Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Punisher

Default Re: The Punisher

All Punisher needs for a show with a story longer than the villain of the week is to take a little inspiration from 24 in how to build a conspiracy.

Theyve already shown they’re able to. Will bet they can get at least one more season.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    All Punisher needs for a show with a story longer than the villain of the week is to take a little inspiration from 24 in how to build a conspiracy.

Theyve already shown they’re able to. Will bet they can get at least one more season.
    They're never getting another season on Netflix, Marvel/Disney wants their properties back...I'd put good money on hearing the cancellation news within a month.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    They're never getting another season on Netflix, Marvel/Disney wants their properties back...I'd put good money on hearing the cancellation news within a month.
    Not the point I was making. The point I was making...since mostly anybody can see Marvel/Disney still willing to play with Punisher(and other Netflix characters) themselves...is that any half creative writer can get beyond Villain of the Week with just a little bit of legwork in their storywork. Oda's just a bit glum.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Maybe glum isn't the word I would use. Just that I was hoping to not see Billy so soon and get a bit of a different story than what we already had. But I wouldn't know where to take this series anyway. Plus I've lost faith in shows and writing in general and have no expectations for anything anymore.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Russo isn't the main antagonist, he's a side show so far and I'm six episodes in.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Punisher is a bit different to the other four heroes in that he was added later. Who knows what the contract was for his specific character.

Anyway I finished it.

Without spoiling...

Bernthal is top class in this role. I just wish they would allow him more moments to be The Punisher. Because you have him as Frank around the people he cares about, you have him when he is chasing down leads, and then you have the full on Punisher persona. We simply do not get enough of him in the full persona, vest and all. Ben Barnes is also ing fantastic as the broken yet incredibly dangerous Billy Russo.

The season was better overall but I wish we had gotten more fight scenes. But the few we did have were pretty damn incredible. The initial fight at the beginning of the season rivals any of Murdock's fight scenes barring the prison breakout in season 3 of Daredevil.

Overall I'm happy it ends without a cliffhanger, but I want one more. No more 13 episode seasons...8-10 and let Frank be the Punisher. He deserves it. We got more Punisher persona in Daredevil than in this.

But...I don't think we will get one. We will see.

Now I rest. I am sick (it hit me like a wall about 12 hours ago) and I am tired. I need sleep.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Yup, there was definitely a lack of Frank having a plan and taking down bad guys in full on Punisher mode. The two plots seemed to focus on Frank being matched by the bad guys. I didn’t mind it so much and the way they played out worked for me. I really liked Pilgrim, though wish they done a bit more with his back story.

Blog Entries

I just think Frank was being too merciful. No matter Pilgrim's reasoning, he shot a cop. No matter the fact the Russian mobster has a family, he is still doing bad .

Comic Frank would have wasted them all. If he was willing to waste a bunch of youth's like he was at the end, I feel like he was far too merciful.

Again...I don't mind character development and slightly different takes on his character...but people want Daredevil Season 2 Punisher. And we see glimpses of him...but not enough.

I hope it gets a third season. Bernthal is just too ing good in his role. But so was Charlie Cox as Matt and...that didn't matter in the end.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Yep, I think they tried to humanise Frank with his connection to the girl and her influence. Maybe they could have had a definite split between Frank and Punisher, but as you said Punisher wasn’t in it enough. Pilgrim was pretty much Frank but on the wrong path, I thought he spared him because his kids would have been orphaned and Billy’s end weighed on Frank’s conscience. They foreshadowed that when Frank told Billy his childhood had been great and he empathised Billy’s childhood.

But you’re right, there was a bit too much feels for Punisher.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    gotta say, im a bit dissapointed. thought russo's face would be all messed up, two-face style. laaaame

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's officially cancelled, surprising no-one.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

the whole punisher shtick gets old pretty fast imo, so its not exactly a loss.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I'm not done with the series yet, but it is rather impressive if unsurprisingly cliched to hell. The writing isn't that bad, although the whole premise of Frank just running into this girl (Amy Bendix, played by Giorgia Wigham) and having all her problems fall into his lap is a bit contrived. I'm also not surprised at all that the show has met the ax thanks to Disney's new streaming service coming out later this year, where they want to be greedy tools and hold all the exclusive rights to Marvel Comics characters. Daredevil being cancelled was the shocker for me, so I simply expected them to cancel this one as well.

So what the hell does Netflix have anymore? They don't even have the latest season of Better Call Saul yet, at least not on my American version of Netflix. They have Medici, which is only okay, and Last Kingdom is a great one, but there are only a handful of shows I care about on their platform. It's a shame Marco Polo's first season was so good and the second one was such a hot mess, had lots of potential, and then bam, also got axed. The guy who played Kublai Khan, Benedict Wong, is definitely underrated. Netflix better come up with some solutions fast, though, because losing rights to Marvel is going to leave a huge gaping hole and subscribers might start to flee the service.

Blog Entries

Daredevil, Punisher, and Jessica Jones were big-ish pulls, I think. The other three shows clearly were not good enough.

Netflix still has (well, shows that are continuing that I am watching or will watch)

Haunting Anthology Series
    The Last Kingdom
    Narcos series
    Medici
    Umbrella Academy
    Kingdom
    Big Mouth
    Russian Doll
    You
    The Norsemen
    Frontier
    Black Mirror
    Chilling Adventures
    Derry Girls

probably a few more.

The last half-year or so it has been a massacre of Netflix originals that are not owned by Netflix. But they are constantly producing content that at the very least is very watchable and they will soon be adapting Millarworld comics to live adaptation (which is probably part of why they pulled the plug on Marvel).

Blog Entries

Stranger Things..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456