue (though in hindsight it makes sense from a game perspective, as Bagacum is basically the only land they can attack to expand from Atuatuca.) That one AI decision then lead me to think about why "in universe" they would declare war, which then sparked several ideas. And whilst I could have gone with them just wanting to expand, I found the idea of their leader being mad, bad and dangerous to know seemed much more interesting. From that I then built up the history with Boduognatus, the previous conflicts fought between the two tribes, and the idea that the Eburones had laid dormant for a time. Combine that with them starting off with the glass trade resource and put it all together and you get a race of warrior artisans blessed with talents but cursed with insane leaders.

Or in other words:

Disclaimer: All characters are original creations of the author, even if they share a slight resemblance to real people. No Historical Figures were harmed in the making of this AAR.

Next chapter should be up later today, just figuring out the screenshots... there are quite a few.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 2nd April 2018]

“Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR.)
    Chapter 10: The Lords of Segomo

The fighting is brutal.

The Swords of Segomo truly live up to their name. Ambriorix's most elite men do not give ground lightly. They make us pay dearly for every step forward, slashing and stabbing in a whirling ball of death. For every one of them that falls, several Nervii are slain or injured so badly they will likely never see another battlefield as long as they live.

These men must know the situation is hopeless, that they will lose from weight of numbers if nothing else. And yet they fight on, till each is in turn brought down by sword, or spear, or javelin, or some combination of them all. I would expect no less from men such as them.

These are not the mindless fanatics I have fought so far this day, driven to war by nothing more than blind faith in a madman.

These are men who fight for honour, to keep a promise they have made to the man that leads them.

These are men who have fought many battles, and yet still they return to the fight.

These are men that fight as if they have some Nervii blood running through their veins.

These are Oathsworn.

And though the oaths they swore are to a man who does not deserve such loyalty, their unshakeable dedication to upholding their word even to their very last breath is truly a sight to behold. I hope when my day comes, I die with half as much courage as I see in their eyes this day. So even as I bring each warrior before me down with sword or shield, I honour his bravery and his courage. It is the least that they deserve. For they truly fight with Segomo in their hearts.

This butchery continues until, finally, only a few of Ambriorix's Oathsworn, his Sword's of Segomo, remain. Yet still they will not yield.

But what of their leader? The mad man who has brought us all to this place and cost so many brave warriors their lives in the process. The gods demand justice for this man's many crimes and any man who could carry out an ambush such as this is far too dangerous to let run free.

I look about me but the task seems hopeless. How am I to find one man on a battlefield, let alone one such as this, still shrouded in the densest of fogs. But suddenly, it is as if with Ambriorix's spell upon his people finally broken the gods themselves choose to intervene. For as the last Eburone Oathsworn falls, so too does whatever curse their chieftain cast. Sunlight, which has been an all too absent companions these past days, finally begins to breaks through the clouds and the fog begins to clear.

In the distance I see a small figure running away from the battlefield. One of many, and yet my eyes linger upon him for some reason. As he vaults a fence, the light catches his helmet and somehow I know.... There is the man I seek.

There is Ambriorix.

No god made flesh, merely a coward running for his life, who has left his men to fight while he tries to retreat to safety. A man who would rather flee than face death in battle like a true warrior. A man I cannot allow to live.

“STOP HIM!” I shout, my sword held out towards the fleeing figure. Despite their exhaustion, several of my men give chase on tired legs. It is a futile gesture, for they have no hope of catching him in this state, but still they try. But others have a better idea. They pick up spears or javelins where they have fallen in the battle, draw their arms back with new found strength and let fly with deadly intent. Nervii or Eburone it does not matter who first wielded these weapons, for now they serve in justice's name. And while many fall short, (it is quite a distance after all,) several find their mark...

Impaling the fleeing figure through head and back, and bringing him down to the ground to never rise again.

His godhood proven false once and for all. A cowards death, for a cowardly man....

Thus ends the reign of Ambriorix the Mad.

A Note About Screenshot size:

In previous chapters when I've used screenshots I've included them at the native resolution they were originally taken, which in my case would be 1920 x 1080. However this leads to some rather large screenshots, and I'm wondering if that might cause issues for some readers on lower resolutions monitors or with slow internet connections.

