Thread: Economy question.

Default Economy question.

Any ideas why my Welsh economy would disintegrate deep into the game. I am at war with one Irish faction but have been prior to my economic depression. I actually added new trade agreements with Rome and the other European factions right before it happened. I did not get recruit crazy - so my military expenses should be similar as they always have been. I thought maybe a plague event still occurs from the original game but my populations are stable. Is there a structure I built that could have crushed my economy? Do family members have a large upkeep and I got fertile? I went from like 5k positive every turn to something like 5k negative every turn.

Default Re: Economy question.

Quote Originally Posted by chance vandal View Post
    Any ideas why my Welsh economy would disintegrate deep into the game. I am at war with one Irish faction but have been prior to my economic depression. I actually added new trade agreements with Rome and the other European factions right before it happened. I did not get recruit crazy - so my military expenses should be similar as they always have been. I thought maybe a plague event still occurs from the original game but my populations are stable. Is there a structure I built that could have crushed my economy? Do family members have a large upkeep and I got fertile? I went from like 5k positive every turn to something like 5k negative every turn.
    Hi hance vandal. It is very important to assimilate(by economic and military buildings) foreign lands to your faction culture. This above all is the most important if you are not careful.actor in the survival of your Empire. Also the upkeep of your Royal family will be extremely important to keep an eye on. They are the most expensive units in the game and can drag your economy into the ground. Upkeep in this game is very high and is to represent the expense of a field army so this also must be kept in check. Let me know if any of these suggestions are of help. Any pics of the campaign?
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 18, 2017 at 06:07 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	347223

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	347224

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	347225
    Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Hi hance vandal. It is very important to assimilate(by economic and military buildings) foreign lands to your faction culture. This above all is the most important if you are not careful.actor in the survival of your Empire. Also the upkeep of your Royal family will be extremely important to keep an eye on. They are the most expensive units in the game and can drag your economy into the ground. Upkeep in this game is very high and is to represent the expense of a field army so this also must be kept in check. Let me know if any of these suggestions are of help. Any pics of the campaign?

I don't know if this helps. I am a builder not a fighter so I have wharfs and roads everywhere etc. My inner towns are light garrisons like this shot of the capital. The money problem seemed to happen instantly and I have been using the AI's ignorance to give me towns from the yellow colored Irish and stripping them of everything and disbanding the new troops to stay afloat.

I don't know if this helps. I am a builder not a fighter so I have wharfs and roads everywhere etc. My inner towns are light garrisons like this shot of the capital. The money problem seemed to happen instantly and I have been using the AI's ignorance to give me towns from the yellow colored Irish and stripping them of everything and disbanding the new troops to stay afloat.
    Awesome Pics! It looks like a heavy Royal family load. Don't accept new members into the Royal family for awhile. The upkeep looks like it is dragging your econ down.

Do you know the precise cost of family member upkeep? For the Welsh specifically if its variable by faction.

I'm currently installing all my mods onto my new computer and haven't made it to Britanniae yet but I should have it Downloaded in a few hours. I will post it soon. I want to say 1,700 but I'm not sure. The Royal family body guards increases in size compared to a Non family member and are even more expensive to upkeep. The factions do vary in upkeep and the more Roman type factions are the most expensive. It is more by culture that they vary in costs. They are very strong units but also very expensive.

The faction you are playing is a difficult one financially. You will need to eventually spread into some of the more fertile lands.

Strategy Guides by Theramines is very useful too
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 19, 2017 at 10:13 AM.

My grandmother (the genealogist) charted our ancestry back to Cunedda so it had to be my first choice in factions. I have no idea if she exaggerated and have never checked her work myself so idk. I'm more coin nerd than lineage detective I will take your game advice and the kings daughters are now off limits to suitors.

My grandmother (the genealogist) charted our ancestry back to Cunedda so it had to be my first choice in factions. I have no idea if she exaggerated and have never checked her work myself so idk. I'm more coin nerd than lineage detective I will take your game advice and the kings daughters are now off limits to suitors.
    Fascinating! It's my favorite time in history. I have been to England. Bath Stonehenge and London but not yet Wales. I will soon. Early Powys and Gwynedd its quite the historical paradox. I love the Brythonic celtic poetry and stories. Once you take Powys in your game, the game will become interesting
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 19, 2017 at 04:21 PM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Wow! That's truly remarkable! How did she manage to track back your ancestry so late in the past, I wonder?

Regarding your faction's economy, I can see that there is a huge disproportion between your trade income and the army upkeep.

It's hard for me to talk about the Celtic factions, as I've never really played either of them, but in all the other caimpaigns I've played, I observed that to maintain the economical balance your army upkeep needs to be at the pretty much the same level of your trade income - perhaps a bit higher if necessary, but not much.

If you want to enlarge your army you will thus have to develop your economy a bit more.

I don't know all the details but I think if you can trace lineage to a Magna Carta signer or some "famous" English line then the records are actually pretty good. That's my recollection from a young age so it may or may not be accurate. I just focused on the whole Cunedda part. Riothamus you helped kick me into modding and I messed around with generals' costs and then started trying wholesale changes in rome vanilla to learn more. I now at least no what a .tga is and its not Roman garments. I played as some of the Europe based factions in your masterpiece too. Your breadth of both buildings and units is awesome. Really fun game play, thanks for the good work.