In this chapter as an experiment (and as I'm using rather a lot of them,) I've resized them to be 75% of the original size. Please let me know how you find the new size, as I'd be interested in feedback as to which people find better, or if you find it doesn't make much difference. Thank you.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; April 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post

Disclaimer: All characters are original creations of the author, even if they share a slight resemblance to real people. No Historical Figures were harmed in the making of this AAR.
    Hahahaha don't sweat it.

A great update to be sure. It's good to see Boduognatus honours and respects his enemies for their bravery and prowess in battle. It really says a lot about his character and I can only agree with his way of thinking. A man is his own and can still be honourable even though he is in the service of a madman.

As for the screenshots, for me at least, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Then again I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor myself. As for the content of the screenshots, I think you did an amazing job captivating the chase. A pretty brutal ending.

In short, I like this chapter and this story very much. Great job!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 21st April 2018]

A great update. I do think it loads faster for me at 75%. Great sequence of pictures of the lone leader fleeing and then meeting his 'reward'. Well worth the price of admission!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 21st April 2018]

The screenshots look very good to me!

I like the trajectory you follow from the courage of the Oathsworn to the cowardice of Ambriorix in this chapter. I think that's very effective, and the contrast between the deaths of the Oathsworn and Ambriorix's death is very nice.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

I agree with Caillagh's comment, the contrast between courage and cowardice is effective, as is your depiction in words and images of what happens to Ambriorix. The Nervii have lived up to their reputation for courage and I look forward to seeing what challenges they will face next.

You asked about the new screenshot size. It works well for me. Previously, one or two larger images were slightly too big to see on my screen, I needed to scroll to see the whole picture. Now, I can see each image with a line of text above and below it, which looks good.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Good update. I loved the last three pics, it's almost like watching a short video. Now hopefully there's time for some respite, get your men some well deserved rest (and reinforcements). Keep up the good work!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Firstly I just want to thank everyone who voted for "Toutatis Favours the Brave" in the 75th MAARC (which it won! ) and to everyone who reads my story. I am honoured to have readers such as you, thank you.

Now onto some replies:

A great update to be sure. It's good to see Boduognatus honours and respects his enemies for their bravery and prowess in battle. It really says a lot about his character and I can only agree with his way of thinking. A man is his own and can still be honourable even though he is in the service of a madman.

As for the screenshots, for me at least, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Then again I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor myself. As for the content of the screenshots, I think you did an amazing job captivating the chase. A pretty brutal ending.

In short, I like this chapter and this story very much. Great job!
    Glad you enjoyed it.

I've always believed in respecting others, even if they may have different views than you and to me it's important that carries over into war. Most soldiers don't fight for a cause or for a leader, they ultimately fight for those they care about, their brother in arms and their families. They may have more in common with the person trying to kill them than they do with the leaders that brought them to this point, and so I tried to convey that with the story.

The concept of the honourable warrior has always interested me, especially the way that what that means can really vary from culture to culture and person to person. For one person winning the battle may be honour enough, and it doesn't really matter how they do it. For another a battle won with underhanded tactics and treachery may not be an honourable victory. What kind of warrior Boduognatus is will develop as the campaign and story does.

And yeah, the ending is quite brutal isn't it. Much like Boduognatus, I happened to glimpse this one Oathsworn running away, and so started to follow him, pausing often to take screenshots. And I'm glad I did, because catching him first leaping the fence, then running and finally being brought down in such a fashion gave me the chance to bring the battle to a close in such a visual and visceral fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    A great update. I do think it loads faster for me at 75%. Great sequence of pictures of the lone leader fleeing and then meeting his 'reward'. Well worth the price of admission!
    That's good to hear. I'll try to remember to scale the images down in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    The screenshots look very good to me!

I like the trajectory you follow from the courage of the Oathsworn to the cowardice of Ambriorix in this chapter. I think that's very effective, and the contrast between the deaths of the Oathsworn and Ambriorix's death is very nice.
    Thank you. Oathsworn have always been one of those Total War units that are a pain to kill, so it was fun considering why they fight so hard. I am glad to hear the Oathsworns sacrifice and Ambriorix's less than heroic demise worked out really well in the end.

I agree with Caillagh's comment, the contrast between courage and cowardice is effective, as is your depiction in words and images of what happens to Ambriorix. The Nervii have lived up to their reputation for courage and I look forward to seeing what challenges they will face next.

You asked about the new screenshot size. It works well for me. Previously, one or two larger images were slightly too big to see on my screen, I needed to scroll to see the whole picture. Now, I can see each image with a line of text above and below it, which looks good.
    Thanks. One of the things that made me want to write about the Nervii in the first place was their warrior spirit, so I'm glad that's coming across in the writing. It's a fine line between courage and cowardice, especially on the battlefield, and I expect the Nervii have even tougher fights coming. I probably won't go into as much detail in every battle, but for this first one it seemed like a good way to both practice battle writing and really get into the mind of how and why different people fight.

Also glad the new picture size is working for you too.

Good update. I loved the last three pics, it's almost like watching a short video. Now hopefully there's time for some respite, get your men some well deserved rest (and reinforcements). Keep up the good work!
    Thank you. Getting that sequence of pictures was quite tricky, and basically involved me double clicking P to pause and immediately unpause many times to grab the right shots. Glad it proved worth it.

For my next chapter I have something a little different planned, and then we'll be moving on to a slightly calmer period for Boduognatus and the Nervii, as they get the chance to heal their wounds, celebrate victory and perhaps make some plans... but danger is never far away.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Interlude: The Raven

Despite Eburone trickery and ferocity, the Nervii's courage had prevailed that day. But though the battle was won, the days work was far from over.

There was food and water to be gathered and distributed, for war was a hungry, thirsty business. There were the wounded to be seen to. Those with a chance to recover taken to the healers, and those too far gone given a swift and honourable death. Captives, what few had been taken given the fanatical nature of the enemy, to be guarded till their fates could be decided. There were funeral pyres to build for friend and foe alike, as all who had fought so bravely deserved to have their path to the Otherworld lit by the flames, so that they may be amongst their ancestors once more.

So with every hand turned to a task, that a single figure watching from the nearby woods went without notice is hardly a surprise. Not least because he went to great lengths to avoid it... Unless he wanted to be seen of course. His face was hidden within a dark hood, his cloak covering most of his body, blending into the dark greens and browns of the trees he stood amongst, not giving even a hint of what clothes may lie beneath.

No, the only eyes that fell upon this figure were the beady black eyes of a raven, perched upon a tree branch. It's feathers, black as the darkest nights blended well into the shadowy surrounds. This bird in particular had seen much this day, for it had flown high above the battlefield for what seemed like hours, yet surely could not be.

That it would choose to rest upon this particular perch, at this specific time was surely mere happen-stance... perhaps. Or perhaps not. For who truly knew the mind of such a creature?

“Such fools these Gauls,” the figure finally said, though speaking to the bird or himself it was hard to know. “Just a few words in the right ears and two tribes go to war over nothing.”

The figure turned, and began to walk stealthily through the trees, barely a leaf or blade of grass disturbed by his passing. His task had been a complete success. It did not matter which side won the battle, only that the two tribes fought and died. He estimated nearly two thousand dead over just one life, not that he was keeping score. With surely more to follow in the days to come, as some of those who had survived the battle succumbed to their injuries, and those with scores to settle took the opportunity to see that they did.

A good start. His master would be pleased.

The trees soon parted to reveal a small clearing, the figure's horse drinking from a stream and waiting patiently for its master to return. A swift and agile beast, it had proven its worth on this trip. But it had far to go before its task would be complete. Much like its owner.

The figure leapt up upon the animal's back, and turned the beast's head to face pastures new. For there was much work to be done before both could truly rest. This had only been the beginning.

The Rider headed south.

Authors Note 1 (A Word On Interludes):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    So, as you'll have noticed, this update is a bit different from the story so far. There is a good reason for this.

When I started working out how to tell the story that is unfolding in my campaign, I soon realised that there were important scenes and events that Boduognatus couldn't possibly be present for. And whilst some may be retold to him by other characters at some point, for others that simply wouldn't work.

And that's where Interludes come in.

Interludes will be an occasional update falling in between chapters of Boduognatus adventures, and carrying the Interlude heading instead of Chapter. Still part of the main story, they will cover events taking place elsewhere, told in the third person and focused on other characters. Some friend, some foe, and some... well we'll just have to wait and see how the story develops. Hopefully through these I can tell a broader story, whilst also keeping the central focus on Boduognatus and his destiny. I hope you will enjoy them.

Authors Note 2 (How this came to be):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I've had a few people ask about how certain events in the game inspired events in the story, and while I've covered some of it already in other posts, I thought it would be nice to give a bit of a round up. And with the battle over, now seems as good a time as any.

This whole Eburone/Fog arc spun out of three in game events.

1. The Eburones declared war on me out of the blue. As I've previously covered, this actually makes a lot of sense for the AI given their position on the campaign map with the Nervii basically standing between the Eburones and everyone else. But it really took me by surprise, which is something I have tried to convey in the story.
    2. When I advanced my army toward Atuatuca on the campaign map, the Eburone AI decided to move his army “The Swords of Segomo” out of the settlement before I could reach it. This could be seen as the AI playing badly, as there are advantages to keeping his forces in the settlement. But it can also be seen as the AI playing well. Because while having the army in the settlement might have made for a hard fight, it would also have allowed me to surround them, attacking from multiple sides. But by splitting his forces, he also made me have to deal with attacks from multiple sides, meaning much like Caxtos advised I had to divide my forces.
    3. When the battle started, the weather it gave me really was dense fog. And the AI really did march his army through that fog to attack my flank.

I also roleplayed the battle a little. In reality I knew the Eburone army was advancing on my flank and could have turned my soldiers there to engage them head on... but it was much more fun (and believable given the fog) for it to be a total shock. The same goes for sending forces into the settlement, I knew there would be defenders, but Boduognatus couldn't know for sure, hence him sending in a small force first to check.

I hope you enjoyed both the Interlude and this little behind the scenes look at how events in game lead to events in the story. Next time we'll catch up with Boduognatus after the battle, as the Nervii celebrate their victory... but danger may be closer than they think.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 13th May 2018]

Nice! The interludes will be welcomed and their purpose makes sense. The author's notes are also a nice touch and they allow us a glimpse in your reasoning/decision making. Keep it up! +rep
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Content Emeritus

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 13th May 2018]

I love it! It's very ominous. I understand the need to change perspective to tell certain aspects of the tale. The interludes work very nicely in this regard. +rep

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

One of my favourite aspects of an AAR is working out a plausible reason for events such as the attack by the Eburones. I enjoyed this Interlude, which adds an extra dimension to that conflict. I look forward to finding out more about the plans of this mysterious Rider, as well as to see what will happen when the Nervii celebrate their victory. It's good to have read about the thinking behind your recent chapters; your role-playing during the fog arc worked well for me.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I do appreciate your comments about how and why the AAR is written. It will greatly help many (me included) to make improvements in our own writing. A very good update for many reasons.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Loving this! Not much to say that others have not already said, so simply take my compliment and my rep.

All civilization thanks you for doing this, Welsh Dragon. Now through your heroizing prose, finally we can see beneath Caesar's racist characterization of the Gaulish people, into the heart, the drama, and the passion of their fully-lived, authentically human lives. I really enjoy seeing the cultural world of the Gauls simulated in this personal destiny of the Belgian underking Boduognatus. I wonder, will there soon be the obligatgory self-awakening reserved to all antique hero-kings, wherein Boduognatus, himself a man pious and observant of custom, shall receive at last the divine revelation of his supernatural destiny from the gods??

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Welsh Dragon, I doubt you need another post, especially this late in the game, telling you just how damn good this story is...but I just got caught up here and couldn't resist. Well done. The writing style, the way that the short laconic "Hemingwayesque" sentences fit perfectly for the main character's warrior culture, the way there's never a wasted paragraph, or sentence for that matter, the ratcheting up of tension...you're just firing on all cylinders here. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

Firstly, an apology to everyone, especially those below who I owe replies to from up to 3 months ago. The past few months have been rather hectic, sometimes chaotic, and really quite frustrating at times, so I have rather dropped the ball when it comes to Boduognatus and his friends adventures. I'm hoping to get some more chapters written in the next few weeks, so I'll have a bit of a buffer and can start posting these in some kind of regular pattern, fingers crossed.

I also just want to thank everyone who is reading and enjoying my story. It's fun to write these, but it's also fun to hear from readers and get feedback. Plus as has already happened, it can lead to new elements and characters being created or expanded upon.

Nice! The interludes will be welcomed and their purpose makes sense. The author's notes are also a nice touch and they allow us a glimpse in your reasoning/decision making. Keep it up! +rep
    Thank you. I've always enjoyed reading Authors Notes in the backs of the novels I read, and getting some insight into how the stories came about, so glad to hear my own Author's Notes are being enjoyed.

I love it! It's very ominous. I understand the need to change perspective to tell certain aspects of the tale. The interludes work very nicely in this regard. +rep
    Glad you're enjoying it. Yes, the Interlude is a little sinister, isn't it. Knowing some of what's to come, I can say things aren't going to get any easier for Boduognatus and the Nervii any time soon, and The Rider may feature in those events in a way...

One of my favourite aspects of an AAR is working out a plausible reason for events such as the attack by the Eburones. I enjoyed this Interlude, which adds an extra dimension to that conflict. I look forward to finding out more about the plans of this mysterious Rider, as well as to see what will happen when the Nervii celebrate their victory. It's good to have read about the thinking behind your recent chapters; your role-playing during the fog arc worked well for me.
    The Eburones attack rather caught me off guard, but certainly added some spice to these early chapters. And thank you once again for inspiring me to give this a go. It's great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I do appreciate your comments about how and why the AAR is written. It will greatly help many (me included) to make improvements in our own writing. A very good update for many reasons.
    I'm happy to help, and if my writing helps others in even a small way it means a lot to me. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Loving this! Not much to say that others have not already said, so simply take my compliment and my rep.
    Thank you good sir. That means a lot to me, especially coming from an experienced and well respected AAR writer such as yourself. I just hope I can live up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckitz View Post
    All civilization thanks you for doing this, Welsh Dragon. Now through your heroizing prose, finally we can see beneath Caesar's racist characterization of the Gaulish people, into the heart, the drama, and the passion of their fully-lived, authentically human lives. I really enjoy seeing the cultural world of the Gauls simulated in this personal destiny of the Belgian underking Boduognatus. I wonder, will there soon be the obligatgory self-awakening reserved to all antique hero-kings, wherein Boduognatus, himself a man pious and observant of custom, shall receive at last the divine revelation of his supernatural destiny from the gods??
    I've always felt the whole idea of the "savage, unintelligent barbarians" that some hold to when they think of non-Romans/Greeks back then a little one-sided. I just hope I do the proud peoples of the Belgae, Gauls and Celts justice.

And who knows what the gods have in store for the Nervii... Definitely not me, as I haven't played my AAR campaign in a while. Hoping all will be well with it when I get back to it, given I started this campaign on Patch 17 and we're now on Patch 20. The recent patches seem to have had a fair bit of backwards compatibility, and the few mods I was using are hopefully minor enough to still work (or continue without,) so I'm quietly confident. If not, Alwyn wrote a good guide on what to do and I expect to take his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    Welsh Dragon, I doubt you need another post, especially this late in the game, telling you just how damn good this story is...but I just got caught up here and couldn't resist. Well done. The writing style, the way that the short laconic "Hemingwayesque" sentences fit perfectly for the main character's warrior culture, the way there's never a wasted paragraph, or sentence for that matter, the ratcheting up of tension...you're just firing on all cylinders here. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.
    Thanks. Any feedback is always greatly appreciated, especially when it's so enthusiastic and positive. Plus it can lead me to new insights about my own writing. I hadn't really thought about the way I've been writing the characters as reflecting the culture, so that's a really interesting observation. I tend to find that once I've got into the head of a character, and start writing what they're saying and doing, the voice comes with it.

For example there's a short story I wrote a few years back where the main character/narrator ended up with a southern drawl. Wasn't my intention when designing the character or the story, but once I started writing it, and especially reading it out loud, he just became this guy from the Southern US of A whose seen too much in his life and so looks upon everything with a cynical manner, and speaks with that Texan drawl you see on TV.

Thank you again everyone. The next chapter (when I finish it,) will be a change of pace again, as we see the Nervii deal with the aftermath of battle, but also with a bit of a celebration. But in the world they now find themselves in, danger is never too far away....

Watch this space (as they say.)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

The Lord's of Segomo was such a different and lovely chapter. The picture matched the tone.Read it yesterday and am commenting today.Good updates.The authors notes makes reading even more worthwhile.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Chapter 11: Feast and Famine.

“... So there we were. Just me and Caxtos. No shields. No armour. Barely half a sword and a broken spear tip between us. Face to face with five of the biggest, ugliest hulking brutes of men you are ever likely to meet.”

There are perhaps a dozen or more of us gathered by the bonfire. Though in truth, between the darkness and flickering light it could have been more or less. We are a mixture of peoples. Nervii warriors, Client Tribes, traders and Eburone survivors, all watching and listening as Sacrapo as he tells his tale.

“Beasts they were, big ugly noses, tiny little boar like eyes, teeth more like tusks. And the stench, gods that was almost worse than looking at their faces... almost. But there was one thing even uglier than they were...”

At this many lean forward, not wanting to miss a word. Sacrapo always was good with an audience.

“And that was their weapons. Great, big, double headed battleaxes they had. With heads as big as a shield, and shafts that looked like they'd chopped down a tree and used the whole trunk.” Sacrapo stretches both arms out as if to emphasise just how big these weapons were.

“So their leader, a particularly large and odiferous thug, who was probably in charge because of him being biggest and ugliest. Their leader, the ogre, he's snorting and grunting and hurling curses at us that would make even the gods blush. I wanted to bash his face in there and then I can tell you. But Caxtos stops me with his hand on my chest, right here.” Sacrapo taps the middle of his chest.

“So we're just standing there while this big beast, he's going on and on about our mothers, fathers, the tribe, the gods...” I can hear a few gasps and some grumbling from the crowd. To offend our parents or the tribe is one thing, but the gods? That's asking for trouble. Sacrapo, seemingly without notice continues “... and anything else that comes into that unripe vegetable of a head. And because Caxtos is stopping me we let him, till this stinking beast's gone blue in the face and stops for breath.”

“And then this man.” Sacrapo puts his right arm around Caxtos shoulder. “This man! My brother in arms, my friend. The man who I've seen cleave a man in two with a spear point when the blood is up, but usually has barely a word to say unless it's important. He turns to me and he says...”

It is here Sacrapo pauses. For effect of course. I can't help but smile, there always had been something of the bard about my friend.

“He says...'I think he was talking to you!'”

There is the briefest of pauses, and I see Caxtos smirk at this, showing his amusement in his own subdued way. Sacrapo, on the other hand, was never so quiet. He lets out an uproarious laugh, slapping the back of the man to his left so hard he nearly falls over. The unfortunate fellow is Nimo, the Eburone's new, and rather young, Chieftain. The poor lad doesn't look like he knows how to react at first, but seeing the rest of the crowd joining in the laughter he chuckles nervously too. It is good to see. I do not think he, nor any of the Eburone for that matter, have had much to laugh about for a long time.

But such is the magic of a feast.

The great feast of Beltane. It always makes me think of Gwydion, for he truly did enjoy a feast day. He would have laughed to see the tables piled high with food, and young women of the tribes on the prowl, seeking out heroic warriors to sire one of their own. As much as I may live for battle, like any Nervii warrior, I must admit that it is also for days like this that I fight. To celebrate with the friends who still stand beside me. To remember those that are no longer with us, but who have gone on to the Otherworld where they may stand beside the likes of Toutatis himself, and enjoy the rewards of a life well lived. And even to honour our enemies, those that may have taken up arms against us but died a warriors death.

Yes, Gwydion would have loved this. That man had a great appetite in all things..

But while the food and women remind me of him, the bonfire takes my thoughts elsewhere. To his vision. Of what is to come. And of what the gods expect of me. After what I have seen recently, it is not so hard to believe that a darkness is falling across these lands. I can but hope that we shall prove up to the challenges that must lie ahead.

It is a heavy burden to bear. One I know I do not carry alone, but which I do not wish to trouble my friends on a day such as this. Not wanting my sudden black mood to spoil the fun, I walk away from the celebrations and the fires light, and towards the trees that surround us. I need time to think.

It is the first duty of a Chieftain, before all else, to protect his people. This is something the Eburones had clearly forget, for it was only after the battle that we learned of the true nature of Ambriorix depravity.

The Eburones proved to be a shadow of their former selves. Of the few warriors who had survived the battle, most took their own lives rather than face the consequences of their actions. Those that remained refused to speak, or swore terrible oaths that any moment their god Ambriorix would return to slaughter us all for our sins against him. But what of the others? The men not of fighting age? The women and children?

Over the coming days and weeks they came back, drawn by the great funeral pyres we had built to light the dead's path to the Otherworld, and the hope that no matter what fate awaited them at our hands, it would be better than what they had endured already. First in ones and twos, then in dozens and hundreds. Old men, young boys. Women & children. Each with a hollow look in their eyes and each carrying with them a story to chill the blood of even the bravest of warriors.

Many of the tribe had died under Ambriorix reign. Many more were forever scarred by what they had seen. Or done. Or had done to them. None had been left untouched. For Ambriorix had truly been a madman. Paranoid about traitors, anyone he even suspected of being disloyal he would have executed in the most cruel and unusual ways, regardless of age, gender or status. Many Chieftains and Elders met this fate, as did anyone else who he believed threatened his power. Those that remained were only his most loyal and trustworthy, people he had shaped to his own will. They would die for their god, and many had.

But even loyalty was no protection for some. He would kill men, women, even children for the smallest of offences, or for his own amusement, or as a sacrifice, first to the Gods and later to himself. For he truly believed he was a God made flesh.

Even those he did not kill, he would hurt in other ways. The womenfolk of the tribe he treated as his personal property. To be used and discarded on a whim, or awarded as prizes to his men. Children were forced to fight for his entertainment. Those that could, fled to other villages, or found shelter in forests, swamps, anywhere they could survive. In their desperation, many fled into the dark forests of the east and were never seen again, victims perhaps of the beasts who dwell there.

Some, like Nimo, proved themselves far better men than their Chieftain ever was. A goat herder by trade, a man used to living off the lands and surviving in the harshest conditions, he had helped where others would have turned their backs, and been named leader because of it. But there were too few like him.

That Atuatuca had been almost deserted when we arrived had little to do with strategy, and more to do with those that remained being the only ones left. But each of those that did was more monster than man. They had lain in wait for the men I sent to investigate within those walls, and attacked Sacrapo and the others at the same time we'd been attacked on the plains. Thank the gods I listened to Caxtos and sent his men into the settlement to aid them, or I would be mourning two close friends today, not just Gwydion.

I have heard it said that travellers from distant lands consider us barbarians. Having seen what barbarous acts Ambriorix did with my own eyes, I cannot help but think they may be right of some of us... Though not all. May the gods enact a terrible punishment upon that monster in the afterlife, for he died all to easily in this one.

So whilst Nimo may have been but a goat herder not that long ago, with a sense of honesty which sometimes gets him into trouble and a new wife who loves her booze more than she loves him, he also represents hope. That perhaps, under so unlikely a leader as him, and with some guidance from other Chieftains like myself, that the Eburones may one day return to be what they had once been long ago. A tribe known for their craftsmanship and skill, not their leader's insanity. It is a day I hope that, the gods willing, I shall live long enough to see.

Deep in thought, I have walked quite far from the fire and the others. Too far perhaps. I should get back. It is as that thought crosses my mind I hear a sound behind me. I begin to turn.

And that's when I feel a dagger at my throat.

So after a longer than intended delay, I'm happy to say the story of Boduognatus and the Nervii continues. Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement, it's really been a help in what was a rough year. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. There's more to come, so you shouldn't be waiting too long to find out what happens next... but what is a good cliffhanger without the anticipation of what happens next!

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: “Toutatis Favours The Brave” (A Nervii CiG AAR) [Updated 2nd January 2019]

Glad to see it return! It has it all, some light-hearted storytelling round the campfire, to the more sombre recountance of Ambriorix reign of terror and a glimmer hope for the Eburones with their new Chieftain, ending in a cliffhanger.

Great work Welsh Dragon!

Hopefully 2019 brings more joy to you than 2018 brought.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast